Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Welcome to Mafia in Margaritaville. This is a 13 15-player game of mafia set in a dystopian, post-apocalyptic world based on Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville. This game should overall be pretty straightforward, but the roles are gonna be weird. Please join!

In the year 2023 AD, the earth has been ravaged by climate change. Rapidly increasing sea levels have caused life to adapt in strange new ways: the surface of this newly blue world is dotted with sentient boats.

Earth’s sole remaining city, Margaritaville, is a utopian state where boats and humans live in harmony. Some said this dream was impossible, yet it lives on, despite the foul intentions of its exiled former ruler who seeks to enslave and exploit all of boatkind.

Pictured: an artist's rendering of Margaritaville, the last remaining city on Earth

Each year, as the king tide reaches its apex, the floating city fills with boats seeking a captain, and with captains seeking a boat - the Great Floatation. This ritual is as old as time, or at least, as old as a few years of time.

The day of the Great Floatation has come again. The narrow canals of the city swarm with Captains enjoying cheeseburgers in paradise and Boats doing Boat Stuff. The National Anthem of Margaritaville fills the city at a pretty chill volume level.

Without warning, the dulcet tones of Rupert Holmes are quickly interrupted by an abrupt scratch, totally killing the vibe.

A new voice blares.

The Dread King Jimmy Buffet Jr. posted:

Citizens of Margaritaville: it is I, the Dread King Jimmy Buffet Jr. Too long has this city been stripped from my grasp. I will soon sip from the salty, lime-scented King’s Chalice once again. For years, I've been building a secret armada to infiltrate the Great Floatation and retake this once-great city from the inside. Now, the time has finally come, and for reasons I don't fully understand I am publicly telling you about it.

It is up to you, players, to ferret out the Dread King’s hidden armada from amongst you, and to save Margaritaville from the forces that would deprive it of its free nachos from 4 to 6:30 on Tuesdays (there is an additional charge for sour cream and guac). Good luck!

mega dy fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

IMPORTANT GAME INFO
  • Please do not sign up for this game if you cannot make meaningful contributions to it.
  • Days end on a majority vote (50%+1) of the players. If that threshold is not reached, no player will be exiled.
  • Lurking in this game will have grave consequences and could negatively impact your team.
  • This game will include real-time events. Players who are actively monitoring the thread may have an advantage.
  • No player can perform two actions on one night unless specifically granted that ability. In general, powers are active - ie, a Godfather cannot investigate as town the same night they perform a nightkill.
  • If your role allows you to do something public during the day, post the command in bold. For example: ##kill dy. If you post a fake day action, you will get modkilled. If someone performs a day action of any kind, STOP POSTING until flavor is posted by a mod.

FACTIONS & FLIPS
  • Cardflip is on and will be in the following format: Name, Role Name (Alignment)
  • There are two factions in this game: town and scum. That's it. The two following win conditions are the only ones in the game.
  • TOWN WIN CONDITION: You win the game when all threats to the town have been eliminated.
  • SCUM WIN CONDITION: You win the game when the scum have achieved unassailable dominance of the town.

THE BORING RULES
  • I know that things get a little testy in mafia, but let's try to generally be respectful and cool and keep positive vibes, OK?
  • No editing posts. Evidence of editing is grounds for a modkill. Ninja edits will be ignored, but edit at your own peril.
  • No communicating outside of the thread unless authorized by your PM.
  • No publishing any verbatim mod communication unless specifically approved by me.
  • Don't post after the hammer.

NOTES ON BOATS

:eng101: How do BOATs work?

In general, there are two types of roles in this game: :sureboat: BOATs (Boats of All Trades) and :pirate: Captains (boat drivers).

A :sureboat: BOAT chooses an action to perform and a player to act as its Captain.
A :pirate: Captain will target a BOAT to pilot, and a target player, and if chosen by a BOAT, that player will be the target of the BOAT action.

:captainpop: Further details may be role-dependent.

The holy union between BOAT and Captain requires trust. The BOAT chooses the action and the Captain chooses the target. When the BOAT and the Captain unite, magic happens.

In terms of results:
  • Both the BOAT and the Captain will know whether the union was successful or not.
  • The BOAT will know whether the outcome of their action but not who the target was.
  • The Captain will where they went but not what the action was.
In general, BOATs are in the dark about the target and Captains are in the dark about the action.

For example:

BOAT chooses to roleblock and selects Nemo as its Captain. Nemo chooses the BOAT as its BOAT and targets Dread King Jimmy Buffet Jr. BOAT receives a PM that they successfully roleblocked. Nemo receives a PM that they successfully Captained the BOAT.

(this is just a general example and individual roles may work slightly differently

mega dy fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 12, 2021

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

DISCORD

STILL CRUISIN' THE HIGH SEAS
  1. CCKeane
  2. Chili
  3. Dead Cow
  4. Dhaes
  5. Grandicap (He, Him)
  6. Hal Insandenza (he/him/hal)
  7. merk (he/him)
  8. Mr. Humalong (w/e)
  9. Mr. Steak (he/him)
  10. Philip J. Fry
  11. Sandwolf (He/Him)
  12. Squiggly
  13. Voodoofly (He/Him/Whatever)

CAPTAIN'S LOG
  • Day 1 begins.
  • b-minus1, The All Hallow’s Eve (Scum-aligned Ghost BOAT) executed.
  • ilmucche, Captain Deray Sullivan (Town-aligned Fake Captain) killed.
  • wins32767, Fortune’s Favor (Town-aligned Sinking BOAT) sank beneath the waves.
  • Day 2 begins.

mega dy fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 15, 2021

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I’ll read all this nonsense later; in

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Would I have to be active on discord or just in the thread?

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

ilmucche posted:

Would I have to be active on discord or just in the thread?
All in-game stuff will happen in the thread - there will be no aspect of this game on Discord. I will probably just leave it up to the scum to set up their own communication unless they need help.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

I’m in.

What happens if someone is targeted by two Boats?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Voodoofly posted:

I’m in.

??? It’s a boat party Voodoo

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Voodoofly posted:

I’m in.

It's ok the waves wash the blood off

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

I just wanted to know if a captain becomes an admiral if two boats pick the captain that night.

Admiral Voodoodly.

The Commodore to his friends.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I will join the good ship lifestyle
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryu3b6dPQ_s

I elect me.. the captain

vote sandwolf

Will we know who the captains and boats are?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

I shall finally be the boat that dreams from a hill!

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Also I'm seat-of-the-pantsing this taking time to carefully balance every detail and I haven't written all of the role flavor stuff yet so if you want to be a specific boat or captain please let me know privately and I will do my best to accommodate you.

This thread is now about roleplaying boats / boat captains.

Voodoofly posted:

I’m in.

:iiam:

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
I am a old timey river boat chugging away to the sweet sound of Paul Robeson

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
I will also accept the role of Captain Tom Hanks

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I will play.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

ok!

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
Does anyone have chili's info he played avengers mafia I feel like he should join this one too

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Squiggly posted:

Does anyone have chili's info he played avengers mafia I feel like he should join this one too

YAHAR, avast ye, I thereby secreted the information to ye, be it upon the gentle waves of discord

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Sandwolf posted:

YAHAR, avast ye, I thereby secreted the information to ye, be it upon the gentle waves of discord

I AM THE CAPTAIN OF THE DISCORD NOW

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Ugh. I really, really want to play but I think there are better than fair odds that my job will kick my rear end in the next month.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
I was gonna play.

But nevermind

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Also I'm Steamboat Chili, both as a boat and a captain.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Me

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Chili, get Fry to play.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Chili posted:

I was gonna play.

But nevermind

Cold blooded.

I missed you too

Philip J. Fry
Jan 3, 2009

What smells like blue?

Yo.

##vote merk

Philip J. Fry fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 9, 2021

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Voodoofly posted:

Cold blooded.

I missed you too

Mad love for you

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Oh gently caress it. If Fry is in, so am I.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

wins if you're worried that work is gonna take over and you won't be able to regularly contribute I can figure out a way to give you maybe a special role that is less involved.

I would super love to have you in the game but please don't join and lurk.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Can I join.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Right before the pandemic hit I went to the Escape from Margaritaville show and it was pleasantly terrible so I am excited for some great Buffet-related flavor

Also to play with all these old players, I was just about to run a game where I invited old people back but I am even happier to play in one

Thanks dy.!

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Hal Insandenza posted:

Right before the pandemic hit I went to the Escape from Margaritaville show and it was pleasantly terrible so I am excited for some great Buffet-related flavor

Also to play with all these old players, I was just about to run a game where I invited old people back but I am even happier to play in one

Thanks dy.!
For sure!

Spoiler alert: I kind of hate Jimmy Buffet but I drove by a Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville restaurant (there is one in my town) the other day and it somehow Inceptioned me into making this game, about sentient boats. Life is weird.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Philip J. Fry posted:

Yo.

##vote merk

:captainpop:

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

There is a margaritaville in the bay?

Also I’m still upset I completely blanked on you moving out there when I was still in the Bay Area. I assume it was 2017ish because it would have been when my son was born and then dad passed and it was a strange year just trying to stay afloat with things.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

dy. posted:

wins if you're worried that work is gonna take over and you won't be able to regularly contribute I can figure out a way to give you maybe a special role that is less involved.

Special role then please.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
FYI I am going to be on vacation all of next week drinking margaritas however that won’t stop me from nailing the entire scumteam by d2

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

b-minus1 posted:

FYI I am going to be on vacation all of next week drinking margaritas however that won’t stop me from nailing the entire scumteam by d2
While I admire your commitment to the theme, I don't think you can skip Day 1.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

dy. posted:

Tbh I don't know if i can regularly post throughout the day. I normally maf when I get home from work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

ilmucche posted:

Tbh I don't know if i can regularly post throughout the day. I normally maf when I get home from work
Oh yeah that’s fine. Everyone will post on their own schedule, I just want to make sure everyone has time to participate and not take like, 5 straight days off.