Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I really like DCEU Amy Adams Lois. She figures out Clark is Superman before Clark does, tracks him down by pursuit leads, she's goes badass on kryptonians in their ship and takes out a bunch.

She was pretty decent in MOS, but was mostly reduced to just Superman's love interest/widower in follow up movies. I still find it strange that they didn't have her get the Kryptonite spear from the puddle instead of Superman in BvS. Would have made more sense and given her at least a small moment of agency and plot relevance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

glitchwraith posted:

I still find it strange that they didn't have her get the Kryptonite spear from the puddle instead of Superman in BvS. Would have made more sense and given her at least a small moment of agency and plot relevance.

Batman v Superman absolutely did dirty by Lois Lane. They had her running around the whole movie unraveling the big secret (that the audience already knows) only to have her captured and reduced to a damsel in distress at the end while Lex Luthor just flat out monologues his plan. It was infuriating.

And yeah, they could have absolutely have had Lois retrieve the spear herself without any help and it would have led to an homage to Zack Snyder's favourite film, Excalibur:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o4viqGUtrw

It's right there! It's even green!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Vintersorg posted:

I told my wife about this and she's like, no way in gently caress are you doing 2 cups of popcorn! :lol:

Did you watch Shin? People die. It's what happens when a monster shows up. Be happy they didn't really go this far in GvK though, hehe.

Yeah I watched Shin I love that movie. But Shin isn't Legendary Godzilla. They're completely different characters and tones, just like most Godzillas are from one another.

Also Shin is a political satire about the ineffectiveness of government during a disaster and also is the first time anyone's seen a kaiju in-universe but they still evacuate Tokyo faster than Hong Kong in GvK, a movie set in a world where kaiju are such a known thing that cities have emergency alert systems for them.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Blockhouse posted:

Also Shin is a political satire about the ineffectiveness of government during a disaster and also is the first time anyone's seen a kaiju in-universe but they still evacuate Tokyo faster than Hong Kong in GvK, a movie set in a world where kaiju are such a known thing that cities have emergency alert systems for them.

That honestly sounds right. A world where you’ve never seen any kind of kaiju before means you’re going to haul rear end when one shows up, vs a world where “the goddamn Godzilla alarm is going off for the 3rd time this month, it’s probably another false alarm I’m going to just finish my tea first”

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I know we're done with The Unnamed Movie but there's a long interesting story about how Joss Whedon and Geoff Johns are shitheads (some of it recapping old stuff but much of it new) that I figured might be of interest.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It really is crazy how many of the 90s DC Animated casting choices were just completely spot-on perfect for the characters. Dana Delany’s Lois is right up there with Conroy’s Batman and Hamill’s Joker, and nothing has come close since (although tbcf I haven’t seen Superman & Lois yet).

Whenever I read comics I have the DC animated voice actors voices in my head. The casting for all the characters in all the shows were so freaking spot on.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I agree but I'm also almost soured on the DCAU at this point due to how nobody has been able to let go of it for the past twenty years so we get Kevin Conroy trying to play young Bruce Wayne like he isn't 65 years old and vocally showing it

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Blockhouse posted:

I agree but I'm also almost soured on the DCAU at this point due to how nobody has been able to let go of it for the past twenty years so we get Kevin Conroy trying to play young Bruce Wayne like he isn't 65 years old and vocally showing it

I appreciated that his part in CW’s Crisis was an insane version of the Kingdom Come Bruce, an elderly crippled man in power armor trying to murder a Kryptonian with his bare hands. Subvert the fan expectations for him as an actor and don’t try to shoehorn him into a younger or more active role.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Blockhouse posted:

Don't be silly, that'd be like trying to blame Alan Moore for all of DC's repeated dives into dumpsters full of edge and grime over the past 30 years, and no one would be silly enough to do that in earnest.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

twistedmentat posted:

Hell, the FLEISCHER Superman cartoons had Lois as an active reporter, sneaking around, not taking poo poo from anyone. She's the one that sneaks aboard the giant bomber and lets everyone know the Japanese Spys are stealing it in that one with the very racist name.

I was thinking which was worse, Martha Kent being Martian Manhunter or the Thirsty joke from Whedons?

I mean, the Fleischer cartoons kick rear end in general, though I keep rewatching the first disk with The Mechanical Monsters and Arctic Giant instead of going on to the wartime ones.

Anyways, Martha being Martian Manhunter, since it eliminates her big character scene. Every other time she's playing a fairly minor role, and so her one big moment is ruined because it's not actually her.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

dying at Geoff Johns' publicist being like "my client loves the gays, why, he co wrote portions of a comic that is now old enough to drive that featured the first appearance of a gay Batwoman"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

catlord posted:

I mean, the Fleischer cartoons kick rear end in general, though I keep rewatching the first disk with The Mechanical Monsters and Arctic Giant instead of going on to the wartime ones.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/157966

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

glitchwraith posted:

She was pretty decent in MOS, but was mostly reduced to just Superman's love interest/widower in follow up movies. I still find it strange that they didn't have her get the Kryptonite spear from the puddle instead of Superman in BvS. Would have made more sense and given her at least a small moment of agency and plot relevance.

Yeah, I think that's my issue. I think Adams is fine and the movies at least pay lip service to her being a good reporter. But in the overall narrative she feels more like a Superman support character than her own. And Lois has always felt more than that to me.

And yeah, I did not understand why you have her go for the spear and fail. That's just weird.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I guess I'm not remembering very well but I thought she did get the spear successfully and Superman has to lift a rock for her to escape the pool. Superman probably could not have dove down there and come up with it himself, she did like 95% of the work there.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah she gets the spear but the roof collapses while she's in the water and she gets trapped.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I checked. She starts looking for it, gets trapped when the ceiling comes down, starts drowning, Supes saves her, then he goes back down and gets it. She doesn't seem to ever even touch it. Its weird because, yeah, you'd think she would have gotten it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
her dumping the spear and then attempting to recover it was completely pointless and feels like it only exists because she would essentially disappear two thirds of the way through the movie if it didn't

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It seems to exist as an excuse to get them together for a goodbye before Supes sacrifices himself. Which is fine and understandable but there had to be a better way to do that besides having Lois get herself into a situation where Superman has to leave battle to rescue her. That's not great.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Her dumping the spear is awkward for the script as a whole but makes perfect sense for her to do at the time she does it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Hot drat, that's really cool!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Collapsing Farts posted:

It'd be better if Superman was gay and had a boyfriend

Or multiple boyfriends, like a harem

It would be better if Superman didn't have such an exhaustive canon of facts so that he could be married to Lois Lane one week and dating Jimmy Olsen the next week without either of those things contradicting.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lori Lemaris should have swam up with that spear

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Lois Lane has suffered from being miscast twice now. The first word that comes to mind when I think of Lois is "spiky", and I don't think anyone associates Kate Bosworth or Amy Adams with that -- Adams at least can do it, but it's way out of her wheelhouse. Then you add the fact that the scripts keep doing her no favors and she's handed to directors who aren't up to the job of rescuing a female character who gets presented to them already in a deep, deep hole, and you get lovely modern Lois.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The virgin Lois Lane clumsily drops the spear but the Chad Lana Lang heroically retrieves it and delivers it to Superman.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

It would be better if Superman didn't have such an exhaustive canon of facts so that he could be married to Lois Lane one week and dating Jimmy Olsen the next week without either of those things contradicting.

DC's latest event merged continuity so that he can in fact do this now.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lobok posted:

The virgin Lois Lane clumsily drops the spear but the Chad Lana Lang heroically retrieves it and delivers it to Superman.

Lori Lemaris is clearly better suited for this role.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I'm reasonably ambivalent to Snyder and his Cut these days, but I am actively repulsed by everything about Joss Whedon, so now I want to get a hashtag going that makes Marvel release the Snyder cut for Age of Ultron. Just have Snyder reshoot and recut everything Whedon has done in his mediocre life and erase him from public memory.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

I’d rather they try to make it good instead of another flavor of mediocre.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

I'm reasonably ambivalent to Snyder and his Cut these days, but I am actively repulsed by everything about Joss Whedon, so now I want to get a hashtag going that makes Marvel release the Snyder cut for Age of Ultron. Just have Snyder reshoot and recut everything Whedon has done in his mediocre life and erase him from public memory.

The issue here is that a lot of what Whedon worked on is also the hard work and effort of other talented creators. Even if you rebooted Buffy without him or whatever it sucks for the people who put a lot of effort into writing and acting on it to basically say their word has no more value because of Whedon, especially since Whedon wasn't responsible for large chunks of it.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

SlimGoodbody posted:

aw man Cap will go apoplectic when they make Tony say "gently caress" instead of "poo poo"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Even if you rebooted Buffy without him or whatever

They are doing that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SlimGoodbody posted:

not defending Whedon (or criticizing Snyder even), but

nah, not really into this even as a joke

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

https://twitter.com/CBR/status/1379560864198623235

OK you have my attention even more now. I wasn't a huge fan of the show but his voice work was really good.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wow, that's cool. Now for the sea of posts and memes of people expecting to hear "SHOCCKERRRR!"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Wow, that's cool. Now for the sea of posts and memes of people expecting to hear "SHOCCKERRRR!"

You say that like it's a bad thing

YOU CAN'T ESCAPE MEEEEE

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TwoPair posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing

YOU CAN'T ESCAPE MEEEEE

I think it could work but my mind went to "I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!" from X-Men 3.

Edit: clicked that Twitter link and of course:

Lobok fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 9, 2021

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Variety has a really good interview with Chris Terrio out today where he dishes in his experiences and frustrations working on the DC films.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/04/chris-terrio-justice-league-batman-v-superman

It's not the usual drama because he never met Whedon or had trouble with Johns, it's more about how the wall street guys were calling the shots and Tsujihara kept forcing them to cut stuff for time.

He's mainly happy about the ZSJL being out and the BvS: Ultimate being out because whatever problems people have with them they were actual substantive criticisms of his work instead of criticisms of what someone else mutated his work to.

He is right about Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice being a god drat terrible name though. Made people react negatively before they'd seen a single frame.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

I think it could work but my mind went to "I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!" from X-Men 3.

Oh, ha, I didn't actually expect anything in the movie (nor do I want it really), I just thought you were saying it was lame when goons post about that... which it is, but it's still hilarious to me.

Frankly I don't know what I'd actually want out of a 90s Spidey appearance in S-V2 besides Barnes' voice. I guess maybe an appearance of Peter Parker's awful awful casual wear?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

He is right about Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice being a god drat terrible name though. Made people react negatively before they'd seen a single frame.

God, I want to know the story of how they ended up with that name, it's just such a bad, dumb name that sometimes the name comes to mind, unprompted, and I can't help but laugh. The 'Batman v Superman' makes it sound like a court drama, the 'Dawn of Justice' sounds goofy as gently caress, put them together and it sounds even sillier. Please tell me, WB Execs, why did you think this title would go over swimmingly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

catlord posted:

God, I want to know the story of how they ended up with that name, it's just such a bad, dumb name that sometimes the name comes to mind, unprompted, and I can't help but laugh. The 'Batman v Superman' makes it sound like a court drama, the 'Dawn of Justice' sounds goofy as gently caress, put them together and it sounds even sillier. Please tell me, WB Execs, why did you think this title would go over swimmingly?

It was their version of "The First Avenger." It's not enough to have movies that lead up to the eventual team movie, you have to tell audiences it's coming in the titles of movies. But then they also had to go that route of using something like "Dawn of" or "Rise of" for some extra cliché creative bankruptcy.