Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

So thanks to Covid, I started watching a bunch of animes and some of that stuff's fun. So far I've enjoyed

- Attack On Titans
- Sword Art Online
- Full Metal Alchimist
- 7 Deadly Sins
- Code Geass
- Death Note
- Re:Zero

Again, I'm pretty new to all this so do you guys have any recommendations? Not sure where to go from there. Is there even a common thread genre I should look for when trying to find one?

Cheers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Gros Tarla posted:

So thanks to Covid, I started watching a bunch of animes and some of that stuff's fun. So far I've enjoyed

- Attack On Titans
- Sword Art Online
- Full Metal Alchimist
- 7 Deadly Sins
- Code Geass
- Death Note

Again, I'm pretty new to all this so do you guys have any recommendations? Not sure where to go from there. Is there even a common thread genre I should look for when trying to find one?

Cheers!

Looks like a lot of seinen sci-fi/fantasy? Hard to recommend things without knowing what in particular you liked about them since that's a bit of a broad genre, but Cowboy Bebop, TTGL, and Dorohedoro fit with the rest to me.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
check out Shin Sekai Yori / From the New World

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

AnoHito posted:

Looks like a lot of seinen sci-fi/fantasy? Hard to recommend things without knowing what in particular you liked about them since that's a bit of a broad genre, but Cowboy Bebop, TTGL, and Dorohedoro fit with the rest to me.

I'm not sure really, I'd say interesting storytelling, politics, adventure, character development, intrigue/weird poo poo.

I don't particularly care about fighting, although I don't mind it. I know many animes are centered around that and they don't draw me in particularly. Same for robots and stuff, don't mind them but not a particular draw if it's all about that.

But I'm grateful you helped me put a name to it, "seinen". Googled it and a bunch of interesting stuff came up so looks like you may be right on the money. I'll look at your recos!

Thanks a bunch. :)

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

check out Shin Sekai Yori / From the New World

Will do! Thanks!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gros Tarla posted:

interesting storytelling, politics, adventure, character development, intrigue/weird poo poo.

check out In/Spectre

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Gros Tarla posted:

I'm not sure really, I'd say interesting storytelling, politics, adventure, character development, intrigue/weird poo poo.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

AnoHito posted:

Bro, let's go through the manga adaptations.

Attack on Titan; published in Bessatsu Shōnen Magazine
Fullmetal Alchemist; published in Monthly Shōnen Gangan
The Seven Deadly Sins; published in Weekly Shōnen Magazine
Death Note; published in motherfucking Weekly Shōnen Jump

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

seinen, hard shonen

tomato tomato

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gros Tarla posted:

- Attack On Titans
- Sword Art Online
- Full Metal Alchimist
- 7 Deadly Sins
- Code Geass
- Death Note

Cheers!

Read watamote

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm sorry I've been informed you mightve been asking for exclusively anime in which case watch Scryed, the dub specifically

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Gros Tarla posted:

- Attack On Titans
- Sword Art Online
- Full Metal Alchimist
- 7 Deadly Sins
- Code Geass
- Death Note

Cheers!

Trigun

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gros Tarla posted:

- Attack On Titans
- Sword Art Online
- Full Metal Alchimist
- 7 Deadly Sins
- Code Geass
- Death Note

Cheers!

My Hero Acedemia would seem to be a safe bet.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

kirtar posted:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Captain Baal posted:

Read watamote

Hunt11 posted:

My Hero Acedemia would seem to be a safe bet.

You all rule, thanks!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Dorohedoro is very good and roughly in line with your list, especially if you're looking for weird poo poo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gros Tarla posted:

- Attack On Titans
- Sword Art Online
- Full Metal Alchimist
- 7 Deadly Sins
- Code Geass
- Death Note

Cheers!
sword art online gun gale alternative is a spinoff of sao set in the gun gale game from the main series. none of the cast from sao appear but it's a fun mmo action thing, though the first ep has kind of an overly long infodump. great action scenes tho, and the leads are all likable

demon slayer/kimetsu no yaiba is the big shonen thing of the moment, if you liked aot and fma you'll definitely like it, gorgeous animation

if you liked code geass check out gundam: ironblooded orphans maybe? did you like the giant robots in geass specifically or were they just a thing in the show

hunter x hunter is another big action adventure thing you havent hit, tho its like 100+ episodes

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Gros Tarla posted:

- Attack On Titans
- Sword Art Online
- Full Metal Alchimist
- 7 Deadly Sins
- Code Geass
- Death Note

Cheers!

If manga is an option, try Delicious in Dungeon. A gorgeous fantasy world following adventurers in a massive underground dungeon who cook and eat the monsters they fight complete with real world style cooking recipes for fictional critters. It's an incredibly in depth, robust world surrounding the main crew, the action is fantastic, the comedy is on point, and the interpretations of fantasy creatures in a "realistic" manner(I love how mimics and living armor work in DinD) are wonderful.

I really hope it gets an astronomical budget when an anime adaptation is eventually made, there was an animated short to advertise a new volume of the manga and it's super good but only makes the lack of an anime version that much more painful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlB-_rgSLBI&hd=1

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I think you should watch K-ON!, then K-ON!!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Gros Tarla posted:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex should be right up your alley.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Food Wars is one I watched recently and enjoyed. I'd describe it as My Hero Academia crossed with Iron Chef? Pretty light and fun.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm watching Inuyashiki The Last Hero and holy gently caress. This is a hell of a show so far goddamn. If you like Gantz, I would recommend this one.

EDIT: Haha I just realized it's the same author.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Nipponophile posted:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex should be right up your alley.

What's the general opinion on Ghost in the Shell? I haven't seen any of it, but I noticed this morning that MUBI currently has the 1995 film on it. I looked around on my other streaming services and found that Stand Alone Complex and 2nd Gig are on Hulu while Stand Alone Complex 2045 is on Netflix.

So, looking at Wikipedia, it looks like I currently have access to all of the franchise except the second-to-last show (Arise) and the four movies after the original. I don't know if it's all considered good or if some stuff is just a remake of other stuff or some things are considered non-canon trash or whatever, though; I'd love to get a bit of guidance on how to tackle this franchise. Thanks!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Movie 1 and 2: great
Movie 1 remake: dont bother
Gits sac 1: pretty good
Gits sac 2nd gig: ok
Gits sac 2nd gig movie: decent
Arise: bad
2045: netflix full cgi lol
Real drive: unknown but better then half the series

the series are all different continuities. so watch in whatever order you want as long as you go through a sub franchise in order. so movie 1 > 2, or gits sac 1 > 2 > sac movie etc

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
2045 is SAC continuity and gets legit good past the USA arc.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Davincie posted:

Movie 1 and 2: great
Movie 1 remake: dont bother
Gits sac 1: pretty good
Gits sac 2nd gig: ok
Gits sac 2nd gig movie: decent
Arise: bad
2045: netflix full cgi lol
Real drive: unknown but better then half the series

the series are all different continuities. so watch in whatever order you want as long as you go through a sub franchise in order. so movie 1 > 2, or gits sac 1 > 2 > sac movie etc

This is super helpful, thank you. Just making sure I understand a few things:

Movie 1 = Ghost in the Shell (1995)
Movie 1 remake: Ghost in the Shell 2.0 (2008)
Movie 2 = Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
GITS SAC 2nd Gig Movie = Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Solid State Society

Is that right? It looks like I can rent both Innocence and Solid State Society off Amazon pretty cheap.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

2045 is SAC continuity and gets legit good past the USA arc.

Is this the ordering of SAC continuity?

SAC --> 2nd Gig --> Solid State Society --> 2045

Also, am I right to think that there are basically three continuities? 1995 + Innocence is one, SAC is another, and Arise + The New Movie is the third (and considered not worthwhile)?

surf rock fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 27, 2021

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

surf rock posted:

This is super helpful, thank you. Just making sure I understand a few things:

Movie 1 = Ghost in the Shell (1995)
Movie 1 remake: Ghost in the Shell 2.0 (2008)
Movie 2 = Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
GITS SAC 2nd Gig Movie = Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Solid State Society

Is that right? It looks like I can rent both Innocence and Solid State Society off Amazon pretty cheap.

Is this the ordering of SAC continuity?

SAC --> 2nd Gig --> Solid State Society --> 2045

Also, am I right to think that there are basically three continuities? 1995 + Innocence is one, SAC is another, and Arise + The New Movie is the third (and considered not worthwhile)?

Correct on your first and second question.
continuity wise there is also a manga continuity, comedy spinoffs and of course the live action movie

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Davincie posted:

Correct on your first and second question.
continuity wise there is also a manga continuity, comedy spinoffs and of course the live action movie

Nobody needs to be reminded of the live-action movie :barf:.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The first bit of 2045 is rough but it goes back to feeling like SAC when the episodes focus on Japan again. I'd probably wait until the second season comes out before watching it though because the way it ends definitely makes it feel like a 24 episode series where they only released the first half.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

surf rock posted:

What's the general opinion on Ghost in the Shell? I haven't seen any of it, but I noticed this morning that MUBI currently has the 1995 film on it. I looked around on my other streaming services and found that Stand Alone Complex and 2nd Gig are on Hulu while Stand Alone Complex 2045 is on Netflix.

So, looking at Wikipedia, it looks like I currently have access to all of the franchise except the second-to-last show (Arise) and the four movies after the original. I don't know if it's all considered good or if some stuff is just a remake of other stuff or some things are considered non-canon trash or whatever, though; I'd love to get a bit of guidance on how to tackle this franchise. Thanks!

you should absolutely give Stand Alone Complex a watch. not only is the show gorgeously animated(outside of some of the CGI), but the stories are mostly phenomenal. Usually the ones marked Stand Alone(meaning, obviously, self-contained and not part of the series-long storyline) are the better ones, but the overarching story isn't terrible.

2nd Gig has some problems but it's also generally a fantastic show and a worthy second season. The dubs for both seasons are top notch, as well.

The original movie, well, it's pretty iconic, so definitely give that a watch too.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

OK, I watched the original and Innocence. I thought the original was the stronger film; Innocence felt like a very self-conscious attempt to go deeper into the original's themes, but I didn't feel it worked that well. I still enjoyed it, overall.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Despite being in a different continuity, innocence hits better after seeing Gits sac or reading the original manga, since the first movie focuses so much on the major and you have no background on most of the other section characters.

I really disliked it when it first came out and liked it a lot more after coming back to it a few years later.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I heard so much about Innocence being awful when it first came out but I watched it for the first time recently after seeing all the other GitS I could get my hands on and it didn't seem that bad at all. Watching all the other stuff first certainly helped temper my expectation, especially after seeing Arise.

I didn't think Arise was completely terrible like a lot of people do, but it's definitely the weakest continuity in the series.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Just wanted to come back and say thanks for all your recommendations (I'm a few posts up)

Had a blast with Gurren Lagann and right now enjoying the hell out of Demon Slayer.

You guys/gals rule!

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Gros Tarla posted:

Just wanted to come back and say thanks for all your recommendations (I'm a few posts up)

Had a blast with Gurren Lagann and right now enjoying the hell out of Demon Slayer.

You guys/gals rule!

When you get a chance, check out Redline and Hells Angel both by Studio Madhouse.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Gros Tarla posted:

You guys/gals rule!
might want to check out Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, made by a bunch of the folks who worked on Gurren Lagann. Dub or sub are both fantastic. It's basically them looking at Dexter's Lab/Powerpuff Girls-era cartoons and making an extraordinarily raunchy show in that style, it's genuinely pretty funny, there's some incredible fights in it, and it basically never takes itself even remotely seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXvppV7HccI&hd=1

the music is aces, too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is After the Rain worth looking at? It's wildly off from my usual watch of robots and thriller shows but the premise intrigues me.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
it's good

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's a decent drama with nice visual direction

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is After the Rain worth looking at? It's wildly off from my usual watch of robots and thriller shows but the premise intrigues me.

Its one of the shows I picked up last year as I got more interested in more grounded premises with awkward characters and situations and I loved it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
any recommendations for stuff thats a single season of 13/26 length available on netflix or crunchyroll. first time i asked i got recommended acca 13 which I really liked. I'm in the middle of season 2 of b the beginning and just after something to watch around that really. Ideally nothing based on a manga

vaguely related i remember watching texhnolyze years ago and not finishing it and just wondering if its actually any good

what are the crunchyroll originals like that aren't based on korean webtoons?

Jose fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

have you seen ssss.gridman