Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Yeah my kid ate *anything* for a while before entering the toddler refuses all foods stage. The worst stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mine absolutely wrecked some gochujang glazed meatballs and loves roasted Brussels sprouts with balsamic vinegar.

PerniciousKnid posted:

My infant ate lots of stuff that she grew out of, now post-toddler she's starting to eat more variety again.

Our pediatrician has harped on exposing the baby to as much variety as possible so that when the inevitable toddler contraction in what they will eat occurs it will still be a decent range of stuff. We'll see if it pays off, Mrs Pony is a pediatric dietitian and is always fighting to try and keep from obsessing over the food he gets since she's primed to do it since that's what she does all day and she's primed for worry there.

So far the only thing he hates is steamed cauliflower, which I can't fault him for since I hate it too. He's all about roasted veggies though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

Mine absolutely wrecked some gochujang glazed meatballs and loves roasted Brussels sprouts with balsamic vinegar.

I recall being a pretty picky eater, but in retrospect my mom's idea of gourmet food was bland casseroles topped with salt or margarine

In retrospect I should have realized early on that my mom was a terrible cook (probably learned it from her mother) and being a picky eater was probably a result of being offered barely edible food.

I don't think I even learned that balsamic vinegar even existed until high school when my social group started watching Alton Brown's "Good Eats". Your food sounds amazing and it's no suprise that your kid eats your food

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

My 10mo fuckin loves spicy food. Especially guac with chili's in it. He will beg and beg for it if he sees it out.

He also loves beans? Like wtf man. Noone loves beans it's just something you eat because it's cheap and healthy.

MrKonarski
May 9, 2012
Could y'all tell me when can you actually introduce children to spices per se?

My wife is eastern european and it's telling me that we should condemn our children to 3 - 4 years of extremely bland food otherwise their digestive systems will explode,

It seems to be a cultural thing,

I disagree but the internet is a pit of disinformation lately and of course we both can find websites proving "our point"

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I can't point you to any research, it's just that personally the "baby eats what parents eat"movement seemed to make sense to us. I think salt is the only thing I try to avoid. Speaking of, Mrs. Dash makes a great number of no sodium spice blends you can mess around with. I recommend them often to patients at work (I'm a Dietitian).

It started for us when my wife had some chili and baby seemed super interested in it. She gave her some and she dug it, then we added chili powder to some chicken we gave her and she ate more of it than before. And off we were.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
My 10 month old hates sleep. Especially at 2am.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Tom Smykowski posted:

My 10 month old hates sleep. Especially at 2am.

Sup parent time zone posting buddy.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

MrKonarski posted:

Could y'all tell me when can you actually introduce children to spices per se?

Not authoritative by any stretch, but we also did the “baby eats what you eat*” thing starting at 6 months. Anything spicy is fine unless we’d be concerned with how it would feel coming out the other end.

(*) minus honey, nuts, raw/high mercury fish, food cut so it’s not a choking hazard, etc.

Tell me more about the weird things your kids eat. Our 18 month old demands pieces of any vegetable that’s being cut up, and will happily gnaw on a chunk of raw onion. Sometimes frustrating that she gets upset when we don’t give her things, but it’s hard to be mad at her for demanding veggies.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

We’ve been feeding our 14 month old twins everything we eat for several months now regardless of spice level. Jalepenos, cayenne pepper, chili powder, curry powder, etc. They’ve handled it great so far.

We will supplement it with other fruits/veggies sometimes since our doctor said to focus more on those rather than carbs and proteins, but they’ve been eating what we’ve been eating.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
What's everyone's opinion on earlier (3 years old) schooling? I'm assuming no objectively right answer but figure there's probably some good personal experience here. We have a 3.5 year old and only child who had been moving around with us (we're military) and we finally bought a house and settled down somewhere. We'd like to start her in a preschool program, and they offer full day (8 to 5) and half day (8 to 11) options and we're not sure which to take. We're not worried about the education or learning as much as social and structured classroom interaction with other kids and adults that aren't me and the wife.

I feel like a full day might be unecessarily much for a 3 year old that doesn't nap (but I'm envisioning rigid classroom schedules which might not be true), but I'm also not sure what 3 hours a day twice a week makes it worth the tuition over just going to the playground. I started kindergarten at 4 but I think the age has changed nowadays so looking at what might be best fit for her until she starts pre-K at 4?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Our youngest started preschool at 2.5 (almost 3 now) and she has loved it, and we’ve really noticed an expansion of her vocabulary and social skills. She is much better behaved at school than at home!

She’s extremely strong willed and has met her match with her teachers who are no nonsense Persian ladies. They have really taken a shine to her though! Her favourite thing now is presenting something at show and tell.

She just goes from 9 til 1pm so it isn’t too tiring and she can still have an afternoon nap.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

priznat posted:

She just goes from 9 til 1pm so it isn’t too tiring and she can still have an afternoon nap.

Man, humans peak early. I want this life!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

PageMaster posted:

What's everyone's opinion on earlier (3 years old) schooling? I'm assuming no objectively right answer but figure there's probably some good personal experience here. We have a 3.5 year old and only child who had been moving around with us (we're military) and we finally bought a house and settled down somewhere. We'd like to start her in a preschool program, and they offer full day (8 to 5) and half day (8 to 11) options and we're not sure which to take. We're not worried about the education or learning as much as social and structured classroom interaction with other kids and adults that aren't me and the wife.

I feel like a full day might be unecessarily much for a 3 year old that doesn't nap (but I'm envisioning rigid classroom schedules which might not be true), but I'm also not sure what 3 hours a day twice a week makes it worth the tuition over just going to the playground. I started kindergarten at 4 but I think the age has changed nowadays so looking at what might be best fit for her until she starts pre-K at 4?

Our 6 year old was enrolled in an early learning center and it's done wonders. Just had our semi-annual conference with her 1st grade teacher and she always gushes about her. Super smart, well adjusted with kids. I'd say go for it. We've loved it. Our second is in the same program (although at this point he's just about to turn 2 so they aren't doing much of the early learning program yet) although we're about to move and gently caress EVERYTHING UP.

Speaking of moving, man I love making big decisions like this for the family. Where everyone hates you and you constantly feel like you're doing the wrong thing. It's such an awesome great feeling. Just today we had our semi-annual teacher's conference (where she again told us how good she's doing and how awesome she is) and then I broke the news we were moving over the summer and even her teacher started crying.

Feelin' like a real champ lately.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

BonoMan posted:

Speaking of moving, man I love making big decisions like this for the family. Where everyone hates you and you constantly feel like you're doing the wrong thing. It's such an awesome great feeling. Just today we had our semi-annual teacher's conference (where she again told us how good she's doing and how awesome she is) and then I broke the news we were moving over the summer and even her teacher started crying.

Feelin' like a real champ lately.

I'm glad our daughter was not yet in school so I didn't have to deal with this (and also so she didn't get shocked from everything closing with COVID). We moved every one or two years until college and I hated every single one but now I can't stay in one spot for more than a couple years without getting bored. For what it's worth I loved that we moved so much, I just didn't realize it until I was 21 so you might have they going for you!

priznat posted:

I feel like this is perfect. I think my main issue is my options are all day which I think is too long, or 3 hours which I think is too short, I need a nice half-day middle option.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 8, 2021

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

We are interested in getting a children's smart watch with GPS and two way communication as our 9 year old daughter is starting to get more freedom of movement with her bike and visiting the near by parks.

Does anybody have a nice hands on recommendation for one? Everything I have researched comes with semi expensive monthly user charges.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just... Man... When I was a kid I lost so many watches and gameboys. I am having a hard time judging when to cell phone up my baby because I know that he will follow the hereditary path of losing expensive poo poo his parents got for him. Baby burners are like $80-$200 nowadays right? I'm scared to look.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

L0cke17 posted:

He also loves beans? Like wtf man. Noone loves beans it's just something you eat because it's cheap and healthy.

Dunno about that. As we found out, we don't even need to season and roast chickpeas, she'd probably be happy eating them straight out of the can. Which is great, because the way we're going, it's going to be breaded chicken with durum pasta and peas/chickpeas forever.

We started off well with spices and seasoning with curries and spicy soups, but lockdown stress, cabin fever and exhaustion has led to us down the path of least resistance. That is, find the one or two things she eats this month in addition to the staples and hope to find the next one before she decides to no longer eat it anymore.

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
My 2.5 year old loves unagi, shrimp etoufee, and spicy cheetos. She usually will not touch chicken nuggets, grilled cheese, hamburgers or other typical "kids" stuff. Our problem is that, while she enjoys a wide variety of food, the list of what she's guaranteed to eat at any one meal is really, really small. Usually I'll just make sure to throw some peas on her plate because she'll eat those, if nothing else. Toddlers.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

My 2.5 year old son skips naps on the reg...he might nap 2-4 days a week for 2 hours at a time.

But recently when he stays awake in his crib he’s started taking off his diaper. We watch him on video so we try and catch him because one time we didn’t and he peed everywhere.

the only interest in potty training is occasionally sitting on it and flushing the toilet. We have potty training books we read too.

So-wtf is with this?

Also-I did the best toddler on the block and when he does something bad, instead of yelling it says to clap hands together and do a low growl. Today he touched the hot water and tried to turn it on, so I did the clap/growl. Dude just laughed. No matter if we try other discipline he just laughs too. We’ve yelled, done time out, everything. Only thing that works is taking things away but that results in a full scale meltdown.

So what to do?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Take a vacation day from work and sit on the potty with him. Explain every object, show it's function and demonstrate operation. Say out loud where the sweet spot is on the faucet, down to the degree of rotation.

All day, whole day, crush his spirit, bend his will to yours. Or treat it like a Goku / Gohan hyperbolic time chamber episode. But the main thing is to pass your philosophy of poop on, no pastor, teacher, or day care worker has ever talked to him about it: that's responsibility is on the penis-haver.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
On potty training chat I need some wisdom before I lose my mind. Our 2.5 year old daughter took to the toilet quickly; she wouldn't tell us she needed to go and hold it, but we could put her on the potty seat and she would go and get a candy. Found out that she doesn't like to pee without a diaper on so could somes get her to warn is if she wasn't wearing one and wasn't distracted. She's always distracted so lots of peeing on the floor but still progress.

By the absolute worst luck, the first time she tried to poop on the toilet she was badly constipated, and since then she hates sitting on the toilet and is scared of trying to go anymore. Am I doomed forever or do I need to spend a week with her non stop with no diaper to hopefully make her HAVE to use the toilet? Please recommend a magic solution to solve everything here.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
My 3yo regressed after initial potty success so I just gave up for a year.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

My 3yo regressed after initial potty success so I just gave up for a year.

Well the goes my preschool enrollment. I feel like she's actively trolling me half the time she doesn't go anymore.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

PageMaster posted:

Well the goes my preschool enrollment. I feel like she's actively trolling me half the time she doesn't go anymore.

My middle child is now 3 and I feel like the pandemic has really simplified these sorts of decisions. Ordinarily I'd be finding him a preschool.

I don't know why so many camps expect 3yo to be potty trained, it seems extremely borderline. In my experience most kids aren't quite ready, unless you really beat it into them.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

PageMaster posted:

On potty training chat I need some wisdom before I lose my mind. Our 2.5 year old daughter took to the toilet quickly; she wouldn't tell us she needed to go and hold it, but we could put her on the potty seat and she would go and get a candy. Found out that she doesn't like to pee without a diaper on so could somes get her to warn is if she wasn't wearing one and wasn't distracted. She's always distracted so lots of peeing on the floor but still progress.

By the absolute worst luck, the first time she tried to poop on the toilet she was badly constipated, and since then she hates sitting on the toilet and is scared of trying to go anymore. Am I doomed forever or do I need to spend a week with her non stop with no diaper to hopefully make her HAVE to use the toilet? Please recommend a magic solution to solve everything here.

Supposedly I was given underwear of one of my favorite TV shows (TMNT IIRC) and my parents said that Raphael would hate it if I pooped on him, so I took to pooping in the toilet fast.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

PerniciousKnid posted:

My middle child is now 3 and I feel like the pandemic has really simplified these sorts of decisions. Ordinarily I'd be finding him a preschool.

I don't know why so many camps expect 3yo to be potty trained, it seems extremely borderline. In my experience most kids aren't quite ready, unless you really beat it into them.

Thats the plan. Full focus, no remorse. I will brainwash my son into being a poop cultist if it shaves 3 months off the potty training timeline.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

KirbyKhan posted:

Thats the plan. Full focus, no remorse. I will brainwash my son into being a poop cultist if it shaves 3 months off the potty training timeline.

I have three kids so I don't have the energy to do that, but good luck.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

KirbyKhan posted:

Yeah good luck man.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Extremely same, the youngest is going to be “eh, she’ll figure it out eventually” and we’ll just keep buying diapers up to whatever size we can :haw:

Doesn’t help that she is by far the most stubborn, but also the most independent so I’m pretty sure just going easy with it will pay off much easier and probably quicker than having a battle of wills (which I would probably lose)

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
16 month is going through a wicked sleep regression right now. She’s normally a champ sleeper but has spent the last two nights crying for over 2 hours at bedtime. Napped for the minimum 45 minutes today when it’s usually 2-2.5 hours. Tonight is nearly 3 hours of crying and she’s still going. I want to die

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

I don't work so I tried this, I lasted 3 days.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Maybe it’s a temperature thing? Where I am, the weather is swinging my madly from the low 40s to 80. We got a new furnace/ac system that didn’t come calibrated well, and it’s been hell trying to figure out what the temps actually are in each room. Turns out, when it’s 3 degrees cooler, our baby stops fussing and starts sleeping a hulluva lot quicker.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Well I had a good run. My eldest is 3 years 1 month and started skipping naps at daycare a little while ago, but still consistently napped at home.

No dice today. Here’s to a good nights sleep tonight.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
So what's everyone's experience with glycerin suppositories? Does it make your kid have a nice gentle wonderful poop that resemble roses and fairy sparkles or is there an unholy torrent of endless poo poo? I remember seeing some people talk about them in this thread before, just wondering what to expect.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Renegret posted:

So what's everyone's experience with glycerin suppositories? Does it make your kid have a nice gentle wonderful poop that resemble roses and fairy sparkles or is there an unholy torrent of endless poo poo? I remember seeing some people talk about them in this thread before, just wondering what to expect.

For us we used a fourth of a child's suppository. I put it up her butt.. she let out this high pitched yelp. And then about 2 or 3 seconds later the poop just started pouring out.

Also fwiw... Our first pediatrician was quick to suggest them but our second (who we like much better) says only to use them as a very last resort. Can't remember why though.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

nachos posted:

16 month is going through a wicked sleep regression right now. She’s normally a champ sleeper but has spent the last two nights crying for over 2 hours at bedtime. Napped for the minimum 45 minutes today when it’s usually 2-2.5 hours. Tonight is nearly 3 hours of crying and she’s still going. I want to die

Some teeth coming in maybe?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

PerniciousKnid posted:

Well I only have a sample of ~six 3-year olds and older at our daycare room, but they are all finished potty training. Of the two 2,5 year olds, one is. None of the 2-year-olds, so far, I think.

It seems to be highly culture-dependent. IIRC, US toddlers are notoriously later then in many European countries, which are in turn later than East Asian countries. It's not the 3-year-olds who are not ready, it's the parents or the methods taught to them.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I don't know, my child largely potty trained himself at just past two. We did very little to push him into it he just decided he wanted to do it and we supported him. I have a friend who did every strict strategy known to man and her daughter didn't end up potty training until closer to 5 and again it was because her daughter decided at that point she wanted to do it and did it just fine. No amount of cajoling or forcing or trying all of the methods made it happen before the kid was ready.

She said she wishes she would have just waited and not wasted all of her time and energy trying to force it. I am of the same view I would not have forced it on a toddler. I don't have the time or energy for that, especially since once he was ready it was super easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
My personal philosophy is to keep a relaxed attitude but to start introducing the potty pretty early. We've been actively prompting potty visits after meals and naps since about 1,5 years old, nothing else really. By now (2 years 5 months) they do about one diaper change per day at the day care, max. Most of the time she will go on the kiddy toilet they have. At home, 90% of her pee is in the potty and every poop for the past two months at least.

So far, she often doesn't ask to go unless prompted, but instead pees her diaper. We're holding off on that step (to go diaper-less over the day) until summer or until she shows some more tendency to go on her own initiative.

I have experience of a couple of families who went with some stricter "methods" and had setbacks, bringing a lot of anxiety around pooping into the picture. That gets hard to resolve, leading to holding it in, leading to constipation problems and more anxiety in a vicious circle. Not to blame any specific method but it kind of warned me off of playing it any way but "by ear".

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 9, 2021