Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

learnincurve posted:

No. They are going to offer people under 30 a choice, but that choice will most likely be AZ or get to the back of the queue.

Edit: did you even read the article yourself???

Nice username/post combo.

Claiming that someone is antivax for being uncertain about wanting to take AZ when multiple countries (including their own) have suspended the use for their demographic is absolute bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I think there's a point being missed here:

It's not just "blood clots", it's a very specific, rare type of clot combined with extremely low platelet counts that mostly specifically hit younger women right after they recieved the vaccine. If you have the flexibility to adjust your plan to avoid that (AZ for the olds, others for the young) and still vaccinate everyone...why not?

So here's the thing: the UK is affected by this way more than a lot of other countries restricting AZ because Boris' vaccine plan was "BRITISH VACCINES FOR BRITISH PEOPLE RAH RAH RAH". If you look at the vaccine orders the UK can't restrict AZ much and still vaccinate enough people because they didn't order enough non-AZ vaccines. Their two biggest buys were 100 million AZ and 100 million of some random Valneva one being produced in Scotland that is nowhere close to being ready. They only ordered 40 million J&J and 17 million Moderna.

However if you're Europe or Canada and did buy a wider variety of vaccines then why take the risk when you can just give AZ to older people and still vaccinate everyone else on time with the others?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It's the repeated use of the word "dangerous" when the risk of this plague to yourself and others is obviously and demonstrably worse while posting links that say as much as "proof" which is pissing me off.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

learnincurve posted:

It's the repeated use of the word "dangerous" when the risk of this plague to yourself and others is obviously and demonstrably worse while posting links that say as much as "proof" which is pissing me off.

Proof will be available and assessed when studies are completed and the relevant health authorities have either reinstated or continue to suspend use.

Your bullshit take on it is entirely worthless and you can gently caress off with haranguing people.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yeh wouldnt want to understand why someone who has said they work with 300 immunocompromised children may not like doomposting or anything.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I really want a post mortem a year from now on how the hell Sweden handled covid better than most of the EU despite the loose restrictions and cavalier masking

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mu Zeta posted:

I really want a post mortem a year from now on how the hell Sweden handled covid better than most of the EU despite the loose restrictions and cavalier masking
Isn’t their per-capita mortality rate still above all of their neighbors?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I have to fly there next week and I’m kinda nervous. Their rules are random as hell.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

FlamingLiberal posted:

Isn’t their per-capita mortality rate still above all of their neighbors?

Yes much higher than norway and Finland which i think everyone predicted would happen. But the interesting comparison is with countries like Belgium with strict lockdowns vs Sweden never locking down.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

Yes much higher than norway and Finland which i think everyone predicted would happen. But the interesting comparison is with countries like Belgium with strict lockdowns vs Sweden never locking down.

AIUI it's much more complex than just "X locked down, Y didn't". Swedes practiced a lot of social distancing even without an official order to do so which already confounds that simple comparison, but then you also have to look at demographics, population density, overall health of the population, state of the healthcare system, and a million other factors.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Blitter posted:

Your bullshit take on it is entirely worthless and you can gently caress off with haranguing people.

Your take on things generally isn't worthless bullshit, but all in all I don't think you're the best one to call out another poster for "haranguing people."

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Influenza existed long before the 1918 pandemic, the strain involved in that basically did burn out and no longer exists outside of some corpses in permafrost. There’s four different virus species and it’s been documented since the 1500s.

The 1918 outbreak established influenza as a permanent worldwide pandemic, though. It doesn't matter that the virus has existed for far longer, that wasn't the point. Coronavirus isn't new either, but we'll still have to live with these new variants for the future.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Sweden is a very sparsely populated country overall, and last time I looked, their city data didn't look good.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

learnincurve posted:

Yeh wouldnt want to understand why someone who has said they work with 300 immunocompromised children may not like doomposting or anything.

This sounds like your cue to step away from the thread for a moment. I say that as someone who had to do so for weeks at a time throughout last year.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm taking a break at 400 funerals because I don't think I can keep dealing with dead, broken dreams.

My 400th is schedule for beltane.

E: I wanna point out that's projection-based but I'm filling in on weekdays now, sometimes, too.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Fame Douglas posted:

The 1918 outbreak established influenza as a permanent worldwide pandemic, though. It doesn't matter that the virus has existed for far longer, that wasn't the point. Coronavirus isn't new either, but we'll still have to live with these new variants for the future.

I think you missed the point of the first post you replied to if this is the point you were trying to make.

It was a discussion about whether or not it's reasonable to expect the future variants to get less lethal or more lethal and why that would or wouldn't happen. This was based on the assumption that this covid-19 and future variants would be around for good. So replying to tell us that the virus isn't going away isn't really adding anything to discussion.

Also that particular variant did disappear, hence we don't have a >2% mortality flu that kills 20 year olds as much as 80 year olds burning through every year. Of course less lethal variants descended from the 1918 flu still kick around, though they aren't the sole source of seasonal flu. Hence the discussion about whether or not it was reasonable to expect covid-19 variants to become less lethal like the 1918 flu did.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Here for my 2nd dose. First time, this place ran like clockwork.

This time? Really understaffed, slow, tons of waiting.

Still, hooray, 2nd shot!

e: Got it. I'm pretty sure it doesn't work if you don't post about it. So better safe than sorry.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 8, 2021

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I work at a rehab and I was just diagnosed with COVID today. DANG IT.

I feel fine right now but I guess that could change.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

People under 50 can still opt in for AZ with "informed consent" if they want, especially if they've got co-morbidities that would put them at higher risk of severe illness from covid. It's not officially banned or anything, the language they're using is that Pfizer is the "preferred" vaccine for under 50s. That's also dependent on us not having any community spread, if there's a large scale outbreak they'd change the recommendations again. People under 50 who already got the first dose of AZ will still be getting AZ for their second dose.

Their messaging on this whole thing has been pretty lovely so far, they'll be holding cabinet meetings tomorrow to discuss the broader implications on the vaccine rollout plans but the PM said it's "far too early" to say anything else about it.

I'm booked for my first dose of AZ this morning. I'm going ahead with it because there's no certainty that I'll be able to access a different vaccine any time soon.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

gay picnic defence posted:

I doubt CSL will be going ahead with the original plan now. It makes zero sense to continue making AZ if Novavax is available and AZ can't be used on 3/4 of the population.

We already have a heap of Novavax on order but we're not due to start receiving it until mid-year and who knows what the supply situation will be like then.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
My province announced yesterday finally that chronic illness peeps and essential workers are up next.

I'm an essential worker so loving A let's do this.

They update the guidelines that only CERTAIN essential workers can get the shot. Which I am not a part if that group.

gently caress my life, 2 more months to go before the 1st jab at a minimum :(

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
Anyone have a good resource or a brand they trust for procuring personal Kn95 masks?

I have a job where indoor contact with unmasked idiots is basically unavoidable and the state just got rid of all mask mandate stuff.

I seem to have issues getting the same brand twice and there's like a 50% chance the sizing is all hosed up or the glue is falling apart.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

FlamingLiberal posted:

If this turns out to be correct we are in serious trouble

https://twitter.com/reutersscience/status/1379745972394332161?s=21

Late, but 1/3rd of Americans seemed to have brain disorders before they got covid. Well, half.

edit: a few people already made this joke :(

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 8, 2021

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A Stupid Baby posted:

Anyone have a good resource or a brand they trust for procuring personal Kn95 masks?

I have a job where indoor contact with unmasked idiots is basically unavoidable and the state just got rid of all mask mandate stuff.

I seem to have issues getting the same brand twice and there's like a 50% chance the sizing is all hosed up or the glue is falling apart.

I’ve been happy with bonafidemasks.com. Good price and good quality.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Fallom posted:

I’ve been happy with bonafidemasks.com. Good price and good quality.

Seconding this. We used kn95s from them for months.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Agreed. Their masks are good, maybe a little snug on my fat face but that's probably because of my fat face instead of the mask.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

dwarf74 posted:

I was under the impression the 1918 pandemic was H1N1, which is still around today.

It was a strain of H1N1, but the H1N1 that’s kicking around is not the same as the 1918 H1N1.

Fame Douglas posted:

The 1918 pandemic didn’t establish influenza worldwide, an increase in global travel did. Had nothing to do with the characteristics of the virus. Hell, that one kicked off in Kansas and influenza was first documented in Europe, it was worldwide before that. The first well documented pandemic flu was in Russia in the late 1800’s and it was in the US within months.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The 1918 pandemic didn’t establish influenza worldwide, an increase in global travel did. Had nothing to do with the characteristics of the virus. Hell, that one kicked off in Kansas and influenza was first documented in Europe, it was worldwide before that. The first well documented pandemic flu was in Russia in the late 1800’s and it was in the US within months.

I remember reading that the 1918 pandemic did establish H1N1 as a worldwide thing. What you seem to be referring to is global air travel causing today's seasonal flu phenomenon (some countries like Austria only experienced single-digit flu cases this season thanks to lockdowns and travel restrictions)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I got my second jab today about 4 hours ago and so far not even any arm pain. For my first one I had some minor pain at the shot site for maybe 12 hours and that was it. Hopefully it works out the same. I'm drinking right now though so probably not the best thing to do but it's ok, it's beer, so I'm hydrating.

:thumbsup:

The VA has been doing pretty well with this. The CVS across the street seems to be giving them out now. Same one. Pfizer.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I got my second jab today about 4 hours ago and so far not even any arm pain. For my first one I had some minor pain at the shot site for maybe 12 hours and that was it. Hopefully it works out the same.

The arm pain was a creeper for me, it wasn't until many hours later at night when I realized "oh poo poo my arm kinda hurts" and the next morning it still felt bruised. It's been 2 1/2 days and it's still a bit sore but better. It was never really seriously painful but enough of a thing that I knew it was there when I moved my arm around. Like someone punched me in the arm with their knuckle out or something. Not saying it'll definitely happen to you but I remember thinking the same thing earlier in the day.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

The first well documented pandemic flu was in Russia in the late 1800’s and it was in the US within months.

Unless that was human coronavirus OC43.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fame Douglas posted:

I remember reading that the 1918 pandemic did establish H1N1 as a worldwide thing. What you seem to be referring to is global air travel causing today's seasonal flu phenomenon (some countries like Austria only experienced single-digit flu cases this season thanks to lockdowns and travel restrictions)

Most of the H1N1 (which is not a common form of flu in humans, it’s been the dominant strain in like four outbreaks out of hundreds) are directly traced to swine outbreaks and aren’t dependents of the 1918 strain. The 2009 strain was a really goddamn weird hybrid of four different strains, because it had been kicking around in pigs on different continents for ages.

H1N1 isn’t a worldwide “thing”, the few pandemics it’s had have all been novel zoonotic strains. There’s been some outbreaks here and there since 2009, but all very small and not related to the 1918 virus, with far, far lower case fatality rates.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Ive been curious about something with the vaccines. Say youre a nurse working a covid ICU and youre vaccinated. Is it worse for someone like that because their immune system is constantly being bombarded by the virus? Like the vaccine should protect, but a normal immune system isnt under constant attack from covid like a nurses is.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Most of the H1N1 (which is not a common form of flu in humans, it’s been the dominant strain in like four outbreaks out of hundreds) are directly traced to swine outbreaks and aren’t dependents of the 1918 strain. The 2009 strain was a really goddamn weird hybrid of four different strains, because it had been kicking around in pigs on different continents for ages.

H1N1 isn’t a worldwide “thing”, the few pandemics it’s had have all been novel zoonotic strains. There’s been some outbreaks here and there since 2009, but all very small and not related to the 1918 virus, with far, far lower case fatality rates.

Checking Google, I probably misremembered the 1918 pandemic establishing H1N1 in humans as establishing it worldwide.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Charliegrs posted:

Ive been curious about something with the vaccines. Say youre a nurse working a covid ICU and youre vaccinated. Is it worse for someone like that because their immune system is constantly being bombarded by the virus? Like the vaccine should protect, but a normal immune system isnt under constant attack from covid like a nurses is.

edit: maybe I don't understand the premise but I highly doubt it. I'm not sure if immune systems get "tired." But I am not a virologist.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 8, 2021

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
My son is a nurse who had his second Pfizer shot yesterday. My daughter is also a nurse and has no idea when she'll be vaccinated. She's 29 so it's unlikely that any of the community vaccination clinics will be willing to give her AZ.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

I got my second jab today about 4 hours ago and so far not even any arm pain. For my first one I had some minor pain at the shot site for maybe 12 hours and that was it. Hopefully it works out the same. I'm drinking right now though so probably not the best thing to do but it's ok, it's beer, so I'm hydrating.

:thumbsup:

The VA has been doing pretty well with this. The CVS across the street seems to be giving them out now. Same one. Pfizer.

Arm pain for me on the first shot was pretty significant. I teach martial arts and I'm pretty used to getting hit; this was like taking a real solid roundhouse kick to the arm.

The second shot hurt more on injection (I found out later that they had to switch to bigger needles in order to be able to get more vaccine doses out of each vial), but there was much less arm pain afterwards. I got the first shot on my right arm and the second on my left; interestingly, about half a day post 2nd shot I noted that my right arm where I had the first injection was aching again. That was kind of strange.

I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that one of the side effects of the first shot for me was that I almost entirely stopped having any sort of skin reaction to our dog that I'm allergic to (I used to get hives covering my arms after playing with him). That has persisted; I'm keeping my fingers crossed that maybe the second dose will also knock out my seasonal allergies.

Bodies are weird.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Lol if the coronavirus vaccine cures allergies in some people.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Castaign posted:

Arm pain for me on the first shot was pretty significant. I teach martial arts and I'm pretty used to getting hit; this was like taking a real solid roundhouse kick to the arm.

The second shot hurt more on injection (I found out later that they had to switch to bigger needles in order to be able to get more vaccine doses out of each vial), but there was much less arm pain afterwards. I got the first shot on my right arm and the second on my left; interestingly, about half a day post 2nd shot I noted that my right arm where I had the first injection was aching again. That was kind of strange.

I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that one of the side effects of the first shot for me was that I almost entirely stopped having any sort of skin reaction to our dog that I'm allergic to (I used to get hives covering my arms after playing with him). That has persisted; I'm keeping my fingers crossed that maybe the second dose will also knock out my seasonal allergies.

Bodies are weird.

"Bodies are weird" is basically the motto in our weight loss thread in YLLS lol. I lifted weights and have had severe DOMS before and was also in kickboxing, MMA, and BJJ for quite a while and I understand what a bruise or physical pain is.

But yeah, I still have no arm pain 6 hours later. Nothing. I had almost no symptoms the first shot either. I'm not saying I'm not going to get sick, but so far nothing. I'm just reporting to everyone here my status. I hope tomorrow doesn't suck.

It's kind of... discouraging in a way... to me that I'm not getting sick. Why is my body not building an immune system response? I mean, I'm not too worried about it but since I've heard so many people, MOST people, experience symptoms and I have absolutely nothing, that's a bit strange to me.

:shrug:

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Late, but 1/3rd of Americans seemed to have brain disorders before they got covid. Well, half.

edit: a few people already made this joke :(

Just blame your brain disorder for why you made it so late.