Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

etalian posted:

It's just the Advanced Police AI kicking in...

Just when the NYPD shoots a random immigrant in NYC 300 times...

For comparison in Germany for their Police Department I think there were a 165 bullets fired in a entire year.

Honestly the least plausible part of that scene is that it was a white guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Android Apocalypse posted:

I like to think CineD is all "No you see, the alien is asexual and implying there's rape allusions is just projecting. :goonsay:"

It’s definitely this, with additional commentary from SMG about how the whole movie is an analogy for the struggle of the proletariat against the predatory rapaciousness of the corporate future.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Of all the things SMG to shitpost on, they're kind of right about the theme of corporations being evil and :capitalism:.

Something something broken clock something.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

my god it's full of prometheus defenders

What’s wrong with Prometheus? :crossarms:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Of all the things SMG to shitpost on, they're kind of right about the theme of corporations being evil and :capitalism:.

Something something broken clock something.

Yeah but that’s like Themes 101 when it comes to the Alien movies, that was flat out text from the first movie, nevermind subtext.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Aliens is about capitalism putting it's workers at risk for even the slightest increase and profits and about sex.

In short, it's about capitalism loving you over.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

You don’t see them loving each other over for a goddamn percentage.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tell that to the front line xenos soaking up the sentry gun bullets

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mister Speaker posted:

my god it's full of prometheus defenders

The horror. The horror.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Torquemada posted:

It’s definitely this, with additional commentary from SMG about how the whole movie is an analogy for the struggle of the proletariat against the predatory rapaciousness of the corporate future.

SMG think Aliens is too pro-capitalist and doesn't think Ripley does enough to try to communicate with the aliens so they can team up to fight the company.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

SMG think Aliens is too pro-capitalist and doesn't think Ripley does enough to try to communicate with the aliens so they can team up to fight the company.

On the contrary, SMG genuinely believes that Ripley is pro-Company.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ruddiger posted:

I wonder if you could create what happened in the corridor with the sentry guns.
Like would you have a build up of bodies, allowing them to slowly creep over their downed brethren.
Or would the acid blood be so quick creating the massive hole that the aliens just dodge weave up and down getting closer and closer.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
In 2179, LV-426 seemed like
Just another foreign war
But it wasn't, it was
Different in many ways

As so were those
Who did the fighting
In the Nostromo
The average age of the
Combat drone was twenty-six hours

In LV-426, he was nineteen
N-n-n-n-nineteen

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Xenomrph posted:

On the contrary, SMG genuinely believes that Ripley is pro-Company.

Holy poo poo.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Of all the things SMG to shitpost on, they're kind of right about the theme of corporations being evil.

Wow. How loving original.

I haven't read a SMG post in 5 years (yay ignore button) but Jesus Christ this hardly qualifies as insight. What, are corporations greedy and place their bottom line above human life or something? Do they value profit above all else and sometimes try to weaponize things and sell stuff to the military even if it puts ordinary working people in danger?

Do tell. Might make for some fascinating subtext.

Next you'll be telling me the mayor in JAWS placed profit above the safety of his town's residents.

I might have to think on this.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
But like Xenomrph said, it's not even subtext in the Alien films, it's loving text. Aliens is one of the most famous "slimeball corporation fucks everyone over" movies in all of modern sci-fi.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

happyhippy posted:

I wonder if you could create what happened in the corridor with the sentry guns.
Like would you have a build up of bodies, allowing them to slowly creep over their downed brethren.
Or would the acid blood be so quick creating the massive hole that the aliens just dodge weave up and down getting closer and closer.

That last idea sounds cool as hell and people need to play in the "acid blood" idea pool more.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

BiggerBoat posted:

I haven't read a SMG post in 5 years (yay ignore button) but Jesus Christ this hardly qualifies as insight. What, are corporations greedy and place their bottom line above human life or something? Do they value profit above all else and sometimes try to weaponize things and sell stuff to the military even if it puts ordinary working people in danger?

Next you'll be telling me the mayor in JAWS placed profit above the safety of his town's residents.

The aliens are communists.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
The one with the acid spits! One out of two gets acid. The one without follows him! When the one with the acid gets killed, the one who is following picks up the acid and spits!

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Xenomrph posted:

You don’t see them loving each other over for a goddamn percentage.

My issue with how the aliens escape in Resurrection is that it kind of undermines this. I'd have liked it better if the one xeno willingly offered himself to be gutted.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

My issue with how the aliens escape in Resurrection is that it kind of undermines this. I'd have liked it better if the one xeno willingly offered himself to be gutted.

The novelization of the movie shows that scene go down from the POV of the Aliens, and it kinda sorta goes down like that. The murdered Alien recognizes that its death is for the good of the whole and accepts its fate.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Torquemada posted:

with additional commentary from SMG about how the whole movie is an analogy for the struggle of the proletariat against the predatory rapaciousness of the corporate future.

I don’t know I’d you were joking or if you’ve seen it, but that has literally played out several times for years now

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Vagabundo posted:

In 2179, LV-426 seemed like
Just another foreign war
But it wasn't, it was
Different in many ways

As so were those
Who did the fighting
In the Nostromo
The average age of the
Combat drone was twenty-six hours

N-n-n-n-nineteen

:bravo:

Oh that';s good, take a bow.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
what if james cameron read an smg post and decided he was being too subtle and thats why the corporation actively blows up the life tree with thousands and thousands of missiles in avatar while giovanni ribisi smirks smugly

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

BiggerBoat posted:

Don't mock.

We are still witnessing 500 million people screaming about the economy during a global pandemic because companies told or paid them to.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ruddiger posted:

They were just trying to unionize. :(

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Pennywise the Frown posted:

They were just trying to unionize. :(

I’m just picturing the hopping xenos from the arcade game with little picket signs on their shoulders as Ellen “Pinkerton” Ripley mows them down.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Finnish store I sometimes buy stuff from is clearly thinking about something

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://mobile.twitter.com/elle_hunt/status/1379343097251962884

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

The aliens are communists.

Personally I love that Aliens is just James Cameron's gleeful retelling of how communists hosed our poo poo up in Vietnam

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lmao that’s one hell of a dumb take :raise:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

edit: lol look at the ratio on that post.

https://twitter.com/obvsly_salmon/status/1379773203447418884

:hmmyes:

https://twitter.com/Bahamutifa/status/1379459512004968449

lol she's getting murdered in the comments.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 8, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
She shifted the goalposts at some point to "OK but if you had to pick ONE would it be horror or scifi" which is just lol

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Her justification is so dumb lmao. I ran across that post in the wild two days ago and this was the one that got me

https://twitter.com/elle_hunt/status/1379343795968479236

Like, that's why the movie doesn't take place in just a big empty void, lady

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Wow. This lady seems really dumb.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Beet Wagon posted:

Her justification is so dumb lmao. I ran across that post in the wild two days ago and this was the one that got me

https://twitter.com/elle_hunt/status/1379343795968479236

Like, that's why the movie doesn't take place in just a big empty void, lady

If you want horror in a big empty void then she’s still wrong because ‘Gravity’ has some pretty goddamn scary scenarios for multiple reasons and it is literally set in the void of space.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I wouldn't call Gravity a horror in the least sense of the word. It's an excellent movie, but it's a thriller. I guess you could argue what those terms mean, but I absolutely wouldn't consider them the same. Horrifying instances for a character doesn't make a horror movie.

I just don't agree with that comparison. I mean, she's a moron, that is painfully clear. But using Gravity as an example of possible horror in context of what she was talking about, I don't understand.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 9, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I wouldn't call Gravity a horror in the least sense of the word. It's an excellent movie, but it's a thriller. I guess you could argue what those terms mean, but I absolutely wouldn't consider them the same. Horrifying instances for a character doesn't make a horror movie.

I do agree, although there are real scary existential implications that the movie doesn’t touch on. :v:
It’s one of those movies that isn’t scary on its surface, but gets horrifying if you start thinking about its implications, like Avengers Endgame and everyone returning from “the snap”.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Sorry I edited my post a few times. I can normally pull that off before people reply. :)

But scary doesn't mean horror. Saving Private Ryan isn't a horror movie, but I can't think of much more horror than someone going through that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Two thoughts:

By her rubric, Dracula is ceases to be horror if you're unfamiliar with victorian europe.

Alien creates a VERY familiar bond with the crew of blue collar cargo haulers before introducing the horror element. It would take the most trivial of rewrites to make it the story of a ship full of wish.com dildos stopping at an uncharted island in the pacific.