Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
They also clipped a bunch of little details which annoyed me. All For One's speech at the end I think worked a lot better in the manga when it had a short scene of him dequirking a bunch of criminals who were attacking quirkless people and them begging at his feet for forgiveness afterward when the quirkless people started loving them up. It kinda drives home the first's point about AFO just using people. I'm just gonna say that after the last few different series I've watched in the previous couple of seasons, this is really just starting to look cheaply produced. I know we're only one "real" episode in but woof, some of those cuts aren't great.

E: BONES did do one good thing in that they rebuffed Mirko. I hope Horikoshi specifically requested it.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The Mirko scene was pretty janky too though. Like the way her kick hit the ground and how she bounced back into the air after, the physics and framing just felt off.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also Mirko is apparently voiced by Sayaka Kinoshita

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sayaka_Kinoshita

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

oh jay posted:

The Mirko scene was pretty janky too though. Like the way her kick hit the ground and how she bounced back into the air after, the physics and framing just felt off.
It's not super encouraging.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

A lot of stuff felt off-model in this episode.

Hopefully this means that Bones is conserving budget for all the fights that will happen this season, not that Bones isn't putting effort in the adaptation.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Option 3: COVID has hosed this season's production, and it's going to be extremely obvious on rewatch "ah, right, that was the season produced during the pandemic."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

A lot of stuff felt off-model in this episode.

Hopefully this means that Bones is conserving budget for all the fights that will happen this season, not that Bones isn't putting effort in the adaptation.

Yeah, I’m hoping the animators are just saving their A game for stuff like MVA and some of the stuff that happens during the Joint Training arc

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There's a bunch of little mistakes like forgetting that Dabi's ears are supposed to be crispy too in some shots.

Sana-kan
Nov 6, 2009
I think the animators just don't care about Dabi. A few seasons back the opening with the League shown prominently Dabi was missing his neck scars and i think it was a while before they corrected it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They're doing another movie which is where all the budget and animation is going.

Last weeks recap was awful and this one wasn't much better.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I mean we don't know if the movies hurt production of the TV anime but man I dunno given the last season or so

Edit: The Cast, reacting to the animation cuts from this episode

https://twitter.com/myheroacademia/status/1378256277403361281?s=20

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 4, 2021

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's hard to go from jujutsu kaisen to any other shonen jump adaption. that show had barely any off episodes

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Alternate Volume 30 covers that were rejected.

https://twitter.com/myheroacademia/status/1379050277114847242?s=20

I kinda get why- mostly because the first one is rad but shows something that doesn't really happen and is a bit more violent than the covers usually are (barring that one All Might cover), and the second kinda lacks any context- also Bakugou got the last cover.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I actually really like the first one in part because showing something really dramatic and outrageous on the cover that doesn't really happen in the actual story is tried and true tradition for cape comics. :v:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Thematically correct is always way better than actually correct.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Is Horikoshi okay? No chapter this week?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

DizzyBum posted:

Is Horikoshi okay? No chapter this week?

Not sure about this week but there wasn’t one last week at least (I think he might be sick or something)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Jesus I hope he didn't get loving COVID seeing Eva with Gege.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Scans are coming out so looks like we are getting a chapter this week:

Deku has a jetpack now???? I guess Float needs some help.

Also I did some Vigilantes catching up and apparently All for One has a bunch of baby toys in his evil lair? It's ambiguous how far in the past Vigilantes is but that seems like a really weird, specific thing for them to establish.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 8, 2021

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Nephthys posted:

Also I did some Vigilantes catching up and apparently All for One has a bunch of baby toys in his evil lair? It's ambiguous how far in the past Vigilantes is but that seems like a really weird, specific thing for them to establish.

Was that during the fight with the Proto-High End? It's probably a throwback to High End's first appearance being in a kindergarten surrounded by toys. They sure pivoted from the horrifying implications of that quick, by making him a cage fighter instead.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Nephthys posted:

Scans are coming out so looks like we are getting a chapter this week:

Deku has a jetpack now???? I guess Float needs some help.

No. He is envisioning his Quirks as support items to help better call upon them.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

No. He is envisioning his Quirks as support items to help better call upon them.

which is a pretty cool call back to how he got One for All to work for him in the first place with image training!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Although the egg in the microwave never really seemed to work out too well tbh

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Although the egg in the microwave never really seemed to work out too well tbh

"Imagine you're microwave radiation oscillating at the correct frequency to warm the egg without breaking it!" Yeah that's an intuitive visualization All Might. I'm ENERGY!!!

Make Endeavour teach at UA assuming it doesn't burn down/get disintegrated.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Deku definitely learned more about practical application of his Quirk from two weeks with Endeavor than he did with almost a whole year with All Might

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It probably helped that Endeavor also has a quirk that can hurt him if he overdoes it

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, the unfortunate thing about Deku is that he wound up getting a superpower that liquifies his bones given to him by a guy who thinks that self-sacrifice is the most noble virtue.

It's a wonder the kid still has a functional skeleton.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
He also learned control and focus from Gran Torino and used a taiyaki in the microwave as a visualization. Endeavor pulled him up, but Gran Torino laid the groundwork All Might didn't.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

That's pretty neat, and it kind of ties back into the original idea of Deku being Quirkless Hero who used gadgets. Here he's just imagining his different powers as different tools to pull out

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SgtSteel91 posted:

That's pretty neat, and it kind of ties back into the original idea of Deku being Quirkless Hero who used gadgets. Here he's just imagining his different powers as different tools to pull out

I'm really glad this concept made it into the manga, I always thought it was cooler than Surpassing Power.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

Deku definitely learned more about practical application of his Quirk from two weeks with Endeavor than he did with almost a whole year with All Might

Well, as it’s turned out All Might is simultaneously a genius at using OFA who also has no idea how to use it so that’s understandable

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
(New chapter spoilers)The 6th’s(black hair and trenchcoat) quirk is Smokescreen. This just leaves the quirks of the 2 inheritors that were facing the wall right?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I can't remember the manga acknowledges that All Might was a lovely teacher, right?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

I can't remember the manga acknowledges that All Might was a lovely teacher, right?

Multiple times

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah he flat-out gets called on it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Yeah, Gran Torino says it to Deku and Aizawa even acts shocked when he starts not sucking at it before realizing he has a “teaching for dummies” book in his pocket.

He’s not a bad teacher in the sense that he’s fundamentally unsuited for the job, but rather in the sense that he never had to struggle to learn certain things and so he doesn’t really know what he’s doing when trying to teach them. Provided he lives, he’d probably be a decent teacher a year or two down the road.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

He literally buys a book on how to be a better teacher.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
I mean that's not a huge surprise: "what, you're having trouble? Just do it perfectly the first time like me???"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
“Using 100% of your power hurts you? Try using less!”

Although lol that the advice to stop thinking of OfA as something special and just something innate came from Gran Torino and not him, the only other quirkless holder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
It’s the same idea as successful athletes not necessarily being able to coach.