Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

The Colonel posted:

let us all free ourselves from shounen jump
thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Shonen Jump is good actually. Can’t wait for the Sakamoto Days anime.

Edit: if a bunch of other publishers want to give me access to a ton of their catalogue for only 2$ a month maybe Shonen Jump won’t be as good, let me know when that happens.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

The Colonel posted:

horikoshi tried giving mineta a small character arc once and it was one of the wonkiest moments in that chunk of the story cause mineta was not conceived with any purpose other than perpetuating sex jokes, so

the lesson is that i'm bored of mha

IIRC it was like, a "I want to be cool!" sort of motivation wasn't it? Sure it wasn't a great motivation in terms of how we contextualize heroes, especially if we compare it to like Spider-Man but it's also a really human sort of motivation?

Mineta could be a way better character though while still being a source of sex jokes.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm pretty sure being the source of unfunny sex jokes would just nullify whatever merits he has as a character for most people and thus would not be worth the effort

again, the lesson is that mha is really boring

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

IIRC it was like, a "I want to be cool!" sort of motivation wasn't it? Sure it wasn't a great motivation in terms of how we contextualize heroes, especially if we compare it to like Spider-Man but it's also a really human sort of motivation?

Mineta could be a way better character though while still being a source of sex jokes.

I brought up Denji for a reason.

That reason is that he's a really good character who is largely defined by horniness in his early arc.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Davincie posted:

its a good thing to grow up and learn to let go of things

All right Hideaki Anno

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Willo567 posted:

All right Hideaki Anno

where does anno fold into all of this

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Strange Quark posted:

He doesn't; he just tumbles down.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
confusing non sequiturs is a posting power move.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Strange Quark posted:

He wants people to let go of Evangelion, just like Davincie telling me to let go of ZLS and the girls

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anno wants me to let go evangelion cause he'll never let grasshopper make evangelion 3nd impact part 2

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
Okay I am intrigued by Full Dive. I hope it actually does something with its premise that doesn't become a source of just comedy. I feel like a rpg world where the "npcs" are basically act and feel like real people and having to continue living with consequences to your actions are things that get explored. Undertale vibes, I like.

chiasaur11 posted:

I brought up Denji for a reason.

That reason is that he's a really good character who is largely defined by horniness in his early arc.

I don't really know anything about Chainsaw man :ohdear:

e: One thing that confuses me about Way of the House Husband is shouldn't his wife be more used to his antics? Shouldn't she know he was yakuza originally?

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 9, 2021

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Raenir Salazar posted:

Okay I am intrigued by Full Dive. I hope it actually does something with its premise that doesn't become a source of just comedy. I feel like a rpg world where the "npcs" are basically act and feel like real people and having to continue living with consequences to your actions are things that get explored. Undertale vibes, I like.

The light novel has a cover that focuses on a girl with huge boobs and the title is about how the game is lovely.

If you are expecting some nuanced take I suggest to vastly lower those expectations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

just watch the ed mate

it's got one of them bootyshorts demon lords and they're probably doing the SAO incest* plotline as well

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

He doesn't; he just tumbles down.

Fffffffuck yooooooou

(:v:)

MHA is good

I really want to watch Super Cub now, thanks thread.

Also, yay, more ZLS.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't really know anything about Chainsaw man :ohdear:

It's a manga from Shonen Jump that finished in December with an upcoming anime from Mappa. (It's getting a sequel in Jump Plus)

The basic premise is that there's a teenage boy named Denji who's left so deep in debt to the Yakuza after his father dies that selling his own organs doesn't leave him with enough spare money to have jam on his bread. His best friend is Pochita, a Devil dog who's also a chainsaw. Together, they hunt Devils for money.

The series is partially about Denji's awkward journey to maturity, so there's multiple plot beats devoted to his attempts to reach romantic fulfillment... including an arc where he tries to find a girl who wouldn't mind letting him touch her boobs, with him treating it as his Big Shonen Hero Goal, and everyone else treating him like an idiot.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i got to episode 4 of MHA s1 and stopped. that's my mha sstory and i hope you enjoyed it

i got twice as far into phantom in the twilight so i dont know what that says about my taste in anime

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dogsicle posted:

just watch the ed mate

it's got one of them bootyshorts demon lords and they're probably doing the SAO incest* plotline as well

Yeah I saw the bit with his sister (THE ONLY bit with his sister in the whole episode, no less), and then the ED, and just :yikes: out a bit at the inference on where the show might go.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i watched mha up to the all for one fight and then realized i didn't really want to watch any more. that's my mha story

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

anyway, i didn't realize Fairy Ranmaru had some staff crossover from the Cute High series even though they definitely share too much dna to be a coincidence

FR is much more overtly sexual/servicey though, and even as it drops sight gags with news article headlines and barely-veiled innuendo it feels more straight-faced than any Cute High stuff. their usual production limitations feel less kind to a show that isn't falling back as hard on the "excuse" of comedy though, but it probably doesn't help to so heavily draw comparisons between yourself and Madoka by referencing Inu Curry's work on the Witch domains. none of it is bad enough to turn me off, but i do hope they get things a bit more together as the series goes on.

The 7th Guest posted:

i got to episode 4 of MHA s1 and stopped. that's my mha sstory and i hope you enjoyed it

i got twice as far into phantom in the twilight so i dont know what that says about my taste in anime

i dropped s1 of MHA and would maintain that it's a painfully slow and thus bad adaptation. but i suppose it resonated enough with most people to work :shrug:

later seasons seem to have solved the issue with a combination of better handling of material and just some outright better material in the first place, but i'm not a consistent watcher and focus on reading it instead.

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 9, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/dogemperor/status/1380201610954088451

the twewy band drummer thing wasnt actually drugs, it was email scams lol. like a nigerian prince type of thing. send me this amount of money and i will send you a larger sum, in the future

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The Black Stones posted:

Shonen Jump is good actually. Can’t wait for the Sakamoto Days anime.

Edit: if a bunch of other publishers want to give me access to a ton of their catalogue for only 2$ a month maybe Shonen Jump won’t be as good, let me know when that happens.

God a Sakamoto Days anime would be so good but it'll be really hard to animate that artstyle I think (not that I know that much).

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Endorph posted:

the twewy band drummer thing wasnt actually drugs, it was email scams lol. like a nigerian prince type of thing. send me this amount of money and i will send you a larger sum, in the future

Next we'll see Mario arrested for running an "It'sa me!" phone scam.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

Lmao

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I like MHA because for a punch-wizards action series it initially seemed like a refreshing well executed take on shonen action but when I last read the manga I kinda feel that world building and how fights get resolved had taken a massive step down. Things like the idea that Quirk users are limited by their stamina like an athlete is basically had fallen to the wayside with characters getting power creeped to having bigger, flashier and more destructive abilities that seem to have no cost or downside. So winning these fights (especially in the two recent movies) comes down more and more to punching really hard in an increasingly unsatisfying way.

The Black Stones posted:

The light novel has a cover that focuses on a girl with huge boobs and the title is about how the game is lovely.

If you are expecting some nuanced take I suggest to vastly lower those expectations.

I'm going to be honest that I kinda don't really agree that these things alone say much about what someone can take away from a series; but we'll see if it builds something off of its premise or not.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Endorph posted:

Which grandma caught on and turned him in

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 9, 2021

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

I like MHA because for a punch-wizards action series it initially seemed like a refreshing well executed take on shonen action but when I last read the manga I kinda feel that world building and how fights get resolved had taken a massive step down. Things like the idea that Quirk users are limited by their stamina like an athlete is basically had fallen to the wayside with characters getting power creeped to having bigger, flashier and more destructive abilities that seem to have no cost or downside. So winning these fights (especially in the two recent movies) comes down more and more to punching really hard in an increasingly unsatisfying way.

Isn't it normal for shonen characters to be limited by stamina? It feels like a basic conceit of the genre.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

Well I don't think anyone could've seen that coming :suspense:.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Isn't it normal for shonen characters to be limited by stamina? It feels like a basic conceit of the genre.

Right, I am saying that a problem I am having is that increasingly the characters are not being limited by stamina. I.e they keep being able to keep going doing big flashy moves over and over without stopping. An example of what I mean is in Naruto which for a while made some kind of effort to make a big deal out of stamina/chakra limits before gradually not really caring anymore.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Just lol at everyone in this thread jumping to defend the guy for being a victim of Japan's excessive drug laws and it turns out he was stealing money from grandmas.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8MZZKeOO2o

teaser for the next girls und panzer movie

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

also a poster

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Wasn't there another voice actress who got busted for Covid-19 relief fraud?

For such a stereotypically safe country with a low violent crime rate Japan has a surprising amount of wire fraud.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Phobophilia posted:

For such a stereotypically safe country with a low violent crime rate Japan has a surprising amount of wire fraud.

I think it was Rica Matsumoto (VA of Ash Ketchum), although I don't think they ever proved she was involved in fraud, nor was she busted

https://kotaku.com/report-japanese-pokemons-voice-actress-alleged-involve-1845858766

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Boys sports are happening!!

Kabaddi is an anime I wasn't expecting much out of. It looks kinda cheap but I feel like the weird 3d crash dummy models they keep using for some of the explanation scenes really work. STRUGGLE is incredibly funny every time it appears as well. Best thing about it though is that the protag is an idiot chasing those streaming dollars so I'm very excited if it keeps the gremlin energy it's established with the crew

Bakuten was something I was super amped up for prior to the season but it's almost the opposite of Kabaddi where it has really nice impressive animation, but because they're doing a full on rhythmic gymnastics routine (like I think it was 2+ minutes with no cutaways or anything) you're getting a lot of CG during long shots. It was kind of distracting for me.

There's some nice looking stuff throughout the rest of the ep though, so I'm just going to hope they keep the full routines to a minimum. The characters set up are pretty fun, and they are 100% hammering this BIRDS AS A METAPHOR button it's really funny.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Instead of Bakuten try shoujo classic Hikari no Densetsu

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

we're here for the boys

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

The US's wire fraud rate is nearly double Japan's. Difference is just down to how seriously the new takes it.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

dogsicle posted:

we're here for the boys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Sexism!