Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
So it's been asked for, and I kind of ended up stumped on how to present/OP a thread for just reacting to classic matches and shows. So welcome to a thread that asks a simple question:

What classic wrestling are you watching?

Let us know if it is good, bad, cool, dumb, or the wwf in the mid 2000s. What you think about it, and (if you can) where you are checking it out. Use as few or as many words as you want, :justpost:

What to Watch:

Classic in this case means like, older than a year I guess. cool matches from this year should be recommended in the respective threads talking about them I guess or the Match of the Year thread, but it doesn't really matter. Classic wrestling is whatever you think it is.

Where to Watch:

If you've got any regular sources of classic wrestling matches, also let me know about those and I'll put links to them here.

(as people get information to me about stuff, like there is a Roku channel that I know people watch but don't know the details myself, maybe there are some twitch streams, or something like Tuesday Nitro being brought back that people know of. )

J-Ro's NOAH Journey: forums user J-Ro runs a show by show rewatch of Pro-Wrestling NOAH weekly.
- Sundays 1pm ET: http://psp-tv.com/r/PuroForPyros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Gonna break this thread open with a super cool match from WAR in 1992 that is way better than you're thinking it's going to be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXE9OWyfSXs

25 minutes of stiff kicks and not much else

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Les Kellet vs Leon Arras. One of the best comedy matches ever. Works best of you're used to the British style of wrestling, but benefits from having master thesspian Brian Glover as Leon Arras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_zPH3u65H8

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I rewatched the incredible Aja Kong vs Bull Nakano cage match from Nov of 1990, it is an absolute masterpiece of two wrestlers just beating the absolute dogshit out of each other. Content warning: blood, some stabbings, moderate hangings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABIm0J9R6fc

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I just watched the 2016 Rev Pro match between Chris Hero & Tomohiro Ishii & gently caress. Rules. Such a hot crowd, two great talents arguably at or near their peak, they beat the hell out of each other. Just a great sub-20 minute war.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
apparently not everyone is as big of a fan of it as I am from when I mentioned it recently in a different thread, but I go back and watch the invisible man vs invisible stan match once or twice a year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cslu7zFmPjM&t=22s

it's the match where i went 'man, bryce remsburg is a treasure' and i still think it's a gimmick pulled off very very well

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

flatluigi posted:

apparently not everyone is as big of a fan of it as I am from when I mentioned it recently in a different thread, but I go back and watch the invisible man vs invisible stan match once or twice a year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cslu7zFmPjM&t=22s

it's the match where i went 'man, bryce remsburg is a treasure' and i still think it's a gimmick pulled off very very well

That match is an absolute delight. Yeah, it's hokey, but as an entertainment for a wrestling-literate crowd it simply cannot be beat.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

I have been watching both nights of ROH's Weekend of Thunder. ROH, like CZW, didn't have a deep enough roster for doubleheaders, but it's hard to blame them for doing them when fans were willing to buy tickets. Plus, I'm sure that it helped with the tickets and booking fee for Liger.

The best match, by far was Daniel Bryan vs Jushin Liger. If you go into it expecting an epic match that would be the best you could imagine of the two, you would be bummed coming out of it. But if you go into it expecting a fun match between two guys who can go, it's a really good time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK5rwHdw4GE

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
McMemphis, the original dry run for the Mr.Mcmahon character

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLED2fOPlTuwdvYw_ioMFYhr6L0XSx4Tz_

Lawler defends Memphis from Vince and his WWE guys.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I haven't seen that in ages. A dude online was kind enough to make me a burned copy of that on old CDRs in the late 90's, which was cool, since I never had poo poo to trade. I love interpromotional poo poo. Even when the power dynamic is skewed like USWA/WWE or AEW/Impact, it's just cool seeing people where they aren't supposed to be.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

collocation posted:

I haven't seen that in ages. A dude online was kind enough to make me a burned copy of that on old CDRs in the late 90's, which was cool, since I never had poo poo to trade. I love interpromotional poo poo. Even when the power dynamic is skewed like USWA/WWE or AEW/Impact, it's just cool seeing people where they aren't supposed to be.

The promos once a certain cowboy hat wearing fellow gets involved are amazing.

"3 things you can count on in life: Death, taxes, and Randy Savage

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0xXw7yjeVM

i rewatched this Rikidozan vs The Destroyer match the other day. Rikidozan is alright but The Destroyer is the real star in this match, he's so incredibly good. Dick Beyer is one of those guys like Terry Funk that I think could get over in any company, any era.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

I watched the Wrestling with Wregret episode on this and thought it was really well done. A piece of wrestling history I had no idea existed until recently.

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

this is fascinating

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Lamuella posted:

That match is an absolute delight. Yeah, it's hokey, but as an entertainment for a wrestling-literate crowd it simply cannot be beat.

The best is the crowd booing when Bryce pulls on the gloves to check a cut. Also the hatred for Invisible Stan's entrance.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
World Championship Wrestling

Except its not that WCW

This waa the Australian WCW dating back to the 50s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jLd6Tym7zw

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Lamuella posted:

Les Kellet vs Leon Arras. One of the best comedy matches ever. Works best of you're used to the British style of wrestling, but benefits from having master thesspian Brian Glover as Leon Arras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_zPH3u65H8
loved this.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwbgsrcBNik

Midnight Rockers vs Buddy Rose & Doug Somers

A brutal war with Shawn and Marty covered in blood and absolutely bumping and selling their asses off. it's always weird to say that a wrestling match looks like a fight because none of them actually do, but matches like this do really get close. It has such a chaotic, violent elegance to it while still not looking choreographed in the slightest

don't expect a great finish tho

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/WCollector78/status/1244582785437691904

enjoy 2 minutes of Billy Crystal making Hogan and Mr. T absolutely lose it

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

I'm about halfway through ROH All Star Extravaganza II 2004

I'm sure that the Punk vs Joe match at the end will blow me away, but there are some neat little things on the relatively lowkey undercard.

Colt Cabana gets to interview, rescue, and then be managed by Bobby Heenan, which had to be massive for him, as evidenced by his facial expression:

After watching another one of the early Lacey promos in which she bullies Special K, I'm convinced that she's top 10 promowise up to 2004 in ROH, possibly top 3-5.

And I'm currently watching my favorite indy guy who didn't make it to "the majors", Trent Acid, wrestle Jerk Jackson who, had I not looked him up on Cagematch, I would never have realized was Bobby Fish. He was pretty drat aerial for his build at the time, but he literally looks like an entirely different guy:

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Everybody knows that Punk Vs Joe III was great, but Danielson Vs Homicide (II iirc) was loving amazing. It was possibly better and very much worth going out of your way to see.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

I just watched the end of Samoa Joe's ROH title reign and, even ignoring everything that has transpired with the guy in the last few years, they seriously ended the 80 year reign with loving Austin Aries? This seems really underwhelming. Did it seem so at the time?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

collocation posted:

I just watched the end of Samoa Joe's ROH title reign and, even ignoring everything that has transpired with the guy in the last few years, they seriously ended the 80 year reign with loving Austin Aries? This seems really underwhelming. Did it seem so at the time?

No. Gen Next were a hot act, whoever beat Joe for the belt was taking a huge scalp & was getting a lot of cred from it. It elevated Aries, it re-established the idea that upsets can & do happen in ROH a couple years after Xavier beat Low-Ki, & most importantly for 2004/5 ROH, Aries held up the high expectations for match quality. So yeah, I think the booking made sense at the time.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah Austin Aries was over in the 00s, it wasn't really until his TNA run that things went sour

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Rarity posted:

Yeah Austin Aries was over in the 00s, it wasn't really until his TNA run that things went sour

My first exposure to Aries was as Austin Starr, so that could be hurting my perception a bit.

Do you think that they thought that he was a better fit than Punk or Bryan? Or was it possible that they felt that those two just didn't need the belt? It could be that I'm upgrading them in retrospect and that people didn't see as much in them yet. Aries was a better talker than Bryan at the time and a better worker than Punk, so I'm thinking that maybe he seemed like the best of both worlds to an extent. Thinking about it, I guess that there were way more fresh matches for Aries than for either of those two also.

I didn't get to see much Homicide before I started my retro watch and I'm kind of wishing that he got a run. He just seems the most real out of everyone.

It seems like operating against the constraint of having their guys constantly signed away worked for ROH for a certain amount of years. Now that they have some top guys that no one seems to want to take, it's given them consistency, but that hasn't entirely been for the best.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

collocation posted:

My first exposure to Aries was as Austin Starr, so that could be hurting my perception a bit.

Do you think that they thought that he was a better fit than Punk or Bryan? Or was it possible that they felt that those two just didn't need the belt? It could be that I'm upgrading them in retrospect and that people didn't see as much in them yet. Aries was a better talker than Bryan at the time and a better worker than Punk, so I'm thinking that maybe he seemed like the best of both worlds to an extent. Thinking about it, I guess that there were way more fresh matches for Aries than for either of those two also.

I didn't get to see much Homicide before I started my retro watch and I'm kind of wishing that he got a run. He just seems the most real out of everyone.

It seems like operating against the constraint of having their guys constantly signed away worked for ROH for a certain amount of years. Now that they have some top guys that no one seems to want to take, it's given them consistency, but that hasn't entirely been for the best.

I dunno how much you've seen or aware of so don't want to go into it, but to go back to December 2004 mindset, Punk didn't need to be the guy to end Joe's reign, nor did Bryan. They were both already big deals in the company. Austin Aries was real good but not at that level in the crowds mind. Beating Joe for the title made him a big deal in the eyes of fans. It made real sense.

Gen Next really were over.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

I dunno how much you've seen or aware of so don't want to go into it, but to go back to December 2004 mindset, Punk didn't need to be the guy to end Joe's reign, nor did Bryan. They were both already big deals in the company. Austin Aries was real good but not at that level in the crowds mind. Beating Joe for the title made him a big deal in the eyes of fans. It made real sense.

I remember being shocked as I thought if anybody was going to get the belt off Joe from Gen Next it'd be Alex Shelley, but I've always thought Shelley could be a HUGE star. Two things stopped him: TNA being dumb as rocks and injuries.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

I'm basically watching the shows in a vacuum, so any info that would be clear to someone contemporary is interesting to me. I've watched all of the ROH shows up until this one, aside from a really brutal seeming JAPW co-show and a couple trainee shows without commentary. I plan to go up to about 2012-2015 if I don't quit my weird watch everything (WWE, TNA, ROH, CZW, PWG, and, when I get there, AAW, Beyond, Evolve, and DGUSA) quest by then. At one point, I had a basic knowledge of who got the title and didn't, but I've managed to forget the details to enough of an extent that I was actually surprised that Punk didn't eventually take the title from Joe.

I remember being shocked as I thought if anybody was going to get the belt off Joe from Gen Next it'd be Alex Shelley, but I've always thought Shelley could be a HUGE star. Two things stopped him: TNA being dumb as rocks and injuries.

I only sporadically saw TNA when I tuned in to wrestling and was like "not for me" during his peak there. He seemed like the perfect answer to what they needed. A guy who would wrestle X division style and do comedy and promos. I don't know if the Nash stuff was ultimately helpful, but it seemed like he was being groomed for something. When I got back into wrestling while he was in ROH, it seemed weird that he was mostly just a straight workrate guy. I know that ROH was a more serious promotion, but they had other people doing fun stuff and character work, but whenever I saw him, it seemed like it was unfortunately just matches. I'll be able to tell better when I watch his career more comprehensively, but he seemed like a guy who could be a main eventer somewhere big when I caught him in the past. Even during my retro watch, when he first was doing stuff nationally and doing guest commentary early on while feuding with Jimmy Jacobs in CZW, he seemed way beyond any of the workrate/X/ROH guys on the mic.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Attitude Era definitely had lovely undercards and good main events. I'm re-watching Wrestlemania 14 and its mostly poo poo. I still really like Ken Shamrock's gimmick; could have been great if his "snapped" look didn't resemble a dog's after farting itself awake

Taker-Kane is loving trash, but great build. It's amazing Kane ever got over and wasn't just a one-off Taker program.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
This Takeshita comedy match linked by Dramatic DDT on Twitter is so well executed I would have listed it as an HM and conveniently shows why closed fists should be banned in wrestling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJrjVjuWwr4

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Austin Aries v Alex Shelley at Manhattan Mayhem is one of the underrated classics of the 00s.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

I'm currently watching the buildup to Nash Vs Jarrett in 2005 TNA:

Not having ever seen the match, I think it's safe to say that I won't be recommending it after watching. However, the build is basically "this time Nash is going to try" because he's serious "this time." And, it kind of reminds me of a sort of proto-Orange thing, but without the requisite buys. (Oh yeah, and you can tell he's serious this time because he dyed his hair.)

I always enjoyed Nash in WCW (and shoots), but I hadn't realized that it had gotten to the point where his not making an effort had entered kayfabe by 2005. He was the biggest (in a couple regards) star that they had at various points, but outside of some funny comedy segments, did he ever do anything that mattered in TNA?

I'd like to see Nash in a 2021 feud with Orange over who cared less about their match.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Having received 4.75 stars back when that was a pretty rare thing, the real main event of the show will almost certainly be great, but I didn't know that it was possible to make match graphics this bad:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The early 2000 indies have some gloriously bad graphics, it's wonderful.

Someone (abigfatbunny) post the poo poo CZW was doing for their shows in like 2003

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Oh hey I was wondering if there was a thread like this.

I searched up some really old golden era 1950's matches and it tuned my youtube algo to feed me a steady diet of classic wrestling which I'm just loving, especially the late 80's / early 90's WCW era, and the territories poo poo from the early 80's

right now I'm watching this, which is incredibly striking because it's shot on film, which is an INSANELY loving COOL LOOK FOR WRESTLING, like even just regular wrestling, would love to see AEW do a filmed event in the ring
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30CExpM6T2E

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

bumping this thread to tell you all that ive been watching a boat load of early 80s stuff and its the best. I watched these two matches with breakfast. This tag match could happen on dynamite and get 4 stars

https://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00030_4_1

this is the 1st Terry Hansen match not the best but the end is so good. Hansen is just fighting everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRuvEkanCYU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Suplex Liberace posted:

bumping this thread to tell you all that ive been watching a boat load of early 80s stuff and its the best. I watched these two matches with breakfast. This tag match could happen on dynamite and get 4 stars

https://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00030_4_1

this is the 1st Terry Hansen match not the best but the end is so good. Hansen is just fighting everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRuvEkanCYU

:staredog:

they're just beating the poo poo out of each other lmfao

this should be the Mox / Kenny finale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

speaking of beating the poo poo out of each other. Rewatched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk3g2EkFo00 maybe the best match from 1980 that ive seen. These two are brutal, Yokatas working over Satos hand and finger. Sato busting out some gnarly suplexs and backbreakers to destroy her in response. This feels like a fight and the crowd is loving it by the end.