Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Like there were a million ways to write the story that weren’t “Eren is validated and begins his genocide” but that’s how the story went, I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Like there were a million ways to write the story that weren’t “Eren is validated and begins his genocide” but that’s how the story went, I guess

Some people just really really like "Dune" I guess.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

man I wish this was as good as Dune

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
He's not validated though,

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Marley was in the middle of dropping bombs when Eren called on the Wall Titans after already declaring their intent to attack and destroy Paradis, Isayama chose for events to play out such that it was implied that not responding somehow would lead to the likely and very imminent death of everyone on the island.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The last 4 years of this manga were better off not happening

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Now that I think about it... it's time to unbookmark this thread. It's the first one I had bookmarked many years ago. It feels weird to not have it on my list anymore. :ohdear:

edit: reading the first pages of the thread now it's interesting!

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

There is a literal line where a character is thanking him for being a mass murderer, with everyone else crying and saying what a great guy he was, then immediately after they all go on living happily as their nation expands their military force in order to exterminate anyone who might oppose them and just don't have a problem with it like they used to.

How is that anything but validation for his actions?

In It For The Tank posted:

The official translation for that line:

Armin: Eren... Thank you. You became a mass murderer for our sake... I promise I won't let this error go to waste.

I just can't believe this is a line in a series which had such great writing and what seemed to be a real understanding of how humans actually behave.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

bees x1000 posted:

man I wish this was as good as Dune

Not even Dune's ending could live up to being as good as Dune. :laffo:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Asuron posted:

There is a literal line where a character is thanking him for being a mass murderer, with everyone else crying and saying what a great guy he was, then immediately after they all go on living happily as their nation expands their military force in order to exterminate anyone who might oppose them and just don't have a problem with it like they used to.

One of them thanked him, but still called it a mistake, which is the closest it came to it. After that the main cast lived in other countries, and are now going back to their more radicalized island as ambassadors to try and make peace with them.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The sad reality is that serialized fiction is not often meant to end which is why it is so often terrible and disappointing when it finally does

Attack on Titan didn’t retroactively make the villain’s plot into incest though, so I can’t even say it’s the worst manga conclusion I read on the last two years.

Unless Isayama surprises, astounds and horrifies us all with a postscript chapter somehow worse than this one

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Asuron posted:

I just can't believe this is a line in a series which had such great writing and what seemed to be a real understanding of how humans actually behave.
I think the implication is the changes in perspective that allowed the main characters to become friends could, if everyone else understood them, allow peace/not fascism. Like, the fascism in Pardis is presented as very bad, as is the death of most of humanity. The happy tone is the result of the idea that this grim state of affairs may eventually be fixed with the power of friendship.

I just read it and there's a lot I don't understand about it, so I don't know how I feel about this, but the story is clearly not just blithely happy about fascism.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

TheKingofSprings posted:

The sad reality is that serialized fiction is not often meant to end which is why it is so often terrible and disappointing when it finally does

This was a perfect ending.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is a great way to sum it all up, yeah. It wouldn't feel so disappointing if my standards for AoT weren't so high before. Isayama has amazed us all along with so much foreshadowing that it seemed like he must have an unusual amount of actual planning in his story, instead of winging it by the seat of his pants each month. This is the guy who had us wondering what could possibly be in the basement for ages, dying to see it even as we told ourselves to not get our hopes up too much cause there's no way it could really live up to that much hype... only for it to totally live up to the hype.

I even loved the timeskip stuff and the new characters and worldbuilding in Marley, especially since the newest anime season really showed it off well. We go out into the wider world after following these isolated protagonist heroes for so long, and their desperate fight to preserve what they think is left of humanity... only to quickly gain sympathy for people on the opposite side too. I loved the grim parallel of Eren coming to Marley "for the same reason as Reiner", and Gabi's arc was looking especially great. I didn't mind Eren having a heel turn if it made for good drama, since he'd always been shown as a pretty dark reflection on the typical shonen hero. It looked like AoT was going to still keep up a good standard of storytelling and characterisation even as the world greatly expanded. But then this is just... bleh.

It doesn't ruin any of the earlier stuff for me, though. Cause this kind of story, I could accept it not even having any big momentous ending. Human conflict always goes on, they might never get a shounen ending or never really gain an understanding of whatever crazy godlike thing Ymir came in contact with. I think I would've been most happy with either:

1) A big shounen ending that does still show us how the power of the Titans is finally removed from the world... but takes a LOT more time to get there, and gives that conflict and climax the attention it really deserved. And with way less timey wimey bullshit.

2) A more Bojack ending where after some momentary conclusion is reached, it's implied that Titans and conflict will always continue and nothing ever has that clean of a resolution, and the main characters have to try and make peace with that however they can.

As it stands, I'm going to just kind of pretend the end doesn't exist and all the previous stuff is still good, resulting in a headcanon like Option 2.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

MonsterEnvy posted:

One of them thanked him, but still called it a mistake, which is the closest it came to it. After that the main cast lived in other countries, and are now going back to their more radicalized island as ambassadors to try and make peace with them.

Yeah maybe people are put off by the awkward phrasing of the English translation but he's essentially saying "I appreciate that you care that much about us, but it was still wrong" He wasn't praising how noble genocide is.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
well eren, you may have murdered 80% of the human population, but thank you for your good intentions

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Whew, I was worried I was gonna come into this thread after finishing the final chapter and find a bunch of people praising it.

I honestly haven't seen a series about oppressed people gently caress up its ending so badly since The Broken Earth. For one, it's incredibly fraught to make a story about oppressed people with superpowers. The lengths AoT goes to justify how the Eldians are oppressed (a secret cabal with the Tyburs plus memory manipulation from the King) is convoluted, but it functions. The bigger danger with these types of stories is making your oppressed wizards actually a huge threat to normal humans. Bigots often claim that whichever group they hate is inherently dangerous. When you make such threats real, you at least partly justify the actions taken to stop them. It’s more likely that the story will end up validating people who want to believe that oppression happens for a legitimate reason.

Throughout AoT I was hoping it would pull off an ending good enough to justify the awkward trope of oppressed wizards. It... did not. It actually says that it would have been in everyone else's best interest to slaughter them as quickly as possible for their own survival. Or, in an exceptionally generous reading, to try to make peace with them and then live with the awkward power dynamic of a certain group having superpowers. Eventually I suppose technological advances would have made up for the power differential, but in the AoT world as it stands, Titans were always the biggest edge in military force.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 9, 2021

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I haven't posted in the thread in a while but the last few years were a wild rear end roller coaster. This ending kinda sucks, but I can't say it's not what I expected. I felt like the last four years of AoT were pretty up and down in quality especially with how wishy washy Isayama's been on some of his cast. The immediate stuff post timeskip is actually pretty interesting, but once everyone's back in Paradis and the internal poo poo with the Jaegerists and other crap is going on I stopped really being too invested because I felt there were way too many parties involved with what was going on and it became annoying to remember all of the new players. Eren's making GBS threads on Mikasa and Armin also felt really hollow at the time and is pretty laughable looking back on it too especially with this chapter in mind. I really wish Isayama loving relented on Eren's attitude towards Mikasa for so much because it's ridiculous to me he gives her this cold shoulder attitude so much but actually does reciprocate her feelings and Mikasa in general deserved better than what she got in this series. When Zeke's motivation and poo poo all happened I was pretty tired of everything happening and kinda went with the madness having fun, but yeah AoT's gotten pretty tiresome by now and I'm glad it's done.

This last chapter sucked, but it wasn't anything I wasn't already expecting to be honest.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Its one thing to simply have a bad ending, but it honestly makes some of AOT's best moments feel absolutely hollow and meaningless.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
God that scene is so loving good and made me think I was wrong deciding to skip on AoT after the timeskip for like two years.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
The way the story's explained is as if Eren is playing a dialogue choice game with save states, but he only ever uses them to go down the Bad End route.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Why was my mom eaten by a titan that day, Reiner? Oh wait because i sent the titan there, nevermind my bad

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Frionnel posted:

Why was my mom eaten by a that day, Reiner? Oh wait because i sent the titan there, nevermind my bad

That makes it funnier, because now he’s just trying to neg Reiner.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Imagine being Levi at the end of all of this.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

HoneyBoy posted:

The way the story's explained is as if Eren is playing a dialogue choice game with save states, but he only ever uses them to go down the Bad End route.

It's more like he knows how to get to one ending, and that ending results in his friends living long lives and the end of titans. He doesn't believe he can reach any other ending so he just keeps moving forward.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

JahRoo posted:

It's more like he knows how to get to one ending, and that ending results in his friends living long lives and the end of titans. He doesn't believe he can reach any other ending so he just keeps moving forward.

But how does he know that if there aren't any more Attack Titans left to send him images of the future? All he know is that titans are gone and he will die before his friends.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 9, 2021

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan
This chapter impressed me in the sense that this ending is somehow worse than the one presented in Code Geass R2, and that was the bottom of the ending scale for me.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Captain Baal posted:

Imagine being Levi at the end of all of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l2awXfumOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Hundreds of posts about the ending being a disaster and I just read it and it was just... ok? At best it's a nothingburger. It definitely is rushed though, there's a ton more stuff Isayama could've done with his cast before he got to this end point.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
The ending is definitely poo poo, I didn't hate it myself, but I think more than anything the reaction people are having comes from the disparity in the demonstrably better writing from the rest of the series compared to the last act.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It’s funny that in about a year we’ll be able to witness this dynamic play out again in the anime thread.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

mightygerm posted:

Its one thing to simply have a bad ending, but it honestly makes some of AOT's best moments feel absolutely hollow and meaningless.

Augh I'd forgotten about that exact line, what was even the point of the stuff about the titan who ate his mom in the final chapter, what does that possibly add to the story?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ETURNA posted:

This chapter impressed me in the sense that this ending is somehow worse than the one presented in Code Geass R2, and that was the bottom of the ending scale for me.

Really? R2’s ending was one of the best things about R2

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Bifauxnen posted:

Augh I'd forgotten about that exact line, what was even the point of the stuff about the titan who ate his mom in the final chapter, what does that possibly add to the story?

Simply to explain why Dina didn't eat Bertolt. Could've just not had Bert be around Dina or simply gotten away. Nope, Eren's behind it all.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

HoneyBoy posted:

The ending is definitely poo poo, I didn't hate it myself, but I think more than anything the reaction people are having comes from the disparity in the demonstrably better writing from the rest of the series compared to the last act.

This is where I'm at.

For any other series, it was just not a good ending. But everything from retaking Shinganshina to the Paths stuff was so well written and meticulously planned out that it makes this so much worse and it's so tonally inconsistent with what was written before and how the characters behaved.

It'd be like if instead of One Piece ending on a happy note where everyones laughing and having a big party because of the grand adventure they've had, you instead kill off every main character and try to slam in some sort of allegory about the horror's of obsession and the high price of pursuing one's dream in the last minute. That would be completely inconsistent with the series themes of adventure, freedom and friendship it built up over all that time.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Asuron posted:

This is where I'm at.

For any other series, it was just not a good ending. But everything from retaking Shinganshina to the Paths stuff was so well written and meticulously planned out that it makes this so much worse and it's so tonally inconsistent with what was written before and how the characters behaved.

It'd be like if instead of One Piece ending on a happy note where everyones laughing and having a big party because of the grand adventure they've had, you instead kill off every main character and try to slam in some sort of allegory about the horror's of obsession and the high price of pursuing one's dream in the last minute. That would be completely inconsistent with the series themes of adventure, freedom and friendship it built up over all that time.

It wouldn't be inconsistent with it being bad though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bifauxnen posted:

More dramatic irony.

I don't like how smiling titan got expanded on. The poo poo with Dina feels so tacked on to give a twist on the smiling titan's identity and this poo poo only further compounds it.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

theCalamity posted:

Simply to explain why Dina didn't eat Bertolt. Could've just not had Bert be around Dina or simply gotten away. Nope, Eren's behind it all.

Yeah, I had never for one second ever thought "hey wait a minute, how come Bert didn't get eaten up by some random titan after he went back to human form infiltration mode, man what a plot hole, I hope this gets explained later"

Or even if I had thought that, why would it have to specifically be Dina who was gonna eat him?

I guess the point is to show just how extreme Eren's commitment was to following the paths poo poo. I wish there wasn't any of this future vision time loop poo poo in the story at all, honestly. The power of the Titans is already so incredible without it, and a zealot like Grisha didn't really need to have future visions to get himself all psyched up to murder royal kids.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

theCalamity posted:

The worst part is, there was already a great setup for tragic irony when Dinas last words were “no matter what form I take, I will come and find you”. And we find out that Dina basically made a beeline for Grishas house and ate his new wife. It could have just been left as is, no further explanation needed, abnormal Titans are already well established in the story. It’s mind boggling why he decided to just ruin this retroactively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

mightygerm posted:

The worst part is, there was already a great setup for tragic irony when Dinas last words were “no matter what form I take, I will come and find you”. And we find out that Dina basically made a beeline for Grishas house and ate his new wife. It could have just been left as is, no further explanation needed, abnormal Titans are already well established in the story. It’s mind boggling why he decided to just ruin this retroactively.

It turned out that Eren made her say that