Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

“amazing” is usually reserved for something unexpected
This is like one of those situations where people often misuse "ironic" to mean "exactly as anyone would have expected."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
a TCL series 6 is perfectly happy with you skipping the integrated Roku setup and can do firmware updates via USB so it’s the big dumb hdmi input of your dreams

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
Googles released a writeup on last years Bluetooth exploit.
https://google.github.io/security-research/pocs/linux/bleedingtooth/writeup.html
Timeline has some understated digs at Intel

animist
Aug 28, 2018

mystes posted:

This is like one of those situations where people often misuse "ironic" to mean "exactly as anyone would have expected."

i always find it ironic when people do this

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

mystes posted:

it's like rain on your wedding day

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

whats peoples experience with siems here? anything you like? we are doing some eval right now and have heard some stuff from google chronicle (leery about trusting google with something like this, weird pricing model), alienvault/att (seems alright, we run a small on-prem legacy VM version of alienvault in one colo now but are looking at usm anywhere now), splunk ($$$), qtarget (dont know a ton about them yet), palo alto cortex pro (seems neat but also not quite a siem entirely), but rapid7's insightidr also seems interesting. does anyone have any positive experience with any of these, or thoughts on siems in general?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I quite liked azure sentinel when I used it

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
unless you are going to develop and train a 24/7 security operation or watch floor as part of your ops I favor paying an enterprise managed detection and response where you just ship everything and they run Chronicle or siem and alert and do run books off it.

if still want to proceed the options you listed are fine I am familiar with Chronicle and Splunk. I get the thought on Google but I think the platform is solid.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Hed posted:

unless you are going to develop and train a 24/7 security operation or watch floor as part of your ops I favor paying an enterprise managed detection and response where you just ship everything and they run Chronicle or siem and alert and do run books off it.

if still want to proceed the options you listed are fine I am familiar with Chronicle and Splunk. I get the thought on Google but I think the platform is solid.

Yeah, I think managed detection or at least some sort of shared responsibility model would be best for us. Chronicle from our MSP seems pretty solid. Chronicle's pricing model is also a bit weird (based on seats in your domain instead of eps or data ingress in TB or whatever) but doing the math it actually works out ok. Pricing still works out to be less than Splunk.

I am working on building a security team out at my org but we're pretty far out from having a real SOC much less a 24x7 SOC. I get the case that a SIEM on its own doesnt really do anything, but based on some of the calls I've taken, isn't the SOC just going to be waiting for an alert to come in too? They aren't necessarily actually actively 'watching' our SIEM dashboard 24x7, right? I think I'm going to have some pressure from above to run it on my own, self-managed + a couple days of consulting to tune the alerts will probably end up being like a third of the cost of a managed solution and I know that's going to be attractive to management, but I can acknowledge my limitations here and know I could use some help to make this thing as useful as possible.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Fuckin' hell that accellion breach just keeps going. My SO works at one of the breached bureaucracies, which made me realize that I get to get free credit monitoring (again) because my info is in their benefits system too.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Ansible Adams posted:

whats peoples experience with siems here? anything you like? we are doing some eval right now and have heard some stuff from google chronicle (leery about trusting google with something like this, weird pricing model), alienvault/att (seems alright, we run a small on-prem legacy VM version of alienvault in one colo now but are looking at usm anywhere now), splunk ($$$), qtarget (dont know a ton about them yet), palo alto cortex pro (seems neat but also not quite a siem entirely), but rapid7's insightidr also seems interesting. does anyone have any positive experience with any of these, or thoughts on siems in general?

we've been using humio for a couple years now with their unlimited ingest license and I'm pretty happy with it

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ansible Adams posted:

They aren't necessarily actually actively 'watching' our SIEM dashboard 24x7, right? I think I'm going to have some pressure from above to run it on my own, self-managed + a couple days of consulting to tune the alerts will probably end up being like a third of the cost of a managed solution and I know that's going to be attractive to management, but I can acknowledge my limitations here and know I could use some help to make this thing as useful as possible.
The ones that I’ve dealt with roll in watching the dash, help you set up alerts and work with you to characterize what’s covered and not with MITRE framework or whatever. It’s pretty good for my nom tech companies. I think you should be able to shop and get someone to either take it over or help you transition. I can’t find how much it cost since phone posting but I thought it was really reasonable compared to staffing a monitoring function in house

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

thanks for your advice all, that's helpful.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
fun with planes

quote:

A software mistake caused a Tui flight to take off heavier than expected as female passengers using the title “Miss” were classified as children, an investigation has found.

The departure from Birmingham airport to Majorca with 187 passengers on board was described as a “serious incident” by the Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB).

An update to the airline’s reservation system while its planes were grounded due to the coronavirus pandemic led to 38 passengers on the flight being allocated a child’s “standard weight” of 35kg as opposed to the adult figure of 69kg.

This caused the load sheet – produced for the captain to calculate what inputs are needed for take-off – to state that the Boeing 737 was more than 1,200kg lighter than it actually was.

Investigators described the glitch as “a simple flaw” in an IT system. It was programmed in an unnamed foreign country where the title “Miss” is used for a child and “Ms” for an adult female.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

love their fix:

"The operator subsequently introduced manual checks to ensure adult females were referred to as Ms on relevant documentation."

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

u brexit ukip it posted:

Investigators described the glitch as “a simple flaw” in an IT system. It was programmed in an unnamed foreign country where the title “Miss” is used for a child and “Ms” for an adult female.

which pedophile and/or forced marriage land is it

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
If it's got to work that way you'd imagine they had access to dates of birth

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

how did they make it work for men? trying to work out how much someone weighs based on their name is dumb enough, but i assume they had another more accurate method they were using for men but decided to do this name thing for women only?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Chalks posted:

how did they make it work for men? trying to work out how much someone weighs based on their name is dumb enough, but i assume they had another more accurate method they were using for men but decided to do this name thing for women only?

the way load sheet calculations work is by assuming a standard weight for each passenger + their carry-on luggage, mentour did a p good video on it a little while ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdC-J3fOQn8

basically it's just rules based on gender and age and nothing else

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 9, 2021

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
that's bonkers but i guess if you don't need to be perfect than it's good enough.

i would have never guessed that, though.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

the way load sheet calculations work is by assuming a standard weight for each passenger + their carry-on luggage, mentour did a p good video on it a little while ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdC-J3fOQn8

basically it's just rules based on gender and age and nothing else

but i thought the issue was they were guessing the age based on the women being "miss" or "mrs", which is why they hosed it up so bad - for men surely they had to make the same age calculation but used something more sensible (which would also have been available for the women)?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

that's bonkers but i guess if you don't need to be perfect than it's good enough.

i would have never guessed that, though.

yeah the main goal is just to make sure you don't ever under-estimate it (so lol at this stupid software for loving up what's basically its one important job), with a secondary goal to make sure you don't severely unbalance the plane.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Chalks posted:

but i thought the issue was they were guessing the age based on the women being "miss" or "mrs", which is why they hosed it up so bad - for men surely they had to make the same age calculation but used something more sensible (which would also have been available for the women)?

yeah that's the issue, i was just trying to give context as to how it's normally done

also i'm gonna go ahead and guess the "more sensible" thing is that all the men started with "mr"

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

i'm gonna go ahead and guess the "more sensible" thing is that all the men started with "mr"

but how does that help them judge whether they should use an adult or child weight?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

if mr, man
if ms, woman
else, child

bing bong so easy

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Chalks posted:

but how does that help them judge whether they should use an adult or child weight?

code:
if (name.toLower().startsWith("mr")) {
    if (birthYear < now().year - 18) {
        return "Adult Male";
    } else {
        return "Child";
    }
} else if (name.toLower().startsWith("miss")) {
    // Little Misses are always children so we can save a step!
    return "Child";
} else {
    return "Adult Female";
}

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

talking past each other on this one i think!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

gonna guess it's either that, or it's a massive switch statement that goes through every single possible prefix, which they frantically patch every time they find a new one from a new language or edge case

code:
switch (name.toLower().split(" ")[0]) {
    case "mr":
    case "ms":
    case "mrs":
    case "miss":
    case "mlle": 
    case "hon":
    case "her majesty":
    case "his majesty":
}

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Chalks posted:

talking past each other on this one i think!

nah i get what you're saying. if they had this rule for ladies to determine if they're children, there's no equivalent rule for men, so they would have had to use age or something, so why didn't they just use that for both genders. and while i don't actually know, i can say with certainty that the answer, as always, is Programmers Are Dumb

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Shame Boy posted:

code:
if (name.toLower().startsWith("mr")) {
    if (birthYear < now().year - 18) {
        return "Adult Male";
    } else {
        return "Child";
    }
} else if (name.toLower().startsWith("miss")) {
    // Little Misses are always children so we can save a step!
    return "Child";
} else {
    return "Adult Female";
}

Would it be cheaper to evaluate gender, then if its female just parse on the name instead of doing a math calculation?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

it was interesting to fly on a Cessna Caravan once because the pilot weighed everyone. and assigned seats after doing a bit of math.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

if it was serious enough i'm sure there'll be a more detailed formal report put out by the AAIB that should be a fun read

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

curious as to what the standard weight is for a manchild

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

curious as to what the standard weight is for a manchild

Bout 400lbs

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Didn't the FAA have to increase the standard assumed adult weight a couple decades ago because Americans had gotten a whole lot fatter and it caused a plane to crash on takeoff?

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Shame Boy posted:

nah i get what you're saying. if they had this rule for ladies to determine if they're children, there's no equivalent rule for men, so they would have had to use age or something, so why didn't they just use that for both genders. and while i don't actually know, i can say with certainty that the answer, as always, is Programmers Are Dumb

You are clearly unfamiliar with the line between mister and master.

(ie, that's the male equivalent)

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sassafras posted:

You are clearly unfamiliar with the line between mister and master.

(ie, that's the male equivalent)

please, mister blaster was my father

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
what happens if I'm booking one leg of a world tour for Mr. Mister

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

klosterdev posted:

Didn't the FAA have to increase the standard assumed adult weight a couple decades ago because Americans had gotten a whole lot fatter and it caused a plane to crash on takeoff?

apparently not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

haveblue posted:

what happens if I'm booking one leg of a world tour for Mr. Mister

there’s probably plenty of real people called Miss Mister or Mister Miss