Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Humerus posted:

Maybe I'm misinterpreting this in a major way but the Rogue Squadron movie is going to be post episode 9, isn't it? They said it was leading into a new era for Star Wars.

That's what we've heard so far. So either First Order mop up, or whatever the next enemy in the forever war is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Humerus posted:

Maybe I'm misinterpreting this in a major way but the Rogue Squadron movie is going to be post episode 9, isn't it? They said it was leading into a new era for Star Wars.

As far as I know, we have no idea when Rogue Squadron is set.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 8, 2021

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

jivjov posted:

That's what we've heard so far. So either First Order mop up, or whatever the next enemy in the forever war is.

Where did that come from? I thought everything we heard so far was vaguely saying “moving into a new era” or something that could be taken to be either moving past episode 9 or just the nature of the movies and whatnot. I don’t recall it being explicitly stated yet that it’s definitely going to be set post-Rise of Skywalker, but I haven’t kept up on every rumor related to it yet since it’s still over 2 years away.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

fartknocker posted:

Where did that come from? I thought everything we heard so far was vaguely saying “moving into a new era” or something that could be taken to be either moving past episode 9 or just the nature of the movies and whatnot. I don’t recall it being explicitly stated yet that it’s definitely going to be set post-Rise of Skywalker, but I haven’t kept up on every rumor related to it yet since it’s still over 2 years away.

Yeah, I don't know where jivjov is getting that it's going to be post Episode IX from. "Moving into a new era" could mean a lot of things. There was some speculation from the logo that it featured a T-85 X-Wing, so it was around the time of the sequel trilogy, but then people pointed out that it was a trick of the lettering hiding the circles, and it could also be the old school X-Wings. The fact is, we don't know, and I certainly haven't seen anything from Lucasfilm about when it's set. They're doing their standard, "We're not saying anything until we have to."

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

You joke but there actually was an idea during the writing of Rogue One to have both Cassian and Jyn survive by being frozen in carbonite and crashing into Coruscant with the goal that they could then be thawed out for more adventures after Return of the Jedi.

That's actually two different endings John Knoll was thinking about when initially pitching the movie.

One with Coruscant:

John Knoll posted:

Jyn and Cassian lead a team that steals the Death Star plans, and escape Scarif on a Rebel ship. In hot pursuit is Darth Vader, whose ship keeps attacking them even after multiple jumps to lightspeed. Soon, they’ve taken so much damage, they realize they aren’t going to make it.

“And the last jump they do, they try to get lost in the traffic that’s around Coruscant,” Knoll said. “It’s a giant cloud of ships. Ten-thousand ships coming and going and they’re trying to get lost in that traffic but they don’t make it. There’s still an hour’s flight away from Coruscant and their ship gets damaged.”

Jyn and Cassian realize if they don’t get the plans off the ship, the whole mission has failed. “So they discover that Leia’s ship has just taken off from Coruscant and is on its way to its diplomatic mission to Alderaan,” Knoll said. “They know that she’s secretly working for the Rebellion and they risk blowing her cover by transmitting the plans to her ship with the hope that this transmission won’t be detected but Vader’s ship.”

Obviously, it is detected, but Jyn and Cassian realize that whether Vader catches Leia’s ship or not, they will inevitably be tortured for information by the Empire and could reveal the Rebellion’s secrets, potentially leading to its destruction. So the two Rebels decide to blow up their ship with them on it.

And one with Carbonite:

John Knoll posted:

Then I had a version of it where the Cassian character, originally, was a double agent. He was a spy planted by the Empire into the Rebellion. And over the course of the mission he becomes aware that the Death Star actually is a real thing and it’s not just propaganda. The Empire really built it, intends to use it and its only purpose is a genocide weapon. He realizes a lot of what he’s been told is a lie and that he’s been on the wrong side. So he switches sides to the Rebellion and he realizes he can let everyone live.

They’ve got a carbon freeze bomb on the ship and the idea is that he forces everyone into the airlock. “I’m going to set this off and you’re all going to survive.” He sort of times it with one of the hits from Vader’s ship so he blows up the ship and sets off this carbon freeze bomb and everyone is frozen. Then on Vader’s ship they detect no life signs and they think everyone’s dead. And they’re like, “Where’s that ship the plans were transmitted too?” and they go. So I was going to leave our heroes out of the picture. It’s why they don’t show up in Empire or Jedi — they’re stuck in carbon freeze.

Of course, John Knoll's a VFX guy and not a writer, so when Lucasfilm hired Gary Whitta to turn the pitch into an actual movie, they went with a different, but still happier, ending:

Gary Whitta posted:

After Jyn and Cassian stole the plans, they ran across the beach (a shot seen in early preview footage) and a Rebel ship dropped down to pick them up. Once in space, Leia’s ship met up with Jyn and Cassian’s, but with Darth Vader’s Star Destroyer in pursuit. They transferred the data to Leia’s ship just as their ship was destroyed. However, as the first shot of A New Hope happened in the back of the frame, a small escape pod ejected from the destroyed wreckage, indicating Jyn and Cassian had survived.

But they decided that if saving the characters was going to be this convoluted and require so many hoops to jump through, it's probably best for the story if they don't survive.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Ah, I had forgotten that was two different ideas. Reading the details of them, interesting that the first one includes both a bit from Shadows of the Empire (Vader vs. enemy in the traffic above Coruscant) and The Last Jedi (the multiple lightspeed jump tracking).

I remember another idea that they had for Rogue One early in development was that Darth Vader was going to only be a rumor to the galaxy, and there would be a scene with some Rebels sitting around a fire talking about whether or not he was real, only for Vader to then show up and kill them.

Another idea early on was that Jyn's mother was going to be a Jedi Knight who escaped Order 66, which is why Jyn has the kyber necklace (it came from her mother's lightsaber).

I'd highly recommend the Art of Rogue One book for those who want to get into just how many ideas were discussed in the making of the movie.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
After all of the discussion about the plans for TRoS being better than what we got, it's weird to be reading these thinking "they made the right call". Rogue One really is the best of the new films.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I guess I got tripped up by internet speculation--I retract my certainty about timeline placement

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

I guess I got tripped up by internet speculation--I retract my certainty about timeline placement

No joke, legit, thank you for admitting you may have been wrong. It happens so rarely these days. With everyone.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 9, 2021

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Chairman Capone posted:

I'd highly recommend the Art of Rogue One book for those who want to get into just how many ideas were discussed in the making of the movie.

I really like all of the Art Of books they've released for the new films, they're a really good look at what might have been. Plus the art is just great.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Robot Style posted:

That's actually two different endings John Knoll was thinking about when initially pitching the movie.

One with Coruscant:

And one with Carbonite:

Of course, John Knoll's a VFX guy and not a writer, so when Lucasfilm hired Gary Whitta to turn the pitch into an actual movie, they went with a different, but still happier, ending:

But they decided that if saving the characters was going to be this convoluted and require so many hoops to jump through, it's probably best for the story if they don't survive.

i dont actually hate that though. it explains why the rebels don't really have any capital ships to through against the death star plus them just escaping into the sunset kinda undercuts the "look how deeply hosed the rebellion is" theme.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

cptn_dr posted:

I really like all of the Art Of books they've released for the new films, they're a really good look at what might have been. Plus the art is just great.

Absolutely. TROS is by far the weakest of the Art books, but not surprising there, and still enough good stuff to make it worthwhile.

The Solo one is kind of funny because there is no mention of any director at all in it, down to even the word "director" I think only being used once in the entire book, but at the same time the amount of stuff in it is great.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i dont actually hate that though. it explains why the rebels don't really have any capital ships to through against the death star plus them just escaping into the sunset kinda undercuts the "look how deeply hosed the rebellion is" theme.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but don't all the big rebel ships get destroyed at the end of Rogue One? If not in the battle itself, then when Vader's ship arrives at the end? For some reason, I always had that in mind.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Chairman Capone posted:

Maybe I'm misremembering, but don't all the big rebel ships get destroyed at the end of Rogue One? If not in the battle itself, then when Vader's ship arrives at the end? For some reason, I always had that in mind.

More or less. We see corvettes and transports escape while one of the Neb Bs is destroyed and the Mon Cal ship is disabled and boarded. The other Neb Bs are unaccounted for though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Nebulon B isn't exactly a "big" ship though. Really just the Profundity is at all bigger than a frigate, and that wasn't really a match for a single Star Destroyer unsupported.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

thrawn527 posted:

No joke, legit, thank you for admitting you may have been wrong. It happens so rarely these days. With everyone.

At this point I'm just trying to track down what gave me that certainty. I had similar incorrect feelings about High Republic being 400 years BBY

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A lot of early speculation about High Republic put it from "KotOR is canon now" to where it actually ended up being, via "Yoda as a padawan".

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

jivjov posted:

At this point I'm just trying to track down what gave me that certainty. I had similar incorrect feelings about High Republic being 400 years BBY

You and me both, I think people took the "new era" comment and ran with it as definitely meaning post-9 despite the vagueness.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

I know the Jenkins reveal trailer has an old school X-Wing as well, which would hint to some time around the OT as well. If they've even decided on a timeframe yet.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
She also had an OT-era helmet and I think flight suit as well, for whatever that might be worth.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

I know the Jenkins reveal trailer has an old school X-Wing as well, which would hint to some time around the OT as well. If they've even decided on a timeframe yet.

i assume its after yavin/before hoth type timeline.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

looking forward to the movie about my boy, corran horn

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

But who is both cool AND handsome enough to play him?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Well I guess Chris Evans is looking for work again

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Jazerus posted:

looking forward to the movie about my boy, corran horn

It’s gonna include him hooking up with a Selonian.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i assume its after yavin/before hoth type timeline.

Assume away. My point is that we have no idea. The teaser trailer implies OT timeline, but they may not have actually decided anything at that point, and were just throwing a bone to OT Rogue Squadron fans. I mean, maybe.

We really don’t know yet. Which is fun! Enjoy this period of uncertainty!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

Assume away. My point is that we have no idea. The teaser trailer implies OT timeline, but they may not have actually decided anything at that point, and were just throwing a bone to OT Rogue Squadron fans. I mean, maybe.

We really don’t know yet. Which is fun! Enjoy this period of uncertainty!

yeah. true.

I will say republic commando game still holds up on consoles.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The thing that's extremely clever about Republic Commando is that it's on paper just another narrow-corridor heavily scripted shooter, exactly like a zillion others from that time. But it lets the player cue all the scripted sequences. "Cover 62 while he blows up the droid dispenser" would be a boring set piece once, let alone repeated 150 times. But the choice to let the player tell 62 to blow up the droid dispenser makes it part of play and suddenly it goes from insufferable to really pretty fun. You can set up your guys where you like them and then tell 62 to do his thing, and maybe he'll fail and you'll have to go revive him, or try to do it yourself, or put a different squadmate on the job, or whatever. Just putting the scripted sequence in the gameplay where it can be touched by all the other gameplay systems does so much work.

There are a couple other neat things about that game too, like enemies which will actually advance all the way up to you (aside from the usual melee/suicide guys most shooter enemies just kind of flit around between cover and wait for you to make a move). And it has great audio. I really like that game.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Republic Commando soundtrack is great. It's also interesting that pretty much the only pre-existing piece of Star Wars music it uses is Palpatine's theme.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

General Battuta posted:

The thing that's extremely clever about Republic Commando is that it's on paper just another narrow-corridor heavily scripted shooter, exactly like a zillion others from that time. But it lets the player cue all the scripted sequences. "Cover 62 while he blows up the droid dispenser" would be a boring set piece once, let alone repeated 150 times. But the choice to let the player tell 62 to blow up the droid dispenser makes it part of play and suddenly it goes from insufferable to really pretty fun. You can set up your guys where you like them and then tell 62 to do his thing, and maybe he'll fail and you'll have to go revive him, or try to do it yourself, or put a different squadmate on the job, or whatever. Just putting the scripted sequence in the gameplay where it can be touched by all the other gameplay systems does so much work.

There are a couple other neat things about that game too, like enemies which will actually advance all the way up to you (aside from the usual melee/suicide guys most shooter enemies just kind of flit around between cover and wait for you to make a move). And it has great audio. I really like that game.

i love it for the same reasons, but i do hate the super battle droids. they are a bitch to kill even if you do the grenade then shoot thing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Chairman Capone posted:

The Republic Commando soundtrack is great. It's also interesting that pretty much the only pre-existing piece of Star Wars music it uses is Palpatine's theme.

Nah, it uses a lot of prequel music, especially Escape from Naboo that gets an awesome remix with Vode An.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

It was the only game I ever managed to get my parents' surround sound to work with, and that was a phenomenal experience. One of those teenage gaming highlights that nothing else will ever live up to the memory of.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i love it for the same reasons, but i do hate the super battle droids. they are a bitch to kill even if you do the grenade then shoot thing.

They are difficult but I think very necessary to to the gameplay. If you can revive/be revived by your squad mates then the only way to create actual difficulty is enemies who will push you constantly and kill you when you try to revive. Their slow walk advance puts a timer on the encounter.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

cptn_dr posted:

It was the only game I ever managed to get my parents' surround sound to work with, and that was a phenomenal experience. One of those teenage gaming highlights that nothing else will ever live up to the memory of.

yeah, that and jedi outcas/accdemy were awsome.

i think the biggest issue i have is how weak the weapons are. like the main rifle does jack poo poo alot. the attachments do more but they are just limited use basicaly. outside the "shotgun" and the bowcaster" they kinda suck. i love the game but its a game of its time.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

The damage tuning is definitely a way to slow the combat down so the squad tactics stuff matters more. If the player could easily kill stuff you wouldn’t need sniper/grenade/demo orders. Also enemy damage output would have to go up too and then your squad mates would die more and people would hate them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sniper, Anti Armor, and Droid Poppers take care of B2s pretty easily. The ion grenade debuff to B2s makes your regular D17 SMG pretty effective against them especially if you use squad focus fire.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I've read the first ten chapters of Light of the Jedi. Mostly character introductions as the event unfolds, but the more optimistic tone is a refreshing departure from the final old EU books I read which were the Dark Nest trilogy and Betrayal. I stopped reading Star Wars books after those and from what I read online then and here dodged the nadir of Star Wars literature.

Light of the Jedi is also a much easier read than Aftermath. Which I didn't get very far into. The writing style there was just. Don't know the right word. It was difficult.

Edit: Little strange to see the Jedi called "space wizards" in an actual Star Wars novel.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 12, 2021

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

OhFunny posted:

Light of the Jedi is also a much easier read than Aftermath. Which I didn't get very far into. The writing style there was just. Don't know the right word. It was difficult.

terrible
ghastly
horrible
agonizing
excruciating
disgraceful
herky-jerky

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
StarWars.com released info on their next big batch of High Republic releases coming this summer. All of these were known, but we got summaries now:

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-high-republic-next-wave

Seems that the next big plot arc will be centered around a galactic fair.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I like the idea of the annual galactic seed bank conference. That's the kind of regular Joe type of view of the Star Wars galaxy I wish we got more of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My only real complaint about the High Republic so far is how thickly they lay on “We are all the Republic”. This is the least screwed up the galaxy has ever been in a story, at least on the surface, but they overdid it a bit knocking the point home.