Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ornamented Death posted:

Seven books, well over 5000 pages.

No, that’s too long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

oldpainless posted:

No, that’s too long

I read them in mass market paperback size and each one is a tiny brick. Good books though, a massive cast in medieval fantasy europe dealing with an invasion, corruption, and weird magic.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Back in 4th grade (1990) I read a young adult book about Ulysses. It started with him fighting a boar as a young man and ended with him dying as an old man on a hillside years after killing Penelope's suitors with Telemachus. It wasn't Evslin's Adventures of Ulysses but it was similar. Any idea?

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Okay here’s a tough one that I’m trying to remember.

I read this book sometime around middle school, I think. (Sometime around ‘99/‘00) It was a teen romance novel based in rural Minnesota where they had German POW camps and some girl I’m pretty sure falls in love with a soldier there. I can’t remember which world war it was during, I just want to see if it’s as weird as I feel like it might have been.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

CherryCola posted:

Okay here’s a tough one that I’m trying to remember.

I read this book sometime around middle school, I think. (Sometime around ‘99/‘00) It was a teen romance novel based in rural Minnesota where they had German POW camps and some girl I’m pretty sure falls in love with a soldier there. I can’t remember which world war it was during, I just want to see if it’s as weird as I feel like it might have been.

Arkansas, but Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Greene?

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Gats Akimbo posted:

Arkansas, but Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Greene?

Oh poo poo that’s it! I must have gotten confused with some other stories of POW camps in Minnesota. Thanks!

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012
So I've been straining my rusty brain for details about a short story that most likely appeared in a horror anthology during the early 1990's. (I've looked at titles edited by the likes of Douglas Winter and Kirby McCauley, but nothing rings a bell.) In the story, a lonely man travels to a remote desert area known for its mysterious Stonehengian sculptures.   The story ends with the man being transformed by the locals into a piece of living statuary, complete with a wind chime-like device placed between his teeth to catch the breeze.   Aiiiiieeeeeee.   

Nostalgic ick factor aside, the main reason I'm trying to track it down is that I seem to remember it being by an author with a reputation outside of the horror genre. I've been googling through the back catalogs of Paul Bowles and J.G. Ballard, but to no avail. (It really seems like it would be by Bowles.) Help. Please. 

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Eason the Fifth posted:

Back in 4th grade (1990) I read a young adult book about Ulysses. It started with him fighting a boar as a young man and ended with him dying as an old man on a hillside years after killing Penelope's suitors with Telemachus. It wasn't Evslin's Adventures of Ulysses but it was similar. Any idea?

I can't find a book to match the date but that sounds like a Rosemary Sutcliff kind of book, maybe look her list up?

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Looking for a very specific short story for a friend. It involves a team of figure skating girls training to be the best they could possibly be. This escalates to increasingly body horror as the girls transcend physical limits to become The Best.

Horrific self-damage for ice skating includes: sewing sequins into skin and/or attaching the skates right to their feet for better control on the ice.

Closest memory they have of the story is that it was included in a language arts book.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I started a book back in 2013 or 2014 and I don't remember the name or author and didn't get very far before returning it to the library.

It was recommended in a thread here I think so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

It was a scifi novel that started with the main character in space jail and this next part gets a bit fuzzy. The cells were tied up to some strategy game the inmates played against each other and when they did bad the cell shrunk and made life harder for them I think? Then the main character got released to go help the government (?) do something or other (steal something?)

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
In Hannu Rajaniemi's The Quantum Thief the protagonist starts out with many simulated copies of his mind trapped in a (simulated) prison bring made to play the prisoners dilemma. One copy gets sprung from prison to help steal something from a city on Mars, by one of the major factions.

If you remember tons of weird jargon with very little explanation, this is the book you mean.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I'm thinking quantum thief? There's a whole bit where they run prisoners through a literal prisoners dilemma forever.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hobnob posted:

In Hannu Rajaniemi's The Quantum Thief the protagonist starts out with many simulated copies of his mind trapped in a (simulated) prison bring made to play the prisoners dilemma. One copy gets sprung from prison to help steal something from a city on Mars, by one of the major factions.

If you remember tons of weird jargon with very little explanation, this is the book you mean.

Benagain posted:

I'm thinking quantum thief? There's a whole bit where they run prisoners through a literal prisoners dilemma forever.

It's this. I remember the audiobook telling me his name, vaguely remember how it's pronounced, and knew for a fact I couldn't spell it

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

filmcynic posted:

So I've been straining my rusty brain for details about a short story that most likely appeared in a horror anthology during the early 1990's. (I've looked at titles edited by the likes of Douglas Winter and Kirby McCauley, but nothing rings a bell.) In the story, a lonely man travels to a remote desert area known for its mysterious Stonehengian sculptures.   The story ends with the man being transformed by the locals into a piece of living statuary, complete with a wind chime-like device placed between his teeth to catch the breeze.   Aiiiiieeeeeee.   

Nostalgic ick factor aside, the main reason I'm trying to track it down is that I seem to remember it being by an author with a reputation outside of the horror genre. I've been googling through the back catalogs of Paul Bowles and J.G. Ballard, but to no avail. (It really seems like it would be by Bowles.) Help. Please. 

In Praise of Folly by Thomas Tessier

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Data Graham posted:

Hey I was just remembering a series that I read as a kid and now can't find hide nor hair of it via google or wikipedia.

It was a slice-of-life style young-adult series centered around an adolescent girl living in Manhattan in like the 1950s, and the story/stories centered around being poor and Jewish. I remember some very specific snatches of text but they're of no help apparently.

One situation involved Halloween night where the POV protagonist was running around the neighborhood looking for a cat for some reason, and then a bunch of the neighborhood boys came running out swinging long socks filled with flour and whacking everyone they could find with them to leave big white marks. "Jonathan Katz" she yelled at one of them, which I remember thinking was lame because they were talking about cats at the time and it seemed too on-the-nose

Another involved an anecdote about how during winter the poor families would save on electricity by emptying out their refrigerators and putting all the cold food in a window box out on the balcony, because it's cold enough in New York to get away with that

Another anecdote was about her helping a starving street kid, offering him/her a sandwich and they were like "...Is it kosher?"

There was also a bit where she found a coin in the gutter and didn't know at first whether it was a penny or a nickel, and she wouldn't look at it because she wanted to spend however long she could imagining it was a nickel, because that meant she could get all kinds of candy at the corner store, like a big long pretzel stick and some gum and still have enough left over to buy like, a car or something. In the end she opened her hand and looked and lo and behold, it WAS a nickel!!

There was also a thing where she went to summer camp at Lake Tiorati, and they sang that "Skin-a-ma-rink-a-dink-a-dink, skin-a-ma-rink-a-do, Camp Tiorati we love you" song.

Come to think of it it must have been two completely different books/series because these don't sound consistent at all.

Any of this sound familiar to anybody?

Holy poo poo I just randomly remembered the title of this one, "Veronica Ganz" by Marilyn Sachs

Just bubbled up from the depths of my subconscious while I was on a meeting, wtf

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

Useful Distraction posted:

In Praise of Folly by Thomas Tessier

... Yep, that would be the one. Outstanding. Thanks!

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Data Graham posted:

Holy poo poo I just randomly remembered the title of this one, "Veronica Ganz" by Marilyn Sachs

Just bubbled up from the depths of my subconscious while I was on a meeting, wtf

Veronica Ganz doesn't wear pants!

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Sobatchja Morda posted:

The second book was Dutch or Flemmish, published somewhere in the early nineties or late eighties, and featured a boy who was obsessed with gas stations. A gas station at the edge of his village has just installed a new automatic pump, and the boy is so impressed by the independence and autonomy of this new mechanism that he goes there every day to watch the gas pump. One day he runs away from home, decides to follow his dream, and goes to the gas station to become a pump himself. What follows is some weird chapters where, as the boy's conviction grows, his body slowly starts transforming into a gas pump. He's humanshaped, but shiny and chrome with a pump handle for a right arm. He takes great pride in this transformation and so does the book, which lovingly describes the changing seasons that bring rain and darkness but cannot lay a finger on his metal perfection.

I want to say I just imagined this, but I distinctly remember it being one of the first books that 7 year old Sobatchja didn't want to finish and trying to return it to the school library. But the teacher didn't let you return books until you finished them, so it was back to the old gas pump for me.

HOLY poo poo I DEFINITELY DIDN'T MAKE IT UP

Your memories of it are a bit more clear than mine, it's a shame you don't have plat, i'd love to compare notes.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

there was a cartoon where a kid turns into a car (and the transformation looks like something cronenberg would make, but for kids) so turning into a pump IS weird but still completely imaginable

edit: the parents using their son-pump at the end is both incredibly funny and disgusting

Doktor Avalanche fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Apr 21, 2021

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Trying to remember the name of a short story about a cartographer or geographer who discovers that one person had written a bunch of masterful yet lesser-known monographs on cities around the world under different pen names. Along with the accompanying maps, they capture the soul, history, and culture of these cities. He is obsessed with these books and they become his professional inspiration.

Decades later in his career, he finds one more book and is able to puzzle out the man's identity. He pays a visit to his house and is shown that even in retirement, the master cartographer has been producing exquisite maps of the local area. They talk about the nature of their art and what drives them in their work. I remember the ending is that the man drives home in silence.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
E: quote is not edit

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dell_Zincht posted:

HOLY poo poo I DEFINITELY DIDN'T MAKE IT UP

Your memories of it are a bit more clear than mine, it's a shame you don't have plat, i'd love to compare notes.

Ha, I googled this book, and found your post earlier ITT.

Now I really wanna read this thing.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Every time the gas pump boy comes up in this thread I want to find it, but search results are just other people looking for it on reddit/goodreads/this thread. I’m starting to get Candle Cove vibes from it, honestly.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

wizzardstaff posted:

Every time the gas pump boy comes up in this thread I want to find it, but search results are just other people looking for it on reddit/goodreads/this thread. I’m starting to get Candle Cove vibes from it, honestly.

I was thinking this myself.

I bet if you go ask your parents about that story, they'll laugh about how you used to just look at an empty notebook while you made up all these stories about a boy who turned into a gas pump.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
The gas pump story seems like prime material for Justin Whang's youtube channel; somebody should send him a message about it. I don't think he's covered any lost books but he definitely deals in lost media/weird internet poo poo in general (I should warn that quite a lot of the material is :nws:):

https://youtube.com/c/WhangWhangWhang

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I'm trying to find the name of a science fiction story I recall only dimly, so details may be wrong here.

The main conceit is that a spaceship returning to Earth is in some kind of time loop. I think it keeps exploding and the loop resets. I also think that there's a stowaway involved that causes this somehow. And unless I'm completely mistaken, there's some extra cruel twist at the end where they decide to murder the stowaway to get back safely, but that just throws them into another, worse, time loop?

I know it's not "The Cold Equations".

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

gschmidl posted:

I'm trying to find the name of a science fiction story I recall only dimly, so details may be wrong here.

The main conceit is that a spaceship returning to Earth is in some kind of time loop. I think it keeps exploding and the loop resets. I also think that there's a stowaway involved that causes this somehow. And unless I'm completely mistaken, there's some extra cruel twist at the end where they decide to murder the stowaway to get back safely, but that just throws them into another, worse, time loop?

I know it's not "The Cold Equations".

That sounds a bit like A Little Something For Us Tempunauts by Philip K Dick, but it's not a perfect match.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

froglet posted:

That sounds a bit like A Little Something For Us Tempunauts by Philip K Dick, but it's not a perfect match.

No, that's absolutely it. I don't know where I made up the stowaway, I guess the extra weight is machine parts. Thank you!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
There's one book I read where is a time loop but it's some weird so where the dude has to kill this guy over and over before they go into wasp by popping his odd open so he (the stowaway) didn't die from some weird radiation thing or time thing.

Also, didn't we solve the gas pump earlier in the thread or was that somewhere else online?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
There was a Goodreads thread by people who were also unsuccessfully looking for it.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

A fantasy (maaybe steampunk-ish?) novel, taking place in a big city in a huge cavern. Maybe everything is underground and the surface is deadly or something. Must have read it about 10-15 years ago, and it was fairly new at the time. The protagonist may have been a woman. Pleaae help me

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Biplane posted:

A fantasy (maaybe steampunk-ish?) novel, taking place in a big city in a huge cavern. Maybe everything is underground and the surface is deadly or something. Must have read it about 10-15 years ago, and it was fairly new at the time. The protagonist may have been a woman. Pleaae help me

City of Ember?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Sounds like it could be Mortal Engines

Edit: for some reason I read that multiple times as "big city in a huge CARAVAN" , gonna go lie down

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 27, 2021

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Action Jacktion posted:

City of Ember?

pretty sure it’s gonna end up being this. great book iirc

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Two books I read as a 15+ years ago:

1. Protagonist is transported to a different world, red grass, barbarian like people. At end of book it turns out it is the future and everyone in his world died (to ebola I think but maybe I made that up), and he dedicates the rest of his life to curing ebola.
2. A book where a child moves to a new town or visits a new town. He is spending summer there, coming of age type story. At end of book he finds another missing kid (who I assume was missing but only really remember him finding) in a refrigerator. I think the kid was playing in fridge and either suffocated or was struck by lightning.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I remember one time in like fourth grade I skimmed through a book that a classmate gave a book report on or something, it was a sci-fi-ish sort of thing that took place on some kind of alt-Earth where things were more or less like here but went under different names. Specifically I remember there were “relks” and “gran” which were horses and chickens respectively.

Googling for relks and gran turns up nothing except spelling corrections though lol

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Fritzler posted:

Two books I read as a 15+ years ago:

1. Protagonist is transported to a different world, red grass, barbarian like people. At end of book it turns out it is the future and everyone in his world died (to ebola I think but maybe I made that up), and he dedicates the rest of his life to curing ebola.
2. A book where a child moves to a new town or visits a new town. He is spending summer there, coming of age type story. At end of book he finds another missing kid (who I assume was missing but only really remember him finding) in a refrigerator. I think the kid was playing in fridge and either suffocated or was struck by lightning.

That first one is The Transall Saga by Gary Paulsen.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Data Graham posted:

I remember one time in like fourth grade I skimmed through a book that a classmate gave a book report on or something, it was a sci-fi-ish sort of thing that took place on some kind of alt-Earth where things were more or less like here but went under different names. Specifically I remember there were “relks” and “gran” which were horses and chickens respectively.

Googling for relks and gran turns up nothing except spelling corrections though lol

Double post! Could this be The Boy Who had the Power by Jean Sutton and Jeff Sutton?
'He regarded the relk sorrowfully . Krant pulled the animal up short and barked , “ Bring in the gran . They go to market tomorrow . ” “ Tomorrow ? ” Jedro was appalled . “ I can ' t get them there that soon . "'

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Action Jacktion posted:

City of Ember?

that's not it, even though it ticked like, all the boxes. the one I'm thinking of is pretty dark as I recall and definitely not written for children. But I appreciate the effort!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Biplane posted:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12666103-a-face-like-glass?

YA, technically, but Hardinge tends to be pretty nontypical for YA.