Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
I’ve read every Charley Project entry for California, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington; and I’m working my way through Arizona. This one sticks out to me the most of any I’ve never heard of before in the news or elsewhere. Mostly because there are two conflicting stories that are so wildly different and bizarre that the whole thing reads like a reboot of the movie Fargo or something.

https://charleyproject.org/case/john-gordon-iverson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Shellception posted:

The emeritus king of Spain (father of the current one) did the same to his younger brother, although a pistol was involved in this case. He was in military academy (so 17 or so) and the brother was 14. Story probably belongs in this thread tbh.
Nearly the same story is true of the former king of Thailand. Ananda Mahidol (King Rama VIII), aged 20, was alone in his bedroom with his 19-year-old brother, Bhumibol Adulyadej,* later King Rama IX. "A shot rang out." Two pages and Ananda's secretary were prosecuted for murder. The police arrested and then murdered two of the defense counsel in the case. Even after considerable intimidation, 'the court ruled that King Ananda had been assassinated, but that Chaleo had not been proved guilty and that neither of the pages could have fired the fatal shot.' The government prosecutors eventually, courtesy of multiple appeals, got all three of them convicted. They were murdered executed by firing squad.

Non-Thai consensus is that Bhumibol shot Ananda, whether by accident or on purpose is unknowable.

Don't bother looking at Wikipedia for a fuller discussion; the page is heavily stalked by Thai royalists, and lèse-majesté is prosecuted vigorously. Andrew MacDonald Douglas gives a rundown of the British diplomatic cables at the time; the Smithsonian has an overview of the case.

* I'm giving names in the English usage, not the Thai usage. I suspect both brothers would be properly referred to by their regnal titles.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I used to drink with another regular who eventually went to prison for interfering with a horse. Nice guy really; saved me from taking a (unwarranted) thumping this one time. First we found out about it was when the sentencing made national news.

We don't keep in touch.

He also got a second concurrent sentence for spousal abuse which is why he's still Inside, but that's not really a good story like the horse-shagging is.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I grew up with this guy and his two brothers, they lived four houses away, he was a couple years older than me and a troublemaker. Still big news when he offed two people, including a cop, during a mini-mart robbery.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...b-00a3d43f76ea/

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

The business I'm in has a lot of former convicts (I don't know what else to call someone in that position) as contractors, and used to have more before they barred violent offenders from entry.

Most guys just hosed up to the point where it was difficult getting a job, but a few stood out.

One guy got into an argument with his then-girlfriend, threw her in the truck of her own car, drove the car to his place and did something even worse to her. Prison just made him more crafty and sly in his psychopathy. That man ran rough-shod over everthing he touched after gaining people's trust and is now effectively banned from working in our profession (at least in this state).

The other got into an argument with his then-girlfriend and threw her off a balcony, breaking an arm, a leg, and a few ribs. Prison made him a neurotic mess. Rich mom, though. Every lovely thing he did was eventually rewarded. Every step towards self-improvement was followed by two steps back and he always skated away, even more hosed in the head than before.

Generally we are a fairly violent bunch, at least when pushed. I think that really puts blinders on us, as far as recognizing red flags in others' behaviour.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Oh, almost forgot!

I've known four people who were killed with an axe, in two seperate incidents. Is that weird? That's weird, right?

Here's something else that has always bothered my friends and I. A friend of ours, the older brother of a friend, died after being run over by a train in his car. Late night, at a residential crossing. Good guy, kept himself away from our week-to-week drug-fueled fuckedupedness. Weekend warrior, understand? Maybe it was denial, but we never figured him as one who would commit suicide. Not like that, at least. gently caress, he loved that little Mazda. Bowlegs, four twelves under the hatch with four amps to match, underbody neon, the whole nine yards. The common theory is that someone beat him to poo poo and left him there to get hit by a train. Cops gave no shits after figuring out who he knew and where he had been. Guess we'll never know either.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Highbrow Slick posted:

I’ve read every Charley Project entry for California, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington; and I’m working my way through Arizona. This one sticks out to me the most of any I’ve never heard of before in the news or elsewhere. Mostly because there are two conflicting stories that are so wildly different and bizarre that the whole thing reads like a reboot of the movie Fargo or something.

https://charleyproject.org/case/john-gordon-iverson

All that trouble for what sounds like a ball-bearing Gatling gun that was probably put to some nefarious, untraceable use.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I grew up with this guy and his two brothers, they lived four houses away, he was a couple years older than me and a troublemaker. Still big news when he offed two people, including a cop, during a mini-mart robbery.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...b-00a3d43f76ea/

Oh poo poo, never thought I'd see my hometown in this thread.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Paragraph, USA

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

madeintaipei posted:

Oh, almost forgot!

I've known four people who were killed with an axe, in two seperate incidents. Is that weird? That's weird, right?

Here's something else that has always bothered my friends and I. A friend of ours, the older brother of a friend, died after being run over by a train in his car. Late night, at a residential crossing. Good guy, kept himself away from our week-to-week drug-fueled fuckedupedness. Weekend warrior, understand? Maybe it was denial, but we never figured him as one who would commit suicide. Not like that, at least. gently caress, he loved that little Mazda. Bowlegs, four twelves under the hatch with four amps to match, underbody neon, the whole nine yards. The common theory is that someone beat him to poo poo and left him there to get hit by a train. Cops gave no shits after figuring out who he knew and where he had been. Guess we'll never know either.

Was it an RX7 or 8?

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Nothing livens up a thread like the worst kind of horrors and close to home deaths, I guess.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Here's a video on the wilderness program that Dr. Phil frequently praises on his show and sends clearly struggling kids to. You might have heard of it because Bhad Bhabie (also known as the cash me outside girl) recently spoke out about the abuse she endured there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpS2rs9b3Q4.
She did one on Elan (the one that the creepy comic is based on) too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkLxYtS6S3U&t=1s

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Was it an RX7 or 8?

BG three door.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

madeintaipei posted:

It's only not weird if you're an axe murderer.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

so y'all gonna link them or

My morbid curiosity is getting the best of me too. Some of the stuff I think I've seen, but uh... yeah. Links.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think I linked the drawing from the Oakland killings I was talking about in one of my posts a year or two ago and the transcript I was talking about isn't too hard to find. Sorry, but I don't wanna dig them up again because I know myself and I'll read it again.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Sucrose posted:

Random question: Has anyone else ever come across some true crime document so loving awful that you don't even want to mention what it is because you don't want other people looking it up and subjecting themselves to that?
There's a tittle of a video that makes me retch when I read it. This is a video I have never seen.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think I linked the drawing from the Oakland killings I was talking about in one of my posts a year or two ago and the transcript I was talking about isn't too hard to find. Sorry, but I don't wanna dig them up again because I know myself and I'll read it again.
And that loving drawing is up there. I didn't remember what this was so my dumbass google image searched Oakland Killings drawing and instantly realized that I had hosed up.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, it's the first thing I've ever seen that I will go out of my way to never see again.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMDZcbkgpJA

This makes me think about the mass shooter in Canada with loving bags of cash from the Mounties.

PS go talk that poo poo out, my young internet poisoned 4chan dweeb rear end gave myself PTSD trying to "get tough" for reasons.

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 06:50 on Apr 8, 2021

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Not trying to talk poo poo (really), but Fascinating Horror is inspiring.
Just so low effort if you really think about it. It's reading a wikipedia page, maybe one source linked on it, writing the equivalent of a "book report" on that and putting it against a slideshow. And almost all of the topics are stuff you could find in this thread or some equivalent "creepiest and weirdest true stories!!!" reddit thread.
Sure there are british dudes just literally reading creepypasta or playing videogames but that's still really quite impressive. Almost half a million subscribers and they've never had to show their face or sacrifice their dignity.

Really makes me wanna make a youtube channel and a patreon and just make money off of depressed people online. Oh no now I'M the unnerving article or story!!

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Last year I was scrolling through Youtube when a video caught my eye. I opened it. In the video, a woman read out a text largely derived from a Wikipedia article I wrote five years ago, about an unsolved murder in which the victim's body was dismembered and left in suitcases. She whispered her way through the text because she was doing this as an ASMR.

She paused a couple of times to apologise that the ASMR was so "deathy".

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Not trying to talk poo poo (really), but Fascinating Horror is inspiring.
Just so low effort if you really think about it. It's reading a wikipedia page, maybe one source linked on it, writing the equivalent of a "book report" on that and putting it against a slideshow. And almost all of the topics are stuff you could find in this thread or some equivalent "creepiest and weirdest true stories!!!" reddit thread.
Sure there are british dudes just literally reading creepypasta or playing videogames but that's still really quite impressive. Almost half a million subscribers and they've never had to show their face or sacrifice their dignity.

Really makes me wanna make a youtube channel and a patreon and just make money off of depressed people online. Oh no now I'M the unnerving article or story!!

That Lazy Masquerade guy straight up reads Reddit posts and gets six figure views per video. It's funny listening to them because Redditors that make long story posts all tend to have a similar obnoxious style especially when writing dialogue and it really sticks out if you listen to a couple of his videos back to back.

I mentioned a true crime podcast I came across on YouTube called Lights Out Podcast in another thread and it's so low effort they make a bunch of factual errors (and in their McVeigh video the guy kept calling the Murrah building the "Murray" building).

I'm definitely jealous of people that can do this for a living instead of having to work a real job for forty hours a week like a sucker.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Sarcopenia posted:

Here's a video on the wilderness program that Dr. Phil frequently praises on his show and sends clearly struggling kids to. You might have heard of it because Bhad Bhabie (also known as the cash me outside girl) recently spoke out about the abuse she endured there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpS2rs9b3Q4.

ok subscribing to this channel. also: :stare:

stabbity
Sep 28, 2004

Are we sharing personal anecdotes of connections to murders/crimes? Because my husband is related to Pinochet and has a photo where Pinochet is holding him. He also grew up in the area Richard Ramirez was operating in in LA and his mom was friends with one of the victims.

He doesn't like when I watch any true crime documentaries.

I don't have any personal connections other than growing up in the area near where the Slenderman stabbing happened and also where Gypsy Rose Blanchard fled to after she and her boyfriend killed her mother.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
A guy in the city I'm from killed his girlfriend and then ate her over a few days. Happened pretty close to where I live I think! And also a guy murdered his girlfriend and maybe somebody else and then was acquitted, but later they found photos of it so I think he got off scot free? I can't recall the details. Recently, same city, a couple kidnapped another couple and beat the poo poo out of them, cut off the guys tongue and made him eat it in a ball of aluminum foil and he died. Lady survived.

Also the other day my wife, who works at a hospital, said a guy came into the e.r. really beat up, his girlfriend had done it. She bit off part of his penis. Later my wife found her profile on facebook, they're both really normal, like anime nerds.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm just gonna dump a few more of mine since we're all still sharing:

A friend of a friend's dad killed him and his mom execution style and then called the police and killed himself once they knocked on the door.

My friend's brother was murdered by his landlord. Well, no charges were filed so I guess "killed by his landlord" is the more accurate description.

One of my old girlfriends started to get more and more unhinged until one day she packed a suitcase and disappeared. No one knows where she is or if she's still alive. I'm assuming not since it's been about sixteen years now.

One of my friends once showed up at our apartment pounding on the door at about 3am. When we let him in he tossed a gym bag full of guns and pot on the couch and immediately walked to the bathroom and took a shower. When he got out he told all of us he was never there and left. We never found out what the hell happened. Last I heard he had been arrested for murder and then was killed. He was not a good person, but he was a blast to hang out with! Mostly anyways. There was the one time him and my friends where in an elevator and he mugged a random guy that got on with them. In brood day light. For no reason.

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
Family member tried to stand up for farmers rights and ended up framed for murdering the mayor. Got put under house arrest and had to break into jail for his own safety and spent a year there before the charges were dismissed.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Guy I knew was a cop who was tracking this dangerous gang. They ambushed him, tortured him and finally shot him in the head. Miraculously he lived, but he has to be turned into this cyborg-thing and now he has no memory of his past life. It sucks, really.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

i must compose posted:

A guy in the city I'm from killed his girlfriend and then ate her over a few days. Happened pretty close to where I live I think! And also a guy murdered his girlfriend and maybe somebody else and then was acquitted, but later they found photos of it so I think he got off scot free? I can't recall the details. Recently, same city, a couple kidnapped another couple and beat the poo poo out of them, cut off the guys tongue and made him eat it in a ball of aluminum foil and he died. Lady survived.

Also the other day my wife, who works at a hospital, said a guy came into the e.r. really beat up, his girlfriend had done it. She bit off part of his penis. Later my wife found her profile on facebook, they're both really normal, like anime nerds.

What a stupid rear end in a top hat. How is he going to taste with no tongue

Mechanical Pencil
Feb 19, 2013

by vyelkin

china bot posted:

My uncle accidentally shot and killed his 11 year old brother with a shotgun when they were kids because he didn't realize the gun was loaded. He then went on to build a house for Linda Hamilton decades later, something something Terminator

e: I inherited my deceased uncle's name, and consequently am now the teller of the tale.

My Dad shot and killed his friend with said friend's Father's service pistol at the tender age of 10. That coupled with dad's mother dying around the same time set him up with some rockin childhood trauma which remains unresolved to this day!

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Guy in my online social circle killed a little girl and intended to eat her :(

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

subpar anachronism posted:

Guy in my online social circle killed a little girl and intended to eat her :(

I recommend a different circle.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
My dad shot his brother as a prank, right in the rear end. My dad loaded his own ammo so made a powder mix that made a ton of fire and had the bullet basically drop out of the end of the barrel. His brother thought he died and had a bruise on his rear end, lower back, and upper thigh for weeks. Best party prank ever.

The unnerving part is that the prank was my dad pulled the gun as soon as his brother showed up to the party and yelled “You motherfucker!” and shot him as he turned to run, and dude dropped. Everyone at the party screamed and left. No cops ever came and my dad never saw any of those people again. So like a dozen people just figured my dad murdered his brother and just kept that secret.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

letthereberock posted:

Guy I knew was a cop who was tracking this dangerous gang. They ambushed him, tortured him and finally shot him in the head. Miraculously he lived, but he has to be turned into this cyborg-thing and now he has no memory of his past life. It sucks, really.
gently caress off rear end in a top hat

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Sarcopenia posted:

gently caress off rear end in a top hat

Wrong movie!

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

letthereberock posted:

Bitch, leave

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

PringleCreamEgg posted:

My dad shot his brother as a prank, right in the rear end. My dad loaded his own ammo so made a powder mix that made a ton of fire and had the bullet basically drop out of the end of the barrel. His brother thought he died and had a bruise on his rear end, lower back, and upper thigh for weeks. Best party prank ever.

The unnerving part is that the prank was my dad pulled the gun as soon as his brother showed up to the party and yelled “You motherfucker!” and shot him as he turned to run, and dude dropped. Everyone at the party screamed and left. No cops ever came and my dad never saw any of those people again. So like a dozen people just figured my dad murdered his brother and just kept that secret.

This is why we need to ban guns.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

PringleCreamEgg posted:

So like a dozen people just figured my dad murdered his brother and just kept that secret.

Would you go snitch on a guy volatile enough to shoot his own brother at a party in front of everyone else? :colbert:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I know it's cliché, but I can't do true crime about kids after I had kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

letthereberock posted:

That does suck. Well, it sucks if that happened in 2014. It would rule if it happened in like 1987 or something.