Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I stand with CrazySalamander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

CrazySalamander posted:

What? Is this a spoiler or something in some insane way? I've never even watched AoT.

I think we really need someone to describe the whole AoT ending so we can tell if that was a spoiler

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I don't know, I'm just a cry baby at endings like what I described . I would prefer it if Revnege ended with Franchouchou outting themselves, people accepting them, and being reunited with their families.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

bro this happened over ten years ago

Here's a quote from the last page of the previous anime discussion thread:

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's been a while since I watched Haruhi, what was she mad at in that scene again? I assume Kyon?

Haruhi pretty clearly is likely to be discussed at least semi regularly, and goons being goons are likely to argue about it. I don't have search but I would be interested if someone who did looked at the discussion threads for instances of Endless 8.

GorfZaplen posted:

I stand with CrazySalamander.

Thanks. I do feel like a lot of the people posting in this thread have a lot of "someone is wrong on the internet" vibe.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

but what if you’re wrong

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
8888.ring 8eason #15,532

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Erg posted:

but what if you’re wrong

If I'm wrong about goons arguing about endless 8 that's great! That means I get to learn something.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

CrazySalamander posted:

Just coincidence. That being said I bet that it gets discussed at least a couple times a year in the discussion thread given how contentious it is.

Eh, it might not be exact but it gets my point across. Sometimes people in charge of shows or manga make really stupid decisions. IMO Endless 8 was a poor decision that cost them audience goodwill but that is not really provable. Also Endless 8 made me mad so I'll take potshots at it occasionally.

This is well put and I may as well put my crackpot theory out there: the angry reactions to Endless 8 shook the author's confidence (angry feedback, regardless of amount can stand out) and knocked them into a hiatus.

This is from an era where the revenue stream from North America while addictive I don't think would have affected the LN author's confidence. It might have resulted in them canning however that KyoAni pro-Haruhi producer was Japan-side but I can't see how it would have affected the author one way or another. Maybe the Japanese audience if it was similarly negative might have affected the author, but I doubt it because the author I think is going to care far more about the reaction/reception to the novel than about the adaption even though its primary goal is selling the novel.

I think it had to statistically happen that regardless of how successful your work is you get creative burnout and lose interest in dedicating every waking moment to that IP. Look at how much of GRRM's life revolves around Game of Thrones as a result of how successful it is, conventions, tie in novels, merch, screenlighting, consultations; no time to actually write or consider experimenting with something else.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CrazySalamander posted:

This is well put and I may as well put my crackpot theory out there: the angry reactions to Endless 8 shook the author's confidence (angry feedback, regardless of amount can stand out) and knocked them into a hiatus.
the novels were already having massive delays before endless 8 aired tho.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
list of haruhi light novels:

volume 1: may 2003
volume 2: september 2003
volume 3: december 2003
volume 4: july 2004
volume 5: october 2004
volume 6: march 2005
volume 7: august 2005
april 2006: season 1 of the anime
volume 8: may 2006
volume 9: april 2007
april 2009: season 2 of the anime
volume 10: may 2011
volume 11: may 2011
volume 12: november 2020
there was already a two year delay. there are two years on either end of s2 airing and volume 10. what, did he get a premonition?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also even so, the way Endless Eight was adapted was all on KyoAni. The novels literally only did like one of the loops.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Endorph posted:

the novels were already having massive delays before endless 8 aired tho.

Never underestimate writer's block. It doesn't need a reason.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

Never underestimate writer's block. It doesn't need a reason.
Thats my point!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Super Cub was great. I found it more suspenseful at times than other more 'high stakes' things I've watched so far this season.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

3d Tohru is real and can hurt you.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Super Cub and Odd Taxi are my favorites of the season so far - I’m at best cautious about Combatants Will Be Sent! and that permadeath VR MMO show

I watched the new MHA and was struck by how little I care about these protagonists / how much I hate Mineta / and how I want the various villains to mess up the metahuman police state or something in an act of creative destruction

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I loved the return of Zombies, Revenge had good songs in the first episode. Also yeah the cgi dancing looked better than last season.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

wolfs posted:

how much I hate Mineta

That kid really is the goddamn worst. I passively watch the show via a friend of mine streaming old editions of Toonami, and every time he's on screen stream chat immediately turns into "shut up grape kid" and "gently caress off grape kid".

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
dont worry if mineta was gone the lovely sex jokes would just be divided up between the cast instead

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
dont worry the students will never be relevant again

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Kwyndig posted:

I loved the return of Zombies, Revenge had good songs in the first episode. Also yeah the cgi dancing looked better than last season.

I enjoyed that the first song was a song about dried squid.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

also iruma-kun is a better bnha

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the only thing mineta has done in the new season is stop a bridge from collapsing

get over it

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Oh dear, dried squid? This does not bode well for the girls

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Willo567 posted:

also iruma-kun is a better bnha
Also Railgun

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Wow! The Spring Anime thread is talking about Endless 8.

I didn't know endless 8 is playing this spring! What a treat!

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Nitrousoxide posted:

it's my fault. i said that i didn't want zls revenge to end with them passing on and instead be outted as zombies, accepted by the public, and be able to be together forever.

it spun into Endless 8 discussion from there

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's the reason we call it endless...

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Colonel posted:

dont worry if mineta was gone the lovely sex jokes would just be divided up between the cast instead

Which, in turn, would make everyone else worse. So, in a way, Mineta serves a useful purpose, even if he still sucks.

But alas, not every Shonen Jump horndog character can be as good as Denji.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Mix. posted:

It's loving baffling to me that there was literally zero interaction between our protagonist and the other woman summoned to this world (or, like. literally anything from her, period- did she even get any lines?), but again, only the beginning, so who knows.

No, the other girl did not get any lines other than maybe a surprised gasp if that even counts. I don't think we've even gotten her name at this point.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
let us all free ourselves from shounen jump

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Which, in turn, would make everyone else worse. So, in a way, Mineta serves a useful purpose, even if he still sucks.

But alas, not every Shonen Jump horndog character can be as good as Denji.

The funny thing is that Horikoshi has said he knows a lot of people don't like characters like Mineta, which is why he deliberately limits Mineta's panel time. I suspect that actually makes people hate him more, though, because he doesn't really have room for character traits other than being a horndog.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
horikoshi tried giving mineta a small character arc once and it was one of the wonkiest moments in that chunk of the story cause mineta was not conceived with any purpose other than perpetuating sex jokes, so

the lesson is that i'm bored of mha

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

kirtar posted:

No, the other girl did not get any lines other than maybe a surprised gasp if that even counts. I don't think we've even gotten her name at this point.

hopefully we get something like that in ep 2 or 3, because like. you'd think even if the rest of the people at the palace dropped Sei like a sack of bricks that the other girl would still, you know, want to talk with the literal only other human being from the same world as her?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I tried Way of the Househusband and Super Cub tonight. Super Cub was much better.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
househusband is not exactly a prestige anime production despite the manga's quality

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

The Colonel posted:

househusband is not exactly a prestige anime production despite the manga's quality

They spent all the budget for the Private Ogata guy to be the voice actor so the animation is just moving Photoshop layers around with the mouse.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Not sure if this is a Saints magic power manga spoiler or not, but just in case

the manga is thoroughly unimpressive and spends most of it's time spinning it's wheels. I would suggest lowering expectations

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
no this isnt a budget thing the animation was an actual directive from the producer at netflix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It's humorous but kind of sucks that all the house husband adaptations decide on having terrible visual gimmicks