Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Endless Mike posted:

If Cyclops opens his eyes wide enough, the entire punchlaser dimension will come over!

What if a bunch of denizens of that dimension come streaming into ours through his eyes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Cyclops is the human valve that lets energy into the universe and Ice Man is the valve that directs energy out. Of course, it all makes sense and is perfectly balanced: For every punchlaser there is an equal and opposite icebeam.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

site posted:

hmm idea, rogue + eye boy + cyclops

Man this would loving rule. Eye Boy has been doing a hell of a loving lot lately and I love it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

marshmallow creep posted:

Cyclops is the human valve that lets energy into the universe and Ice Man is the valve that directs energy out. Of course, it all makes sense and is perfectly balanced: For every punchlaser there is an equal and opposite icebeam.

that makes a lot of sense actually :thumbsup:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

hmm idea, rogue + eye boy + cyclops

Rogue did something similar in Mike Carey's X-Men I think, using Emma's diamond form to somehow refract the punch lasers.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Rogue is probably the smartest designed OP-yet-mostly-balanced character in the whole of comic books tbh. She can do pretty much anything but only for a little while, it makes her super bummed out and she has to risk killing other cool character(s) to do it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

Rogue is probably the smartest designed OP-yet-mostly-balanced character in the whole of comic books tbh. She can do pretty much anything but only for a little while, it makes her super bummed out and she has to risk killing other cool character(s) to do it.

Now consider that Synch is Rogue without the weaknesses.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Synch is a total ripoff of an idea for a mutant I had when I was 8. Only my version needed to hold people's hands to use their powers so I could draw him holding hands with Wolverine and Jubilee and shooting fireworks out of his claws.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Synch is a total ripoff of an idea for a mutant I had when I was 8. Only my version needed to hold people's hands to use their powers so I could draw him holding hands with Wolverine and Jubilee and shooting fireworks out of his claws.

That's totally different. :rolleyes:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

8-year-old you sounds pretty dope

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Skwirl posted:

Rogue did something similar in Mike Carey's X-Men I think, using Emma's diamond form to somehow refract the punch lasers.

I was just reading that run, and it is indeed a really cool scene.

I feel bad for that poor fish though.
(X-Men (1991) #188)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The one that's gained the power cosmic and is hovering?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The newest Herald of Galactus: Nemo

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

site posted:

hmm idea, rogue + eye boy + cyclops Gorgon

"We have you surrounded, mutie! You can't withstand all our forc-"

BLINK

And now there's an army of stone bigots to bury with Cyclops or Xavier next time they die.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Now consider that Synch is Rogue without the weaknesses.

Mimic too, right? They finally decided he's a mutant, I think?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think Mimic at least has a limit on the number of powers he can steal, maybe? Exiles Mimic could use five powers at half power.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

goatface posted:

The one that's gained the power cosmic and is hovering?

Speaking of gaining cosmic abilities, just pretend I posted that one page from Hulk in this thread.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Gologle posted:

Speaking of gaining cosmic abilities, just pretend I posted that one page from Hulk in this thread.

why did you just post the thumbnail? you should post the full image next time

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Immortal Hulk #45: If you havent't been reading Immortal Hulk (you should, it's realllly good) the Immortal part comes from the fact that when he dies, he passes through a magic green door in a place called the One-Below-All (it's basically super-hell), but the Leader has taken over/merged with the One-Below-All and has blocked Hulk's door, which is a big problem when the U-Foes kill him. So now it's up to a massively depowered Savage Hulk and a fully depowered Joe Fixit (the Gray Hulk, who's been mysteriously depowered since his first appearance in the series) to fight their way out of hell, while up above the U-Foes are bathing the corpse in cosmic radiation to hopefully prevent him from respawning.

edit: okay I think it's been long enough to sit untagged

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 8, 2021

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Immortal Hulk is great, but 45 just came out today. Throw some spoiler tags on that.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I will say that the endless horror of people beginning to realize that the Hulk's super power isn't being really strong, it's overcoming all adversity, is never a let down. He has more in common with someone like Darwin than The Thing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mulva posted:

I will say that the endless horror of people beginning to realize that the Hulk's super power isn't being really strong, it's overcoming all adversity, is never a let down. He has more in common with someone like Darwin than The Thing.

I was so pissed the Hulk Buster suit actually worked in Avengers 2.

Edit: I'm like 0-3 on these things. I thought for sure the Hulk Buster would fail, didn't think Batman would defeat Superman, and thought (Godzilla versus King Kong spoilers, because it's kinda recent and people might both not want to go to a theater and not have HBOMax)Kong was gonna beat Godzilla for sure. wrong, wrong, wrong.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 8, 2021

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

Skwirl posted:

I was so pissed the Hulk Buster suit actually worked in Avengers 2.

Well that’s the first time Hulk fought it. Assuming no external influences and since he survived, doesn’t Hulk become stronger/more resistant?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Does Al Ewing ever write anything bad? I'd never really heard of him, but kept seeing his name on 2000AD and 2000AD adjacent things this past year. He's certainly not a dull writer.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

The Hulk Buster always works.

The first time.

That makes it so much more satisfying when they try again and Hulk beats it like a baby seal.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Elissimpark posted:

Does Al Ewing ever write anything bad? I'd never really heard of him, but kept seeing his name on 2000AD and 2000AD adjacent things this past year. He's certainly not a dull writer.

He's absolutely one of the best guys working right now

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tsilkani posted:

The Hulk Buster always works.

The first time.

That makes it so much more satisfying when they try again and Hulk beats it like a baby seal.

Yeah, as noted, the Hulk's real superpower is overcoming adversity. Usually by punching it real hard.

One of my low-key favourite Hulk moments is in the pilot episode of the Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon: Graviton has the Avengers beaten, pinned with his gravity powers... but Hulk starts to get back up. So Graviton redoubles his efforts, making the gravity so intense the pavement itself sinks into the earth beneath... and then the Hulk gets back up.

drill press corps
Sep 28, 2007

Only my friends can call me Pigfucker.

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, as noted, the Hulk's real superpower is overcoming adversity. Usually by punching it real hard.

One of my low-key favourite Hulk moments is in the pilot episode of the Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon: Graviton has the Avengers beaten, pinned with his gravity powers... but Hulk starts to get back up. So Graviton redoubles his efforts, making the gravity so intense the pavement itself sinks into the earth beneath... and then the Hulk gets back up.

The theme song for that show was awesome.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I should rewatch that show. Shame Jeph Loeb hosed up the second season.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

drill press corps posted:

The theme song for that show was awesome.

It wasn't and I'm tired of people saying it was.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Elissimpark posted:

Even the checks he writes are good.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
checks notes he wrote... royals??? which was only mediocre? canceled imo

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

site posted:

Al Ewing is Lorde... Confirmed!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

site posted:

Royals was good, it just feels bad because Death of the Inhumans sucked so much it retroactively took some of the good out

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Marvel really loving wiffed hard on trying to make the Inhumans the new X-Men, pissing off Matt Fraction so bad he left the company when he was supposed to head up the whole thing and they'd already published 1 or two issues of his comic about it was probably a mistake.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Retro Futurist posted:

He's absolutely one of the best guys working right now

I legitimately feel bad for whoever has to follow him writing the Hulk.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
They need something light-hearted, so they'll get Bendis on it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mulva posted:

I legitimately feel bad for whoever has to follow him writing the Hulk.

Hulk is going to need a reboot afterward. It might be a soft reboot where "and now we will never speak of these things again until some writer years down the line decides to reuse them" but Ewing's Hulk is so idiosyncratic that they'll have to set the Hulk back to "normal" so other writers can tell their own Hulk stores.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Someone mentioned this in another conversation, but Ewing is usually very good at putting the toys back in the toybox, if you know what I mean. I wouldn't worry about what comes after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It can always be undone. Could probably get an event out of it if you wanted. Another "rights of Banner against rights of everyone else on the planet" argument before you pull the trigger on a reality manipulator while Uatu stands in the background face palming.