Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Gripweed posted:

I know I'm late about this but I just found out that Criterion finally released a box set of Wong Kar-Wai's movies but Kar-Wai made them change all the movies to look worse as a joke. That is the funniest goddamn thing.

What the details of this? It sound hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think "as a joke" is a wry exaggeration, unless I missed something significant in the story. Wong's rationale was "an artist can never step in the same river twice." Essentially that he wasn't interested in preserving his vision of the time, but instead used the restoration as an opportunity to reflect who he is as an artist now.

I can understand feeling that way, but it's a pretty poo poo way to look at art.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's big "we're only going to play songs from our new albums no one likes instead of the ones you're here to listen to" energy.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
We just closed the financing on a film I have been exec-producing for the past 18 months. It's shooting in Ireland now. Look out for it in about 18 months onwards - it should be fantastic: God's Creatures. It's directed by Anna Rose Holmer and Saela Davis, who did a film called The Fits a few years ago. It has the potential to be something special.

I am now drafting my contract (yes, it should have been done ages ago but I operate on a high-trust basis with producers I work with), and am using the following:

quote:

The Company wishes to engage the Lender to make available to the Company the services of Richard Mansell as an executive producer (the "Executive Producer” or "Mad Dog") of the feature film project which the Company intends but does not undertake to produce provisionally entitled "GOD’S CREATURES" (the "Film")

5.1 The Executive Producer shall be entitled to an executive producer credit in the main titles of the Film on a card shared with other executive producers in a precise position at Company’s discretion, in the form “Executive Producer Richard Mansell” or “Executive Producer Richard “Mad Dog” Mansell” (at Company’s election).

I have used "Executive Producer" and "Mad Dog" as defined terms interchangeably throughout the contract.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

I think "as a joke" is a wry exaggeration, unless I missed something significant in the story. Wong's rationale was "an artist can never step in the same river twice." Essentially that he wasn't interested in preserving his vision of the time, but instead used the restoration as an opportunity to reflect who he is as an artist now.

I can understand feeling that way, but it's a pretty poo poo way to look at art.

lol

https://twitter.com/TheGoldenRock/status/1373328012330950662?s=20

His entire career is films about people who suffer and languish because they can't move on from their past.

Also it's not just preserving his vision of time, it's also history. Wong lost footage of Happy Together and decided not to to reconstruct the missing footage from other sources because it would look off. Seminal HK New Wave film Dangerous Encounters of the First Kind exists with a third of it looking like a VHS rip from the bottom of the sea, but Wong Kar Wai could not handle 2 minutes looking off.

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
I haven't really been following but what, is the consensus that the restorations look poo poo?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

That's big "we're only going to play songs from our new albums no one likes instead of the ones you're here to listen to" energy.

I saw The Offspring in 2006ish, a year or two after they releaseda new album no one liked, and they played some old staples and then said "do you wanna hear more old poo poo or do you wanna hear some new poo poo." The entire audience, in unison, yelled back "old poo poo" and the basically played the entirety of Smash and Splinter. Pretty great show.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I suppose it's a cautionary tale about having a director directly supervise a restoration. Because once you open that door it's hard to close it again, you can't exactly go to Wong Kar-Wai and say "uhh sir, thank you so much for agreeing to work with us on this restoration but we decided your ideas are bad so we're gonna not use them". You're kinda stuck doing whatever the director wants at that point.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I wonder how many times someone at Criterion gently suggested to him that they also include the original version alongside the restored version.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Skwirl posted:

I saw The Offspring in 2006ish, a year or two after they releaseda new album no one liked, and they played some old staples and then said "do you wanna hear more old poo poo or do you wanna hear some new poo poo." The entire audience, in unison, yelled back "old poo poo" and the basically played the entirety of Smash and Splinter. Pretty great show.

That rules. Tho I dunno if splinter would be considered old poo poo by 2006.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
I do think it’s interesting to see what directors change and tweak given the chance, but it should 100% always be packaged with the original cut.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

banned from Starbucks posted:

That rules. Tho I dunno if splinter would be considered old poo poo by 2006.

Compared to their terrible at the time most recent album it was.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Skwirl posted:

I wouldn't be shocked if they knew everyone would say "old poo poo" and just planned on playing that anyway. I saw Harvey Danger on their final tour and they went the whole show without playing Flagpole Sitta, then during the encore they asked if anyone had any requests.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Melt all the peeps in an ice cream container and make the Gigapeep

therattle posted:

We just closed the financing on a film I have been exec-producing for the past 18 months. It's shooting in Ireland now. Look out for it in about 18 months onwards - it should be fantastic: God's Creatures. It's directed by Anna Rose Holmer and Saela Davis, who did a film called The Fits a few years ago. It has the potential to be something special.

I am now drafting my contract (yes, it should have been done ages ago but I operate on a high-trust basis with producers I work with), and am using the following:

I have used "Executive Producer" and "Mad Dog" as defined terms interchangeably throughout the contract.

You got to pick a thing to be listed as your nick name and you didn't go with "Dick Man". It's right there, come on!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

How much has the EU hosed up with vaccinations when Britain, the rectum of the universe, will achieve herd immunity next Monday months before the continent?

Also Britain Part II AKA America is miles ahead on vaccinations. Despite being a notorious gently caress up on healthcare in general. It's really impressive how badly the EU handled it. Iceland is in the EFTA which is basically all the obligations of being in the EU with none of the power and a handful of the benefits. My ma who is 67, diabetic, with lung problems, and is a teacher just got her first vaccination yesterday after months of waiting.

Hey at least thanks to neo-colonialism the Third World probably won't be vaccinated until 2023 at the earliest.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 8, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

I wouldn't be shocked if they knew everyone would say "old poo poo" and just planned on playing that anyway. I saw Harvey Danger on their final tour and they went the whole show without playing Flagpole Sitta, then during the encore they asked if anyone had any requests.

I'm sure they knew what was gonna happen. This was on Warped Tour so they'd probably done the exact same thing a half dozen times or so in the previous couple of months.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In 2005 the biggest hand in Iceland was Jeff Who thanks to their indie rock party anthem Barfly. None of their other songs charted at all but they'd purposefully always play Barfly last during every set knowing that it what the entire audience was waiting for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5A8XOOEtXg

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 8, 2021

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

How much has the EU hosed up with vaccinations when Britain, the rectum of the universe, will achieve herd immunity next Monday months before the continent?

Also Britain Part II AKA America is miles ahead on vaccinations. Despite being a notorious gently caress up on healthcare in general. It's really impressive how badly the EU handled it. Iceland is in the EFTA which is basically all the obligations of being in the EU with none of the power and a handful of the benefits. My ma who is 67, diabetic, with lung problems, and is a teacher just got her first vaccination yesterday after months of waiting.

Hey at least thanks to neo-colonialism the Third World probably won't be vaccinated until 2023 at the earliest.

The EU is poo poo lol If you're one of the countries the EU turbofucked during the Eurocrisis then this is nothing new.

Brexiteers were right about it and that was something that the Remain crowd never managed to reckon with.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

America is way ahead on vaccinations because as lovely as we are about healthcare, the oligarchs that run the country want people healthy enough to go back to working way more than they need to. Also everyone else is doing badly on it partially because we bought as much as we could.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

america absolutely is not doing anything right, its just that once vaccinations started being mass produced it became a problem solvable by pissing away large amounts of money, the one thing the US government knows how to do.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

It's not that the US hoovered up the vaccines, but that the vaccine manufactures flat out lied about how many doses they could deliver, and are hiding behind IP to keep it scarce. The EU did contracts for what they believed would be enough doses to cover most the population of the Continent even before this Summer, but Moderna/Pfizer all went "dog ate my homework" even before a single dose had been delivered. This is in part why the EU is now constantly in fights with the UK and US, they want what was promised, but they getting gently caress all, cause turns out the EU is worth gently caress all.

If the EU job was the well being of it's citizens, it would've broken those contracts and joined India, China, South Africa and others, to have those vaccines patents free and just have the state members begin produce it.

But the well being of European citizens is not the EU job, the well being of European(French, Dutch, German) Capital is, so we can't have that. So here we are.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm going to necromance Jonas Salk along with history's greatest thieves, pirates and ne'er-do-wells—John Dillinger, Sir Francis Drake, Genghis Khan, etc.—to steal the COVID vaccine formula and publish it for free on the internet, while we murder anyone who has the balls to attempt to stop us. This summer, a force like no one's ever seen is prepared to vaccinate... and assassinate.

CORONA SQUAD, rated R for disembowelment of rich executives and salty language.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Klowner posted:

I'm going to necromance Jonas Salk along with history's greatest thieves, pirates and ne'er-do-wells—John Dillinger, Sir Francis Drake, Genghis Khan, etc.—to steal the COVID vaccine formula and publish it for free on the internet, while we murder anyone who has the balls to attempt to stop us. This summer, a force like no one's ever seen is prepared to vaccinate... and assassinate.

Sadly some nerds at Stanford beat you to it: https://gizmodo.com/stanford-scientists-post-entire-mrna-sequence-for-moder-1846576268

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Klowner posted:

Uhmm, it was already published.

E;fb

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress! poo poo!!! ugh hang on I need to call my producer.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

That's literally just the spike protein sequence, it's been published at the start of the pandemic. You still need someone to steal the actual technology to make the vaccine.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

married but discreet posted:

That's literally just the spike protein sequence, it's been published at the start of the pandemic. You still need someone to steal the actual technology to make the vaccine.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

married but discreet posted:

And you know, a science lab and whatever uhhh vaccines are made out of.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

CPL593H posted:

And you know, a science lab and whatever uhhh vaccines are made out of.

La Li Lu Le Lo nanomachines.

Son.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

america absolutely is not doing anything right, its just that once vaccinations started being mass produced it became a problem solvable by pissing away large amounts of money, the one thing the US government knows how to do.

News in Germany create the impression that distribution and administration of the vaccine is completely unbeaurocratic in the US. Like, there are drive through vaccinations and whatnot. At least one of the reasons Germany is doing so badly is that we absolutely have to make the whole process as red tapey as possible.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Grendels Dad posted:

News in Germany create the impression that distribution and administration of the vaccine is completely unbeaurocratic in the US. Like, there are drive through vaccinations and whatnot. At least one of the reasons Germany is doing so badly is that we absolutely have to make the whole process as red tapey as possible.
I can only talk about my personal experience, but it varies state by state. Where I'm at it involved signing up through a website, providing personal info, ID, etc. All this was double checked in person. My vaccination site happened to be a drive through, but that's not always the case. It was run out of a metro park-and-ride lot with multiple vaccination stations.

Just showing up out of the blue would've gotten me nothing. Some areas are wilder, I'm in a major city.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Fill tranq darts with the vaccine and shoot people with em

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Fill tranq darts with the vaccine and shoot people with em

Every weapon in the Predators' arsenal, but the tips are laced with vaccine.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Grendels Dad posted:

Every weapon in the Predators' arsenal, but the tips are laced with vaccine.

If this could have been solved by shooting people the US would have been fine a long time ago.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Safety Factor posted:

I can only talk about my personal experience, but it varies state by state. Where I'm at it involved signing up through a website, providing personal info, ID, etc. All this was double checked in person. My vaccination site happened to be a drive through, but that's not always the case. It was run out of a metro park-and-ride lot with multiple vaccination stations.

Just showing up out of the blue would've gotten me nothing. Some areas are wilder, I'm in a major city.

In my state I just checked the website for my local doctor's office and they had an appointment open so I booked the appointment and went in and said I had an appointment and then they gave me the shot.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

https://twitter.com/jtrpgh/status/1380175245315870723

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
watching belly right now

rip dmx

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

watching tales from the crypt right now

rip prince philip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Watching Jackass 3D right now.

Rip Taylor.