Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i wish the butter hose one had the hose hooked up to the cow's udders instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
lovely greasy spoon with American flags plastered all over everything, bottom of the barrel American Chinese buffet, and yes oh yes Tex Mex with endless margaritas, i am going on a loving bender when this poo poo finally blows over.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
OHIO.JPG:

naem
May 29, 2011

Ohio got like, really bad post 2008 crash. I’d left already but parts of it seem to have fully Detroit-ed

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

i prefer this ohio.jpg

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I clipped the corner of New Mexico on my way to Denver and saw this:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
another fine bologna image

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
now that's thicc

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Bring out the hellmans

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Aardvark! posted:

truly amazing. i want to start singing America the Beautiful.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I've never eaten much bologna, and never in fried form. I barely remember what it tastes like, maybe like hot dogs I guess?

Lebanon bologna though is a favorite of mine

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Revins posted:

I've never eaten much bologna, and never in fried form. I barely remember what it tastes like, maybe like hot dogs I guess?

It's basically a gigantic hot dog, yes

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Cold dog

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

I get a strong feeling that the creator was just indulging their fetish with this one

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
when i was looking up the bologna place the (randomly featured?) review snippit just said "frozen or stale buns"

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)

Uh, I don’t think that’s how elephants drink

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg1Yr3cgJOA

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Uh, I don’t think that’s how elephants drink

He's just holding it for a friend

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1Cvg5VCpT4

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Aardvark! posted:

These posts need a fuckyeahamericanca.jpg thread and a ohdearnoamericana.jpg tag

naem
May 29, 2011

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Detroit may be unique in that it's the only economically healthy city in recent history that was just wholesale abandoned due to demographic shifts.

There was no massive flood or economic devastation, no famine, no pestilence, no war, people just heard that schools were being desegregated so they moved nine miles away to Oakland County. It's wild.

The Detroit metropolitan area is home to 3.7m people and a $267b/yr economy. They all just got up and went to other school districts and left Detroit proper to rot.

factories shut down overnight and employees returned to padlocked doors and a sign saying “you’re fired,” and none of those jobs have ever been replaced.

every single one of those now jobless people faced starvation and homelessness with no warning, and anyone who possibly could packed up and left as all hell broke loose.

the entire upper midwest is called the rust belt for a reason, it’s all the abandoned former manufacturing that once employed the entire region’s populous

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Outrail posted:

These posts need a fuckyeahamericanca.jpg thread and a ohdearnoamericana.jpg tag
They're the same thing. Always have been.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Monkey Fracas posted:

trawl about on this website fore a while: https://www.roadsideamerica.com/

It's where I found Big Hotdog Man

This fella is along Route 66, and interestingly enough is not the only casting of it on the road. In Illinois (iirc) there's a giant spaceman holding a rocketship that's just this sculpture with a helmet and remodelled hotdog. Also the roadside burger place it's connected to does loving /amazing/ milkshakes.

I think there's a third one somewhere along the route as well, but my memory is failing me.

Also everyone should drive the length of Route 66 once in their lives. Absolutely amazing, and probably the best holiday I ever took.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

that reminds me there's the really weird american ideal of what route 66 was, perpetuated by people who were not alive in its heyday at all. idyllic visions of service stops, sock hops, motor motels. reconstructions of things that quite frankly were never real in the first place, meanwhile major sections of route 66 are in total decay, superseded by the modern interstate system

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

naem posted:

factories shut down overnight and employees returned to padlocked doors and a sign saying “you’re fired,” and none of those jobs have ever been replaced.

every single one of those now jobless people faced starvation and homelessness with no warning, and anyone who possibly could packed up and left as all hell broke loose.

the entire upper midwest is called the rust belt for a reason, it’s all the abandoned former manufacturing that once employed the entire region’s populous

Most of Detroit's hollowing out started in the late sixties / early seventies after the riots, and most of those people just moved into nearby suburbs.

The factory closings didn't start until later.

Same thing happened in Pittsburgh after school desegregation, hundreds of thousands of people moved out of the city into the inner ring suburbs in the early seventies, a decade before the steel mills started closing.

Deindustrialization is always used as a post hoc justification for why these cities hollowed out, but the hollowing out started during the civil rights era.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 8, 2021

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

bellows lugosi posted:

that reminds me there's the really weird american ideal of what route 66 was, perpetuated by people who were not alive in its heyday at all. idyllic visions of service stops, sock hops, motor motels. reconstructions of things that quite frankly were never real in the first place, meanwhile major sections of route 66 are in total decay, superseded by the modern interstate system

I stayed in Tucumcari, NM two years ago. We took a picture next to the big "Route 66" sign that is framed by 1000 shuttered business that make up the town.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

bellows lugosi posted:

Yeah, in some sections we spent most of the day driving along the side of the Interstate because we were anal about following the older route.

Still was amazing. This was in 2009 though, so I suspect it wouldn't be the same nowadays, especially some of the more rural and poor parts of it.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Waterbed Wendy posted:

There's the Australian Bakery Cafe in georgia where you can get authentic meatpies. We used to go in the summer and see shakespeare in the square in marietta square. They were always delicious and I had never had anything like them before, they also sold australian candy and soda. A lot of fanta flavors you couldn't get anywhere else besides australia I assume.

I keep meaning to pay that place a visit. Maybe next time I'm in the area.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

You can just google "the south."

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Detroit may be unique in that it's the only economically healthy city in recent history that was just wholesale abandoned due to demographic shifts.

There was no massive flood or economic devastation, no famine, no pestilence, no war, people just heard that schools were being desegregated so they moved nine miles away to Oakland County. It's wild.

The Detroit metropolitan area is home to 3.7m people and a $267b/yr economy. They all just got up and went to other school districts and left Detroit proper to rot.

Both sides of family are from Detroit. Both sides left the city after the riots. It was really the triple whammy of rising crime, insane interest rates on loans/mortgages, the ability to get insurances, and some of the worst political leadership in the country that lead to the mass exodus from Detroit. My grandparents decided to move when there was a guy killed by automatic fire gun (either an Uzi or a Tommy gun, depending on which of their neighbors you believed) at one of the bus stops, and none of the cops would even show up.

After the riots, the cost to get anything done sky rocketed, and there wasn't really anything Detroit offered to make it worth staying, so all injection plants left for Dearborn, the concrete plants left for the Northwest, the scrappers, smelters, and forges either moved closer to the oceans or just lost their shirts altogether to a rebuilt Europe, Russia, and Japan, and we even lost our shipping yards to Chicago's much better planned management. Those were the fatal blows that made it go from a metropolis with a segregated populace to a Scooby-Doo ghost town. Continued mismanagement made sure Detroit stayed that way (with a handful of exceptions).

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I just found some pics of a state fair I was at and the Moving Vietnam Wall.

I was in LOVE with the cows. I was like a little school girl walking around there.

And a sign I found in New Mexico. I'm not used to rattlesnakes here in WI.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Pennywise the Frown posted:

And a sign I found in New Mexico. I'm not used to rattlesnakes here in WI.

I would probably add "AND SNAKES" for clarity.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

guess I'll stick by the rocks and tall weeds since the rattlesnakes stay away from them

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
watch out for snakes

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tip posted:

guess I'll stick by the rocks and tall weeds since the rattlesnakes stay away from them

:confused:

:lol::lol:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Well get it a blanket!!

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Play posted:

Well get it a blanket!!

That's pigs

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Both sides of family are from Detroit. Both sides left the city after the riots. It was really the triple whammy of rising crime, insane interest rates on loans/mortgages, the ability to get insurances, and some of the worst political leadership in the country that lead to the mass exodus from Detroit. My grandparents decided to move when there was a guy killed by automatic fire gun (either an Uzi or a Tommy gun, depending on which of their neighbors you believed) at one of the bus stops, and none of the cops would even show up.

After the riots, the cost to get anything done sky rocketed, and there wasn't really anything Detroit offered to make it worth staying, so all injection plants left for Dearborn, the concrete plants left for the Northwest, the scrappers, smelters, and forges either moved closer to the oceans or just lost their shirts altogether to a rebuilt Europe, Russia, and Japan, and we even lost our shipping yards to Chicago's much better planned management. Those were the fatal blows that made it go from a metropolis with a segregated populace to a Scooby-Doo ghost town. Continued mismanagement made sure Detroit stayed that way (with a handful of exceptions).

So you're saying Robocop was a documentary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

munce
Oct 23, 2010

yikes! posted:

fried chicken IN a meat pie

KFC brings back its legendary $5.95 pie with a Zinger touch
“Two of my favourite things!! A pie and a zinger!! Welcome to the future!”
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/f...ab10a1256c02616