Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Title. At this point an Etch-a-Sketch would be an upgraded experience. My windows machine died so thrust into the world of Apple on wife’s MacBook with very little experience on how to resolve issues. Really just want to use this for web browsing that requires more than a phone, google docs, printing, managing music and documents.

Primary question: Would a ram upgrade be possible and improve experience significantly?

Secondary question: Am I missing any easy steps/software that would help?

Problem description: Don’t know how much detail there is to give. Laptop takes forever to start and navigate. Opening apps is excruciating as is the first few minutes of using them. It kind of gets into a groove at that point and is usable until the next one is needed. Performance is decent at that point, can even play GeForce Now games!

Attempted fixes: Everything in this article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/macpaw.com/amp/how-to/speed-up-mac

Cleaned up desktop, removed startup items, refreshed index, etc.

Recent changes: System updates and the stuff in that article above.

Operating system: MacOS Catalina 10.15.7

System specs: Model A1278
Mid-2012 13in
2.5 ghz dual core intel i5
4gb 1600mhz ddr3
Intel HD graphics 4000 1536 mb

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes
Many conflicting accounts of if RAM upgrade is possible, how much can it use, would it help, what type, voltage, etc.

Plz Halp Goons!!! I know zero about Macs so any info is valuable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
If you install Linux Mint on it, it will run like new and I think you'll be happy with it. It is a lot like Windows. You can reinstall MacOS if it doesn't work out.

https://www.linuxmint.com/

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Schweinhund posted:

If you install Linux Mint on it, it will run like new and I think you'll be happy with it. It is a lot like Windows. You can reinstall MacOS if it doesn't work out.

https://www.linuxmint.com/

Appreciate the link! Good to have this option in the back pocket. Going to try and keep the Mac intact as a Mac for now. Hoping this can just be a bridge to my next windows pc. Can you dual boot a Mac?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Yes, not sure if you can keep your current MacOS install and do that, but you can install Linux & MacOS on the same MacBook.

You could also run Linux Mint off a thumb drive, but everything will reset to default when you log off. It should be good for browsing the internet though.

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Schweinhund posted:

Yes, not sure if you can keep your current MacOS install and do that, but you can install Linux & MacOS on the same MacBook.

You could also run Linux Mint off a thumb drive, but everything will reset to default when you log off. It should be good for browsing the internet though.

Another great option! I’ll look around for one of those to test it out. Thanks!

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

ReverendDre posted:

Primary question: Would a ram upgrade be possible and improve experience significantly?

Yes, more RAM would help. Using an SSD would help even more probably.

ReverendDre posted:

Many conflicting accounts of if RAM upgrade is possible, how much can it use, would it help, what type, voltage, etc.

This should show what's possible:
https://www.crucial.com/store/systemscanner

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Zogo posted:

Yes, more RAM would help. Using an SSD would help even more probably.

This should show what's possible:
https://www.crucial.com/store/systemscanner

Thank you! I’ll check that site out.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

If you are comfortable with some disassembly, new thermal interface material/paste would probably help at this point too. If it's been run hard in its life and is now nine years old, it's probably crusty and not too effective. I would for sure go SSD first, RAM second, paste third, if I was trying the easiest route.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Deffo do the RAM if you're gonna be using this for any length of time, ssd is also a correct move.

If either of those don't help, try changing the HD cable itself. Near 100% of the 13" unibodies have a defective HD cable that slows things drastically. In fact I'd order one out of caution anyway if you're replacing the drive to be an ssd.

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Appreciate the feedback all! I think I’ll definitely be changing the ram and looking into the SSD and HD cable. The thermal paste and cleaning might be out of my skill set but I’m sure there’s YouTube guides out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Any news?