Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

wait how the gently caress does that list pick Hamlet as the best of season 10

That should be the bottom of season 10 when 10 had boggy creek, future war, and final justice

They’re picking a sampler pack, not the best of each season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Oh so it's like that one chocolate everyone decides to never finish in a Whitman's

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

Ha, that was my first thought as well when the news broke. That they need to re-record the theme now.

It's somebody else at the beginning of the kickstarter video. Jonah maybe?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 60 days!

Dawgstar posted:

I'm also a bit iffy on Catalina Caper for season 2.

They're spot on about Manos, though:

quote:

Yet Manos’s incompetencies seem satanically deliberate, given that this film turned out to anticipate the dark psychosis that would overtake the closing years of 1960s America. The isolated desert locale, the off-putting free jazz soundtrack, the filthy sets, and the cultish sex vibe are how I envision life with the Manson Family during their stint at Spahn Ranch.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

I'm also a bit iffy on Catalina Caper for season 2.

I forget, is that the only (intentional) comedy movie they ever did (unless Quest of the Delta Knights counts that is)?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Larryb posted:

I forget, is that the only (intentional) comedy movie they ever did (unless Quest of the Delta Knights counts that is)?

I think the Wild Wild World of Batwoman was intended as a comedy also.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Larryb posted:

Wild World of Batwoman is certainly trying to be funny. Hobgoblins, too.

Edit: ^^^ beaten

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Proteus Jones posted:

I think the Wild Wild World of Batwoman was intended as a comedy also.

If Batwoman is, how about Village of the Giants?
Its goofy as hell.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

24 hours later, $1.8 million and climbing...:wow:

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Narsham posted:

Based on the frequent posts of a couple critics in an MST message board I peek at from time to time, I think you're spot on. A subgroup of people massively ignorant of the conditions under which TV is produced are convinced that Joel, on his own, is doing a lot of impractical artsy-fartsy stuff and insisting on higher production values instead of the bare-bones original show. Complaints about having all the extra puppeteers, for example, or not just having the three main performers with the puppets in the theater.

I also suspect that they don't understand other basic things like that the new MST3K is union, where the original cowtown show was not. But from the tone and content of their posts, somehow I don't think they'd be very open to the idea that paying people a fair amount for the work that they do is something to praise instead of condemning.

All the "Making of" features focused on crafting and pre-production and all the standard stuff that involves spending money on developing what goes onto the screen, and I expect that made these people angrier because why were they doing multiple concept drawings and models of stuff instead of just making it all? drat that Joel and his willingness to waste money; he's out of control without Jim Mallon to keep him in line.

Yeah, this stuff pisses me off. People don't realize the process behind making things.

I also don't think people get just how much work it takes to make something look thrown together.

Plus, the new stuff is being shot with HD cameras versus videotape, so now you can see everything in high fidelity. And the show wasn't a core group of people's full time job either. During the original run, that was the performer's main job. But now, the cast are doing this in between gigs. Joel mentioned how the voice actors wouldn't really have time to learn how to do good puppetry.

It wasn't like the Netflix stuff was overly elaborate. I think a lot of people think producing the show back in the 90s was just a 90 minute affair, and that's never been true.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I pledged $100 because yes, it's true, my first MST3k kickstarter T-shirt is getting threadbare.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

ultrachrist posted:

I pledged $100 because yes, it's true, my first MST3k kickstarter T-shirt is getting threadbare.

Wearing mine right now. The trick to longevity is not to wash it!

Also we're probably passing $2 million in the next hour or so. :popeye:

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
why is everyone so down on hamlet, it’s a great one :smith:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The problem is that bad Hamlet is ultimately just boring Hamlet.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Didn't they do two versions of Hamlet over the series?
EDIT: no, they did not

Brutalist German Hamlet and Shatner Esperanto Hamlet?

EDIT: Huh, I went looking and apparently them doing the Esperanto version was just a fever dream of mine.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 8, 2021

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

2 Million!

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
They've hit their goal. Yay.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

It’s like I always tell my son: the real money’s in puppet shows.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

Already at $1.72mil, likely to hit $2mil by 8 hours from now. If so, it will have reached in 24 full hours what the prior crowdfund attempt took a full week to reach

We did it :unsmith:

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
hot drat was that fast

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Splint Chesthair posted:

It’s like I always tell my son: the real money’s in puppet shows.

“I want to say one word to you Benjamin, just one word... puppet shows.

There’s a great future in puppets shows.

Think about it. Will you think about it?”

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

https://twitter.com/kwmurphy/status/1379535342433267712

https://twitter.com/TraceBeaulieu/status/1379977639247572992

:3:

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Has anyone built a guide that explains what the pledge goals actually are for the Kickstarter? I want to back it, but they're confusing me. Gizmoplex seems like a subscription service just for MST3K but it's also a physical theater and a VR thing? I'm confused by it.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

OTOH, that Hamlet taught us all that Ricardo Montalban would have been a fantastic Claudius.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Chainclaw posted:

Has anyone built a guide that explains what the pledge goals actually are for the Kickstarter? I want to back it, but they're confusing me. Gizmoplex seems like a subscription service just for MST3K but it's also a physical theater and a VR thing? I'm confused by it.

It’s a platform for releasing new episodes, but also streaming live events. I read the VR thing as something they’d like to add to it eventually.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
I hope this Kickstarter doesn’t end up like Star Citizen where they just spend the next 10 years selling Tom Servo JPEGs...

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Chainclaw posted:

The name is being used for both the streaming service and an actual set they're planning on making to use as a location in the show, and in turn it sounds like they'll be doing a VR conversion of said set to be used in conjunction with the app

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydney Bottocks posted:

They're spot on about Manos, though:

Agreed. Everybody should see Manos, just not everybody should see Manos first.

happyhippy posted:

If Batwoman is, how about Village of the Giants?
Its goofy as hell.

I think that's more just Burt I. Gordon not getting the 60's.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I hope this Kickstarter doesn’t end up like Star Citizen where they just spend the next 10 years selling Tom Servo JPEGs...

Of course not, that would be ridiculous.

They'll sell you Tom Servo NFTs

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Mantis42 posted:

:shepspends:

Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

In true MST3K fashion, they would have Crow selling pennies for several thousand dollars.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Go the mighty number 9 / inafune route and start another Kickstart before new episodes come out to make Earth Vs Soup

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think Village of the Giants is meant to be a goofy family comedy along the same lines of The Nutty Professor or The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes. It's just Bert I. Gordon is not a good filmmaker, there are no jokes, and the teenagers are way too malicious and not played for comedy enough.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Cercueil posted:

In true MST3K fashion, they would have Crow selling pennies for several thousand dollars.

"This 'You Know You Want Me, Baby!' t-shirt is unique!"

"We can see the boxes of t-shirts behind you, Crow."

"Ah, but every t-shirt comes with this unique blockchain identification number."

"Blockchain? Really? I'll take twelve!"

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Simplex posted:

I think Village of the Giants is meant to be a goofy family comedy along the same lines of The Nutty Professor or The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes. It's just Bert I. Gordon is not a good filmmaker, there are no jokes, and the teenagers are way too malicious and not played for comedy enough.

Tormented is way better than it has any right to be and I think that's because Bert's daughter was one hell of a child actor.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
TOM STEWART KILLED ME
TOM STEWART KILLED ME

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chainclaw posted:

They're at $2.22mil currently

$2mil (reached already): 3 more episodes and Gizmoplex streaming service created
$3.3mil: 6 more episodes and Gizmoplex apps availability
$4.4mil: 9 more episodes and a year of live events on Gizmoplex (at least two a month)
$5.5mil: 12 more episodes and 12 shorts

That's what's guaranteed. They've also explored 3D and VR possibilities for Gizmoplex

The bare minimum is we're going to get three more episodes and Gizmoplex

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

We're lookin on track to nail the big one, around a forth of the last one for backer count

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Simplex posted:

Also no doubt the growth scenes awakened something in somebody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dawgstar posted:

Also no doubt the growth scenes awakened something in somebody.

Pretty sure that person was Bert I Gordon, seeing how all his films had to do with something growing large