Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I prefer my "just shove 'em all in a record cabinet with no organization at all" method. It forces me to hunt a bit for a movie when I want to watch it, and also gives me ideas for what I might want to watch next. I usually come out of the record cabinet with a small stack of titles to put next to my TV. Makes it into a process of discovery.

If I had more than ~200 discs this would probably not work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Liar Lyre posted:

I’ve debated going full aesthetic chaos and organizing my stuff by spine color.

Sort reverse-alphabetical by the second letter of the gaffer’s last name.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm ripping all my blurays to my NAS now, and throwing the disks in the basement. They play in Kodi just fine, although without the menus for now.

I should be done with the conversion in roughly a few months, lol.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have a very complicated blend of genre, era, creator, franchise, and my interest that borders precipitously on "system" and "chaos".

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I have a seed of a crazy idea in my head that I'm trying to figure out, which is to organize my collection chronologically. I tend to get into moods where I want to watch a movie from a certain time period so it would be cool to have them arranged that way on the shelf.

Of course, there are complications with that and I'm still trying to work out how I'll handle certain box sets, but I can probably just have a special shelf dedicated to stuff like that. Anyway to be honest I enjoy re-arranging my collection about once a year anyway, it's fun.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

IUG posted:

I'm ripping all my blurays to my NAS now, and throwing the disks in the basement. They play in Kodi just fine, although without the menus for now.

I hope you rip them losslessly?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

I have a seed of a crazy idea in my head that I'm trying to figure out, which is to organize my collection chronologically. I tend to get into moods where I want to watch a movie from a certain time period so it would be cool to have them arranged that way on the shelf.

Of course, there are complications with that and I'm still trying to work out how I'll handle certain box sets, but I can probably just have a special shelf dedicated to stuff like that. Anyway to be honest I enjoy re-arranging my collection about once a year anyway, it's fun.

Its like my horror section goes like this.

Shelf 1: Universal, Hammer, Price, Romero, Kong, Godzilla... anything "classic" or associated.
Shelf 2: Carpenter, Craven, King... my favorites, the ones i grew up with.
Shelf 3: Assorted 70s/80s.
Shelf 4: Assorted 90s/2000s.
Shelf 5: Assorted others like mega packs or Masters of Horror.

Its messy. Somehow Peter Jackson's Kong, Godzilla '14, and Skull Island all sit next to the classics on Shelf 1. Cloverfield moves back and forth. Jason ends up with my favorites even though I hate him because Freddy vs Jason kind of demands it. Shelfs 3 and 4 are starting to expand to 5. Its ever changing and kind of alive but it works for me and I almost always know where to find something.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Everything in my Blu-ray / UHD collection is in alphabetical order. Sequels go after the previous movie (Dawn and Day of the Dead go after Night, Army of Darkness goes after Evil Dead 2). I'm mixing Blu-rays and UHDs together. Any DVDs I still have are separated, and are sorted by the label or genre. So my Impulse Pictures Nikkatsu releases are in order of their spine number, my Mondo Macabro discs are in alpha order, I have my animated series like King of the Hill and The Simpsons in season order, 90s Nickelodeon series are on a different shelf. Basically, I'm insane. Back when the world hadn't ended and I had people come over, they would see the shelves of movies and get excited, then they'd look at the titles and all I would hear is, "What's this? I haven't heard of this... Doom Asylum? Microwave Massacre? The New York Ripper? Why is every movie in your collection awful?"

Just for fun, my CDs are in alpha order by band, then release date, then reissues afterwards. What kind of monster puts the 2009 reissue of Morbid Angel - Blessed are the Sick next to the original 1991 pressing that I saved my weekly allowance money to buy?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

each shelf in mine is organized by genre and then alphabetized. You can tell which genre i favor more because its practically spilling off the shelf.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
High fidelity taught me auto-biographical is the superior organization strategy.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If I were to actually get a proper shelf, I'd definitely do it by mood/vibe, with sub-categories by era. This shelf is for when I wanna watch fun trash from the 50s, this shelf is for fun trash from the 60s, this shelf is for fun trash from the 70s...

Okay, maybe it's less effective when most of what you own just fits into one vibe...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

If I were to actually get a proper shelf, I'd definitely do it by mood/vibe, with sub-categories by era. This shelf is for when I wanna watch fun trash from the 50s, this shelf is for fun trash from the 60s, this shelf is for fun trash from the 70s...

Okay, maybe it's less effective when most of what you own just fits into one vibe...

I also find myself wanting to watch fun trash like 80% of the time, and I've toyed with the idea of having one shelf that I'd call like the "Midnight Drive-In" shelf. It wouldn't really be a coherent criteria just stuff that I personally like to watch in the middle of the night when I probably should go to sleep. Bruce Lee, Ray Harryhausen, slashers, stupid 80's comedies, stuff like that. Not that Bruce Lee and Harryhausen are trash, but you get the idea.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Purchase date. Let chaos reign.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I organize my movies by frame rate.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
You guys are making me want to organize my media collection now. I'm thinking of maybe even... mixing the DVDs and blu rays together!

I'll probably start by just tossing everything on the floor in a big pile and trying to find patterns. Maybe I'll bust out a corkboard and yarn and pin slipcovers and art inserts to it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

I hope you rip them losslessly?

I'm using MakeMKV, so it's everything but the encryption as far as I know.

Then I can browse it all in Kodi in whatever order I want without all this pain in the rear end moving physical disks around!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Conspiracy board is definitely the best organizational method.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

King Vidiot posted:

You guys are making me want to organize my media collection now. I'm thinking of maybe even... mixing the DVDs and blu rays together!

I'll probably start by just tossing everything on the floor in a big pile and trying to find patterns. Maybe I'll bust out a corkboard and yarn and pin slipcovers and art inserts to it.

I'm planning to do this when I get home. Just pull everything off the shelf, pour a whiskey and see where the evening takes me.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

IUG posted:

This was my pandemic project, only I ripped all of my DVDs to...make more room for my Blu-rays.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Iron Crowned posted:

The couple of movies in there I'd actually want, I'd just buy individually.

They're counting on people who would just buy it because it's a whole bunch of movies for a relatively low price and they've seen most of them at least once.

Basebf555 posted:

Those random box sets are like the one thing I can't deal with because it completely busts my shelving system. I need to have the ability to file individual films by alphabetical order. Without that, it's complete chaos. I do have some varied sets but there's always a common theme to file them by, like my Vincent Price sets obviously go in the P section for Price, stuff like that. Hammer Horror sets go under H. I guess a WB set could go under W?

Put all your boxsets in one spot rather than putting them in the same row as single movies and then alphabetize them by title.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I made boutique blu-ray label tier list thingy. Go nuts

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

because i dont recognize a lot of these

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
AGFA is clearly S-tier and Severin is F-tier

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Kino Lorber earned their S-Tier with this release

Thursday night plans is a wrap.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

dorium posted:

What is this Eureka slander? They have a ton of good stuff, hell their Wheels on Meals release alone should put them a tier at the least.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

Criterion isn't in the top row? :frogout:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Here's mine. Any I didn't already know, I looked them up and made a snap judgement of killer-to-filler:

A few of them were unreadable and unrecognizable, I didn't even know how to go about looking them up so :shrug:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tiermaker is that good of a label?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Like I said I dont know a lot of these.

and yes, Criterion is A-Tier.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I didn't know Indicator, 88, Code Red, Ronin, FCE or Olive, plus the other three where I couldn't even tell what the logo said. AGFA might be tier A instead, otherwise I'm happy with my rankings.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

King Vidiot posted:

I didn't know Indicator, 88, Code Red, Ronin, FCE or Olive, plus the other three where I couldn't even tell what the logo said. AGFA might be tier A instead, otherwise I'm happy with my rankings.

FCE (Fun City Editions) has quickly become one of my favorites just for releasing Alphabet City. Everyone should grab that the next VS sale.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
88 does a lot of giallo and martial arts stuff, but iirc they’re a region 2 company. I’ve got their early Jackie Chan stuff and a handful of other misc. crap. They’re not Criterion-level releases, but they’re solid enough, maybe a tier below Arrow or Shout.

Their biggest drawback is their catalog, it’s a lot of super obscure stuff or early films from big actors or directors that isn’t all that notable. I wanna say they have a handful of Troma releases too?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

If Vinegar Syndrome hadn't released Tammy and the T-Rex I would be forced to put them in the D tier until they released it.

Consider yourself lucky, Vinegar Syndrome.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
VinSyn released Christmas Evil, that’s an automatic s-tier qualification.

Also all the Rudy Ray Moore blus, I mean come on.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Everyone always forgets about Second Run. :(

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

VinSyn released Christmas Evil, that’s an automatic s-tier qualification.

Also all the Rudy Ray Moore blus, I mean come on.

Don't you remember my posting gimmick protest against Vinegar Syndrome?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

CPL593H posted:

Don't you remember my posting gimmick protest against Vinegar Syndrome?

We don’t have a Christmas Evil 4k yet, so I’m gonna need you to post harder from now on

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

We don’t have a Christmas Evil 4k yet, so I’m gonna need you to post harder from now on

I doubt that movie would benefit from that.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

dorium posted:

No Arrow?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

That’s my bad. The logo didn’t import properly. They’re at least an A-rank, probably an S-rank.