Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/danielwarren86/status/1379937711977553920

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Those are the ones. I even remember that Mutiny cover!

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I prefer patrick's version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WejTV7r3tkU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This was about my experience trying to read it recently too, yeah. The most tedious possible people to ever exist with far too much money.

Come to think of it half the fun of Monte Cristo is that the story in general and the Count in particular is all about loving with those people.

I know, right?! Although, I did hear a critique about these types of period-piece romances which gave me a better understanding as to why (or at least, one reason) they are popular, even though I still don't like them.

Also, I know I'm slow off the bat with this, but Trixie Slaughteraxe is pretty fantastic story-wise (art potentially slightly better than power-up's stuff), and Hitmen for Destiny has some scenes in it which had me collapsed on the floor, laughing.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

hell yeah Gamera

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The fifth panel isn't wrong because that's the part in the series where they're using entire galaxies as floors and weapons, it'll just step on them

:goonsay:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Gurren Lagaan is powered by spirals and friendship, Barney is all about shapes and love. They would be on the same side.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Elfface posted:

Gurren Lagaan is powered by spirals and friendship, Barney is all about shapes and love. They would be on the same side.

Barney would be a beastman though so it depends on if he's harboring a pre-timeskip grudge

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

His mustache is more fearsome than I had even imagined

Bar7holomew

It is Ernest Goes to Camp. That is an acceptable movie to cry at.

My pen pals are going to love this!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Samovar posted:

I know, right?! Although, I did hear a critique about these types of period-piece romances which gave me a better understanding as to why (or at least, one reason) they are popular, even though I still don't like them.

...so are you gonna tell us?

Does get funny since there's a few chapters where the Count actively unwinds by spending some time with the family of his old boss who was an honest businessman he bailed out from bankruptcy, which on top of tying into the ending twist is an interesting touch since he's pretty openly spending some time with decent people to decompress from loving with noveau rich assholes.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Fools Infinite posted:

I thought we talked about this, no straight on drawings of Reginald, its creepy.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Zil posted:

I thought we talked about this, no straight on drawings of Reginald, its creepy.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Those are 3/4 reginald which is fine. This is what you are looking for:

Not pictured: screaming

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Fools Infinite posted:

This is what you are looking for:

Debatable

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

When I was littlish, we were watching Lassie and it was making me cry due to all the powerful emotional content, so I went under the sofa table to hide my tears. I was also playing with an alarm clock and somehow managed to get the key stuck in my throat. I couldn't make a sound so there I was hidden under the sofa table so no-one could see me, with tears rolling down my cheeks and choking on a loving alarm clock key while the rest of the family was watching Lassie quite at ease.

It dislodged itself so I didn't die.

e: Moral of the story: it's OK to cry, especially if you're like 4.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

3D Megadoodoo posted:

When I was littlish, we were watching Lassie and it was making me cry due to all the powerful emotional content, so I went under the sofa table to hide my tears. I was also playing with an alarm clock and somehow managed to get the key stuck in my throat. I couldn't make a sound so there I was hidden under the sofa table so no-one could see me, with tears rolling down my cheeks and choking on a loving alarm clock key while the rest of the family was watching Lassie quite at ease.

this explains a lot

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

3D Megadoodoo posted:

is it still in?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

3D Megadoodoo posted:

So the clock key got stuck and it made you unable to tock

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Phy posted:

So the clock key got stuck and it made you unable to tock

:vince:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Count of Monte Cristo belongs in the media that did not age well thread. There's a subplot with the Count buying a child slave, raising her, then marrying her in the end. (Not included in the Wishbone version)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Another reason to just stick with the 2002 adaptation.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Because Wishbone is a COWARD!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Foxfire_ posted:

Count of Monte Cristo belongs in the media that did not age well thread. There's a subplot with the Count buying a child slave, raising her, then marrying her in the end. (Not included in the Wishbone version)

Was she a child? I thought she was around 20, and Dantes was, like, 35. But I might be mixing up various movies and the book. Haven't read/seen either in ages.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
I had those abridged books too. My favourite was the Gold-Bug by Edgar Allen Poe. I read the full thing this year for the first time and I guess they must have abridged the racism out too. Talk about a story that didn't age well, woof.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't think Dantes is a paragon of humanity regardless of slaves.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Fools Infinite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tesSq-0yzog

:cry:

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Paladinus posted:

Was she a child? I thought she was around 20, and Dantes was, like, 35. But I might be mixing up various movies and the book. Haven't read/seen either in ages.
She's 13 when he buys her in the book. Movies/stage adaptations generally either cut her character entirely or age her up.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Fools Infinite posted:

Not gonna lie, I straight wept when he gets fired and he's singing to his turtle.

gently caress yyyooooouuuuu

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Foxfire_ posted:

She's 13 when he buys her in the book. Movies/stage adaptations generally either cut her character entirely or age her up.
What probably complicates matters is that this was what happened with Dumas' grandparents, so I would be inclined to cut him some slack, despite death of the author and so forth.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Nessus posted:

What probably complicates matters is that this was what happened with Dumas' grandparents, so I would be inclined to cut him some slack, despite death of the author and so forth.

Listen, just because the creep who wrote the book is dead, it doesn't mean his gross subplot should be ignored.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

More like Alexandre Dumbass :jerkbag:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

hazardousmouse posted:

Not gonna lie, I straight wept when he gets fired and he's singing to his turtle.

gently caress yyyooooouuuuu

:tipshat: :sympathy:

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

The best/worst attempt at Bart from the front:

Does anyone have that comic with two dogs or bears and one of them yells “I’m too fluffy!?!”

Rahonavis has a new favorite as of 04:56 on Apr 9, 2021

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

I do not think that Furry Homer is your fave comic

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ghost Leviathan posted:

...so are you gonna tell us?

Oh, sorry - what I heard was that the setting of these romances allowed for a relatively mainstream exploration of romantic relationships where there are rules/code of conduct which effectively 'protects' characters from the dangers that one can have with more modern-day relationships.

Kind of like how there's war fiction. All the 'excitement' of fighting without any of the risk.

(Please note, this is not me being nostalgic for the old days in any way whatsoever - I know well that what codes there were were more often than not disgustingly reactionary, and only applied to 'acceptable' classes.)