Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

bull3964 posted:

I haven't watched the new cut of JL yet, but do they explain why Clark Kent is suddenly no longer dead because superman isn't anymore?

He was just replaced by ace reporter Klark Cent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aunt May hated the poo poo out of Spider-man and had a heart condition, that was a pretty good reason not to tell her he's risking his life constantly doing something she hates in the comics. There was so much good drama with Peter worrying about her health and the bills and supervillains threatening him and trying not to worry her through it all. Those comics are a master class in dramatic storytelling with all these plates spinning in the air, and you're genuinely convinced they might all come crashing down any second even though you know for a fact they won't.

Man, gently caress those Tom Holland movies.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

bull3964 posted:

I also tire of the secret identity conflict that DC has hung on to. I found it refreshing that the MCU largely dispensed of this. In the era where everything is recorded and people pour over every detail of media, there's no way someone hasn't ID'd batman or superman in like 3 days.

I never really liked the whole "I can't tell my loved ones or I'll put them in danger!" trope because gaslighting those closest to you isn't really the best way to protect them. It's never made sense. Them knowing doesn't put them in danger unless the bad guy also knows and if the bad guy knows, it doesn't matter if they loved one knows, they are still a target (they just don't know why.)

https://twitter.com/highonpotenuse1/status/1170328913119236101?s=20

:shrug:

One time a good friend dyed his hair (and eyebrows) blonde and I didn't recognize him at all. We all suffer from GoonFaceBlindness, is it really that farfetched?

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Doom2020! posted:

I watched that thing all the way at least 3 times and know a thread with a decent amount of traffic. I know we are goons and all but can't imagine that many checked it out only to nope. Maybe I'm wrong and just don't want the whedon cut to be proven right.

I think that stat about only 15-20% finish any video game applies to a lot of media. People dip in pause and never come back to lots of things.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

https://twitter.com/highonpotenuse1/status/1170328913119236101?s=20

:shrug:

One time a good friend dyed his hair (and eyebrows) blonde and I didn't recognize him at all. We all suffer from GoonFaceBlindness, is it really that farfetched?

Some years back I had to start wearing my glasses again. This coincided with a fresh haircut and none of my customers recognized me. A few years later I lost 65 pounds and started wearing my contacts again and it was the same experience all over again.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Man, gently caress those Tom Holland movies.

What's wrong with Iron Man Jr.??? They even got Betty Brant on screen for several seconds (but only several seconds since any longer would have taken away from robo-suit antics)

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Holy wow yeah she does look extremely different there, though I don't think it's just the lack of glasses and hair. Like maybe the lighting and angle are also making her look extra different

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Tim Drake did it at 9.

Bane seeing Bruce Wayne for 5 seconds on the tv: him, obviously, everyone can see it right?

I read the novelisation of the comic

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Simone Magus posted:

Holy wow yeah she does look extremely different there, though I don't think it's just the lack of glasses and hair. Like maybe the lighting and angle are also making her look extra different

When Kent stands up straight he gets 2 inches taller, thus giving his face a different angle and lighting conditions. Checkmate.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
probably a different focal length on those photos too. it's incredible how much that can change a face between two specific photos

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Aardvark! posted:

probably a different focal length on those photos too. it's incredible how much that can change a face between two specific photos

Oooo that could be a Lifetime movie:

Focal Phocal Length - the tale of an extremely attractive man that is striking out with online dating because phone camera focal lengths make him an uggo.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 8, 2021

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

Oooo that could be a Lifetime movie:

Focal Length - the tale of an extremely attractive man that is striking out with online dating because phone camera focal lengths make him an uggo.

I mean that's such a mundanely common thing though. Selfies in your profile aren't discouraged for purely philosophical reasons. A picture taken that close can make your jawline and profile subtly different and unnerving.

Basically I wouldn't want a full movie for this. We can cover it in a single Seinfeld episode.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Superman vibrates his face at super speed.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Rhyno posted:

Superman vibrates his face at super speed.

That explains it. Clark Kent's constant trembling is not from fear, no, but from having to hide his identity.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
There's no need to make it more complicated than it is:

Clark Kent tells people he works for print media in the 21st century and they literally block out his entire existence as irrelevant. The end.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ah of course, Kryptonian plexiglass.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I see this picture is also vibrating slightly as to not be recognized.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Surprisingly CBS canceled the remake of MacGyver.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

GreenNight posted:

Surprisingly CBS canceled the remake of MacGyver.

I’m more surprised it was on season 5. I thought that just started a year or two ago.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m more surprised it was on season 5.

Wait, what!?

Who's been loving with time?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mulva posted:

There's no need to make it more complicated than it is:

Clark Kent tells people he works for print media in the 21st century and they literally block out his entire existence as irrelevant. The end.

Perry White as a Matt Yglesias-style blue checkmark on Twitter.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

bull3964 posted:

Wait, what!?

Who's been loving with time?

ya I read it was canceled and thought "wow, CBS killed that show after only one season?"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Each season was like 20 episodes too. The original show runner got fired last year for a toxic work environment. And now it’s canceled.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I’m more surprised it was on season 5. I thought that just started a year or two ago.

What the gently caress

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Are you guys thinking of Magnum PI? That started in 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

Are you guys thinking of Magnum PI? That started in 2018

No, I seriously thought the MacGuyver reboot was a very recent, like early 2020/late 2019 thing.

I didn’t even know there’s a magnum pi reboot.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah it was a whole 80s revival thing along with the Hawaii 5-0 reboot. I only know about Hawaii 5-0 because when the asian cast members wanted equal pay they were fired or ignored.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The only reason I'm not right there with you is how unreasonably mad I was that they tried to remake MacGyver in the first place. Might as well try to remake Seinfeld with some random jackoff instead of Jerry Seinfeld. MacGyver is Richard Dean Anderson.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Me too

Powerful Mandela effect here

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I've seen a few TikToks of people replicating his inventions so I was pretty sure it was on for a bit and relatively popular. Would have guessed 3 years, not 5 though.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

IRQ posted:

The only reason I'm not right there with you is how unreasonably mad I was that they tried to remake MacGyver in the first place. Might as well try to remake Seinfeld with some random jackoff instead of Jerry Seinfeld. MacGyver is Richard Dean Anderson.

Iunno, if the guy could actually act it might be an improvement. Now random jackoffs instead of the other three...

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
My parents watched the MacGuyver remake a lot so I caught a few episodes here and there. I didn't think it was bad, kind of reminded me of Bones a little bit.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

As long as the MacGruber show lives on, all is ok.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Incidentally, the original MacGyver series has been remastered in 1080p. I couldn't even find a version better than 360p a few years ago, so I'm really glad for that. I watched a few episodes of it on TVLand in the sixth grade, and I don't remember much of it. I remember there was one episode where he was tied to a chair at a dinner table with a brass cupid centerpiece, holding back a cyanide-tipped arrow to be released when a candle finished burning through a rope

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Pluto TV needs to get on that remastered version. The episodes they show are horrific quality.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm not sure I need to see anything that this year to know that Godzilla Vs. Kong should get the Academy Award for best VFX.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

bull3964 posted:

I'm not sure I need to see anything that this year to know that Godzilla Vs. Kong should get the Academy Award for best VFX.

I have hopes for Mortal Kombat, the trailer's FX looked great.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Chad's pretty funny, but it's definitely a cringe comedy.

I won't lie, part of the joy of the show is watching reddit idiots have meltdowns over the idea of the thing even existing, but I think I'd enjoy it all the same.

Check it oouuut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Open Source Idiom posted:

Chad's pretty funny, but it's definitely a cringe comedy.

I really liked the pilot yeah