Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The brain suckers and winter lanterns are the only enemies I still approach knowing I'm gonna get hit 90% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

All good tips, thanks! Lot of these things are easier to deal with after you know they exist and after you know the levels, like in any Souls game, but I don't know that I'd call them good design because of that.

Imhotep posted:

If you parry the grab move, during the visceral you'll have i-frames if your frenzy meter fills up, negating the effect entirely. I also don't like the Winter Lanterns, they just suck and it's hard to kill them and try to manage your frenzy meter, but I always use a heavy weapon to knock them down and just keep sedatives on me

I skipped the Winter Lanterns by using blue elixir and sedatives, I don't think I would've done it otherwise. Not having a heavy weapon was my mistake this playthrough, I miss breaking the poise of enemies or knocking them down.

Imhotep posted:

but the run up to Mensis isn't bad, you can stay behind rocks and stuff and as long as you're not in the line of sight of the brain of mensis you won't be affected by frenzy. Plus I'm pretty sure the only part of the level where it affects you is from the lamp to the front doors, then you can drop the brain and stop the frenzy from happening. If you just stay near the lamp and behind the rocks while you fight the two silverbeasts, you can then just sprint up to the entrance.

The silverbeasts were pretty hard to kill and that combined with staying behind the rocks did me in several times. I eventually ended up running past them but then there's the Nightmare Apostles hanging from the ceiling, followed by the NPC. This whole stretch is quite easy if you skip it but fighting everything in one go seems like a really bad idea.

Imhotep posted:

The brain suckers are also annoying, probably the worst enemy in the game, but if you use a thrust attack with a longer weapon and have bolt paper or kin hunter gems or whatever they're pretty manageable, if you make sure not to fight more than one at a time.

What made it worse was the little puzzle where you had to get somewhere to unlock doors so you can continue. I eventually dealt with them by breaking line of sight by hiding behind a corner but like I said, this is unfun and frustrating way to deal with enemies.

Imhotep posted:

As far as blood vials, I don''t know, after a certain point I basically never run out, but I always spend my left over echoes on blood vials or bullets or something. I'd equip multiple eye runes and or moon runes and go into one of the hacked chalice dungeons and kill the easier mobs, you'll get a ton of blood vial drops depending on the enemy, but if not you'll get plenty of echoes to stock up on blood vials.

It's weird, I had over 60 before I started on Ebrietas. It's so easy to go through them in just a couple unsuccessful tries. I literally got her to like a single hit left two times only to die to the lasers. In general, I find all the solutions to this problem workarounds at best because it's a broken system. Estus literally has none of these problems! It's good to experiment and change things if they improve the experience but I think vials were a step back.

VideoGames posted:

Those brain suckers always caught me off guard and the fact they are big slugs made me panic every time I met them.
Good grief that enemy set my phobia on edge a lot. I think I only really managed to take down one successfully and all the other times they would take between 8-10 insight from me.

It's funny how there's so few of them but people remember them so well. The design absolutely rules with their weird little slug proboscis coming out of their heads but ugh.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

boop the snoot posted:

The brainsuckers in BB made me put the game down for a few days.

The brain sucking monks, or the giant brain guys that just kill you via frenzy whether or not you can see them or know where they are

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The brain sucking dudes at the bottom of the cathedral where you get the wolf jumping through the window scare were so spooky. That whole area was amazing

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
:f5: :f5: :f5: :f5: :f5: :f5: :f5: :f5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhsAAQoYQ0k

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yeah let's gooooooooo

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Winter lanterns were just so much worse than brainsuckers to me. The only enemy I truly dreaded. Frenzy is a garbage mechanic.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

:tviv: :tviv: :tviv: :tviv: :tviv: :tviv: :tviv: :tviv:

GOTY 2021 too? I don't mind that!

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

I’m way deep inside the aurora right now and am finding all sorts of crazy blueprints. I thought prawn room would be like.. a food growing room. I was very surprised by THAT blueprint. Tomorrow I’ll pick it up again and keep moving into the drive room. Pretty wild. Does this game remind any of you of System Shock 2? The sort of slow, methodical exploration and environmental puzzle stuff mixed with the sci-fi mystery really hits the nostalgia for me.

I still feel like I’m up against the clock about something, though. That feeling stresses me out too much. The computer at one point said like “within 24 hours the reactor is going to cause a massive ecological extinction.” And I don’t get how I am supposed to stop that, or if it was just loving with me.

Unexpectedly, I got entirely sucked in to playing Subnautica as well and it's been great! So far as I know, other than the one time a countdown shows up on screen, there is nothing in the game that is time gated, even though there is that one remark that states you have 24 hours to deal with the reactor. I looked it up right away because I was enjoying how chill the game was and really didn't want to have to stress about a time limit.

I ended up dealing with it pretty quickly anyways and I'm looking forward to building a prawn suit tonight!!!

My one piece of advice is save often since I don't think it has an autosave at all. I built a base that may have been too big and lost it all to a game crashing bug...

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

DS3 and Sekiro tied for second tho

It's DeS and then Dark Souls in order of their release, with Sekiro off doing its own thing.

The more a Bloodsouls plays like Metroid, the better it is. I want to explore a strange environment and feel alone and alienated in a hostile world, only this time without COVID.

DS3 spoilers, VG don't read: DS3 is by comparison a lesser version of Monster Hunter, with punishing bosses off simple levels. Lady Maria is the platonic idea of how a multi-stage boss fight should go, where the fight itself teaches you how to win against it in a series of logical escalations, and only has one health bar. Contrast that fight with Midir or Nameless King, where you're relying on rote memorization of some really obnoxious phasing and movesets, so that the challenge is no longer reading your opponent but not giving up when you get instant-killed for the dozenth time. It doesn't help that thematically, DS3 is the least appropriate game for "not giving up" being the thesis for the plot as a whole.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I got the seamoth but dont have anywhere to dock it and don't know how to charge it, also don't know what a multipurpose room is, or how to cultivate indoor plants.
The Seamoth has a power cell you can access from the lower rear, which can be swapped out. Power cells can be recharged using a charger that can be built in your base, which you may not have a blueprint for yet. The Seamoth can be charged more directly once you build a Moon Pool to dock it in, which could take a while. Once the Moon Pool is built, you'll be able to craft an upgrade that for the Seamoth that will give it built-in solar charging and never really have to worry about power again.

A multipurpose room is a big circular module. Much more spacious than the hallway pieces, and certain features can only be built in multipurpose rooms. There are a few places where they can be found intact to scan.

Indoor plants can be grown in pots or indoor grow beds. Both can be scanned when you find intact versions in wrecks or other such places. When cultivating most plants, you'll need to save a piece when harvesting to re-plant. Lantern fruit trees aren't as OP as they were back in the day, but are still great for topping off without having to worry about managing harvesting/regrowth cycles. There's also an outdoor grow bed useful for cultivating certain resource plants.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Urge to reinstall Subnautica rising...

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I get so spam happy with the block button in Sekiro. I’m never patient enough with anything but the most basic of enemies and as a result my posture meter skyrockets in no time.

I don’t think I’m ever going to beat it :(

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Is like half of the Sony Spring Sale discounts on in game currency for pay to win games or am I missing any good deals?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I was expecting a different type of Mr. X from the video name. Was Estel a boss you fought earlier in the game? She looks like she was a boss.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Oscar Wild posted:

Is like half of the Sony Spring Sale discounts on in game currency for pay to win games or am I missing any good deals?

There's a ton of good deals in it, just filter by Games and Bundles so you don't have to scroll past literally hundreds of add ons

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

I was expecting a different type of Mr. X from the video name. Was Estel a boss you fought earlier in the game? She looks like she was a boss.

Yes, she was a boss. Yo should give it a try, it's a fantastic game!

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Simone Magus posted:

There's a ton of good deals in it, just filter by Games and Bundles so you don't have to scroll past literally hundreds of add ons

Using the Sony store or PSPrices? I don't see a filter on the Sony store, but I might be missing it.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

None of those silhouettes look like a kangaroo I am fuming over here.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

the art for this game is so rad

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

the art for this game is so rad

I overlook it now because I'm so used to it, but yeah the whole presentation is amazing. Art and music and animation are all top notch. They did a fantastic job of translating the attempted photorealism of the old sprites into something more stylized while keeping their spirit.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Simone Magus posted:

Urge to reinstall Subnautica rising...

Blind Rasputin posted:

Who were the good goon sirs or madams that recommended Subnautica?

Yeah, I downloaded it when it became free but haven't even looked at it yet. Your posts are really making me want to get started, even though I have some mighty strong thalassophobia...

Regy Rusty posted:

Disco Elysium update - patch still not out on PS4. And from reports from PS5 players it still hasn't fixed the most gamebreaking bugs. :sigh:

Boo! I really want to get started, but the mixed reports have got me hesitant.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Got to the DoH boss fight and after a few tries just noped out of that. Not a fun fight at all. Had a few goes at owl father and got him down to his second phase a couple of times. I think I've got him mostly figured out it's just a case of practice now. And not getting trapped in a corner or against a pillar :sigh:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Read After Burning posted:

Boo! I really want to get started, but the mixed reports have got me hesitant.

Yeah, I've realized I have no will to return to it until the crashes are considered fixed. I can barely remember all the stuff I did that got wiped out

vvvvvvvvv Has to be fully upgraded, if you want to go that route

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 8, 2021

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

fridge corn posted:

Got to the DoH boss fight and after a few tries just noped out of that. Not a fun fight at all. Had a few goes at owl father and got him down to his second phase a couple of times. I think I've got him mostly figured out it's just a case of practice now. And not getting trapped in a corner or against a pillar :sigh:

You can use the finger whistle to distract DoH ala Gascoigne if that helps

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It only works once per phase and might be two times total? I definitely only used it twice but might be because the first phase was easier and wanted to save my emblems for the umbrella

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
It's just not a fun fight imo. I'd rather boot up ds3 and throw myself against the nameless king again. Owl fight is so much more fun even if I'm getting my arse kicked. It's all about the clash of steel against steel

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

It only works once per phase and might be two times total? I definitely only used it twice but might be because the first phase was easier and wanted to save my emblems for the umbrella

Three times total, and you can get more than one use on a single pip. I always saved mine for the last phase. You just can't spam it, I think there's a hidden timer or something that has to expire between uses

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

thinking about 2LOU, thinking about anarchy

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

thinking about 2LOU, thinking about anarchy

It’s kinda hosed up that Joel got such a huge house all to himself. Meanwhile Ellie is living in a garage

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It’s kinda hosed up that Joel got such a huge house all to himself. Meanwhile Ellie is living in a garage

i would love to live in that garage

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

i would love to live in that garage

It’s a nice garage but Joel’s house is huge

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
that garage has a working cmos ps3 that still lets you buy things from the store cos they didnt get the chance to shut down the servers.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Vikar Jerome posted:

that garage has a working cmos ps3 that still lets you buy things from the store cos they didnt get the chance to shut down the servers.

TLOU2 proved that Sony consoles are able to survive the apocalypse. Bring with you only what you need? My Vita is for sure going somewhere in that backpack.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

If you really don’t want to fight DoH but want him dead there’s an incredibly stupid cheese that’s still in the game to get rid of him. It involves making him walk off a cliff. I did it in 2019 and at least according to the wiki it’s still in the game.

I am not a claustrophobic person because I live up my own rear end but this Subnautica game puts you inside some underwater wreckage, lights out, O2 running low, that make me physically hold my breath in anxiety. I notice I practically breathe big gulps of relief every time I surface or get back in my sub.

It took me a long time but I found the parts for the moon bay and the cyclops. Is the cyclops worth it? That’s a lot of parts. Game is real good and my base is super cool so I’ll probably build it anyways. I’m so glad the base pieces have those big long leg pylons holding them up, and they don’t just float in place. Makes it all seem much more legit.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Do Move controllers only charge off a Playstation or something? I hooked my pair up to a new 6 port USB charging hub I bought and they don't appear to have charged at all, whereas all the other devices I have plugged into it charged with no issues. I plugged them in to my PS4 using the exact same cables and now they're charging. :iiam:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Are they the older PS3 models?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Do Move controllers only charge off a Playstation or something? I hooked my pair up to a new 6 port USB charging hub I bought and they don't appear to have charged at all, whereas all the other devices I have plugged into it charged with no issues. I plugged them in to my PS4 using the exact same cables and now they're charging. :iiam:

I had the same problem so, yes. Or at least they are incredibly finicky.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Are they the older PS3 models?

Yeah, I assume so - didn't realise there was a difference!

lunar detritus posted:

I had the same problem so, yes. Or at least they are incredibly finicky.

Ugh, how stupid. Half the reason I splurged on this dumb hub was to free up USB slots on my consoles!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think PS3 era controllers are too old know they’re being charged from just a wall socket.