Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I was fortunate with guan yu that the run i got to hades is the one run he just lets you pass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Guan's fine, even strong once fully upgraded (although it doesn't promote quick play- it's one of the rougher weapons to clear the higher levels of Tight Deadline) but whoever decided it needed 15 Titan's Blood to be a usable weapon made a terrible mistake. It's just indefensibly miserable before that point. It's very, very good at safe play tho and it's damage can get spicy with some of the Hammers/Boons.

The one actively useless weapon is Hades spear. Activating the gimmick is tied to it's spin but the spin doesn't even work with the gimmick what the hell? Either you waste hammer upgrades making the spin usable and you lose out on DPS once the gimmick's up because reasons or you use hammers enhancing everything else and the bad base spin hamstrings your ability to exploit it's gimmick.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

As an Hades Spear user, the spin is perfectly usable out of the gate? I can find the time to spin in all situations, on forced overtime 2.

You can't spam the spin, but it's not meant to be spammed and the tag lasts for a while.

Are you spin-dashing? Because I'd understand those complaints if the spin-dash didn't exist, since the static spin is in fact kinda rear end.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I really need to stop leaning on Deflect so much. I had insane DPS on Malphon but died on Hades' second phase because being so close to the beams turned things around for him.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 6, 2021

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

I don't care much for the bow, but last run I had Concentrated Volley on Aspect of Chiron with Doom Special and the upgrade that makes Doom stackable and delayed for more damage.
Base Special Damage + 8x3 for the additional hits, Doom +60% and + 8x 10-15 for the stacks. Everything just melted, it was beautiful.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Omobono posted:

As an Hades Spear user, the spin is perfectly usable out of the gate? I can find the time to spin in all situations, on forced overtime 2.

You can't spam the spin, but it's not meant to be spammed and the tag lasts for a while.

Are you spin-dashing? Because I'd understand those complaints if the spin-dash didn't exist, since the static spin is in fact kinda rear end.

What spin dash

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

SuperKlaus posted:

What spin dash

Hold the attack button to charge up the spin, and then instead of releasing the attack button, press the dash button.

“Hades spear is the worst spear” is... the strangest take I’ve read in here, I think. It’s how I got my first kill on both regular and Extreme Measures 4 Hades.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I think I might have had one or two runs that even remotely focused on the spear's spin attack, and I hated both of them for what it's worth.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah like IDGI if hades spear is bad because you have to alternate spin and stab to use the spin bonus, is achilles spear bad because you have to alternate throw and stab, or is nemesis sword bad because you special to get a crit rate boost on attack, or like are all exagryphs bad because both dakka and grenade have pause times so you don't just use one of them always and forever

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Im quite partial to Achilles spear. Not only is that extra damage super spicy, but i think my brain is wired in the right way to be able to effortlessly incorporate the spear throw dash into my normal rotation of attacks. I love repositioning with it.

I was also one of the 4 ppl that liked that one special dash hammer upgrade for the sword for similar reasons before they redesigned it

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Personally I enjoy (maxed out) Guan Yu! Especially with Winged Serpent (which makes the spin travel a lot longer) and Quick or Massive Spin.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Im quite partial to Achilles spear. Not only is that extra damage super spicy, but i think my brain is wired in the right way to be able to effortlessly incorporate the spear throw dash into my normal rotation of attacks. I love repositioning with it.

I was also one of the 4 ppl that liked that one special dash hammer upgrade for the sword for similar reasons before they redesigned it

I'm whatever on the other Spear aspects but Achilles Spear is one of my favorite weapons in the whole game. That Bull Rush is really good and you can do it from anywhere! It gives the Spear some much-needed speed.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Hades spear is so powerful, and its spin attack so huge, you can basically clear entire rooms in Tartarus with a single attack. Buff it up with Massive Spin or Quick Spin and you have maybe the best AOE in the game.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
drat it, I wanna try all this stuff! I wish the blood farm wasn't so slow!

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Hades aspect's real downfall is that it increases the spear's attack and special damage, and the Spear only has one or two good hammer upgrades to pump more damage in those ways. The spin upgrades are great on it of course. Serrated Point is really the only meaningful way to increase your damage, and it comes with the huge drawback on dash range

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I didn't expect this to even get past Bone Hydra but here we are... calling it Danger Close.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Hazard Bomb made things kinda hairy in those little Styx Temple rooms.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Does anyone have a build they like to target for the Achilles spear? I barely got out of Elysium and Styx was a slow death march ending in Hades' first phase. I feel like even with the rush special I sit still far too much while trying to do a decent amount of damage, whereas with the shield and fists I can cut angles around danger much more easily. The attack speed is also so low that it hampers my usual style of stacking furious amounts of DoT.

A good poster posted:

Hazard Bomb made things kinda hairy in those little Styx Temple rooms.
There were a few where my bomb covered the whole chamber.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 7, 2021

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I've been following the speedrun strategy of focusing on my cast with Aspect of Achilles.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, there aren't that many buffs to Cast damage, so the 150% Cast damage bonus on fully upgraded Aspect of Achilles is actually far bigger deal than it seems at first glance. It's a really good Aspect for Cast builds.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah the Spear has a lot of issues but I think the biggest issue with it is the lack of good Hammers. Like I wasn't a fan of the Bow or Rail at first but they have a lot of juicy upgrade paths that actually made me like the weapon enough.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Just throw the spear. Big numbers.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Spear of Achilles with Ares + Artemis is super OP and also extremely easy and fun to play.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I've got some pretty easy clears just throwing the spear over and over, love that special. I haven't even tried a run built around the spin attack because I really don't like the charge up on it

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Honestly I wish the spin could be the special sometimes because the kind of boon I want on it isn't the same as the attack. The throw often lines up but not always. Anyway that's my post

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Bust Rodd posted:

Spear of Achilles with Ares + Artemis is super OP and also extremely easy and fun to play.

This but Aphro + Ares. But Artemis is probably fun too if you can get Hunting Blades.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I like the Demeter + Aphrodite combo. Both give good percentage damage boosts, and both apply long status effects so that you can have high uptime on the +40% damage mirror talent from having 2 status effects. Plus you end up with a bunch of slow, weak enemies.
Add the Poseidon cast for great aoe interrupts and position control and the Athena deflect dash, and you've got yourself a build that works for almost all of the weapon aspects :discourse:

You can do a similar thing with Ares as others have suggested, but I would only recommend that if you have 2 other status effect you can apply reliably because the Ares effect doesn't last long and you won't get good uptime on the +40% damage. Ares can be particularly good on attacks that bounce to a lot of targets, but I find it pretty weak on boss encounters which is typically what I try to optimize for.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
My one problem with the achilles spear is the +damage charges dont reset if you use the special before using up all the charges

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Vratha is the only weapon where I still die on Theseus and Asterias at 0 Heat.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Choose one. :negative:

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
frantically mashing 'hunting blades'

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I might take Vicious Cycle if I think I'll have another chance at an Ares or Artemis boon, but since you're in Styx it's Hunting Blades baby

Speaking of Duo boons I finally got the Vengeful Mood build up and running. It was alright?

Kind of felt like the Spear was the wrong weapon for this but it was still a PR and now the majority of my runs have been clears, which is neat.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

C-Euro posted:

I might take Vicious Cycle if I think I'll have another chance at an Ares or Artemis boon, but since you're in Styx it's Hunting Blades baby

Speaking of Duo boons I finally got the Vengeful Mood build up and running. It was alright?

Kind of felt like the Spear was the wrong weapon for this but it was still a PR and now the majority of my runs have been clears, which is neat.

Hunting Blades was indeed my choice. Sadly I'm out of practice so the old man wrecked my poo poo because after weeks in VR, I forgot how dodging works.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I dunno if I'll ever actually get good at this game. I've escaped like 10 times, but only by using Glacial Glare, often combined with Crystal Clarity, but once with Lightning Rod. Bosses are a lot easier when you don't need to attack them and can just focus on avoiding their attacks.

On the other hand I think I'm up to giving the dog 100 pets, so obviously I can do the things that count.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Warmachine posted:

Choose one. :negative:

I choose to give up, close my eyes, pick randomly, and accidentally hit the reroll button.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

This owns bones. I never realized that max level Chiron + Low Tolerance is the perfect number of stacks to match each arrow your special fires.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

FINALLY

Immediately after taking this picture, I accidentally hit reroll instead. :doh:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Same

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
So I tried EM3 for the first time :shepface: Held on to all of my Death Defiances in Elysium but by the skin of my teeth.

How are you supposed to win that fight with a melee weapon? I was using the Rail and staying way the hell away from Asterius whenever possible.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Common wisdom is to chase Theseus first. I usually don't do that though, in my experience Theseus is just an annoyance and does very little in the cart so I focus on the real threat and occasionally dash out of the way of his middle rush. If anything he's less annoying in the cart than on foot. Asterius really isn't that different. He has a wave after his jumps to punish diving in right after them, but dodging through still works pretty well and there's still a window to attack.