Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's extremely obvious the Housers wanted to be Hollywood directors and really like the movie Heat. Acknowledging this doesn't make GTA V better as a video game, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

CHIMlord posted:

Amusingly, Hidebu! isn't a swear word; it's what the authors of FotNS decided Itai yo! (It hurts!) sounds like if you say it while your head's exploding. With FotNS being as influential as it is, it's now a meme.

Similarly the other one, "Abeshi", is
" "Abeshi!", on the other hand, is the combination of a powerful "Aaaaaa!" scream - like the kind you would make if you broke a limb - with "べしっ" ("besshi"), the Japanese onomatopoeia for getting punched in the face. "

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

orcane posted:

It's extremely obvious the Housers wanted to be Hollywood directors and really like the movie Heat. Acknowledging this doesn't make GTA V better as a video game, though.

Max Payne 3 is Man On Fire The Video Game so this definitely tracks. Sadly, this desire to emulate a film style without understanding it made Max Payne 3 so very much worse. :smith:

edit: And this isn't conjecture either, the quick cuts and handheld camera cutscenes of the game are inspired by films like Collateral and Man on Fire and those directors did it much, much better than the Housers. Video's timestamped but if you want a plot comparison too it's earlier on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKUuSNpQS90&t=96s

Max Payne 3 is imo the best and most simple third person shooter ever made gameplay wise, but Rockstar did Max Payne the franchise real dirty.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:05 on Apr 8, 2021

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I would also like it if Rockstar went back to the Bully franchise or did a smaller scope story. Maybe this is a cretinous statement, but open world games are just too big sometimes and it'd be neat to explore a smaller and denser world.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

As much as I've been into big open world games this past year, there's absolutely something to be said for more linear, tightly-designed shooters and such on a gameplay level.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You're never gonna see Rockstar doing smaller scope again, "huge open world X TIMES LARGER THAN THE OTHER ONE" just hits too many marketing hotspots.

e: plus they need them for the online bit

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020
Speaking of, I always loathe when games describe how large their world is by using real world measurements. Like... this means nothing. This is a number without meaning.

Grunch Worldflower has a new favorite as of 22:03 on Apr 8, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Honestly I'm okay with that even if I desperately want Bully 2. Rockstar has decades of experience and is clearly top class when it comes to making open worlds. With the exception of parts of V's map I dislike I don't think they've ever made a bad map.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

https://twitter.com/EvilBillMurray/status/1380267591009116162?s=19

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ok I'm glad it's not just me. Lately I've been very burnt out on open world stuff and just can't get into it. The only one's that's stuck with me in the last year or so was BoTW because it was a manageable size and didn't have a million useless sidequests to do. Everywhere you went there'd be something interesting to see or do, as opposed to moving around a drab city doing fetch quests

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Retro Futurist posted:

Ok I'm glad it's not just me. Lately I've been very burnt out on open world stuff and just can't get into it. The only one's that's stuck with me in the last year or so was BoTW because it was a manageable size and didn't have a million useless sidequests to do. Everywhere you went there'd be something interesting to see or do, as opposed to moving around a drab city doing fetch quests

120 Shrines
900 Korok seeds

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Korok seeds are mostly just things you find. Turn over a rock that's out of place and you get a Korok seed.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Maxwell Lord posted:

The Korok seeds are mostly just things you find. Turn over a rock that's out of place and you get a Korok seed.

Yes it is tedious busywork to fill out the giant map

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Grunch Worldflower posted:

Speaking of, I always loathe when games describe how large their world is by using real world measurements. Like... this means nothing. This is a number without meaning.

The first Elder Scrolls had a world map so large that it couldn't handle someone trying to manually walk from one town to another and would eventually crash if you actually tried

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Len posted:

Yes it is tedious busywork to fill out the giant map

You're not meant to hunt all of them like some kind of woodkin-focused Terminator. They're clearly meant to be momentary diversions to reward you for being observant enough to see something out of place. BotW's equivalent of when Ocarina of Time hid grottos with goodies in them in stone circles or under boulders.

Just because you CAN collect everything doesn't mean you're SUPPOSED to.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

You're not meant to hunt all of them like some kind of woodkin-focused Terminator. They're clearly meant to be momentary diversions to reward you for being observant enough to see something out of place. BotW's equivalent of when Ocarina of Time hid grottos with goodies in them in stone circles or under boulders.

Just because you CAN collect everything doesn't mean you're SUPPOSED to.

Oh I did not, I think I got like 100?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
botw's goal was that if you go somewhere and think something looks interesting, you should be able to go there and find something there. the korok seeds are a part of making that happen, and there are so many of them because you need to put a LOT of stuff into a word to get people to find something everywhere they try.

that said, i also think in no way nintendo meant for people to seriously worry about getting and doing Everything in the game and as refreshing as that is in comparison to, uh, every other open world game in recent history, it might've benefitted from making things a little easier on people with that compulsion. but I don't think the game's worse off for not doing so.

Gaius Marius posted:

Honestly I'm okay with that even if I desperately want Bully 2. Rockstar has decades of experience and is clearly top class when it comes to making open worlds. With the exception of parts of V's map I dislike I don't think they've ever made a bad map.

i don't really want them to do bully 2 because bully 1 benefitted a lot from the limited scope and also from being focused on a lovely, rebellious teen. given how bad and out of date GTA's politics continue to be i'd easily imagine jimmy going from a guy who gives presents to his five boyfriends to a terrible adult who drops gay and transphobic slurs b/c he hates he was like that as a kid

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Open world design is almost entirely stuck in the "main quest/side quests/collectables" mold that Ubisoft has done to death, and I think there are still plenty of interesting ideas to explore in the space. Like the system in AC: Odyssey where Athens and Sparta are battling for control of the map's regions and you can help one or the other side was the start of something interesting, but it was as shallow as it could be and mostly relegated to a side activity. Focusing entirely on something like that and making it as in-depth as possible would make for a fresh take on an open world game.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Triarii posted:

Open world design is almost entirely stuck in the "main quest/side quests/collectables" mold that Ubisoft has done to death, and I think there are still plenty of interesting ideas to explore in the space. Like the system in AC: Odyssey where Athens and Sparta are battling for control of the map's regions and you can help one or the other side was the start of something interesting, but it was as shallow as it could be and mostly relegated to a side activity. Focusing entirely on something like that and making it as in-depth as possible would make for a fresh take on an open world game.

i'm waiting on a better video card to dive into the newer asscreeds still, but i think you're describing the same sort of faction stuff that saints row has had

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Triarii posted:

Even in the games that have developed that more, like Just Cause or Shadows of War, the problem with open worlds is still that they always feel like islands of meaty content separated by a sea of relative nothingness.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

flatluigi posted:

i don't really want them to do bully 2 because bully 1 benefitted a lot from the limited scope and also from being focused on a lovely, rebellious teen. given how bad and out of date GTA's politics continue to be i'd easily imagine jimmy going from a guy who gives presents to his five boyfriends to a terrible adult who drops gay and transphobic slurs b/c he hates he was like that as a kid

I kinda hope that they'd change protagonists tbh rather than it being a direct sequel, like they do for GTA

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There was a few supposed leaks that showed earl builds of bully 2 with a new protag. Those are probably dead now

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Rockstar lost me with RDR2. Feeding/cleaning your horse, bathing yourself, cutting your hair, etc all felt like chores. This may be a hot take, but I felt the little details were a cynical way to increase word of mouth advertising rather than anything that enhances your gameplay experience. Like no one in their right mind would notice if your horses balls shrink in cold weather, but it feels like a wacky detail to add to a "10 Insane Details You Missed In RDR2" YouTube video.

Anyways I'm playing FF7 Remake and I came across this cutscene: https://youtu.be/u31uURkbpdY

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

grittyreboot posted:

Rockstar lost me with RDR2. Feeding/cleaning your horse, bathing yourself, cutting your hair, etc all felt like chores. This may be a hot take, but I felt the little details were a cynical way to increase word of mouth advertising rather than anything that enhances your gameplay experience. Like no one in their right mind would notice if your horses balls shrink in cold weather, but it feels like a wacky detail to add to a "10 Insane Details You Missed In RDR2" YouTube video.

Anyways I'm playing FF7 Remake and I came across this cutscene: https://youtu.be/u31uURkbpdY

Thing is, stuff like that could make a game feel awesome, but not a game where the primary form of interaction you have with your environment is shooting it.

Some sort of hiking game, or exploratory frontier game, or something like that. Not a game about people who need gunning down.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

grittyreboot posted:

Every few months I open rdr2 up and try to do a mission, then spend 10 minutes riding my horse to that mission and remember why I gave up

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Retro Futurist posted:

Every few months I open rdr2 up and try to do a mission, then spend 10 minutes riding my horse to that mission and remember why I gave up

Slow Walking Simulator claims yet another victim

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Slow Walking Simulator claims yet another victim

I don't even mind that, I'd much rather play Dear Esther than sit on my horse and jostling my controller every few seconds because I've wandered into a bush

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I've played RDR2 twice. It really resonated me, for whatever reason. I want my horses to be happy and I want to ride around skinning animals until I feel like doing story.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I really just want someone other than Rockstar to do an open world cowboy game. They've got their approach and I respect it, but there should be alternatives. GTA has Saints Row, someone do Saints Row But With Horses.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The pinnacle of cowboy games was Call of Juarez: Gunslinger.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Bound in Blood was also excellent but in a very different way.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I think a Asscreed game set in the Wild West would be cool

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

bony tony posted:

You can't do that though, you can't both do the thing and proclaim that doing the thing is bad. The writers get to eat their cake and have it too, and I don't care for it.

I think of this as the Austin Powers 3 law of screenwriting: "pointing out how stupid you are being isn't the same as being clever"

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

RoboRodent posted:

I've played RDR2 twice. It really resonated me, for whatever reason. I want my horses to be happy and I want to ride around skinning animals until I feel like doing story.

Same.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Games with a lot of things to manage and slower game play have to be more immersive for me personally, I don't have a lot of patience anymore since gaming time is precious, but Rdr2 managed to pull me right in. Very good story, amazing world building and graphics, it all went together very nicely. I have a friend who was hyped af for it and then never got out of valentine for some reason, it just doesn't click for some people.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Whybird posted:

I think of this as the Austin Powers 3 law of screenwriting: "pointing out how stupid you are being isn't the same as being clever"

Is this in reference to the time travel or the whole movie?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

there are criminally few cowboy games in general. There’s what, RDR2, hunt showdown, and a scattering of indie games most of which no one has heard of?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

there are criminally few cowboy games in general. There’s what, RDR2, hunt showdown, and a scattering of indie games most of which no one has heard of?

That and pirate games

I would love a pirate game in the vein of ME2 style bioware. Gather your crew across the caribbean, help them accomplish their goals, defeat the uh.. pirate ghost is a classic. Combine that with some sailing mechanics and pirate management, like some people being better at certain jobs etc and you got a heck of a game

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

GUN was a hidden gem from back in the ps2 generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Elvis_Maximus posted:

That and pirate games

I would love a pirate game in the vein of ME2 style bioware. Gather your crew across the caribbean, help them accomplish their goals, defeat the uh.. pirate ghost is a classic. Combine that with some sailing mechanics and pirate management, like some people being better at certain jobs etc and you got a heck of a game

Ubisoft has had a golden opportunity to just make another AC4/Rogue game with the Assassin bits removed that'd make literally everyone happy. Unfortunately someone clearly kept muttering "but what if we made it multiplayer... :pseudo:" under their breath in the pitch meetings and now Skull and Crossbones keeps popping in out of existence while it almost certainly suffers in development hell.