Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Also, holy poo poo, in slowly realizing how easy it is to pirate. Capturing huge freighters left and right in neutral space from basically everybody. As long as you can still dock with a faction, you might as well be their abusive husband.

Was +19 with TEL, captured one of their builder-ships. Now +17. Lol
Ok that's evil enough I should try it, I mean I've been plucking SCA ships outta space because they keep harrying my traders in Grand Exchange. Fair does, they cost me a couple hundred k credits in wares for my Teleportation research, I will take up to 13mil in stripping down their destroyers and another 3 mil for the hull - I'm also slowly accruing a collection of destroyers so I can purge the Yaki sectors of Xenon. I might only be a scrub industrialist with only 3 stations, and have just started to rationalise my fleet of 30 M Class autominers to a much smaller fleet of L Class station miners but I have a growing Destroyer fleet.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Got a question on station trade restrictions. If I have my station producing hull parts and it's set to only sell excess to my own property, would the station trader only transport the ware to my own stations if they're set to no-restrictions?

Basically, I want to keep some wares transported within my property, while also selling off other wares elsewhere. All on the same station.

If the trader is a station trader, I think it should inherit from the station who it's selling to and limit to just yours. If it's an autotrader, it would be able to buy from there and sell to anyone.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Is there a xenon station sitting somewhere in the distance locking it down?
I've explored so far out, what was the initial sector appears as a tiny dot in the middle when looking at the map - if there is anything, I can't spot it.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Station miners are currently a pain in the rear end. They all work on one resource, fill up the station and their inventory with it, then proceed to use the last 2% of inventory space to mine the next needed resource.

First attempt at workaround: I removed all my miners from the station and set each one to mine a single resource each. they're all set to only sell to my property using blacklists, and my station is set to only buy supplies from my ships. HOWEVER, I'm seeing that the miners are filling up but unable to find where to unload the resources.

This is getting ridiculous. How are you guys dealing with station miners? The only other thing I can think of is to have dedicated stations for each resource, and I don't really want to do that right now. I just want my station to WORK.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Station miners are currently a pain in the rear end. They all work on one resource, fill up the station and their inventory with it, then proceed to use the last 2% of inventory space to mine the next needed resource.

First attempt at workaround: I removed all my miners from the station and set each one to mine a single resource each. they're all set to only sell to my property using blacklists, and my station is set to only buy supplies from my ships. HOWEVER, I'm seeing that the miners are filling up but unable to find where to unload the resources.

This is getting ridiculous. How are you guys dealing with station miners? The only other thing I can think of is to have dedicated stations for each resource, and I don't really want to do that right now. I just want my station to WORK.

I gave up and just put way more miners than reasonable to work for each one; they eventually figure it out and I sell the surplus anyway. People say using repeat orders on specific mining locations then trading wares works but I've never gotten the trade wares option to appear AND work on a repeat order

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Also, holy poo poo, I'm slowly realizing how easy it is to pirate. Capturing huge freighters left and right in neutral space from basically everybody. As long as you can still dock with a faction, you might as well be their abusive husband.

Was +19 with TEL, captured one of their builder-ships. Now +17. Lol

Have a bunch of auto traders working in their space and you'll have that rep back in no time. Then keep stealing. Rinse and repeat. :getin:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

The absolutely stupid amount of miners that I have to assign to my silicon carbide plant is mind boggling. I have 6 carbide plants running on it, and all of the individual miners I had setup plus two hokkaido minerals that I bought thinking "hell L miners should be able to keep this supplied" can't keep up with the silicon to give the station 100% uptime.

Station still prints money.

Also, as a precursor to setting up this station, I built a power station in Mercury. I thought, hey, this station will be able to supply all of the energy to my future stations but I found out, to my amazement, is that vanilla doesn't have a good way to force a ship to go to station A to pick up a ware and deliver it to station B repeatedly. Repeat orders doesn't work well for this either. I see there is a mod specifically for this so I might finally succumb and get it. But in the meantime I got so fed up that I just let the AI fill the automated buy order.

Also also, I can't be in the same sector as my station, because I placed my M docks in such a fashion that any ships trying to dock run into the surrounding modules. It takes ages for stuff to be delivered because the NPCs have to clip through all of the geometry which happens eventually but takes forever. Lesson learned I guess.

Next up, adding a workforce to the plant

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Please stop trundling pirate destroyers into Grand Exchange to gently caress up my traders, Fallen Families

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Please stop trundling pirate destroyers into Grand Exchange to gently caress up my traders, Fallen Families

Where are those fuckers based? I’m technically part of SCA and I hope one I get my first rank with them they’ll leave my poo poo alone but I wanna steal FAFs poo poo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rhjamiz posted:

Where are those fuckers based? I’m technically part of SCA and I hope one I get my first rank with them they’ll leave my poo poo alone but I wanna steal FAFs poo poo.

As far as I can tell, nowhere, they're not associated with the Free Families. They're turbopissed I stole their Rattlesnake but too bad lol. The Teladi were appreciative of it :v:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 8, 2021

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

how can I get pirates to trundle unlimited destroyers at me

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BMan posted:

how can I get pirates to trundle unlimited destroyers at me

Set up some traders for your HQ, its catnip apparently

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

The only ship I’ve lost so far in my game was an HQ trader getting research materials. Seems like an easy way to draw them in.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

or always have a bit expensive trade materials in your ship. somehow, the pirates always home in on you when have something.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Once you have a satellite network, if you set an alert for large SCAs or FAFs you will almost always have a line on a destroyer at all times. They lose their spoof to hack stations among other piratey things that do the same which will ping the alert and let you send a scout to mark them until you get around to capturing them.

E. I don't think their AI is organized in any significant way so I don't know if there's any tricks to get them to hand deliver them to your door step.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Definitely one of the things I want is for pirates to be actually organized as a sub faction like the Yaki are. Let me work with various factions and really delve into piracy proper.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

zedprime posted:

Once you have a satellite network, if you set an alert for large SCAs or FAFs you will almost always have a line on a destroyer at all times. They lose their spoof to hack stations among other piratey things that do the same which will ping the alert and let you send a scout to mark them until you get around to capturing them.

E. I don't think their AI is organized in any significant way so I don't know if there's any tricks to get them to hand deliver them to your door step.

They just end up there anyway in my experience

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
One of the things I'd like in this game is an exploration feature. Gear up a fleet and head off into the unknown for riches and discovery.

Weirdly enough Farnham's Legacy appears to be doing something with exploration, so maybe if it comes off well they'll expand it into X4 as well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really do wish that 1. you could set up different default orders for different groups on a station. i.e I want to blacklist all miners working for the station to a specific sector but I don't want to blacklist all the other ships to the same place, and you can't mass set blacklists otherwise.

And 2. yes I wish the AI was better at picking what to mine.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

And 2. yes I wish the AI was better at picking what to mine.

I'm starting to consider abandoning the idea of "All in One" factories and instead creating resource depots limited to a single mineral or gas, since holy goddamn they are dumb as hell. Literally will not stop mining ice even if we're completely full on ice and empty on ore. I made you dump your cargo and you still went back for more ice.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can set them up to mine using repeat orders but that is very fiddly for the sheer volume of miners you need.

A copy orders button would be fine too, but I don't for the life of me know why mining priority doesn't just try to fill the emptiest storage at the time of departure, because that would allow you to tune your rates by just changing the max storage of various resources with stuff you want more of getting more space and thus greater priority.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Hopefully mining is a priority for upcoming patches. I know it can be fixed, I just hope it's soon.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Jesus christ are you kidding me

So apparently, when mining for a station, miners use the auto-trade script to determine what they need to get. Which means if, for example, you've set ore to never be bought because Obviously you've got miners mining it for you, this sets its priority to low or non existent, which means you miners will prioritize things like, say, ice. Even if you're entirely out of ore and full up on ice.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Set the station to only buy from your ships?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Miners for some insane reason respect the "buy limit" thing yes, it is incredibly stupid and annoying. If you want to stop your station buying minerals you have to set mineral purchases to be restricted to your own faction. I do not know why there is no longer any ability to tell your stations to buy up to a point (if your supply becomes critical) but mine constantly, I am sure it used to work that way.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So Rattlesnakes seem pretty sweet actually

Too bad big ships can't use highways or I'd just live in it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The four main guns and four turrets all being able to be aimed at the thing in front of you is definitely a nice thing yes, very split design, very good at focusing down single targets.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I'm trying setting up a mining depot in Asteroid Belt and having miners as miners and also as traders, with buy orders set to minimum pricing. Wondering if I'm going to encounter the same issue where they keep mining "x" even though storage allocation is full.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mining via trading station is... a bit less than optimal also IME, because you have to use miners to carry the ore to sell this critically means there are no NPC ore traders, only miners, who don't buy from you. So you lose a major benefit of trading stations. I tried it for a while but it wasn't super good, you need a lot of ships to make it work though you could try using the S miners for actually shipping the stuff while you use L and M miners to gather it, if you're really determined.

I would say if you're setting up in terran space you would probably be better off spending money on a production module or trying to scan one, because they use tonnes of minerals. Food and meds are a reliable option and computronic substrate/carbide are solid building materials. Terran ship production uses microlattice but you only need a minute amount to make silicon carbide so I would probably do that last myself, as carbide and computronics can be used to make more station parts and you can buy in a bit of microlattice to make your carbide.

You can completely fill out the terran economy with only a few modules so it's a decent starting goal. Downside is they don't lose a lot of ships so they aren't the best cash cow unless for some reason they end up in a big war.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I tried to set up such a station, but my traders decided to buy wares from the trade station and then sell them back.

Great throughput, terrible efficiency.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're going to set up a trade station I think you need to fix one or both of your prices, yes, if only because otherwise it will buy expensive when empty, fill the storage, and sell cheap once it fills up. But I suppose it could also conceivably mean it sells to itself.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It's probably preventable if I set the buying price of ore to max and restrict it to only my faction, then I can set the sell price to whatever I want without having enterprising traders notice that great profit opportunity.

I've also found that it's easier to make large complexes if I set the default blacklist for all stations to forbid trading with absolutely everyone including me. I've had traders ship 20 units of spices across the galaxy because I didn't restrict intermediary trading…

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Lots of activity in the thread lately i noticed... as someone who hasn't played since since launch and dropping it after 30 hours because it was a lifeless husk of a game... How is it nowadays? Any of the dlcs a real gamechanger?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

So Rattlesnakes seem pretty sweet actually

Too bad big ships can't use highways or I'd just live in it
The trick is to use the NoSuperHighways mod, that way no ships get to use them.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

Lots of activity in the thread lately i noticed... as someone who hasn't played since since launch and dropping it after 30 hours because it was a lifeless husk of a game... How is it nowadays? Any of the dlcs a real gamechanger?

You do still have to make your own fun if you don't inherently enjoy spreadsheet simulator, but the DLCs did add a couple of new plots that allow you to change the end-state of the universe at conclusion (basically forming alliances / starting wars).

OwlFancier posted:

Mining via trading station is... a bit less than optimal also IME, because you have to use miners to carry the ore to sell this critically means there are no NPC ore traders, only miners, who don't buy from you. So you lose a major benefit of trading stations. I tried it for a while but it wasn't super good, you need a lot of ships to make it work though you could try using the S miners for actually shipping the stuff while you use L and M miners to gather it, if you're really determined.

I would say if you're setting up in terran space you would probably be better off spending money on a production module or trying to scan one, because they use tonnes of minerals. Food and meds are a reliable option and computronic substrate/carbide are solid building materials. Terran ship production uses microlattice but you only need a minute amount to make silicon carbide so I would probably do that last myself, as carbide and computronics can be used to make more station parts and you can buy in a bit of microlattice to make your carbide.

You can completely fill out the terran economy with only a few modules so it's a decent starting goal. Downside is they don't lose a lot of ships so they aren't the best cash cow unless for some reason they end up in a big war.

So I set it up because I wanted to A) bypass the 3-star grind to get decent automine range (I'm using learning all the things mod and it's still interminable), and B) have my production complexes fill up on all mining resources properly instead of the manager doing the weird thing where its still telling miners to mine a resource that is full, and not the resource that is needed.

So far it seems to be working pretty well, actually! I moved 10 gas and 10 mineral station miners to feed this mining trade station, and then 5+5 selling, all M bolos. I set my own stations to only buy mining resources from myself, and then set max price. Now the trader-miners will prefer my compustrate, microlattice, and carbide complexes next door in Mars before selling off to sell the rest to whoever.

I read about this idea on the X4 subreddit and thought it was cool and it's working better than I expected. Cleans up my Asteroid Belt separate liquid / solid autominer fleets, too. It's only been going a couple of hours now but I'm making profit and that's with still buying the resources at minimum price (you have to set up buy orders to get your miners to mine, and you also have to set up a sell order to get them to sell, afaict).

I don't think I've yet seen one of the traders buy from my station and then sell it back to the station yet, but honestly I haven't been watching it that closely.

I'm aware that from an efficiency standpoint it adds in two extra steps (mine-->deposit-->collect-->sell vs mine-->sell) but it's quicker to get a fleet feeding nearby stations since the managers level much faster for that 5 jump range. And no more (hopefully, anyway) dealing with dumbass station managers on the production complexes.

I could have just stuck all the complexes in Asteroid Belt and had a fleet of sector automine, but I like having some FPS.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 9, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I don't understand why people say you have to make your own fun, especially in X4.
There are huge quest-/plot-lines that the game both ships with and has had added in both expansions - it's just that unlike other games, X4 doesn't hold your hand to get you to the quests, and you have to seek them out yourself.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I only played roughly 30 hours at launch, the game had no quests at all except "hey heres a free player HQ in a really terrible sector, enjoy"
Everything was broken and half baked especially the UI.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

So I set it up because I wanted to A) bypass the 3-star grind to get decent automine range (I'm using learning all the things mod and it's still interminable), and B) have my production complexes fill up on all mining resources properly instead of the manager doing the weird thing where its still telling miners to mine a resource that is full, and not the resource that is needed.

So far it seems to be working pretty well, actually! I moved 10 gas and 10 mineral station miners to feed this mining trade station, and then 5+5 selling, all M bolos. I set my own stations to only buy mining resources from myself, and then set max price. Now the trader-miners will prefer my compustrate, microlattice, and carbide complexes next door in Mars before selling off to sell the rest to whoever.

I read about this idea on the X4 subreddit and thought it was cool and it's working better than I expected. Cleans up my Asteroid Belt separate liquid / solid autominer fleets, too. It's only been going a couple of hours now but I'm making profit and that's with still buying the resources at minimum price (you have to set up buy orders to get your miners to mine, and you also have to set up a sell order to get them to sell, afaict).

I don't think I've yet seen one of the traders buy from my station and then sell it back to the station yet, but honestly I haven't been watching it that closely.

I'm aware that from an efficiency standpoint it adds in two extra steps (mine-->deposit-->collect-->sell vs mine-->sell) but it's quicker to get a fleet feeding nearby stations since the managers level much faster for that 5 jump range. And no more (hopefully, anyway) dealing with dumbass station managers on the production complexes.

I'm glad it's working out for you at least, and yeah the extra jump range from the manager is certainly a plus if you can afford the extra miners. I suppose terran space probably works better too precisely because they have such a high raw mineral demand and every station needs it.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I don't understand why people say you have to make your own fun, especially in X4.
There are huge quest-/plot-lines that the game both ships with and has had added in both expansions - it's just that unlike other games, X4 doesn't hold your hand to get you to the quests, and you have to seek them out yourself.

I mean, I like the quests myself, but, at least to me, the bulk of the game doesn't come from playing the quests. So if you don't like the basic gameplay of cool rear end space ships, big rear end fleets, spreadsheeting out the rear end economics, and dog rear end fps in huge battles, I don't know that the dlcs really added anything else. It's more, but it's more of the same if you bounced off it hard pre-dlc.

FrickenMoron posted:

I only played roughly 30 hours at launch, the game had no quests at all except "hey heres a free player HQ in a really terrible sector, enjoy"
Everything was broken and half baked especially the UI.

Depends why you bounced off the game. 30 hours isn't much to be honest. Like, did you get to station building? Fleet building? Start any of the quests? etc.

If you bounced off for the bugs and jank, it has been improved quite a lot, but still retains distinct Egosoft touches. If you wanted plot, the base game does have big plots that do allow you to shape the universe, and the dlcs have added 2 more big ones. But as BlankSystemDaemon said, the game doesn't hold your hand and you have to seek this stuff out and really get into the universe and do some Xplorin'.

I suppose that's what I meant by making your own fun.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I'm having fun with my new Terran save, got four stations up and running (the requisite Mercury solar power plant, another one in Brennan's Triumph, a microlattice factory in the Asteroid Belt and a silicon carbide factory in Mars). Plus the PHQ in Grand Exchange (though I think in the long run I'll teleport it to Earth, more for roleplay purposes than anything else)

Just trying to hit the point where the money starts flowing in faster than I can spend it and I can start obliterating the economy. Will probably do a second set of factories in the Oort Cloud to supply that side of Sol, then expand out into Commonwealth space with Commonwealth wares.

"Shadowing Heavy Industries- Your ethical source for wares. We're not trying to conquer the entire galaxy. Yet."