Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

ios is not transparent on which device others are sending messages to, so that is going to get very confusing and/or frustrating for people trying to get in touch with you, unless you straight up turn it off on an ipad when you’re not using it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
If you never deregister your phone number from iMessage it should still work just fine.

But it does mean that when any Apple user tries to send a message to your phone number, it will come through as an iMessgae and your dumb phone will not receive anything.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I was going to pick up an 8th gen iPad almost purely for comic reading, but now I'm leaning toward the Air.

Its hardware design is super appealing. The screen is bigger, with an aspect ratio that's a little more comic-friendly. I've been thinking about picking up a drawing tablet for the first time in 15+ years and everyone seems to love that aspect. It would handle the light stuff I do with my 2017 Macbook Air, so I could sell that to justify the price jump. Plus I found a retailer that doesn't charge sales tax in my state.

Those rounded screen corners are the only thing I'm not in love with. The seemingly common backlight bleeding issue is a little worrying too, but I drop my screen brightness and won't be watching movies so it would only bother me if it was severe.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I was going to pick up an 8th gen iPad almost purely for comic reading, but now I'm leaning toward the Air.

Its hardware design is super appealing. The screen is bigger, with an aspect ratio that's a little more comic-friendly. I've been thinking about picking up a drawing tablet for the first time in 15+ years and everyone seems to love that aspect. It would handle the light stuff I do with my 2017 Macbook Air, so I could sell that to justify the price jump. Plus I found a retailer that doesn't charge sales tax in my state.

Those rounded screen corners are the only thing I'm not in love with. The seemingly common backlight bleeding issue is a little worrying too, but I drop my screen brightness and won't be watching movies so it would only bother me if it was severe.

Get the Air! I love mine and use it a lot for class and art.

I had the 8th Gen iPad and while it's nice, the Air is a whole lot better.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The backlight bleeding thing seems like a Macrumors obsession and not something you’d notice actually using it

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I pretty much picked up my Air for comic reading too, i guess it was a bit overkill but it does a great job at that. Being able to do some minor graphic design tasks and play around with digital drawing no matter how bad i am at it is also pretty great!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I notice the backlight bleed only when reading at night with the backlight cranked up super high, which is probably a bad idea anyway. It's basically a non-issue. I would take a picture of mine, but phone cameras love to mess with the exposure to blow things like that way out of proportion.

I think it would be totally fine for reading comics. I only notice it in the Books app because I read with a black background and light text anyway.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So I have the 10.5” iPad Pro. I now am working at home and use it as part of my desk mostly for messaging. So I figure I might want to look at Bluetooth keyboard options.

I don’t need a keyboard case per say, because A. I won’t need it if I pick it up and take it to another room after work, and B. I’ll probably upgrade at some point so I would rather the same case works for the next iPad.

Anyone use this keyboard or something like it ? I really don’t need a fancy option , although decent travel on the keys is obviously preferred:

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-K380-Multi-Device-Bluetooth-Keyboard/dp/B0148NPH9I

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

You probably wanna get something with a trackpad since iOS supports it now, like the Logitech K400.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mattavist posted:

You probably wanna get something with a trackpad since iOS supports it now, like the Logitech K400.

This looks perfect....except I prefer the track pad on the left side (I’m righty, but weird, i only use my left hand for the track pad).

Some very quick searching doesn’t show a version with the track pad on the other side. But this is a great starting point thanks !

Edit: I still may end up getting this one, looking at it, it should still be useable with my left hand, and it’s my secondary device so I don’t need it to be 100% efficient.

Edit 2: looks like this one requires a USB slot for the receiver. I’ll keep looking for something like this that is iPad compatible.

Edit 3: in terms of combined options that are iPad friendly , there seem to be few to limited (from main brands at least). Honestly this keyboard seems fine , on sale and compact, pretty much what I need.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-K380-Multi-Device-Bluetooth-Keyboard/dp/B0148NPH9I

So I’ll likely go with that one. I’ve had good luck with Logitech and $27 is not bad.

Edit: here’s the one combo one that seems like it would work. I’ll be sleeping on which one to get.

https://www.amazon.com/Multi-Device-Bluetooth-Jelly-Comb-Rechargeable/dp/B08RC3691M

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 28, 2021

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Edit 3: in terms of combined options that are iPad friendly , there seem to be few to limited (from main brands at least). Honestly this keyboard seems fine , on sale and compact, pretty much what I need.

So I’ll likely go with that one. I’ve had good luck with Logitech and $27 is not bad.
This is the keyboard I use with my PC and I love it. The keys travel + feel similar to my 13-inch MacBook Air's keyboard, and it's about the same size. When I pick up my iPad I plan to keep using the K380 and just buy a simple stand.

I got used to the rounded keys very quickly (and honestly prefer them now) but your mileage may vary.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
wtf happened to my iPad? Warranty ends in 8 days lol. Wife said last that there were random lines appearing when she was watching netflix in bed. And this morning it's black and white and looks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tanbH-ev0aM

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Sounds like Apple missed their mark by 8 days.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Whatever it is hopefully you made your appointment already.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'd do it online. That's definitely a replacement and you don't want to get screwed by the warranty running out before you can get it in.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Looks pretty cool though

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Ziploc posted:

wtf happened to my iPad? Warranty ends in 8 days lol. Wife said last that there were random lines appearing when she was watching netflix in bed. And this morning it's black and white and looks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tanbH-ev0aM

Oh cool it’s a prototype iPad from 2001 with a passive matrix screen.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Any PDF editing software that’s not poo poo and not a monthly fee? (I don’t mind a one time payment). I basically just want to take PDF’s of scripts I write and then mark them red with an Apple Pencil. Would save on a ton of paper.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

LionArcher posted:

Any PDF editing software that’s not poo poo and not a monthly fee? (I don’t mind a one time payment). I basically just want to take PDF’s of scripts I write and then mark them red with an Apple Pencil. Would save on a ton of paper.

I’m pretty sure PDF expert lets you do that without a subscription. IIRC you only need a sub to do things like edit the actual text, but you can mark things red and annotate with notes all you want for free.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m pretty sure PDF expert lets you do that without a subscription. IIRC you only need a sub to do things like edit the actual text, but you can mark things red and annotate with notes all you want for free.

Confirming this. Syncs with my Google drive and I markup PDFs with my pencil with it. Adding blank pages isn't supported, but markup definitely is.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I write on pdfs with my pencil in good note which costs $7 one time

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

TraderStav posted:

Confirming this. Syncs with my Google drive and I markup PDFs with my pencil with it. Adding blank pages isn't supported, but markup definitely is.

Thanks I’ll give it a try!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If you want to scribble on PDFs and not edit the actual content, consider also GoodNotes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Can I setup a bluetooth mouse as a switch to enable page turning without touching the iPad? I've confirmed the mouse works with the iPad but when I go to add a new switch it just doesn't do anything past the screen that says "Activate your external switch" and like it's on, I can see the cursor on the screen, I don't know what it wants from me?

If I can't use a mouse can someone recommend something cheap that'll do the job for me? I just want to simulate left and right swiping

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Where is my new iPad Pro 12.9 Tim!!

:argh:

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

After thinking about it for way too long I just ordered the Air. My original tablet budget was $400, but in the long run this will make me happier and last longer than the "good enough" non-Apple devices I first looked at. $559 total isn't too bad, honestly.

I found it funny that nearly every review called Space Grey boring. When I last bought an iPad that color wasn't even an option so it's new + cool to me!

Looking forward to getting my hands on this thing, seeing what's changed since iOS 5 (lol), playing some Baldur's Gate, and grabbing a Pencil 2 the next time they're on sale.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

My bf gave me a $1000 gift card for Christmas to get an iPad Pro and he laughs every time I say no really the new one is just around the corner.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

inferis posted:

My bf gave me a $1000 gift card for Christmas to get an iPad Pro and he laughs every time I say no really the new one is just around the corner.

It really should be!!!

They are absolutely going to refresh it and I’m shocked they haven’t done it yet.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tim release the new iPad Pro mine is five years old

The General
Mar 4, 2007

inferis posted:

The new one is just around the corner. Even if you buy the newest released in a few weeks, an even never one is going to come soon.

The General fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 9, 2021

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
A bit of an off the topic question :

What happened the Mac thread ? Maybe I’m an idiot (hint: I am) but I can’t find it.

If anyone here happens to have a suggestion: I just want s good recommendation on a not super expensive monitor to plug my MacBook Air 2012 to (and whatever future Mac I upgrade to at some point) ?

I assume pushing an iPad to a monitor really wouldn’t make sense , or I would consider that.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

the mac hardware and software threads are in sh/sc not iyg. The monitor thread there would probably be a better place to ask

You'll probably want a 1080p or 1440p IPS monitor, depending on your budget and the max resolution your laptop can output. I don't think intel video from 2012 can do 4K.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Clark Nova posted:

the mac hardware and software threads are in sh/sc not iyg. The monitor thread there would probably be a better place to ask

You'll probably want a 1080p or 1440p IPS monitor, depending on your budget and the max resolution your laptop can output. I don't think intel video from 2012 can do 4K.

Thanks, thank you !

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Finally new iPads

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I wonder if there will be enough of an upgrade from my 3rd gen pro for me to bother. It’s perfect already

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Visit https://apple.com/events on your StebePhone or StebePad in Safari, then click on the Springy logo to launch an AR doodle thing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The only possible conclusion to draw from that is apple pencil 3 where you draw in the air.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hatty posted:

I wonder if there will be enough of an upgrade from my 3rd gen pro for me to bother. It’s perfect already

I have the same one (that’s the first one with Face ID right?) and even if it’s not some huge upgrade I’m gonna jump on it since my 12.9 is like my second most used device behind my phone.

I also think that if the M1 macs are any indication this new pro is gonna be banging.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

xzzy posted:

The only possible conclusion to draw from that is apple pencil 3 where you draw in the air.

New screen you don’t even have to touch.

Smudges will be a thing of the past

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I don't plan on upgrading my 2 year old iPad Pro but I'm looking forward to seeing whats new and honestly how Clip Studio Paint works on it.