Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Chapter 50: The Language Barrier; or, Other Things With Which We Will Not Concern Ourselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Invisible Clergy posted:

This is definitely way more thought than Mookie put into any of this, and I'm reasonably confident Sunflower is just using telepathy to communicate this idea which, as per standard D&D rules, can immediately move ideas from one mind to another as long as the recipient has a language, even if the sender does not share it. This also handily removes the language barrier, which this arc is inexplicably titled after.

It occurred to me it's possible that eating that seed didn't just transfer that one word, but created a permanent (or long lasting) telepathic link with flower guy. Either scenario is pretty hilarious, because either Mookie didn't think this through, or he torpedoed the deaf conceit wholesale.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It occurred to me it's possible that eating that seed didn't just transfer that one word, but created a permanent (or long lasting) telepathic link with flower guy. Either scenario is pretty hilarious, because either Mookie didn't think this through, or he torpedoed the deaf conceit wholesale.

That would assume Mookie even followed the whole deaf conceit in the first place. :v:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Other characters continue to vanish out of existence as new ones are introduced.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Why the gently caress is he even handing Snout a note? It's not like he knows that Snout's deaf, so shouldn't he try to communicate verbally first?

And is this Bee or a new Orkling servant? I'm gonna laugh if it turns out that Orklings are just like House-elves and they've been bred to happily serve their orc masters.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I think that's another orc, just Fancypants's personal assistant. Bee was like, half the height of Snout and had one tusk, while this guy is about as tall as Fancypants who's about as tall as Snout and has two tusks.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Flower guy would be way grosser if he was a mammal

Reproductive structures for a head/face, force-feeding other people his embryos

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'd bet a donut that the letter says "You ate a baby!" Or something like that.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

It's amazing that the one time we have characters communicating non-verbally, entirely unprompted, is the one time Snout is not wearing his dumb patch? (pun unintentional)

Yet somehow we have three characters who just seem to know that trying to speak out loud to snout is a waste of time. The first two have some benefit of the doubt, the plant guy might not speak at all and the business card was at least a semi-believable gesture although most people would follow up with words rather than just quietly fading from existence. But this guy even knows that he needs to call over an assistant to bring him ink and paper (a thing that is totally normal to have on hand at all times) in order to speak with snout (but apparently doesn't know that snout can't read orcish).

This also continues the trend of Arudak's servants* being like...absolute assholes to Snout for no apparent reason. We've got Bee yanking him around by the tail and this guy flicking his goddamn ear and apparently forcing his hand into snout's mouth and pulling out the seed. It's glossed over because it happens in between panels, but think about it for a second...some guy comes up to you, painfully flicks your ear and then just...wordlessly grabs you by the loving face and forces your mouth open and sticking his hand inside your face to pull out the mentos you just popped. Like, even the kindest most non-violent person would at least resist that, struggle to get away or something. That's beyond just acting rude or being overly familiar...if my wife just grabbed my face and tried to force her hand into my mouth I'd try and fight her off.

But Snout just accepts it with a dumb look on his face once it's over. No sign of indignation or distress, just a stupid look of slight confusion.

Also, how the gently caress does sunflower's seed-thing work? Since it's intact when rear end in a top hat orc pulls it out, it apparently does not require you to swallow it to have an effect, or even require it to be chewed (despite the fact that we clearly see snout chewing it after popping it in). Also, at no point did Snout actually swallow the thing...he just sat there with it in his mouth apparently.

*I say 'servant', because this guy clearly seems to hold some kind of position and all indication so far has been that the tower belongs to arudak...but just like Bee, his behavior only makes the slightest sense if this is a completely independent structure apparently located in Arudak's house.

oriongates fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Apr 9, 2021

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I don't think he pulls out the seed. I read the panels as he checks something about snout (It looks like he's looking at Snout's profile for some reason, but the perspective is so bad that checking the mouth is also a possibility), then snaps for the guy with the books to run up.

Admittedly, I've never tried or seen someone snapping without the index finger extended. I can manage it with the index finger tucked, it just feels uncomfortable to me.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Maybe he's looking at Snout's ears?

... is snout deaf because he just lacks the internal structure of ears? Does he just have pointy bits on the sides of his head but no holes or anything for sound to go into?

This would be incredibly stupid so i'm going to assume it's correct.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Snout is deaf because Mookie assumed it would be an 'easy' disability to write about.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Wow that butler guy's a real dick I bet he played sports in college

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

maltesh posted:

I don't think he pulls out the seed. I read the panels as he checks something about snout (It looks like he's looking at Snout's profile for some reason, but the perspective is so bad that checking the mouth is also a possibility), then snaps for the guy with the books to run up.

Admittedly, I've never tried or seen someone snapping without the index finger extended. I can manage it with the index finger tucked, it just feels uncomfortable to me.

It's doable with a tucked index finger, and you might be right, what I assumed to be the seed could be his index finger.

I had assumed the lines were to indicate "hey, look at this!" but it could be indicating a snap...which makes it weird since snout wouldn't actually hear the snap.

Read like that, I can see that he might be examining Snout's face...because there are so many other hideous dog-mutants, I'm sure. Got to make sure this is the right hideous dog mutant.

God, it could be him looking at Snout's ear, as though he can just visually diagnose deafness and this is a perfectly natural way to go about it.

It's continuing the pattern of not giving a poo poo about how a deaf person would actually care about being treated. Want a deaf person's attention? Grab them or hurt them in some way, preferably both. Want to check on their hearing aid? Just grab them by the throat and twist their head around. They won't mind. I mean, what else can you do? They can't hear your words, so clearly they're just a dumb animal that needs to be manhandled.

It would be one thing if Snout actually reacted negatively to this treatment, maybe asserting his personhood a bit. But no. He'll just stare dumbly until someone pushes a sign in front of his face.

oriongates fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Apr 9, 2021

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Apparently this dude turned off Snout’s ability to read Orcish?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Zereth posted:

Maybe he's looking at Snout's ears?

... is snout deaf because he just lacks the internal structure of ears? Does he just have pointy bits on the sides of his head but no holes or anything for sound to go into?

This would be incredibly stupid so i'm going to assume it's correct.

I was wondering if the idea was this guy could diagnose deafness by looking at an ear, which would be very impressive (and certainly impossible for anyone to do at such a distance).

Mors Rattus posted:

Apparently this dude turned off Snout’s ability to read Orcish?

I think this is just Mookie giving us another bullshit cliffhanger before Monday's thought bubble translating it for us.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tesseraction posted:

I was wondering if the idea was this guy could diagnose deafness by looking at an ear, which would be very impressive (and certainly impossible for anyone to do at such a distance).
Unless Snout just is missing the holes or something crazy like that. :pseudo:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It feels a bit like picking on him to criticize this tweet, but... Mookie, using a reference is fine. Aren't you the same guy that was bragging about tracing??

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

It's also weird that he clearly writes in a book, but hands snout a completely intact piece of paper.

Really, even if the paper was clearly torn from the book then that would be even stranger. His assistant just has a blank book for him to write in and then messily rip the pages out of? Have the orcs invented perforated notebooks? Also, his assistant very clearly has loose-leaf paper, so why use a book in the first place?

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

This guy's design is cracking me up, at the very least.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Looks like people beat me to most of what I was going to say, but why the hell are there noise lines in panel 2 signifying beardy snapped his fingers if Snout is loving deaf.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

PoptartsNinja posted:

Snout is deaf because Mookie assumed it would be an 'easy' disability to write about.

Mookie should write a comic with a blind protagonist, just speech bubbles floating in a void.

He's already halfway there, and the art would be better too.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Twelve by Pies posted:

Mookie should write a comic with a blind protagonist, just speech bubbles floating in a void.

He's already halfway there, and the art would be better too.

His "blind" protagonist would see using echolocation or something so he would draw the comic normally.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

:allears: Heh, nice.

You know, Dominic Deegan always reminded me of this other webcomic I read, The Last Days of FOXHOUND. It's a fan-comic about what FOXHOUND was doing set a few years before and leading up to Metal Gear Solid. The art is pretty bad and it gets no points for character design because it's a fan-comic, but it was still much better at visually conveying information than either DD or Legacy has ever been. I realize that's not a high bar, but it's something I think about from time to time.

Here's an example:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Clouds and random scorch marks on tortillas are better at visually conveying information than Dominic Deegan.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Agent Rush posted:

:allears: Heh, nice.

You know, Dominic Deegan always reminded me of this other webcomic I read, The Last Days of FOXHOUND. It's a fan-comic about what FOXHOUND was doing set a few years before and leading up to Metal Gear Solid. The art is pretty bad and it gets no points for character design because it's a fan-comic, but it was still much better at visually conveying information than either DD or Legacy has ever been. I realize that's not a high bar, but it's something I think about from time to time.

Here's an example:

I always loved how that comic built up to MGS1, got to the beginning, and then the next comic also the penultimate one, was just a time skip to right after MGS1, shots of everyone's corpses, and Liquid's ghost going "that sucked".

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Was that a fang check? Like it looks like he was judging Snout on his lack of fangs.

This is going to go to (horrible) places.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Beelzebufo posted:

Was that a fang check? Like it looks like he was judging Snout on his lack of fangs.

This is going to go to (horrible) places.
I mean, he immediately calls over his lackey and writes something down to hand to Snout. My buest guess for the events is that he said something to Snout while off-panel, flicked his ear to get his attention, then... Visually inspected Snout's ears and determined that he was deaf, somehow, and then wrote a note instead.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

What is most important part is do you hate this guy as much as Mookie wants you to yet

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

What is most important part is do you hate this guy as much as Mookie wants you to yet

I can't tell the difference between him and Arudak so no.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Arudak has a goatee. This guy has a reverse goatee. Like Guy Fieri and the Smashmouth guy, if these two orcs kissed, they would have a full chinstrap beard between them.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zereth posted:

I mean, he immediately calls over his lackey and writes something down to hand to Snout. My buest guess for the events is that he said something to Snout while off-panel, flicked his ear to get his attention, then... Visually inspected Snout's ears and determined that he was deaf, somehow, and then wrote a note instead.

lmao if he's only deaf because his ears are filled with wax

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Fister Roboto posted:

Considering his suicidally poor judgment in... just about everything, I figure there’s a decent chance that he lost his hearing by doing something as dumb as setting off firecrackers in his house.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

That would require him to have existed at all prior to the very first strip.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Fister Roboto posted:

so what you're saying is the deafness cure he bought in mongreltown would have worked if only he hadn't drank it

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

uh

ok

that was sudden

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

haha puke funny

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

hell, same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Corpsedaughterwife carrying on with the adult toddler act, this time doing a rendition of 'refuses to keep her clothes on in front of guests'.

And then immediately going up two cup sizes because she's in danger, which is definitely not a sex thing.