Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
yeah i got recommended it last time. I should have said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Jose posted:

any recommendations for stuff thats a single season of 13/26 length available on netflix or crunchyroll.

Do you enjoy character dramas that are clearly written to try and make the audience cry their drat eyes out? Because Violet Evergarden is on Netflix. It's possibly the most beautifully animated thing that Kyoto Animation has ever made, which is saying something. A lot of folks seemed to think the writing was mediocre, but I personally enjoyed it a lot and think it's very much worth watching.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

not particularly no

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Free yourself from streaming services and watch k-on

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jose posted:

any recommendations for stuff thats a single season of 13/26 length available on netflix or crunchyroll. first time i asked i got recommended acca 13 which I really liked. I'm in the middle of season 2 of b the beginning and just after something to watch around that really. Ideally nothing based on a manga

vaguely related i remember watching texhnolyze years ago and not finishing it and just wondering if its actually any good

what are the crunchyroll originals like that aren't based on korean webtoons?
a place further than the universe? what sort of genres are you looking for

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

some soft of sci fi/fantasy show that may or may not involve a lot of action or something specifically like acca 13. The more similar to dorohedoro something si the better. i think I just want netflix to release the second seasons of a bunch of stuff like beastars or other stuff I watched fairly recently. I really liked drifting dragons

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Akudama Drive is great and probably in the vein of what you're looking for, but I don't know what it's on.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
have you watched Run With the Wind yet? it's on CR, 23 ep, really good sports story
e: missed the follow up post wanting sci-fi/fantasy but it's still a good show

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 9, 2021

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Jose posted:

some soft of sci fi/fantasy show that may or may not involve a lot of action or something specifically like acca 13. The more similar to dorohedoro something si the better.

Blood Blockade Battlefront maybe? has 2 seasons but they're only 12 eps.

edit: oh its a manga adaptation though, didnt see that criteria

Tales of Woe fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 9, 2021

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Jose posted:

any recommendations for stuff thats a single season of 13/26 length available on netflix or crunchyroll. first time i asked i got recommended acca 13 which I really liked. I'm in the middle of season 2 of b the beginning and just after something to watch around that really. Ideally nothing based on a manga

vaguely related i remember watching texhnolyze years ago and not finishing it and just wondering if its actually any good

Kaiba.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Jose posted:

some soft of sci fi/fantasy show that may or may not involve a lot of action or something specifically like acca 13. The more similar to dorohedoro something si the better. i think I just want netflix to release the second seasons of a bunch of stuff like beastars or other stuff I watched fairly recently. I really liked drifting dragons

Kaiba
Planet With
Serial Experiments Lain

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Jose posted:

have you seen megalobox? chaika the coffin princess might be worth a 3 episode test

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Jose posted:

Apologies if you've seen all this stuff already, but I'm just gonna list some of the obvious ones just in case:

Assuming you've likely seen it if you like sci fi anime, but if not then Steins;Gate (on Netflix in my country at least). The sequel Steins;Gate 0 is on Crunchyroll too. From the New World on Crunchyroll is also a great sci-fi ish dystopian show (has a manga but the manga is a separate, apparently terrible, adaptation of the same novel). Evangelion is on Netflix now, plus End of Eva, well worth a watch if you haven't seen either. Haven't watched it myself but I heard good things about Kyousougiga (on Crunchyroll). Mob Psycho 100 is great (has two seasons but I think both are 13 eps).

Other ideas: SSSS.Gridman was mentioned earlier and was a good shout, though is perhaps a bit more character-focused than you might expect. Megalobox was also mentioned, which was pretty decent.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jose posted:

Texhnolyze was, imo, worth watching and kinda interesting.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'm currently halfway through SSSS.Gridman and despite never ever watching a show like this (unlike you count Power Rangers, I guess?) I'm absolutely loving it. I fully recommend it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
If you're a hard science fiction fan, then manga tends to be much better at that, while anime tends to dislike adapting hard science fiction, or the hard sci-fi originals are complete botches. I'm still mad at how bad Beatless was in spite of some of its interesting themes. Here's to hoping Vivy: Fluorite eye hits them properly

The recent Deca-Dence is more soft sci-fi that touches on some interesting themes. ID:Invaded is a take on Inception and Psycho-Pass. AICO: Incarnation is a Netflix show that is pretty deece hard sci-fi.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

I'm not a huge anime person in general - based off friend's recommendations I've tried quite a few (mostly shounen) but always trailed off from losing interest - but then I happened to watch A Place Further Than The Universe and absolutely loved it. I think I liked just the fact that it was heart-warming, somewhat cathartic, and relationship centered rather than action-centered. Just tell me what I should watch based off that please. (I searched the thread and mostly saw this being recommended to people rather than jumping off from that as a starting point). I'm open to sci-fi and fantasy but generally favour stuff that takes place in the real world, historical or not.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

DetoxP posted:

I'm not a huge anime person in general - based off friend's recommendations I've tried quite a few (mostly shounen) but always trailed off from losing interest - but then I happened to watch A Place Further Than The Universe and absolutely loved it. I think I liked just the fact that it was heart-warming, somewhat cathartic, and relationship centered rather than action-centered. Just tell me what I should watch based off that please. (I searched the thread and mostly saw this being recommended to people rather than jumping off from that as a starting point). I'm open to sci-fi and fantasy but generally favour stuff that takes place in the real world, historical or not.

Barakamon (high-strung prodigy calligrapher goes on vacation/exile to the countryside to learn to take it easy)

The Tatami Galaxy, Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken, Ping-Pong (all by the same director, he has a lot of sci-fi / horror stuff too but these three are all relatively grounded -- in terms of narrative, anyways, stylistically they're pretty out there)

Kakushigoto (dad is embarassed about his job as a cartoonist and keeps it a secret from his young daughter, with a frame narrative about her as an older teen trying to understand him better)

Ore Monogatari (cute romcom, not to be confused with Monogatari)

ACCA 13 (takes place in a fictional country but it's about career bureaucrats solving diplomatic and logistical problems and dealing with inter- and intra-departmental feuding, so it definitely covers "relationship-centered")

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

DetoxP posted:

Check out Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu. It's essentially a coming of age story that keeps going afterwards, telling the main character's entire life story from early childhood to old age. It's got lots of messy relationships, some that get mended, some that don't.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DetoxP posted:

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu as Squark said.

For something more lighthearted and less dramatic, Yama no Susume (Encouragement of Climb) would also be good.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

DetoxP posted:

heart-warming, somewhat cathartic, and relationship centered rather than action-centered
Sweetness & Lightning
Natsume's Book of Friends
Run With the Wind
The Eccentric Family
My Roommate is a Cat

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

DetoxP posted:

Both come out later this year but definently check out,

Taisho Otome Otogibanashi

Faraway Paladin

You may also want to watch

Kaguya-sama: Love is War

Lovely Complex

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DetoxP posted:

Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai. Despite how the title may sound, it's a very solid show about relationships and dealing with personal issues through the medium of quantum physics.

It makes sense in context.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Forgot to add these two.

Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku

Science Fell in Love and I tried to Prove it.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai. Despite how the title may sound, it's a very solid show about relationships and dealing with personal issues through the medium of quantum physics.

It makes sense in context.

APFTTU made me sad but Rascal made me a sad that stayed with me for at least a little, as a note.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

DetoxP posted:

Wandering Son.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Apr 18, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Acerbatus posted:

APFTTU made me sad but Rascal made me a sad that stayed with me for at least a little, as a note.

I saw a double-feature of Rascal Does Not Dream of a Dreaming Girl and Promare in a cinema screening. Now that was a rollercoaster of emotion :shepface:.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
I think yuru camp is a good rec if you liked a place further than the universe. Not as plot-driven but has some of the same good vibes I feel. Maybe I'm just high on recently watching yuru camp though.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

DetoxP posted:

I'll third Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu. Also:

March Comes in Like a Lion seasons 1 & 2
Orange - I think the premise ends up being kind of goofy, but it has a lot of heart

Movies:
In This Corner of the World
Liz and the Blue Bird - based off of Sound! Euphonium seasons 1 & 2, which would also be worth your time, but it's honestly not a prerequisite for enjoying this one
Children of the Sea - the plot teeters on the edge of incoherence (and often drops off into it), but I also think it's so gorgeous with a spectacular climax that I think it would not end up not bothering you as much

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DetoxP posted:

March Comes in Like a Lion is a great show that hits the exact tone you're saying you want there, though it's about shogi. They do a decent job explaining what you need to know and its more about the characters' feelings related to the game than the game itself, but skimming wikipedia articles/playing a couple games on some random browser game site might help.

Sound Euphonium is a really, really good character drama about a high school band, and Liz and the Blue Bird is a film spinoff of it thats insanely good.

A Silent Voice is a film about a deaf girl and a guy who bullied her in middle school reconnecting in high school. It can get pretty heavy (suicide comes up) but it's absolutely worth a watch.

SSSS. Gridman has a heavy tokusatsu/mecha element and each episode ends with a fight, but all the dramatic weight is on the characters, and there's a lot of very natural dialogue and back-and-forth, and quiet moments of them just hanging out. The action exists but is mostly there to play off the relationship stuff, not the other way around.

Planetes is a sci-fi workplace comedy/drama about, basically, space garbagemen - space travel is common, which has led to a lot of debris floating in space, and the cast work to clean it up. it's got an adult cast so its pretty down to earth, minus a few designated comedy episodes, and the characters and their relationships are the main focus, with the sci-fi elements mostly being used to enhance that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DetoxP posted:

Kids on the Slope, a series about some kids in 1960s japan who start playing jazz. It's charming as hell and the writing is extremely solid. I read the manga instead of the anime but I can only imagine the anime, having the benefit of animation and especially music, for a series that has music as a central theme, can only improve it.

Monster may be up your alley, it's a drama/thriller about a doctor who makes the choice to save a young boy instead of the politician he is ordered to save, and the resulting ramifications of that decision.

Seconding planetes, wandering son, and march comes in like a lion. I don't even like shogi and MCILAL is still one of my favorite series despite that being a core element of the main character.

The wonderful thing about anime is that so many series or even miniseries come out every season (it's like 30-50 series a season nowadays I think) that cover an incredible range of topics that you'll quickly find there's probably at least one series a season for you out there just from sheer quantity.

Also this is entirely out of your request window but it's a recent series that is just friendly and wonderful that many people wound up loving, Welcome To Demon School, Iruma-kun!. A boy is sold by his parents to the devil, who turned out to just want a grandson and enrolls him in a demon world academy. It's super heartwarming and I love every single character. It's just such an earnest, fun series, that you may wind up enjoying it despite it being entirely fantastical and outside what you asked for.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

DetoxP posted:

A lot of the recommendations above are great shouts - I'd personally second March Comes In Like a Lion and Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken in particular. Shirobako was also a great show - about an animation studio creating a new anime series, with the central cast being mostly 20-somethings getting settled into new careers/trying to get a foot on the ladder, etc. Whilst it's a solid show regardless, a lot of the interest is in learning about how anime is made, which the show goes into a fair amount of detail on, so maybe not something for you if that doesn't sound appealing.

Other than that, Hyouka is a great, laid-back and lighthearted mystery series with some really lovely art. Nearly any Ghibli movie is worth a try if you spot one you take an interest in, but Whisper of the Heart is a particularly nice character-centered romance. In general I'd recommend any movie by Satoshi Kon, but Tokyo Godfathers sounds up your alley (group of three homeless people find an abandoned baby and decide to look after it/return it to its mother). K-On! is also worth a look.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DetoxP posted:

Got another recommendation actually; Go watch Violet Evergarden, it's on Netflix if you have that. I'd highly advise watching just an episode per sitting though, because hoo-boy will it make you feel things each time :qq:.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
There's an absurd amount of anime out there at any given time but what if you want something a bit different.

Something that has a real man in it, a real mans man, the manliest of men that ever manned in the history of mandom.

A person so feared that his very presence and possibilities of violence can render an opponent weak in the knees, one whose reputations is so mighty it can knock out ones opponent before he even strikes!

Who is this person? Some call him a demon. His pure intensity gives ordinary people pause and can scare them off even if he intends no harm at all. His body has the mark of many scars of battle from the fights he himself has taken part in, for he was one of the dreaded yakuza yet no ordinary one.

No, he was the boss. A crime lord so infamous other criminals still speak of his slaughter of six other rival groups in one night using only his bare hands.

He is the immortal dragon!

He is Tatsu!

He is the house husband!

Y'rly.

From a tough as nails kingpin of crime to a ordinary house husband in Japan.

I speak of the show The Way of the Househusband on netflix. Do you need some cheering up. Do you want to laugh. Watch this show. It is hysterical. It's composed of six mini episodes in any single episode where the immortal dragon is trying to live a ordinary life as the house husband while his wife
works. So how does a former Yakuza boss handle such a thing? With the same drive and focus that he had before, leading to crazy, silly and funny situations. Especially when it comes to other people or handling mundane things as if they were life and death cases.

He also has a wife that's an otaku and has a cat named Gin. The cat gets mini episodes too.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Show looks liek poo poo to be quite honest.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the manga's funny but the anime was hosed hard by netflix producers

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I went in with full awareness that it was basically a motion comic, and it's an okay motion comic.

The first five episodes were apparently animated by literally one guy, which must have loving sucked.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Rascal Pig Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai.
Thanks for this, what is the deal with good animes, so many of my faves, and having titles + promo art that would make me 100% sure to never check them out without recommendations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I went in with full awareness that it was basically a motion comic, and it's an okay motion comic.

The first five episodes were apparently animated by literally one guy, which must have loving sucked.
tbf not like there was much animating for him to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Me turning up to do the sound design for The Quiet Man with my deckchair