Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The Lone Badger posted:

In Australia it's OH&S (Occupation Health & Safety).

Arbeidstilsynet here - literally the work-to-lookers, though I guess something like Workplace Monitor or Employment Watchdog would be more idiomatic. They also handle general employment law, so "this will cut someone's head off" and "this contract demands illegal working hours" are two working groups within the same organisation. I'm not sure if that makes any practical difference.

There is also DSB - Direktoratet for Samfunnssikkerhet og Beredskap (the directorate of societal safety and preparedness), who write the rules on transporting and working with the different hazard diamond materials, electrical systems, emergency services, and generally all aspects of "try to keep the country from burning down or blowing up".

As I understand it, this means it's on Arbeidstilsynet to point out that your workplace doesn't follow applicable rules, while the DSB writes the rules for some of the specific hazards- and can do their own inspections, sort of like the ATF.

e: Norway.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I cut the tip of me thumb off on a deli slicer.

First it was "only" like a couple mm of tip but basically my thumb kinda looked like a can lid.

Secondly I remember the customer being annoyed at me because I turned around, told them I wouldn't be able to give them their order because I just cut myself badly. No I can't give you the loving lunch meat I just touched with my bloody hand wtf?

Also my store manager tried to get me back in the deli because I controlled the bleeding by laying the tip flap down and panic gluing it, but obviously I needed medical help lmao gently caress I hate this loving country hahahaha

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Well that escalated quickly. Audio, to increase the tension.

https://i.imgur.com/ofjzdja.mp4

Reminds me of when I dropped a length of chain at home depot it kept getting heavier and pulling itself out of the bucket the bulk comes in, while I struggled to pick up the wrong part like a loving charlie chaplin bit.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 8, 2021

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Audio, to increase the tension.

I turned on my audio, but the chain kept accelerating. Maybe my drivers are out of date.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Proteus Jones posted:

I turned on my audio, but the chain kept accelerating. Maybe my drivers are out of date.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The divers aren't likely to have dates anytime soon either.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I wonder what that's like for whatever happens to be living on the sea floor at that time. You're just chillin, filter feeding or whatever. Then WHAM a big loving anchor slams into the sea floor followed by a poo poo ton of chain.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Cojawfee posted:

I wonder what that's like for whatever happens to be living on the sea floor at that time. You're just chillin, filter feeding or whatever. Then WHAM a big loving anchor slams into the sea floor followed by a poo poo ton of chain.

I'm reminded of the crab and the sea floor pipe suction.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I'm reminded of the crab and the sea floor pipe suction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nce9QNK7ITY

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

tangy yet delightful posted:

Hungover cooking bacon in a pan, went without mishap, wanted to drain some of the fat off before frying eggs. Oh here is an empty solo cup that'll be great to pour hot bacon grease into. Cue cup melting and grease pouring directly onto my kitchen floor. Didn't actually injure anyone but got drat close and lucky.

Now, red solo cup ain't the best receptacle
To save hot grease from cooked delectables
And you might end up making a spectacle
If you didn't cool down your skillet

Red solo cups are real thin & pliable
But too much heat can make them less reliable
And I was hungover, it's undeniable
When I tipped the pan to fill it

Red Solo cup
I fill you up
Oh no, you're leaking
I'm really freaking

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

In Australia it's OH&S (Occupation Health & Safety).

"Occupational Health and Safety" rolls off the tongue so much better that I have to believe the US reversed it just to make the acronym sound better instead

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
seems a little excessive just to have a really loud back up 'beep beep beep' sound but i guess that's the price of safety

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I needs a gaming PC with some sort of industrial work simulator game running inside the cab.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/jhfF03i.mp4

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/LZig10R.mp4

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
:magical:

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Wearing my safety slippers to my job at the rotten plastic liner factory

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Oh man kitchen shenanigans.

I used to cook bacon hungover as gently caress without a shirt, lots of little grease burns. Another time I was proving to my wife that the stupid knife she refused to get rid of was not sharp anymore (it was a cheap POS anyway and didn't warrant sharpening) so I put the blade against my palm and dragged it; the blade was not sharp anymore but it was kind of serrated or rough and ended up cutting through a bit of skin and basically gave me a really bad friction burn.

I wasn't working the night this happened, but at a restaurant I worked at in college, dude was working the fryer and the person working the line behind him backed up, this dunked both of his arms into the fryer. He did not want to go to the hospital because he'd get a drug test, so he just put mustard, then mayo, then I dunno what, he did go to the hospital after his shift iirc. The scars from that were gnarly.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

MF_James posted:

Another time I was proving to my wife that the stupid knife she refused to get rid of was not sharp anymore (it was a cheap POS anyway and didn't warrant sharpening) so I put the blade against my palm and dragged it; the blade was not sharp anymore but it was kind of serrated or rough and ended up cutting through a bit of skin and basically gave me a really bad friction burn.

The way this scene played out in my head is super intense and disturbing.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Then I Bumped a Speep
Then I Bumped a Speep
I said
How do I get back there to the place where I saw that real big Yard Sard
How do I get myself to that place where
You said

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

The Bloop posted:

Then I Bumped a Speep
Then I Bumped a Speep
I said
How do I get back there to the place where I saw that real big Yard Sard
How do I get myself to that place where
You said

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

We had so many accidents with this loving thing that it became mandatory for everyone to wear cut-resistant gloves whenever operating it.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I was scrolling Facebook this afternoon when I saw this market post

Huh, I thought. That name rings a bell. Where have I heard of Stab-Lok Breakers bef-oh poo poo :stonk:

I contacted the seller and let them know they were selling special burn your house down switches.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/B8llS2y.mp4

Nth Doctor posted:

Huh, I thought. That name rings a bell. Where have I heard of Stab-Lok Breakers bef-oh poo poo :stonk:

I contacted the seller and let them know they were selling special burn your house down switches.

I texted my dad (a house inspector) asking if these were a good deal. I look forward to hearing what he has to say about them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Divers getting pulled into holes warning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEtbFm_CjE0

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

No.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Is what's happening here what's supposed to be happening?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Biden had better throw some bucks at the USCSB for more animated reenactments

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

alright folks, that's a wrap

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

For a second or two I thought the guy on the right hand his arm tangled up inside the wrap :gonk:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’m assuming that was written in response to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba8-Vjn2a8c

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Nth Doctor posted:

These and Zinsco (just as bad) are widely available on ebay for use as replacements.

Fortunately they won't fit either style of modern panel, so if you're using them you already have a house full of special burn-me-down switches.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Memento posted:

Is what's happening here what's supposed to be happening?
These are all certainly things that can be done in web handling, I can't argue with that. I never did understand how to look at a web process and understand if what they're doing is safe because its just constantly getting in the line of fire of rotating equipment or the high speed linear result of webs its handling.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Apparently stabloks are still somewhat legal in Canada so people are buying them up to use in their panels instead of spending money on fixing their breaker panel.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

It's middle of the night here and my neighbours (renters) somehow managed to burn down a sofa, the firefighters left after using a very noisy generator and the smell finally left my apartment after an hour.

All in all not the most relaxed night.

I'm gonna ask for details tomorrow.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Wasabi the J posted:

Reminds me of when I dropped a length of chain at home depot it kept getting heavier and pulling itself out of the bucket the bulk comes in, while I struggled to pick up the wrong part like a loving charlie chaplin bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dQJBBklpQQ

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Cojawfee posted:

Apparently stabloks are still somewhat legal in Canada so people are buying them up to use in their panels instead of spending money on fixing their breaker panel.

Stab-lok's aren't "illegal"

They got bought by Schneider up there, who put their excellent, and non-fradulant trip mechanisms in them (same ones as go in Square D panels), and they were installed new up until at least recently.

The company who bought Stab-lok in the US uncovered records of them custom building a few breakers that would pass UL testing, which was wholly different from the one they put in the ones sold to consumers (i.e. fraud) and didn't even have the means to produce a compliant product, so they dissolved the sale and the SEC fined what was left of the company into bankruptcy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Story of the time Russia formed a flotilla to fight the Japanese during the Ruso-Japanese war and the many friendly fire, excessive lizards, and international incidents caused by it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mdi_Fh9_Ag

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 9, 2021