Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I think there was an isaac thread before but couldn't find it. Anyway it seems really good so far, the earlier new zones are really fast paced and add some cool new mechanics. I never played the big unofficial expansion back that a lot of this was based on so would be cool to see what people think about this that did play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

it's been a while since i played antibirth (like 4 years ago ???) but it was much better than the official expansions since edmund and nicalis [EXPECIALLY nicalis] are idiots. this seems good so far. goodbye.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

getting rid of small boss/miniboss rooms is probably worth 15 bucks alone. die edmund!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

here’s the full patch notes on the changes from afterbirth+

https://newtextdocument.com/f072e8cd1e

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

yeah every official expansion they add more annoying crap and stuff with way too much HP. how is this??

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

extremebuff posted:

yeah every official expansion they add more annoying crap and stuff with way too much HP. how is this??

it was made by the people who made the antibirth mod and adds a lot of that crap and edmund and nicalis had very little to do with it

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

extremebuff posted:

I started a new file so I can't speak to all the new mid-late game content, but early enemy health was reduced and a LOT of classic Isaac items that have always been useless have been buffed or reworked in some way. Lots of little tweaks to smooth the early game like shops on the first floor being unlocked, the ability to guarantee an angel room, etc. It's still Isaac though so you're gonna go 4 floors without any damage or tear upgrades sometimes. Those patch notes above are really thorough and worth a look for how they rebalanced some stuff

edit: and then some of the really annoying afterbirth stuff like enemy spawning portals don't appear outside of a few specific floors now

goferchan fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 31, 2021

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

they should have dumped stone babies

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Isaac is the game I have the most hours logged on, hope this expansion is good :cheers:

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

extremebuff posted:

only played 1 run so far but i managed to get a new item that alternates status effect tears, then quad tears, then brimstone and a shitload of tears up items so i was slaying rear end until i died in the dark room lol. could be biased due to that godly run but it seems really good so far

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah even old lovely items have some godlike synergies now. I need to untrain myself to avoid them, I got soy milk + brimstone and it lets you just constantly shoot a low-damage beam without needing to charge it, it was sick

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

the ice status effect is awesome lol

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
thoughts so far

stuff that was pretty much literally worthless like shard of glass is now a decent item, but probably something id reroll since it still required to get hit to trigger. on the flipside, stuff that was busted like serpent's kiss is now so nerfed its insanely boring.
theres still poo poo like scolex taking fifty billion years to kill because its an awfully designed boss, and ive had at least 3 runs, one up to mausoleum, and two to the womb where i was stuck with base damage completely unable to fight back the tide which is isaac at its most miserable; the mines spider boss took 3 minutes to kill and a Crown Champion monster in scarred womb took 1 minute. a single champion enemy.
Hard mode has been made a lot harder. it seems consumables drop a lot less often, tinted rocks are rarer than white lions, and most difficult of all a whole bunch of enemy projectiles have been sped up. For some reason my shops are usually only 3 items, and almost never have soul hearts. coupled with the lack of tinted rocks, getting devil rooms is a whole bunch harder. I heard that its recommended to try the antibirth floors in normal difficulty first, and there might be merit to that.

some of the new items are really cool, and a bunch of stage gimmicks and enemies are very clever, though there seems to be a bunch of enemies that rush you super fast, sometimes outside of your view in large rooms that it can feel exhausting.

Also i never really liked ridiculon's ost, but the downpour track is great. i regret unlocking dross becuse its track is a big downgrade

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Mausoleum has blown my face out the back of my head 4 times now and it's because of those whip guys who do not gently caress around

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Happy to say the dime chime has been improved.
e:holy crap those whip guys are fast
e: also I pretty much only play on hard and I think I get a curse like 75% of floors. :(

DeadMansSuspenders fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 1, 2021

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

here’s the full patch notes on the changes from afterbirth+

https://newtextdocument.com/f072e8cd1e
Keeper changes look nice, Maggy's worthless again, and lol Ed was always a troll, I didn't know about this one.

quote:

-Midas' Touch can now appear when playing as Keeper (previously it could not appear).

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I'm afraid I played this for like 8 hours today lol. Still catching my new savefile back up, almost have polaroid/negative unlocked, managed to get lucky with demon doors on Mom's Heart and sneak a few Satan kills in. Did a few challenges and got a couple hundred coins in the Greed machine (which doesn't jam anymore) but I still need to unlock some Runes so I can really pop off. Trying to avoid major spoilers about the new stuff but the little I did hear sounds can't-believe-they-did-that insane

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I caught one mega spoiler but it made me really happy to hear

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Black August posted:

I caught one mega spoiler but it made me really happy to hear

Yep. thats right, a Mega-Farty Bloody Poopy Crying AIDS turd is in this game.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

ANd in before its me.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

HORMELCHILI posted:

This

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

HORMELCHILI posted:

you just spoiled 10 years of Isaac

now Edmund is going to nerf the gonorrhea shitpuke AGAIN

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Finally got to the crazy new poo poo. Insane spoilers ahead: they seriously added an unlockable variant for each of the 17 characters, all of them with unique gameplay mechanics and each with their own set of unlocks and completion marks to get. You beautiful bastards.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

goferchan posted:

Finally got to the crazy new poo poo. Insane spoilers ahead: they seriously added an unlockable variant for each of the 17 characters, all of them with unique gameplay mechanics and each with their own set of unlocks and completion marks to get. You beautiful bastards.

advice for all the pimps who still play the poop aids game: unlock tainted keeper asap hes insanely fun

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I haven't played isaac in 3 years but I'm jumping back in. Lost as hell

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

I haven't played isaac in 3 years but I'm jumping back in. Lost as hell

I didn't play much of the last expansion so I'm also feeling extremely lost lol. No idea how to open that red door

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I didn't play much of the last expansion so I'm also feeling extremely lost lol. No idea how to open that red door

The fleshy one in Mausoleum after you fight that version of Mom? If you want a small hint look for a couple of features in the second floor of Downpour that don't appear anywhere else. after you mess around with those, continue on the alt path to Mines and explore thoroughly and the rest will be obvious

edit: or just go to Downpour playing as The Lost and that will probably clue you in

goferchan fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 8, 2021

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Did they roll back the sped up bullets in hard mode? That poo poo is pure aids and not the epic poopy baby peepee kind :DDDDD

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018
BoI was ruined when DannyB left.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

Did they roll back the sped up bullets in hard mode? That poo poo is pure aids and not the epic poopy baby peepee kind :DDDDD

Nope

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Maybe i jist got used to them then idk

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Maybe im stoned

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Maybe you are.
They let you take devil deals when you dont meet the requirements again thanj god

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah and curse of darkness is way more reasonable now, you have clear vision in a pretty big circle around your character

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Its still garbage and i will never take the gamma correction down from 15p. Fick you edmond!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
cant beat the antibirth path as the lost. Tainted lost is gonna be impossible

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

This game is so hosed up now, I feel like a noob even after like 300 hours of afterbirth

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

goferchan posted:

The fleshy one in Mausoleum after you fight that version of Mom? If you want a small hint look for a couple of features in the second floor of Downpour that don't appear anywhere else. after you mess around with those, continue on the alt path to Mines and explore thoroughly and the rest will be obvious

edit: or just go to Downpour playing as The Lost and that will probably clue you in

I've played this game collectively for like 1000+ hours so I don't care about spoilers you can just tell me lol

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I've played this game collectively for like 1000+ hours so I don't care about spoilers you can just tell me lol

this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

ArfJason posted:

cant beat the antibirth path as the lost. Tainted lost is gonna be impossible
taint