Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I purchased a 2010 crv for my mom with 80k miles on it for 10k and it does pretty well in Vermont. Ive driven it a fair bit in Vermont winter. No issues with it yet. I’d rate Subaru awd as definitely a better system but not totally necessary. The crv spends most of its time in 2wd but it kicks in for her driveway. Snow tires a must. She had a Subaru before and it fell apart, reliability seemed questionable on 10k price range subarus at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Can someone tell me if I got a fluke with my credit union, or is this par for the course?

I place my Carvana order, I do the paperwork. I did the loan application with the CU, went through underwriting, got approved.

Carvana needs the images of a check or bank drafting instructions from the CU in order to finalize the delivery. There's a deadline before the car goes back on the market and could get sold.

CU wants a copy of the contract. The contract is dated for the date of delivery. This can't be changed - it's effective the date of delivery.

CU says to come back the date of delivery. Carvana can't change the delivery date without doing a new contract, which would still have the date of delivery. In the future.

CU shrugs, says they can't do a post-dated check or draft instructions without actually disbursing the loan, which has to be the same date.

Carvana can't do anything without the CU changing something, CU can't do anything without Carvana changing something. It took a couple of hours in person at the CU branch and on the phone with them and Carvana, and eventually the CU kicked it up the chain and made an exception.

The CU, of course, doesn't send checks or such online - gotta go pick it up in person, at a branch. Or have it mailed. Of course the CU doesn't do "we'll give you a check for up to the pre-approved amount of $X, drawn for your loan" - has to be the dollar amount to go to the dealer.

Is this how it normally goes with credit unions and Carvana?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I didn’t realize it was that much of a trade off / tension.

AWD is to help safely go up steep snowy mountains.

AWD adds a bunch of finicky differentials and clutch packs and computers and...

You could get a crosstrek like the poster above said and it would be really good at getting up snowy mountains. It's also a turbo flat 4 with a complicated drivetrain.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Both of the Crosstrek engines are N/A IIRC

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

KillHour posted:

crosstrek ... turbo flat 4

The Crosstrek would be a much better vehicle if it had a turbo, but alas

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

KillHour posted:

It's also a turbo flat 4 with a complicated drivetrain.

It's not a turbo (gently caress i wish) but what's the issue with it being a flat-4?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I didn’t realize it was that much of a trade off / tension.

AWD is to help safely go up steep snowy mountains.

What kind of steep snowy mountain roads? 99% of the time you'll be fine with good snow tires and driving skill.
(I say this as someone who owns a Crosstrek because CalTrans has weird ideas that AWD + M+S tires means no need for chains to get over Donner)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

also note that all automatic versions of those subarus are using CVTs, and the online rumors are that the CVTs all die at around 100k and are very expensive to replace?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Anecdotal evidence but my mom's Crosstrek CVT has been substantially more reliable than her Forster and Legacy 4EATs. CVTs are probably fine in low power applications as long as they aren't Nissan and you don't abuse them or tow with em. The early ones are like ten years old now and I think results have been pretty acceptable. It's chain based rather than belt based, so in theory should hold up a lot better than the old Audi and Nissan/JATCO boxes (not that it takes much).

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think the CVT is the main reason I’ve ruled out getting a Levorg despite liking it a lot. Subarus reliability hasn’t been good for quite a while and having replaced a DCT clutch recently I don’t want any more transmission woes.

The Toyota eCVT is CVT in name only right? It’s the same drivetrain as the Prius?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

KillHour posted:

AWD adds a bunch of finicky differentials and clutch packs and computers and...

You could get a crosstrek like the poster above said and it would be really good at getting up snowy mountains. It's also a turbo flat 4 with a complicated drivetrain.
People keep saying this but with well designed systems is seems like BS. The most reliable part of any subaru or audi is the AWD system. The engine or transmission (esp in CVT subarus) will fail long before the center diffs.
Now, you do have twice the CV boots and what not, so there is an extra cost, but the only reason AWD vehicles seem to be unreliable is most of them are subarus and audis.

Additionally, you can get caught out on low volume AWD systems and some parts. Like, no one makes M35x front shocks except infiniti, which means the shocks are like $1000/corner v. a few hundred bux on the RWd model, but that's hardly due to the drivetrain.

Most people shouldn't get AWD because it shoehorns them into subarus and Audis and the FE, and the tire, etc, but talking about actual failures of AWD system components is kind of junk.

Also, as others have pointed out there's no turbo in the crosstrek, which is a good, if slow, thing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ah yes Audi known reliability paragons

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

ah yes Audi known reliability paragons
The Audi AWD system, particularly the torsen one, is reliable as hell. It isn't the AWD's system fault they built a VW around it.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

ethanol posted:

I purchased a 2010 crv for my mom with 80k miles on it for 10k and it does pretty well in Vermont. Ive driven it a fair bit in Vermont winter. No issues with it yet. I’d rate Subaru awd as definitely a better system but not totally necessary. The crv spends most of its time in 2wd but it kicks in for her driveway. Snow tires a must. She had a Subaru before and it fell apart, reliability seemed questionable on 10k price range subarus at the time.

This is the answer, as long as you only need "FWD with occasional help" AWD instead of something with maximum capability.

Older CR-Vs and RAV4s might still run into the "$10k gets you something 10 years old with 100k miles on it" problem, because the used car market is batshit right now, but they're for the most part very reliable, and driven by a demographic that usually doesn't abuse their cars too badly.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Space Gopher posted:

This is the answer, as long as you only need "FWD with occasional help" AWD instead of something with maximum capability.

Older CR-Vs and RAV4s might still run into the "$10k gets you something 10 years old with 100k miles on it" problem, because the used car market is batshit right now, but they're for the most part very reliable, and driven by a demographic that usually doesn't abuse their cars too badly.

it was 8 years old at the time

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

nm posted:

The Audi AWD system, particularly the torsen one, is reliable as hell. It isn't the AWD's system fault they built a VW around it.

I know the Torsen system is pretty reliable, it's just funny when you couch it as "it's the most reliable part of the [extremely, absurdly unreliable] car!"

edit: older Subaru diffs were pretty prone to issues but I think that's mostly gone away.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Guinness posted:

The Crosstrek would be a much better vehicle if it had a turbo, but alas

Wow I just assumed it was because why the hell would a modernish 2L 4 be NA? That's just sad. Are we sure it can even get up a mountain?

luminalflux posted:

It's not a turbo (gently caress i wish) but what's the issue with it being a flat-4?

Two heads, which means twice as many top end things to theoretically go wrong. Also, I hear they're a PITA to work on and most shops probably don't have a ton of experience with them because the only manufacturers who still use them are Subaru and Porsche.

nm posted:

People keep saying this but with well designed systems is seems like BS. The most reliable part of any subaru or audi is the AWD system. The engine or transmission (esp in CVT subarus) will fail long before the center diffs.
Now, you do have twice the CV boots and what not, so there is an extra cost, but the only reason AWD vehicles seem to be unreliable is most of them are subarus and audis.

You're not really hurting my case here.

Also, I'm benchmarking this against a Prius, which has an absurdly simple (and genius) drivetrain. I'm not saying the AWD system will fail; I'm just saying it's yet another thing to go wrong on a not very reliable car.

Space Gopher posted:

I forgot about this because I figured they would be too expensive. This is probably the right answer though.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 9, 2021

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
PSA: You can get the Prius with AWD now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

Two heads, which means twice as many top end things to theoretically go wrong. Also, I hear they're a PITA to work on and most shops probably don't have a ton of experience with them because the only manufacturers who still use them are Subaru and Porsche.

maybe it's because for most of my life I lived in New England where Subarus are incredibly common but I've never heard anyone complaining about availability of shops to work on Subarus.

Some things are harder than I4s, some things are easier.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

maybe it's because for most of my life I lived in New England where Subarus are incredibly common but I've never heard anyone complaining about availability of shops to work on Subarus.

Some things are harder than I4s, some things are easier.

In CA, you can find a bunch of shops that will work on subarus but a lot fewer that should, particularly high ticket jobs like the inevitable engine or transmission rebuild.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

nm posted:

In CA, you can find a bunch of shops that will work on subarus but a lot fewer that should, particularly high ticket jobs like the inevitable engine or transmission rebuild.

this is true of pretty much every brand once you get in to that scope of repair

nm
Jan 28, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this is true of pretty much every brand once you get in to that scope of repair

Yeah, but how often do you need your Rav4 engine rebuilt?
(TBF, I had a friend who's Rav4 went through a bunch of transmissions, but I think they were all paid for by toyota)

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

MJP posted:

Is this how it normally goes with credit unions and Carvana?
My CU flat out refused to work with Carvana at all :(

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

remigious posted:

My CU flat out refused to work with Carvana at all :(

Any reason, maybe a bad story? Seems odd. Like if my bank was like "any car dealer is fine EXCEPT FOR BOB NEWCAR'S NEW AND USED CARS" I would feel compelled to learn more about what happened. It can't be good.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

jokes posted:

Any reason, maybe a bad story? Seems odd. Like if my bank was like "any car dealer is fine EXCEPT FOR BOB NEWCAR'S NEW AND USED CARS" I would feel compelled to learn more about what happened. It can't be good.

They said they had “issues with payments” with Carvana in the past, unfortunately I don’t have any specifics.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The thing that's weird to me is the bank/CU doesn't need to know anything about where you're buying it from than what name to put on the cashier's check. Like, after you give Carvana that check, they have nothing to do with the car any more - it's all between you and the bank/CU.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Well dang now I wish I had asked more questions about it. I ended up finding the exact car I was looking for at a local dealership anyway so I wasn’t too bothered at the time.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

vandalism posted:

Sup car goon-ru. I am in the market for a new (used) car to replace a Jeep Patriot.

Here are my thoughts about what I'd like to have in this car:

Proposed Budget: $25-30k
New or Used: used
Body Style: SUV
How will you be using the car?: Trekking across the midwest, commuting to work, running errands, transporting dogs in crates (have to have 48" of cargo width in the back.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, longevity, resale value, 4wd (live out in the country)
I live in the good old 'Merica and I can drive anywhere to buy the thing. Currently the Patriot is listed at like $7k trade-in on Carvana, so that will help if I go toward the 30k end of the budget.

Any ideas?

I haul dog crates as well and in my experience it is usually cheaper and easier to maximise the usable space by building custom cages that fit your car than to buy a car that fits around your crate. A nice built cage is like 1000€ which is nothing when buying cars. Also, minivans or just vans are much better at utilising cargo or passenger space than SUVs of similar size, so for example I think that an AWD Sienna would fit your criteria. But I don't know your specific needs, so if you absolutely need to have 48" width and an SUV then your options will be more limited.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The hassle with traditional loans if you aren’t buying from a dealer are why my last 2 loans have been through lightstream. The last one had higher interest than I could have gotten through my CU but I don’t care because the guy still had a loan out on the car and it would have been a huge hassle. I could have refinanced it later but I’m lazy and don’t care. If you have good credit/income I highly recommend them. The money just shows up in your account and you keep the title and everything.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
If you willing to pay though the nose, the list of people willing to throw money at you is endless. A quick search brings up dozens of services that will lend you money at a higher interest rate than an established institution. Chances are, those loans are still going to be underwritten by BoA/Chase/Wellsfargo and they are acting as a middlemen.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Thanks for the information, thread. There’s still a lot I don’t know about cars and the car buying process.

RAV4s, CR-Vs, and crosstek all look good.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Seconding Lightstream for a very easy experience even on an older used car

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My mom has a crosstrek and I fail to understand the appeal. Atrocious powertrain, cheap interior, gimmicky styling.

It was relatively small, cheap, and AWD which is why she bought it and I guess why it appeals to people, but most people don't have to drive to the hospital in the winter in Vermont.

KillHour posted:

Wow I just assumed it was because why the hell would a modernish 2L 4 be NA? That's just sad. Are we sure it can even get up a mountain?

My mom also has one of these and a couple years ago I had to drive it about 4 hours across a mountain pass for reasons and it was one of the most unpleasant driving experiences of my entire life. The thing is hideously uncomfortable, unstable in corners, has a bad driving position, has poor rear corner visibility despite feeling like you're sitting on a bar stool, the transmission sucks, and you have to floor it to keep up with traffic going up grades. At the top of the pass I had to keep my foot on the floor to keep up with traffic on a nearly level stretch and it just felt like it was choking to death.

Also it's had no fewer than 3 major mechanical issues requiring a tow in as many years.

It's a piece of poo poo and is one of the few new cars I'd unequivocally tell people not to buy under any circumstances.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

My only experience with Subaru was a 2012 Impreza that I bought new out of college. It started making a loud pounding sound from the back about 500 miles in and after a month at the dealer I was advised that it was “probably just the fuel tank coming a little loose” and that they didn’t have the staffing to fix it. Sold it about a month later and never looked back.

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009
A friend paid cash for used truck that died in 20 minutes off the lot.

I don't have all the details but it happened here in Texas, are they screwed? Is there any recourse whatsoever?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Look into, well have your friend have a lawyer look into, Texas's laws on this States generally protect car buyers somewhat more than they do general consumer purchases, but the specific protections vary between states.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Oldest Man posted:

My mom also has one of these and a couple years ago I had to drive it about 4 hours across a mountain pass for reasons and it was one of the most unpleasant driving experiences of my entire life. The thing is hideously uncomfortable, unstable in corners, has a bad driving position, has poor rear corner visibility despite feeling like you're sitting on a bar stool, the transmission sucks, and you have to floor it to keep up with traffic going up grades. At the top of the pass I had to keep my foot on the floor to keep up with traffic on a nearly level stretch and it just felt like it was choking to death.

Also it's had no fewer than 3 major mechanical issues requiring a tow in as many years.

It's a piece of poo poo and is one of the few new cars I'd unequivocally tell people not to buy under any circumstances.

I assume this was out west and at altitude because of the pass references, and I cannot imagine how gutless that little NA 2.0 is at altitude.

I think it corners OK. There's a good amount of roll but it'll keep a line that you set it on pretty well. Otherwise I generally agree. It's an OK way to get AWD as cheap as possible but beyond that I don't understand the appeal.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Throatwarbler posted:

PSA: You can get the Prius with AWD now.

These 2021’s I’m looking at are starting around $25k. Hopefully used ones will be at a plausible price point for me in a year or so.

But the ground clearance seems super low. Idk if they’d do well going up a snowy mountain.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Prius AWD is going to be mostly useful for getting unstuck, going up a slippery hill, or driving on a road that is somewhat managed in a snowstorm like an interstate or major highway. Due to ground clearance you'll run in to the snowplowing problem relatively quick (where your bumper acts as a snowplow and builds up a nice big pile of snow) and basically no amount of power and traction will solve that issue.

My general opinion is that if you really need AWD for poor weather traction you are relatively likely to need more ground clearance as well. AWD for high power applications, that's a different story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My Prius got through the Blizzard here in Colorado a few weeks ago like an absolute champ. There were times I thought it was done but it just kept going.