Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

kingcobweb posted:

Can someone explain to me why the unstated assumption from everyone seems to be that the Suns won’t actually be good in the playoffs?

It's not that they won't be good in the playoffs, it's that they will have to face LeBron to make the Finals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

kingcobweb posted:

Can someone explain to me why the unstated assumption from everyone seems to be that the Suns won’t actually be good in the playoffs?

who do they have a good matchup against? Utah had the worst shooting night of their season and took them to OT. who would shock you by beating the Phoenix suns?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Strawberry Panda posted:

It's not that they won't be good in the playoffs, it's that they will have to face LeBron to make the Finals.

if you think the Lakers are probably going back to the finals, this is also true for every other team, but the Nets, Clippers, Jazz, Bucks, Nuggets, Sixers, and Heat (?!) have better Vegas odds to win the championship right now.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

kingcobweb posted:

if you think the Lakers are probably going back to the finals, this is also true for every other team, but the Nets, Clippers, Jazz, Bucks, Nuggets, Sixers, and Heat (?!) have better Vegas odds to win the championship right now.

I'm saying more so that people have a hard time seeing LeBron not making it to the Finals since he's been there every year he's made the playoffs since 2011. Which is why people don't see the Jazz or the Suns doing it, even though they have the talent to.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Who's the most disappointing lottery pick thus far? I'm kind of disappointed Obi Toppin hasn't come close to justifying any of that dark horse ROTY poo poo

Also most of the hype I've seen on the 2021 draft isn't as much about the top of the draft as it is the depth and the number of players who project to be base hits at least, like middle-back of the first round

rivetz fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 8, 2021

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

rivetz posted:

Who's the most disappointing lottery pick thus far? I'm kind of disappointed Obi Toppin hasn't come close to justifying any of that dark horse ROTY poo poo

Also most of the hype I've seen on the 2021 draft isn't as much about the top of the draft as it is the depth and the number of players who project to be base hits at least, like middle-back of the first round

I suppose it depends on how much you want to make out of seven extremely bad games for Killian Hayes but assuming you throw that out then worst generally is probably Okoro. Toppin being bad might be the most concerning long term though since he's older and being NBA ready was supposed to be his whole deal

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kingcobweb posted:

Jazz have been better all year so that seems like an easy one, people trust the Clippers stars in the playoffs more, and Nuggets were just in the conference finals last year and have been hot. But yeah personally I'd probably put them above the Clippers at least there.

A few Eastern teams having better odds makes sense to since they have an easier path to make the finals and you can't win the finals without making it to them. The heat thing is just people overreacting to last year which I agree is dumb but I'd probably put Sixers, Bucks, and Nets above the Suns too just because they all have an easier path to get there.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I’m pretty sure the Clippers are destined to go out in the first round this time, just to prove a point.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah finals seem wide open to me this year if Lebron and AD aren’t fully right.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Fast Luck posted:

i know topshot talk is verboten but it PISSES ME OFF there is not yet a poku card because if there was i would have bought it long ago. i need to put my kid through college, with a poku card!

I don't think it's forbidden. If people want to talk about krazy kards I think they're free to do it. It's just a little silly, but so is bitcoin and all these other money making ponzi things

Good call by astupid crazyman and shamblercow on the suns. drat

Gary Washburn: Tristan Thompson on the rumors of being unpopular in the #Celtics locker room: “I laughed. In my 10 years of playing basketball, I don’t there’s one teammate that doesn’t like me in the locker room. I know that was full of poo poo.” #Celtics

I have no idea what this TT thing is about, but I love the idea of saying nobody you worked with in 10 years doesn't like you. I feel like I'm a pretty cordial person and I'd say at least 11% of people I worked with think I'm a dickhead rear end in a top hat

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Metapod posted:

Suns fans taking every opportunity to bash ayton

Tag my name when you think of me metapod. I’ll fight you in the afcs mud hole

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Chris Paul things in here

https://twitter.com/TheNBAHustle/status/1380025483803250688

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/chrisvernonshow/status/1379982554560933892?s=21

It’s nice to be on a hot streak, but I really need the Fox Sports Go app on my Xbox to switch over to Bally Sports so I can watch these games!

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I finally am willing to say it:

The Phoenix Suns

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Big Jeff

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

It's not shrewd. Klay is known for being a two-way player way moreso than he's known for not dribbling.

MPJ is not a two-way player.

Why make "what the player's known for" the point of comparison when it's clearly about how those players get buckets in their respective offenses?

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1380160900703911936

welcome home, king

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Will be a little surprised if the Magic don't fire Clifford in the offseason, they've basically been forced to trade/cut guys so he'll give Mo Bamba minutes. He's a solid coach but not really someone you want in charge of a rebuild

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Lol

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

morestuff posted:

Will be a little surprised if the Magic don't fire Clifford in the offseason, they've basically been forced to trade/cut guys so he'll give Mo Bamba minutes. He's a solid coach but not really someone you want in charge of a rebuild

I think a coach who teaches your guys how to defend is exactly what you want for a rebuild. It's not like he refused to play young guys, he just didnt play Mo Bamba, who sucks bad

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

That's Zach Lowe's music!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Mo Bamba has looked pretty good lately now that he actually gets to play and has always had good rim protection numbers in a limited sample, I still believe, even if it may not happen until the magic and their busted roster of long armed freaks who can't shoot let him walk and a good team scoops him up on the cheap

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

This can at least allow Baynes to play off the bench more which he occasionally excels at.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NickRoweFillea posted:

https://twitter.com/chrisvernonshow/status/1379982554560933892?s=21

It’s nice to be on a hot streak, but I really need the Fox Sports Go app on my Xbox to switch over to Bally Sports so I can watch these games!

Actually the greatest thing I've ever seen.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Khem birch seems like a fine player if he's playing 15 minutes a game as your 9th/10th man. How much more playing time does he expect to get?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

big boi posted:

Why make "what the player's known for" the point of comparison when it's clearly about how those players get buckets in their respective offenses?

i still don't think the comparison is very useful, except in the basic "these guys are both good shooters" and "they get their shots off the catch" sense. Klay played in motion offense where he got his shots coming off screens, Porter gets most of his shots as a spot shooter and cutter going to the basket.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I woke up missing Matt Bonner today.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/MarkG_Medina/status/1380189818945081344

Congrats to McLemore for being first guard off the bench tonight

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/FredVanVleet/status/1380192515391901701

this "altercation" was so freaking soft and overblown. would've just been a tech on OG (who apologized to dennis) if montrezl didn't come in chest puffed out to let everyone know he's a tough guy

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Paul Zuvella posted:

Khem birch seems like a fine player if he's playing 15 minutes a game as your 9th/10th man. How much more playing time does he expect to get?

Well he's now on a team whose centre depth is OG Anunoby - Aron Baynes - end list so he's got as good a shot as he will at getting more minutes.

The suspension to Bembry means that Toronto's top three point guards are all out. I guess they start Flynn and then I guess use Stanley Johnson off the bench?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I cannot wait to see how the Bulls managed to lose this game

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

Well he's now on a team whose centre depth is OG Anunoby - Aron Baynes - end list so he's got as good a shot as he will at getting more minutes.

The suspension to Bembry means that Toronto's top three point guards are all out. I guess they start Flynn and then I guess use Stanley Johnson off the bench?

Maybe we can get JV back in the off-season. Or sign Nordic assuming he's still good

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

poo poo is rough when D league guys are asking out.

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/MarkG_Medina/status/1380189818945081344

Congrats to McLemore for being first guard off the bench tonight

lol this dumb nothing player conflict that should not have lead to anything more than a double tech now having fines and three other players suspended is some poo poo.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

How can anyone hate CP3? He's short and petty and his commercials are actually mildly funny.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/AndrewKSchlecht/status/1380220190949003268

lol

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I will never apologize to Suns Twitter.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

nikosoft posted:

How can anyone hate CP3? He's short and petty and his commercials are actually mildly funny.

Most of it seems to be based off of inopportune nut punching.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Spacebump posted:

Most of it seems to be based off of inopportune nut punching.

also just generally seems like kind of a jerk and is a big crybaby and those commericals fuckin stink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

kingcobweb posted:

They will do great at home in the playoffs but things will fall apart when Sarver insists they take a bus to away games