Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
Introduction

Hello all!

About a thousand years ago, we here at The Dorkroom created a little publication entitled “Reciprocal Failure.” I thought it was a pretty successful project, and I’m interested in doing it again.

The basic idea behind Reciprocal Failure was to showcase, in a physical medium, some of the incredibly talented photographers we have here on this site. I find that there’s a lot of value in physical copies of work, and as somebody who doesn’t print enough, I’m really excited to hopefully create another high-quality product that we can all chuck onto our collective coffee tables and use as a justification to lecture our friends and family – at length – about the intricacies and nuances of our common hobby. We’re published now, you know. Keep that in mind.

Publication Information

The content in this publication is going to be relatively simple. I’d like to include two photos from each photographer of what they consider to be best representative of their overall work. These photos can be from any time period and can be any format (square, horizontal, portrait, etc.). Please do not submit anything that you did not create and do not hold the copyright to.

To keep this simple, we’re going to use a publication company called MagCloud. This is a print-on-demand service that will ensure that we basically have unlimited copies of the publication for the future. I’ve had good experiences with this company in the past, and I believe a few other Dorkroomers have as well. The printing quality is high, the price is pretty low, and your pictures will end up being reproduced accurately. A link to their site can be found here, if you’re curious:

https://www.magcloud.com/

For the format, we’re going to use the 8.25''x10.75'' magazine in portrait orientation with perfect binding. I find that this is a good size that’ll allow us to get enough work in without too many constraints. It’ll also have a nice, high-quality finish that doesn’t feel like it was thrown together on a Xerox machine. For the price of the magazine, I’m just going to do this at cost of printing and shipping, plus one dollar for the design work, mostly because after last year’s Coronavirus fiasco I don’t want to have anything to do with the IRS. I'll be able to provide a cost estimate after I get the submissions, but I'm looking to keep this under 25 USD per unit, non-inclusive of shipping.

Submission Instructions

If you’re interested in being included in this project, please submit no more than 5 photos to the following email address by 12:00pm EST, April 30, 2021:

dorkroomsubmissions@gmail.com

These photos should be in a Zip Folder named after your Forum Name. Please name your photos in the following format:

ForumName_LastName_FirstName_PhotoTitle

Alternatively, if you don’t want to use your real name in the actual publication, you can omit it entirely from the file name and I’ll just use your Forum Name or another alias instead. I will not include both your forum name and real name in the final product; it'll be one or the other. If you supply your real name, I'll give it priority. I reserve the right to omit a photo title if I find it to be offensive to my delicate tastes. If your photos are not named in this format and submitted to me in a Zip Folder, I am not going to include them. Also, try and keep your file size manageable.

Finally, I just have to say, not everyone who submits will be included due to space constraints. I’m going to try my best to be a fair curator and include everyone to the best extent that I can, but with projects like this it’s inevitable that not everyone will make the cut. If your work is not included, please do not be discouraged. As the project advances, I’ll update this post with the photographers who will be included in the final publication.

Kickoff

With all that said, let’s get this party started! As I think a little audience participation is important, our first task together should be deciding on a title. Please respond to the thread with a title suggestion by April 16, 2021. We can vote on it after that!

Also, if there’s anything you think I may have forgotten or not covered in this post, please do not hesitate to bring it up!

Tony Two Bapes fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for doing this!

I bought a Reciprocal Failure last time but I didn't submit. Sorry if these are dumb questions

you want .jpg? Any particular paper/printer profile we should be worried about? And it sounds like it's not an option to have one photo that spans two facing pages?

As for titles, I'd be ok with More Reciprocal Failure or Reciprocal Failure v. 2

Humorous answer: A Light in the Dork

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Great idea. I don't remember the first publication, but I'm here for this one. Summarizing one's body of work into just a handful of photos will be one hell of a task, though.

Couple questions:
No themes or guidelines for the submissions?
Did you ship any copies to Europe last time? Wondering about shipping costs.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I'd say don't use the name Reciprocal Failure at all.

The original creators are who knows who or where.
Just start a brand new zine with a brand new name, make your own path.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, let's go for a completely unrelated name. Still, very pumped for this and got some ideas for what I'm putting forward.

It's going to be a bit chaotic and rudderless without a theme but I feel this is going to be the very definition of vanity publishing anyway.

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Thanks for doing this!

I bought a Reciprocal Failure last time but I didn't submit. Sorry if these are dumb questions

you want .jpg? Any particular paper/printer profile we should be worried about? And it sounds like it's not an option to have one photo that spans two facing pages?

As for titles, I'd be ok with More Reciprocal Failure or Reciprocal Failure v. 2

Humorous answer: A Light in the Dork

JPG is fine. I don't want anything weird, but the usual suspects (JPG, TIFF, PNG, etc.) are all acceptable. Paper/printer profiles are too sophisticated for this project, so don't worry about it. Also, as far as the two facing pages is concerned, it depends what I feel like doing during the design process. I'm learning towards not doing that, but hey, we'll see.

seravid posted:

Great idea. I don't remember the first publication, but I'm here for this one. Summarizing one's body of work into just a handful of photos will be one hell of a task, though.

Couple questions:
No themes or guidelines for the submissions?
Did you ship any copies to Europe last time? Wondering about shipping costs.

I wasn't involved at all in the creation of the last zine, so I have no idea about the Europe situation or what it'll cost. That being said, I relatively frequently have books and similar items come here to the East Coast of the US from Ukraine and it's like 20 USD from there. Not an exact quote, but if I had to guess, that's what it might look like. As far as themes are concerned, I kind of wanted this to be a "yearbook" or something like that, not necessarily a thematic work. We do a lot of stuff here and I don't want this publication to be dominated solely by walls and parking lots, for example.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I'd recommend something like Pirate Ship to estimate costs and buy discount shipping labels. You can even do some customs forms from their site if I remember right.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Tony Two Bapes posted:

JPG is fine. I don't want anything weird, but the usual suspects (JPG, TIFF, PNG, etc.) are all acceptable. Paper/printer profiles are too sophisticated for this project, so don't worry about it. Also, as far as the two facing pages is concerned, it depends what I feel like doing during the design process. I'm learning towards not doing that, but hey, we'll see.
:piss:

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
I'm down. Time to start saving for that Europe shipping fee ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009

Not quite. Have a little faith please - just because you're not the one doing it doesn't mean it's not workable, or that I don't know what I'm doing.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I'd recommend something like Pirate Ship to estimate costs and buy discount shipping labels. You can even do some customs forms from their site if I remember right.

Since this is done through MagCloud, I am not the one actually shipping these directly. When the file is complete, I'll upload it to the site and supply you with a link to purchase it. That's where shipping costs are calculated.