Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are ghosts real?
Yes.
No.
Impossible to judge one way or another.
I've heard on warm nights in Shibuya you can hear Takei's spirit whisper about Tezuka art and Porsches
View Results

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Once the Shaman Fight starts it feels like an almost completely different series. Manta basically vanishes from the story after spending the opening as the POV character and Yoh has to learn a completely new power set that's basically unconnected from what he was doing before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I used to read Shaman King in Shonen Jump and liked it, but all the part I read are when they’re still in Japan. At some point I came across bootleg dvds from much later in the anime and was pretty mystified at who all these characters were and what the heck was happening (the unintelligible subtitles didn’t help.) the series really does change a ton.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Looking forward to this I read the first few volumes a long time ago up to where the tournament just begins and they get on the plane. Loved the first couple arcs against the evil samurai, the necromancer and the martial arts star. That first opening is lol for spoilers. I think I read almost 100 chapters and I still don't recognize every character shown.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I liked Shaman King way back when because while it did change dramatically once the tournament stuff starts, it pulls off both parts in interesting ways. Looking forward to this

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Episode 2 has been subbed now, looks like we’re jumping straight to Ren and Anna’s introduction

Also out of curiosity, does whoever’s fansubbing this have a website?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 8, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

RIP Soul Boxing

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seems like this is going to be a slightly more abridged version of the manga since they seem to be shuffling some things around and cutting out the fluff (though in this episode Amidamaru still acts like he’s been Yoh’s partner for a while despite them just joining forces last week)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Can't say I'm exactly in love with this adaptation so far. I thought the lackluster animation last week was because it wasn't much of a fight and we'd get something better this week, but instead we got a lot of stock footage used in very blatant ways. The pacing feels rushed with the cuts they did, even if I understand why they'd want to get to the proper Shaman King Tournament as fast as possible.

I hope stuff gets better when we get there and we just have a weak start, because as it is, this is really not doing a lot for me. The trailers looked beautiful but the series is okay at best, consistent art but mediocre animation.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Maybe it’s like FMA: Brotherhood where they’re trying to rush through the stuff the first anime already covered as quickly as possible so they can then take their time adapting the rest.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Honestly I don't mind the animation being what it is this early in, it's not like anything is noticeably bad or broken (but, well, again, the bar's that low these days considering poo poo like EX-ARM lol), but yeah, I'm hoping once we've gotten introductions out of the way for the main crew they'll start to use the budget a bit more.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Episode 3 is out, always good to hear Megumi Hayashibara again.

The episode itself still felt a bit rushed in places but wasn't too bad overall. I forget, was that Jun's original actress playing her here?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 15, 2021

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Still waiting for this to appear on Netflix Canada. Hope this isn't like Better Call Saul where they're a year delayed from the show premiere.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sub Harrison posted:

Still waiting for this to appear on Netflix Canada. Hope this isn't like Better Call Saul where they're a year delayed from the show premiere.

Netflix doesn’t release shows episode by episode so it’s probably going to be a while on that (they may want it to be dubbed as well). There’s a fansubbed version that’s decent enough though if you don’t want to wait.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Just watched the first 3 eps

It's pretty ok. I haven't watched the first anime in like 15 years, and I only had it on lovely bootleg dvds with very questionable english subs.

I always liked it though, so I'm gonna keep with this.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

They brought back the old Shaman King OP song this episode, nice touch

I’m guessing this is going to be like FMA:Brotherhood where they kind of speed through the first half of the series and then slow down a bit once they reach the part the previous anime left off on.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I think this is as far as I go here. The subs were worse than ever this week, and they have never been good. I'll just wait for the official subs, as it is, the terrible fan subs are genuinely making my experience a lot worse.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I do not think I will watch the reboot simply because it is visually unappealing but i am very glad it is happening regardless* and I am hoping we maybe getting more localized manga out of it

*the 12 year old kyg who lives on inside me still thinks Hao is a very pretty boy

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

I think this is as far as I go here. The subs were worse than ever this week, and they have never been good. I'll just wait for the official subs, as it is, the terrible fan subs are genuinely making my experience a lot worse.

The translation seemed a little better in this week’s episode at least (which featured Horohoro’s introduction)

Incidentally, has there been any word yet on when this show is finally going to come to Netflix? They usually release things in season chunks so my guess is we could possibly see something once it hits 13 episodes or so.

I’m also curious if this show is going to get a dub and if any of the 4Kids actors would be willing/able to come back for it

It would appear that Pirika’s VA has been replaced as well in this series, now she’s played by Rina Hidaka

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 7, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Netflix dubs in multiple languages.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Netflix dubs in multiple languages.

Ah right. Out of curiosity then, is there anyone from the original dub that likely wouldn’t be able to come back for this should they decide to reuse them?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ren was voiced by Andrew Rannells, who might be slightly too big a deal now for anime dubs

You know

What with the Tony for Book of Mormon and all that jazz.

Sebastian Arecelus, who voiced Yoh, also does not seem to have done anime since Yu-Gi-Oh ZEXAL 6 years ago.

E: This is, of course, assuming that Netflix is gonna try to go for getting old dub actors, which would require them to primarily record with NYAV, which is where most of the 4Kids stable resides. Netflix usually employs Bang Zoom in LA for their dubs, but with remote dubbing nowadays I suppose anything's possible.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 9, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

True. Though since it’s Netflix the fact that it’s eventually getting a dub is inevitable, it’s just a matter of whether they choose to invite any of the old voices back.

Speaking of VAs, any idea why Pirika’s got replaced in this series?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Her original voice actress is dead.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Her original voice actress is dead.

Ah. So on that note, are there any other upcoming characters whose original actors may possibly not be able to come back for this then?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Would not be able to say off the top of the dome.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, how far did the original anime get into the manga anyway?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Up to the beginning of the shaman tournament more or less but it's super altered, FMA 2003 style. Like many of the characters and plot beats are the same but they're done differently.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The quality of the subs seems to be improving if anyone wanted to give this another shot, Faust made his debut this week.

Has there been any word as to when the official Netflix version of this is supposed to premiere yet?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
If it's anything like Pokemon, I'm assuming they'll wait for a cour to end and then put those episodes up a few weeks later.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

If it's anything like Pokemon, I'm assuming they'll wait for a cour to end and then put those episodes up a few weeks later.

Yeah that’s what I was thinking, like maybe 13 episodes at minimum (we’re up to 7 currently).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Shaman King reboot will be released from Netflix Jail on August 9th (probably just the first cour's worth of episodes though). However, Netflix does seem to be getting somewhat better about the waits

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So while I haven’t actually watched it yet, I just saw on one of the streaming sites I frequent that the Shaman King reboot has a dub now despite not being released on Netflix until August. So therefore:

A: How is this possible?

and

B: How is said dub?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think they're just getting ready to host the dub once it comes out.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I think they're just getting ready to host the dub once it comes out.

Yeah, that makes sense. I’m curious who’s handling this one though and if it’s possible that any of the 4Kids cast could possibly return.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Netflix usually handles their dubs through Bang Zoom, a studio in Los Angeles, whereas most of the 4Kids stock still working in VA currently work through NYAV, a studio in New York. It's not impossible for some of them to come back, but my money is on a recast.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Isn’t Ren’s English VA a Broadway actor now or something?

And checking the site again it seems like the episode in question was just the subbed version of the most recent one that got put in the wrong place. Nevermind.

I imagine we will be getting a dub once the series hits Netflix though (I think they pretty much require one for any anime they put on there)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Netflix does dubs in several languages for everything, yeah.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And we’ve finally reached the Shaman Fight, hopefully this means the anime will start slowing down the pace a little now.

I forget, are Yoh and Hao voiced by the same actress (and was this the case in the original anime as well)?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So here's part of my worry: the anime is slated to go for 1 year apparently. If that's the case and it tries to adapt all the manga in 1 year... it'll have to cram even more chapters per episode from this point forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

So here's part of my worry: the anime is slated to go for 1 year apparently. If that's the case and it tries to adapt all the manga in 1 year... it'll have to cram even more chapters per episode from this point forward.

It’s going to be 52 episodes according to the wiki. Plus they’ve also just flat out skipped a bunch of chapters at this point (particularly early on)

Also doesn’t the manga technically have two endings? I seem to remember the series ending and then the author coming back to do a better one so I wonder if they’ll simply go with the latter or somehow find a way to fit both in.

I’m also curious if any of the post-series side mangas will wind up getting animated one day as well.