Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HeyItsAyls
Nov 25, 2011

Found a hilarious bug for the challenge Red Redemption that makes it easier than intended: You're supposed to fight Mother at the end of it, but if you use the Book of Revs on the final floor her bossroom is overridden by the Death/Conquest fight, and beating him counts as beating the challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

SkeletonHero posted:

Some devil room items grant soul/sin hearts on pickup (The Pact, Ceremonial Robes, Abaddon, there are probably some others) so you will actually gain hearts before you die.

Yeah, counting Dead Cat and Judas's Shadow there are like 8 different items you can kill yourself acquiring and survive

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Dead Cat has won me more than one final boss run because it can't respawn you outside of that fight so you just respawn right where you died.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

cursed eye also has no curse in the final boss rush

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Red Mundus posted:

One issue I'm having with repentance is that speed is such a binary pass/fail stat now with the increased shot speed/attack speed and new bosses and enemies. That's not to say that low/default speed is impossible but if you don't get a speed upgrade relatively early - doubly so when going the alt path - then you start bleeding damage from attacks that require incredibly tight movement or in some cases just outright being forced to take damage on certain rooms. It kind of reminds me of adaptability from dark souls 2 in that upgrading speed is less of an upgrade but more of a stat "tax" to get your character to a baseline where things feel more consistent.

Same. I had Soy Milk plus a ton of other Tears Up items (soy milk now stacks with those) and with Edens Blessing was hitting a RoF of 41+. Yes, seriously. My regular attacks looked like a brimstone beam made of tears.

But I died to Dogma because my speed was .53 and I simply couldn't dodge half the attacks.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
So I am starting from scratch to 100% and trying challenges first as a progress. I forgot how incredibly infuriating SPEED! was.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Remember before they patched it where it didnt speed up isaac along the rest of the game lol

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Waffleopolis posted:

So I am starting from scratch to 100% and trying challenges first as a progress. I forgot how incredibly infuriating SPEED! was.

:science: If you only do the challenge that unlocks the Jera rune, Greed mode becomes a lot easier. The chance for a rune to drop does not change for the curse room or the devil room or random red chests in the store, but the only possible rune you can get is Jera.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

ArfJason posted:

Remember before they patched it where it didnt speed up isaac along the rest of the game lol

I remember that I somehow still beat it, but I don't remember how.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I wasn't sure if this would work but as it turns out, you can beat the final boss on Corpse II and then use the Fool card to teleport out of the boss room. There was a Sacrifice Room on the floor and I was able to scrape together just enough hearts to farm the Sacrifice Room until it teleported me to The Dark Room. Then I killed Mega Satan and had the Void portal appear afterwards, so I got to kill Delirium as well for good measure. Extremely fun run.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

drat, this DLC really replicates that Antibirth feeling of having a god tier run, only to realise that you forgot all knife pieces, because you were too busy winning

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Dammerung posted:

I remember that I somehow still beat it, but I don't remember how.

like me you probably got a run so strong damage wise that you cleared floors at a pace where the speedups couldnt gently caress you up

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
anyway two more attempts at beating Mother as The Lost snuffed at gehenna. :/

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I hopefully can do runs again with how I beat Delirium as The Lost: Find a Gnawed Leaf and any items that can do damage by itself like Sacrificial Dagger or auto buddies.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Waffleopolis posted:

I hopefully can do runs again with how I beat Delirium as The Lost: Find a Gnawed Leaf and any items that can do damage by itself like Sacrificial Dagger or auto buddies.
You will get a lot of opportunities. Gnawed Leaf is not a particularly rare item.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Don't agree!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Man, I'm mad. I was actually having fun on the BRAINS challenge thanks to Chaos giving me Book of the Dead, which was a lot of fun having so many orbitals I could just tank the shots and loads of minions, and a Devil Tail so I had a supply of Black Hearts... but a trinket spawned just infront of Mom's door so I accidentaly picked it and lost devil tail, and I never got the Book charged in time for rooms with lots of enemies so I eventually started losing hearts thanks to the drat brains and lost at Isaac :argh:

On that note, what items tha aren't the usual Brimstone-Mom's Knife-Tech X-Sacred Heart you personally think are run winners? I find Sinus Infection kinda busted if you have a decent tear rate, the damage just piles up and it has no downsides.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Man, King Baby kicks rear end now. Pair him up with something like Lil' Brimstone and the game basically plays itself

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Holy piss the minecraft pick is good now

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the red pickax or the other one

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The regular one

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I'm guessing he means Notched Axe. I just looked it up and apparently you can swing it like The Forgotten's club now. drat

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i hadnt even thought buying a king baby maybe i need to read like a big list of all the buffs to existing items lol

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Psychedelicatessen posted:

drat, this DLC really replicates that Antibirth feeling of having a god tier run, only to realise that you forgot all knife pieces, because you were too busy winning

I've been working on unlocking the alt characters, and I keep forgetting to leave trinkets behind, or I swap the cracked red key with a tarot card or something.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Super No Vacancy posted:

i hadnt even thought buying a king baby maybe i need to read like a big list of all the buffs to existing items lol

Instead of just halting all your familiars in place they'll now all also independently engage enemies on their own

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Well, after a string of embarrassing failures, if this run doesn't beat the final final boss with Cain then I'm just giving up Isaac forever. On the offensive side, I have Tech X and haemolacria, which combine to spew an absurd number of Tech X rings everywhere when the haemolacria tear lands. I have sacred heart and a wide range of damage ups for a total of 32.58 damage. I have holy light, ghost pepper, and an effective 6 luck with the teardrop pendant. And I have triple shot, for three times as much absurdity. On the last floor I poked my head into a Gehenna boss arena via the secret room and both bosses died after I tapped the fire button once. On the defensive side, I have a full suite of twelve hearts plus strength card. I have Guppy's paw for an additional 27 hits. And I have 1.95 speed, the stopwatch and a small hitbox thanks to pills and guillotine so nothing should be hitting me to begin with. Seed is 0EE4LSEE if anyone else wants to have a poke around.

Broken runs are quite definitely still a thing, they're just a slightly different type of broken than before.

e: Oh yeah, everything died in seconds. That felt satisfying.

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 8, 2021

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kchama posted:

Turns out Scatman is pretty easy if you get a Lil Brimstone in your first Devil Deal.

How do people have trouble with this challenge? If you run into a monster and turn it to poop, you can use your iframes from getting damaged to turn everything else into poop without losing more health and then heal up whatever life you lost. Let your poop minions blow the bosses up.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

scatman challenge was actually really fun for me, i got one of the things that let you eat trinkets and then lucked into finding & chowing down on basically every poop-related trinket in the game. meconium made a big difference, especially

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Double Vision challenge can get. absolutely. hosed!!! My god that was one of the worst challenges ever in this. You have no edge!!!! You can go into secret rooms. ooooh! That's not helping me against the rooms PACKED FULL OF ENEMIES WITH A CHARACTER ITS ALREADY TOUGH TO DODGE WITH UNDER NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES!!!!! My theory is they came up with that before they decided to nerf 20/20 and left it in.

I had to cheese it with dark judas and don't feel the least bit bad about it. Some of those rooms were NOT DOABLE.

Baptism by Fire was awesome though. Love that flamethrower!!

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 9, 2021

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I had an amazing Tainted Forgotten going run on the Mother path, only for the red door to spawn on the north wall. I forgot that throwing your skeleton over a trapdoor counts as entering it :shepicide:

Ended up getting Hush and Delirium out of the way instead.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 9, 2021

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Kawalimus posted:

My theory is they came up with that before they decided to nerf 20/20 and left it in.
Yup, that challenge was already in Antibirth which didn't have the nerf.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

oh my god i thought i was getting the last hard mark for bethany but had like two hearts going into the last boss phase. got it down to a quarter health and got hit and thought it was over. but then i was still alive? and i managed to beat it

but wtf wheres my mark on bethanys post it. wait why did i get a clear as the lost????

so something turned me into the lost in the last phase?? what does that again? missing poster? i smelted like 15 items but i dont think that was one lol. very confused but i'll take it

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
It's it just me or do the challenges that add new pills add ones which are straight up bad or useless? Seems like those challenges are really not worth doing.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Percs! is extremely good, worth adding one more nothing pill to the pool for it. The two you get from Have a Heart are worthless though.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Lol if you still need the achievements for doing Victory Laps, Card Reading makes knocking them out pretty quick. This was my Basement I to Lamb dead time:

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Um, what the gently caress sort of thing am I looking for from the Hot Potato challenge? As bad as the Seeing Double one. I had a very favorable seed with tons of angel rooms with soul hearts, The Soul, Holy Mantle, Red Mom so no additional enemies, book of secrets so I knew where I was going, black candle. And the last fight with Satan was still so stupid I couldn't win it. This and the Seeing Double stuff are the first two things of this DLC I consider outright bad.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i am saying this not to dunk on you but more to empathize because it was a big problem i used to have with the game, but don't get mad when you die and just chill out and try again

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Planetariums are a really good edition to the game. Getting hosed on keys early in a run now has a chance to pay off with a strong item later down the line.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

flatluigi posted:

i am saying this not to dunk on you but more to empathize because it was a big problem i used to have with the game, but don't get mad when you die and just chill out and try again

Well I always like to get mad. It's more fun to be frustrated and then come back and beat it. Just like if a warbler gets away from me I get mad at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Augus posted:

Planetariums are a really good edition to the game. Getting hosed on keys early in a run now has a chance to pay off with a strong item later down the line.

i haven't checked yet, but do you get planetariums in challenges since they don't have treasure rooms to enter? if so it'd be a good reason to beeline unlocking it before working on more challenges

also, what's a good shortlist of challenges to make sure to get done to unlock stuff? i'm still working on a file that feels like it's barely unlocked everything (it doesn't even have the 100 deaths unlock yet)