Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Radio Nowhere posted:

I have that book on my wish list, any good?

I have it. It is. I have yet to make any recipes out of it, but it's a nice book to have on the shelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

my only experience with it has been with 'chovies and olives as the basis of the 'salty, meaty components' (essentially), adding sardines seems heretical to me but not outside the realm of possibility.
I'd steer towards using a small amount of pan-fried pancetta, first and then adding extra capers and cheese myself, just because I think the 'dines are going to make it mooshy and weird. My opinion of it was always that it should be a salty, fish flavored sauce without being gunked up by what 'dines can do, but of course that's your preference and what you've got available and want.

It should be one of those cripplingly intense sauces that just coat the thick pasta and impart the flavor, without fish gloop getting in the way, just the sauce flavoring the pasta with the above, but again that's me. (this is not a condemnation of the 'dine. I love the 'dine)

Namaste.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 8, 2021

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I regularly add a can of decent tuna in olive oil to puttanesca if I've got it in the pantry and I don't see why the right can of dines wouldn't be even better. The wrong can, though...

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'd also recommend using Thai fish sauce as a bit of seasoning in it to really kick that poo poo up, but, again, just me.

if you watch the recipe I posted above and thought, "I could toss in a half tin of baby clams towards the end", I think...no one would blame you. Serve that with some rustic garlic bread and a good ceaser salad and some steamed broccolini? ... you gonna argue w/dat? however this isn't GWS. I'm just saying maybe no 'dines INSTEAD of chovies in your puttanesca is all

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 8, 2021

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i agree

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

poverty goat posted:

I regularly add a can of decent tuna in olive oil to puttanesca if I've got it in the pantry and I don't see why the right can of dines wouldn't be even better. The wrong can, though...

I use the boneless and skinless sardines for this. Basically when they're on a big sale. Its like oily tuna!

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Finally found some Red Boat fish sauce in a store. Gonna splash everything with it.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Look Sir Droids posted:

Finally found some Red Boat fish sauce in a store. Gonna splash everything with it.

This is quite literally the 'garum' that all the ancient roman recipes talk about

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

well, arguably.

+/- sugar and a little fermentation but it's as close as we know of, and it's essentially as common as 'pass me the salt' for almost 1000 years, so, enjoy.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Is Red Boat worth it? Mite try it next time I need fishy sauce. I guess I don't really use fish sauce is vast enough quantity for it to be expensive.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Red Boat is good, but IMO any bog-standard fish sauce will be fine if you're doing long cooking instead of adding it to the end.

Speaking of garum, I'm reminded of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S7Bb0Qg-oE

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Android Apocalypse posted:

Red Boat is good, but IMO any bog-standard fish sauce will be fine if you're doing long cooking instead of adding it to the end.

Speaking of garum, I'm reminded of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S7Bb0Qg-oE

That was fun. Considering making quick garum out of surf perch now. Hrm.

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/tXh_VT5ygOY

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

J.S. Townsend & Tasting History are pro-clicks.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

it's oscar o'clock

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

cmon son wheres your Dx4 rule??

Dads Dont Dirty Dishes

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

don't worry i'm using that plate tomorrow

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I'm not convinced that is a plate and not a terra cotta saucer such as is stuck underneath house plants

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Yeah, that's how I drain the oil out.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

listen up kids cause there's a new canned fish in town

was kinda spendy, but worth the experience. super buttery, more so than can be accounted for by its swimming in olive oil. not real fishy, not salty not smokey. mostly just buttery. meat was about midway between like, soul and tuna, mostly real light but with, like, a finish of density. that the can was exactly half a fish was also kinda cool. it's way down on the list of considerations for tinned fish, but the bream does have some aesthetic swagger to it

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Huh. SeaBream is considered one of the best fresh eating fishes in the Med. I’ve had it a few times fresh and it’s been excellent.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

now find us amberjack or buri in a can

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

didn't we have a canned buri thread controversy last year?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Did you guys know that there is a Portuguese fish tin museum?

https://conservasdeportugal.com/category/cans-embalagens/

Some cool lookin deen cans

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Corner store is out of sardines. Seem to have replaced them with these weird things

‘Dine sized tins of tuna with stuff like beans, onions, red peppers, “leafy greens”

I guess dump it on rice? Strangely curious to try one out even though I try not to eat canned tuna

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

one of each. the nicoise one on lettuce/greens, the thai one on rice and the aztec one on a tortilla

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Do not need to point the gun cos I am DOWN

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
Had some Seasons from Costco on toasted homemade baguette with homemade pickled onions. If only I could make the dines themselves, alas, I am landlocked :sigh:

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

Keith Atherton posted:

Corner store is out of sardines. Seem to have replaced them with these weird things

‘Dine sized tins of tuna with stuff like beans, onions, red peppers, “leafy greens”

I guess dump it on rice? Strangely curious to try one out even though I try not to eat canned tuna

They're good but too pricey. I like them as a hiking or camping snack though. The nicoise one is best imo.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

made some extremely delicious emergency dinner from a tin of Nuri dines in tomato sauce and ate it out of the pan in front of the stove

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
GOOD

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

poverty goat posted:

made some extremely delicious emergency dinner from a tin of Nuri dines in tomato sauce and ate it out of the pan in front of the stove

Speaking of Nuri, apparently summer asian grocery stores are able to sell them for less than other store's wholesale costs.

quote:

What I suspect is that they first found distribution in the USA through the Asian grocery channels, became a cult favorite, would like to be mainstream, attempted to set up distributors who could do that, saw little success, rebranded a couple of times/ways, changed angles without undoing anything that had been done, and is now a proper tangle of channels and policies that mostly don’t conflict but result in wildly inconsistent pricing structures.

That's from Rainbow Tomatoes. Y'all should definitely check out their sardine store: https://rainbowtomatoesgarden.com/index.php/product-category/conservas/

205 types of canned seafood from $4-$66.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

gonna get some nice rye, and pickled herring and make smørrebrød!!!!!!

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

we need our own importer what thread would i be most likely to find a portuguese goon in

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I just noticed that dog in the last picture and I hope he got a taste

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

what kind of bread goes best with dines?

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

if i was forced by jesus to choose ONE then crusty baguette

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Bullfrog posted:

what kind of bread goes best with dines?

The kind you have readily available.

I ran out of my homemade bread and had to use store-bought stuff like some goddamn plebian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

sourdough or rye