Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

alnilam posted:

Pantry moths are the worst. Here's the basic rundown:

Freeze every grain for a week

Clean up all crumby stuff in all the corners of your pantry etc

Put all grains in containers with threaded lids, or failing that, keep them in the freezer

e: oh also freeze all your spices too. I've seen them nest in friggin crushed red pepper.

Oh they’re in the ingredients! Looks like you can bake them at 120 for 2 hours or 140F for one hour. Shouldn’t cook things like flour or anything right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Thanks. Lots of this stuff is expired anyway so starting fresh seems easier. I’ve only seen them in corn based things so far, and only in one cabinet. I’ve had one of those little traps in there for a few months and it has caught exactly 3 moths. Where the heck do they come from/how did I get them? I never had them until a year or two ago.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Thanks. Lots of this stuff is expired anyway so starting fresh seems easier. I’ve only seen them in corn based things so far, and only in one cabinet. I’ve had one of those little traps in there for a few months and it has caught exactly 3 moths. Where the heck do they come from/how did I get them? I never had them until a year or two ago.

Their eggs come in with grains and if you don't use the grains fast enough they will hatch, pupate (the webbing and clumpy stuff), and then become adults. I have made a rule of freezing every grain-like item that comes into my house before it enters circulation and it has helped I think. Moth larvae and adults will die in 2 days of freezer but apparently it takes a week to kill the eggs.

They are real fuckers. The threaded lid thing is cause they can squeeze their way into the tightest plastic bag and the sealedest tupperware. I have had tightly tupperwared grains get infested, and conversely I have seen dead moths webbed up just outside the threads of lids who tried but failed to make it inside.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 7, 2021

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

This is a question I kind of wanted to ask for twenty years but I keep forgetting to.

Every day appears to now be a holiday of some kind, as well as every month and every year and every season, probably, too. I know that companies like Hallmark probably made quite a lot by making up a bunch of fake holidays, but more and more I'm seeing these gain validity? Like, today might be Labrador Appreciation Day and tomorrow is Autism Awareness Day. In another time, these minor holidays might be mentioned in an e-mail chain from my grandmother, but now it's to the point where people are posting things on Facebook like, "Since today is No Chicken Murder day, I adopted six chickens!" or something.

The obvious and broad question is: where do these come from?

But more specifically, I'm wondering if there is a good source for this cultural trend, where "daily holidays" began and what ones there have been in the past and which ones have been usurped just by greater circulation of day ideas. I could probably just go on Facebook and tell everyone today is Green Appreciation Day but where would I go, who would I talk to, how would I make that stick?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

To add onto pantry moth chat, I had them a couple of years ago and was free of them this year.
You really have to go nuclear on them.
Inspect everything in your kitchen and pantry and throw out anything obviously infested.
Quarantine anything suspect and keep an eye on it. If it hatches then chuck it out. When you throw infested food out take it out straight to your outside bin, do not keep it in your kitchen.
Deep clean your entire kitchen with a 1:1 white vinegar to water mix. Clean everywhere.
When I say everywhere I mean everywhere they lay eggs in the tiniest nook and cranny
Look up to where your walls meet the ceiling and see if there any webs etc up there. Check vents and the top of light fixtures. Check any cookbooks for eggs. Literally empty out every part of your kitchen and clean it. They get everywhere.
If this sounds paranoid it’s not.
Keep all your food in glass or strong plastic containers with screw lids. Keep nuts in the freezer etc. They can chew through cardboard and thin plastic. They can squeeze through gaps to lids.

Optionally burn down your house and start fresh.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a streaming music service that has these qualities?

• Lets users upload their own music and manage it in bulk
  • Has a decent selection of music to stream
  • Isn't Spotify

I've been using Google's product for years, but since the switch from Google Play Music to YouTube Music, they removed the second part of the first point in that list.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

nishi koichi posted:

are there any “learn to dance” threads?

I made an "Ask" "Tell" thread in A/T a few years ago, for that exact purpose. It got like two curt replies and then was gassed. :(

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 9, 2021

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I have a slightly weird question. How do I eat?

Some backstory: My months long battle with insomnia has done a couple things to me, mainly change my usual bedtime schedule and make me much more conscious of what I eat to not throw off my sleep. Prior to this year I worked 1230-9ish. I'd wake up at 11ish, have lunch, go to work, take my meal break at 430 and have fast food, get home at 930 and eat either a small meal or snack the rest of the night, then go to bed at 3. Middle of January my brain forgot how to sleep causing a hell week of basically no sleep. My doctor tried giving me Trazodone halfway through that week, but it didn't work. She then tried Mirtazapine, which has worked amazingly. Since the end of January my work has changed my hours to 1-10 and I've been on a strict sleep schedule of going to bed at 1 and waking up at anywhere between 930-10. I've gradually stepped down my dose over the weeks, culminating at 1/8 of a 15mg pill starting this week which will last me until after the end of next week. I've changed things up to turning that meal after work into either a poptart, small bowl of cereal, or a light snack due to trying not to affect my sleep.

Now, as we get into warmer weather, I've decided I want to actually shed some weight and be nutritious. Over the past 4-5 years my weight has climbed from 160 to my current 190. I've decided that using a meal replacement instead of fast food would be cheaper and healthier. Plus, my work schedule is changing back to 1230-9ish so my lunch is going from a full hour to 45min, leaving me not quite enough time to run home and get some non-restaurant meal. I did some research and ordered a couple bags of Huel shake mix, and a bag of cookable Huel. My plan is eat my normal lunch or the cookable Huel before work, have the shake for my lunch break, and this is where I'm oddly stuck. That ends up as 800 calories from meals alone, since the "normal serving is 400 calories. I'm aiming for 1500 to get my weight down. My question is, what would you do in my situation, as far as timing of meals or even sleep? I'd love to have a normal 9-5 job where I can drink a shake for breakfast and lunch, then eat at home when I'm off. I've thought about making that dinner shake 1.5 servings, giving me a 600 calorie meal, and eating a slightly bigger lunch to get me around 1200 calories

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Take a look at the YLLS general thread. The OP has a lot of helpful info and there are a lot of very knowledgeable people who can answer questions you have after that.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Hyperlynx posted:

I made an "Ask" thread in A/T a few years ago, for that exact purpose. It got like two curt replies and then was gassed. :(

that’s so loving weird and sad

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

ultrafilter posted:

Take a look at the YLLS general thread. The OP has a lot of helpful info and there are a lot of very knowledgeable people who can answer questions you have after that.

Thanks!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

hooah posted:

Is there a streaming music service that has these qualities?

• Lets users upload their own music and manage it in bulk
  • Has a decent selection of music to stream
  • Isn't Spotify

I've been using Google's product for years, but since the switch from Google Play Music to YouTube Music, they removed the second part of the first point in that list.

Subsonic is your own media server that you manage at home and then stream to your devices: http://www.subsonic.org

It's a good way to get your own music remotely, but no more than that as far as I'm aware.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

credburn posted:

This is a question I kind of wanted to ask for twenty years but I keep forgetting to.

Every day appears to now be a holiday of some kind, as well as every month and every year and every season, probably, too. I know that companies like Hallmark probably made quite a lot by making up a bunch of fake holidays, but more and more I'm seeing these gain validity? Like, today might be Labrador Appreciation Day and tomorrow is Autism Awareness Day. In another time, these minor holidays might be mentioned in an e-mail chain from my grandmother, but now it's to the point where people are posting things on Facebook like, "Since today is No Chicken Murder day, I adopted six chickens!" or something.

But more specifically, I'm wondering if there is a good source for this cultural trend, where "daily holidays" began and what ones there have been in the past and which ones have been usurped just by greater circulation of day ideas. I could probably just go on Facebook and tell everyone today is Green Appreciation Day but where would I go, who would I talk to, how would I make that stick?

I don't have any real answer, but I imagine it having to do with our culture becoming more interconnected. I do know that all sorts of lobbyist groups and the like try to set up these days or months. For instance, the Danish ministry of defence (essentially) had tried to coin a national cyber security month in October I think, because they think they might make the internet more secure by a month of focused information. In theory, you could make your own goatse appreciation day, but you would need to find the right kind of nerds to propagate it, and unless you find a super good cause (you won't) or have a marketing budget, your idea won't stick.

Once you have established your Day, you also need some kind of thing to do or celebrate on it. International pancake Day works because it's an excuse to make pancakes. May the fourth works because Star Wars nerds love to talk about Star Wars.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
What thread should I go to for advice on home theater/AV hardware?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

UmOk posted:

What thread should I go to for advice on home theater/AV hardware?
Audio; TV

In general, have a good rummage through the Inspect Your Gadgets subforum if you need anything else more specific.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Recently, hits to gstatic domains have become incredibly slow for me on Firefox. Chrome seems to be fine (of course). I've tried disabling uMatrix, but it didn't seem to have any effect. What could be causing this behavior, and how can I fix it?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
How much does insurance payout if you:

get hit by a commercial semi truck
the semi truck runs a red light
your ankle is broken
your ribs fractured
your spleen ruptures
you have internal bleeding
you are majorly concussed

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Methanar posted:

your ankle is broken
fractured ribs
your spleen ruptures

How much insurance is there to payout? Because, depending on state, that number can range from $10k-$1m.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm getting 2-3 youtube ads for every loving video. What ad blocker can I run that stops these piece of poo poo videos, or at least gets it through their thick skulls that I don't want to buy loving soap from Puerto Rico.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I'm getting 2-3 youtube ads for every loving video. What ad blocker can I run that stops these piece of poo poo videos, or at least gets it through their thick skulls that I don't want to buy loving soap from Puerto Rico.

On your computer - ublock origin

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Hey is there a good thread, forum or discord, where it'd be acceptable to ask some super basic web design questions? I learn best through having a conversation. I'm making a website to hold my novels and stuff that I've written for free on the internet, and I wanted to make some of the pages look pretty. I just don't really know what I'm doing, I have adobe dreamweaver, but it's also a bit confusing to me. I'm using boot strap to make the buttons and link them to other pages, but the buttons aren't linking. I just think there's some operational knowledge with html that I'm missing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

My question is, what would you do in my situation
I'd eat actual food, like a human.

Mr. Nice! posted:

On your computer - ublock origin
Also works on mobile, as long as you use the YouTube website in Firefox instead of the app. SponsorBlock and YouTube NonStop are also great for making YouTube less annoying.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I use YouTube Vanced for android, functions about the same way the regular app would if you were paying for the monthly subscription (so no ads, lets you play video with the screen turned off among other things)

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

What's that literary device where you weave a character's thoughts into third-person narration instead of explicitly delineating them? I should know this since I'm a writer and I use it all the time but I just can't remember the name for it.

Example:
Robert stuffed the bike horn in his pocket. "They'll have to let me into clown college now," he thought.
vs
Robert stuffed the bike horn in his pocket. They would have to let him into clown college now.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Limited omniscient?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

credburn posted:

I could probably just go on Facebook and tell everyone today is Green Appreciation Day but where would I go, who would I talk to, how would I make that stick?

How do you make it stick? It really helps if you have a lobbying group whose job is to put out press releases about the day and get reporters to write stories that people will share on Facebook.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I did intermittent fasting a while ago, where on fast days you eat 600 calories. I wouldn't recommend it based on my experience (After 6 months, my weight would fluctuate 2 stone in a week up or down seemingly at random, and I started feeling vomity in the morning every day) but it did show me that there are meals out there that keep you below, and the one that I found to be the best was low calorie soups, because you actually feel like you've eaten something, so maybe look into that?

The other thing I found was just that fruit is really good. For specifically low calorie, grapes are good, you can freeze them, and then suck on them as a snack, and they take a while to eat. But there's something about the fibre, and the fact that they have a lot of water in them, makes fruit especially good. Plus, y'know, it's fruit, it's lush.

I think honestly, the biggest hurdle, is just making it a habit. I mean, I'm fuckin' huge again and need to lose weight, but losing weight for my wedding I was doing 20 extra push ups and sit ups every day for months. I did hit the gym as well, but that sometimes didn't happen for whatever reason, work or whatever getting in the way. But the 20 situps and pressups, I'd FORCE MYSELF to do, every day, rain or shine, bloated or achey, no matter what. It didn't take that long for it to be a habit where I didn't even think about it, it met zero resistance in my mind, and most days I'd do a few extra.

I think whatever you decide to do, you know, you'll see on paper "This will make me lose weight" and then the hard part is just forcing yourself to commit to that fully. Good luck!

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Boba Pearl posted:

Hey is there a good thread, forum or discord, where it'd be acceptable to ask some super basic web design questions?
Maybe start with The Web Design & Development Megathread over in The Cavern of COBOL, the coding subforum of Serious Hardware / Software Crap.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Joan posted:

What's that literary device where you weave a character's thoughts into third-person narration instead of explicitly delineating them? I should know this since I'm a writer and I use it all the time but I just can't remember the name for it.

Example:
Robert stuffed the bike horn in his pocket. "They'll have to let me into clown college now," he thought.
vs
Robert stuffed the bike horn in his pocket. They would have to let him into clown college now.

In the UK we traditionally called this free indirect discourse, but I also saw/used 'internally focalised narration' as the slightly hipper French theorist option.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Methanar posted:

your ankle is broken
your ribs fractured
your spleen ruptures
Get an ambulance-chasing suing lawyer. There’s probably a big pile of money to be had, but their insurance company isn’t likely to just hand it over because someone asks nicely.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Get an ambulance-chasing suing lawyer. There’s probably a big pile of money to be had, but their insurance company isn’t likely to just hand it over because someone asks nicely.

Depends. It mostly depends on how much the policy is worth. If it’s a 50k policy. That’s all their going to pay. Likewise if it’s a 10k minimum liability policy, that’s all they’ll pay as well.

This is why you always want uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage because it is very easy to end up in a situation with $600k in medical bills and only $100k in insurance coverage.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Depends. It mostly depends on how much the policy is worth. If it’s a 50k policy. That’s all their going to pay. Likewise if it’s a 10k minimum liability policy, that’s all they’ll pay as well.

This is why you always want uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage because it is very easy to end up in a situation with $600k in medical bills and only $100k in insurance coverage.

This is pretty much it.

Outside of a high wealth individual with high limits/umbrella policy or a commercial vehicle you’re unlikely to see more than 100k, maybe 250k per person in bodily injury limits.

At the end of the day the insurance companies contractual obligation ends when it has paid the maximum limit for that coverage. Then you’re utilizing your own underinsured motorist coverage, health insurance, or going bankrupt.

Sure you can sue that person but if they’re rolling with minimum limita odds are they’re essentially judgment proof in that they have no real collectable assets or liquid cash.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But there's no blanket payout. They should have to pay for damage to you car, medical, maybe some lost wages. But everything else is a negotiation. The question is framed like there is prize money or something

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Either way, absolutely lawyer up. Seriously find the scummiest ambulance chasing-est lawyer you can find. My dad is an personal injury attorney and I can practically hear him salivating. The biggest case he ever settled was a man who got hit by a garbage truck while he was riding his bicycle across a parking lot entrance.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Whenever robotic automation becomes mass-produced in the next decade or so, would it put most blue collar labor out of work? Or would there be a back-and-forth regulating how much automation legislation would/could allow?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Grouchio posted:

Whenever robotic automation becomes mass-produced in the next decade or so, would it put most blue collar labor out of work? Or would there be a back-and-forth regulating how much automation legislation would/could allow?

That is a very good question. Realistically, no one can make predictions of this sort more than about 3-5 years out, so be skeptical of anyone who claims that they know the answer.

What we can say right now is that no entire job is going to be completely automated away in the short term. On the other hand, automation's going to touch a lot of aspects of various jobs, and it'll have a big effect on the demand for people to do those jobs. Highly manual labor and highly creative labor are at the least risk of automation in the short term, but the people who do routine office jobs are likely to be hit hard.

The legislation question is an interesting one. There's a burgeoning 21st-century labor movement and it's going to be pushing for protections, but a lot of Republican state legislatures aren't going to be particularly keen on providing them. Democrats will probably try to pass something at the federal level, but it's going to be hard to come up with something that the Supreme Court won't strike down.

I don't think there's much more we can say for sure just yet. Ask again in 2025 or so.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Grouchio posted:

This is already the state of affairs and it depends on the “automatibility” of the work and how organized the workers are to protect it. It’s been this way for like 200 years. There aren’t any governments who ban automation to some degree that I know of, since that’s fantastically complicated. Like, who protects the assistants now that everyone has smartphones and can easily schedule their own meetings?

It’s further complicated by trade agreements. Say you work for a solar panel plant. The company wants to get some machines in to cut labor costs. You and your organized comrades stop this from happening. However, the machines still exist and the demand is still high, so a company starts up a more automated plant in another country. That company’s panels are now cheaper and have the same or better performance. You can lobby your government to subsidize your panels (or place tariffs on the automated ones) so that you can stay competitive, but if both countries are part of a free trade agreement, those subsidies or tariffs are actually illegal and your country will be charged in trade court.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

It’s worth keeping in mind that prospect of automation of certain jobs is usually way overblown in order to push stock prices up and keep the current work force in line.

Amazon will deploy a few robots in one warehouse to do a specific task (poorly) as a means of sending a message to the other warehouses not to ask for better working conditions. Tesla will hype up a self driving truck that can do the easiest park of trucking (driving 55mph on a perfectly constructed interstate highway) but cannot navigate a complex urban environment or even back into a loading dock so they can pump the stock price.

Automation is coming, but it’s not “5 years away”

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

credburn posted:

Lobbying, marketing, and advocacy groups.

quote:

I have a book by the writer Will Cuppy (1884-1949), How to Get from January to December, in which he complains about things like National Pickle Week. So it was established by the early 20th century in the US at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Silver Falcon posted:

Either way, absolutely lawyer up. Seriously find the scummiest ambulance chasing-est lawyer you can find. My dad is an personal injury attorney and I can practically hear him salivating. The biggest case he ever settled was a man who got hit by a garbage truck while he was riding his bicycle across a parking lot entrance.

Your dad is salivating because he’s going to get 33% to 40% of the settlement value.