Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

I don’t know who I want to win

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Newspaper Spider Man Animated Movie when????

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The budget appears to have been about $45. Also the trailer covers the whole film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAKvQ8r_WPY

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Pyrotoad posted:

Behold, I have brought you a man!

Get out of here, Diogenese.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

NieR Occomata posted:

The final minute of Soul is sort of ruinous in how badly it bobbles the ending.

The problem boils down to the fact that the entire thematic arc of the movie boils down to Joe realizing that the thing he had built his entire life around was this hollow, self-destructive and ultimately kind of quixotic quest to validate a life that was made around a singular goal, a singular focus that once he achieves he ultimately ends up rejecting. Further, he realizes that the people and things he has sacrificed at the altar of his own personal validation has made him into kind of a lovely dude and thus the final act of the film is him realizing that he, one, has to redeem himself, which he does, and to come to the realization that what he truly enjoyed being was a teacher and to lift up and validate others.

So then we come to the final minute of the film, where Joe has completed his redemption arc and is now more or less where he started, but with the knowledge that what actually intellectually satisfies and validates him is teaching and guiding others. The obvious conclusion to this is to turn Joe into one of the pre-life teachers or at least a mentor.

The problem with having that ending is that it backhandedly argues that suicide is, in fact, the solution to your problems, so they have to give Joe his life back because otherwise it has some Bad Implications. This despite the fact that giving Joe his life back sort of invalidates his redemption arc in the first place and as a ending to the movie as written doesn’t make any sense.

That’s the fundamental issue with Soul. It is a movie with an ending that doesn’t make logical, thematic, or narrative sense as written but is quite literally the only solution they could realistically go with that doesn’t end up subtextually arguing to commit suicide.

I feel like “I found my life’s calling! It was teaching instead!” Is exactly what I mean. They actually had a new moral (your life’s purpose isn’t one singular thing like a job, it’s liking and doing things, big and small) and everyone wish they ditched that and took the same moral everything else does.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like “I found my life’s calling! It was teaching instead!” Is exactly what I mean. They actually had a new moral (your life’s purpose isn’t one singular thing like a job, it’s liking and doing things, big and small) and everyone wish they ditched that and took the same moral everything else does.

Okay I can buy that. Maybe the issue is it feels too generalized, too much of "just enjoy everything!" that it doesn't feel like its specific enough to the character.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

But his life's purpose wasn't teaching? Your wording is a little confusing though so I can't tell if that is what you're arguing.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ccs posted:

Okay I can buy that. Maybe the issue is it feels too generalized, too much of "just enjoy everything!" that it doesn't feel like its specific enough to the character.

I think that is the moral though. People are told from birth that happiness comes from achieving a singular purpose. That the value of a soul is it's ability to find it's one true calling (and particularly to make money off it) and a soul is incomplete without that.

The moral of the movie is that actually that isn't anything, no one has a purpose, eating a good slice of pizza today can make you happy and you don't need to wait to be happy until you find your "spark". It even went out of it's way to show he really did have a literally transcendent ability with jazz, but it still wasn't his "purpose" and in fact showed people that chased that flow too much grew obsessed and became nonfunctional monsters, because it's just one part of a life to be good at something. Like there was the whole scene with the vet/barber. He wasn't "meant" to be a barber, he would still have rather been a vet, but it didn't happen and he made his peace and had found a new source of happiness and there was no calling about any of it, for either thing.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

The budget appears to have been about $45. Also the trailer covers the whole film.

I'm the stolen Gundam sound effects.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think that is the moral though. People are told from birth that happiness comes from achieving a singular purpose. That the value of a soul is it's ability to find it's one true calling (and particularly to make money off it) and a soul is incomplete without that.

The moral of the movie is that actually that isn't anything, no one has a purpose, eating a good slice of pizza today can make you happy and you don't need to wait to be happy until you find your "spark". It even went out of it's way to show he really did have a literally transcendent ability with jazz, but it still wasn't his "purpose" and in fact showed people that chased that flow too much grew obsessed and became nonfunctional monsters, because it's just one part of a life to be good at something. Like there was the whole scene with the vet/barber. He wasn't "meant" to be a barber, he would still have rather been a vet, but it didn't happen and he made his peace and had found a new source of happiness and there was no calling about any of it, for either thing.

And at the end Jerry literally asks what he'll do with his life and he says "I don't know."

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like there was the whole scene with the vet/barber. He wasn't "meant" to be a barber, he would still have rather been a vet, but it didn't happen and he made his peace and had found a new source of happiness and there was no calling about any of it, for either thing.

Happy as a :backtowork:

I thought he was going to have the "aha! it was teaching all along!" moment as well. On my first viewing, I was like, 'Wait that's it? What is he going to do now?' But as the above poster said, that would be swapping one 'purpose' for another instead of taking in the sum of life as a whole.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Those gorillas look like the turn of millennium crap ware mascot Bonsi Buddy.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Maigius posted:

Those gorillas look like the turn of millennium crap ware mascot Bonsi Buddy.

drat now I can’t unsee it, those are the exact colors.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

i think i find bears sexier than big cats, but big cats are sexier than canines, to me. but sexiest of all is the elusive seal

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I like this paragraph more than I like the ending presented in the movie. Maybe after some rewatchings I'll be able to appreciate it the way they intended.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

perepelki posted:

i think i find bears sexier than big cats, but big cats are sexier than canines, to me. but sexiest of all is the elusive seal

So is that why the zoo has a restraining-order against you?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Sivart13 posted:

I like this paragraph more than I like the ending presented in the movie. Maybe after some rewatchings I'll be able to appreciate it the way they intended.

Yeah, I liked what I think the message in Soul was supposed to be; reminded me a lot of some of the philosophy of Alan Watts. I feel like the delivery didn't really hit the mark, though. Maybe they were going for a deliberate subversion by building up the whole traditional "it turns out Joe's true purpose was teaching/mentoring all along..." angle and then yanking the rug out with a "...nope, really life has no purpose at all, just enjoy it!" twist, but I think that makes that message seem somewhat confusing and a bit out of left field. The whole idea of life being ultimately purposeless, and of that purposelessness being a positive thing and spending your whole life focusing on figuring out what your "purpose" is to the exclusion of everything else being a negative thing, is a bit of a jarring one in modern society, and I feel like it the movie might have taken a little more time to explain and explore it in greater depth than it did.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://twitter.com/HotelT/status/1380505781129338882
So Genndy's not directing the new film (undoubtedly too busy with Primal and Unicorn), though he is writing it. Instead it's being directed by Jennifer Kluska (who's storyboarded on the 2nd and 3rd films as well as some other Sony films, and served as a producer on the Lauren Faust DC Super Hero Girls series) and Derek Drymon (the guy who was 2nd-in-command on Hillenberg-era Spongebob; most of his film credits being storyboarding on various Dreamworks films)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm not like super excited for that or anything, none of them are great and the first one is merely alright except for the dance party at the end, but I'll always be down for more of that animation

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Its amazing how even an animated Adam Sandler movie somehow feels like its just him and his friends going on vacation.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I still maintain the whole Zing thing feels like a stupid, tacked on thing and has the nasty idea of 'oh you have ONE true love' when you know, Dracula having the realization that his overprotectiveness and prejudice had hurt and alienated his daughter would've been a more natural realization.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

https://twitter.com/HotelT/status/1380505781129338882
So Genndy's not directing the new film (undoubtedly too busy with Primal and Unicorn), though he is writing it. Instead it's being directed by Jennifer Kluska (who's storyboarded on the 2nd and 3rd films as well as some other Sony films, and served as a producer on the Lauren Faust DC Super Hero Girls series) and Derek Drymon (the guy who was 2nd-in-command on Hillenberg-era Spongebob; most of his film credits being storyboarding on various Dreamworks films)

i hope they go to space

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Robindaybird posted:

I still maintain the whole Zing thing feels like a stupid, tacked on thing and has the nasty idea of 'oh you have ONE true love' when you know, Dracula having the realization that his overprotectiveness and prejudice had hurt and alienated his daughter would've been a more natural realization.

Isn't the realization that there is no "one" true Zing the plot of the third?

As for those movies, they aren't great... but the 2nd was the first animated movie my then 3 year old ever latched on to. So I have a soft spot for them.

2 was good.
1 was ok.
3 was bad.

Not holdin' out hope for 4.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oh this is totally gonna be somd kind of "monsters get human disguises" thing right.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

dennyk posted:

Yeah, I liked what I think the message in Soul was supposed to be; reminded me a lot of some of the philosophy of Alan Watts. I feel like the delivery didn't really hit the mark, though. Maybe they were going for a deliberate subversion by building up the whole traditional "it turns out Joe's true purpose was teaching/mentoring all along..." angle and then yanking the rug out with a "...nope, really life has no purpose at all, just enjoy it!" twist, but I think that makes that message seem somewhat confusing and a bit out of left field. The whole idea of life being ultimately purposeless, and of that purposelessness being a positive thing and spending your whole life focusing on figuring out what your "purpose" is to the exclusion of everything else being a negative thing, is a bit of a jarring one in modern society, and I feel like it the movie might have taken a little more time to explain and explore it in greater depth than it did.

I don't think it was a nihilist movie that was saying he was purposeless. He really was good at teaching, he really was good at jazz. The barber wanted to be a vet but became a barber, he probably could have been good at either, he might have even prefered to be a vet. The hippie pirate was enriched just spinning his stupid sign.

The idea is that "a purpose" is not one singular thing you are born to do, the "spark" he assumed was finding 22 a perfect job was really the spark to be willing to start living, instead of waiting for some ambiguous future where some bolt of lighting would start your life.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
It's going to be a tie in with the WWE, Vince(ent Price) McMahon will be in the film.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Having watched Hotel Transylvania 1 and 2, you can't make me watch more of these

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

i've hated the experience of every single thing adam sandler has ever done and yet i can't help liking him as a person

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

perepelki posted:

i've hated the experience of every single thing adam sandler has ever done and yet i can't help liking him as a person

have you watched uncut gems?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

perepelki posted:

That's fine, someone making bad art doesn't mean they're a bad person. Just like how someone making good art doesn't mean they're a good person. Adam Sandler is just some guy, he'd probably be fun to chat with at a party and he takes good care of his friends. And I'm honest enough with myself to admit if I could get paid to go on vacation in exchange for making a bad movie I would absolutely do that.

That said...

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Uncut Gems was a fantastic movie. I strongly recommend watching it, but be warned that it's an intense and very stressful experience.

Punch Drunk Love, Funny People, and Uncut Gems are the films that prove Adam Sandler is 100% capable of being a serious actor, but he only choices to do so about once a decade.

His old snl skits are pretty good too.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Uncut Gems is so good it literally wipes out every lovely crash grab film he has ever done AND made a compelling case for him to get a Best Actor Oscar nod in the future if he’s able to perform at that level in a future movie. He should’ve gotten it for UG in the first place but, well, whatever.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

ok maybe i'll watch uncut gems

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

perepelki posted:

ok maybe i'll watch uncut gems

Oh you are in for a treat. It's a movie that knows exactly what it's doing and pulls zero punches.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That's fine, someone making bad art doesn't mean they're a bad person. Just like how someone making good art doesn't mean they're a good person. Adam Sandler is just some guy, he'd probably be fun to chat with at a party and he takes good care of his friends. And I'm honest enough with myself to admit if I could get paid to go on vacation in exchange for making a bad movie I would absolutely do that.

That said...

Uncut Gems was a fantastic movie. I strongly recommend watching it, but be warned that it's an intense and very stressful experience.

Punch Drunk Love, Funny People, and Uncut Gems are the films that prove Adam Sandler is 100% capable of being a serious actor, but he only choices to do so about once a decade.

His old snl skits are pretty good too.

Click isn't exactly good but it did make me cry somehow, so throw that one in there too why not.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I hated Uncut Gems but it is a well made movie with good acting.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I looooooooooove Uncut Gems, and while you don't have to be Jewish to enjoy it, it helps. :jewish:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Uncut Gems and Good Time as a double stress feature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
My movie group watched good time last week and we all were crawling out of our skin it was so uncomfortable.