Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Guys.

I love One Piece so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I read my first one piece in elementary school, I can't believe I'm 28 now, still reading one piece and going WOW THAT WAS PROBABLY THE BEST CHAPTER

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Holy poo poo piiiiiiiiiijiiiiiiiissssssss

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

RIP Kidd and Killer you had a good run

Luffy's finishing blow to Kaido 20 chapters from now is gonna hit him right on the scar that Zoro left

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

junan_paalla posted:

I read my first one piece in elementary school, I can't believe I'm 28 now, still reading one piece and going WOW THAT WAS PROBABLY THE BEST CHAPTER

I've been reading this since I was 12 and I love how it has done nothing but made me consistently happy for over half my life

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Jose posted:

Holy poo poo piiiiiiiiiijiiiiiiiissssssss

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

great ch!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I hope Pudding tagged along with the rest of the kids, and they make it back up that waterfall just in time to see Big Mom get stomped. Then she and Sanji can cook together for the rest of the voyage.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Having such an amazing chapter right before a break week, truly the definition of “bittersweet”...

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

One Piece is so loving good.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
With other manga stuff right now, I really needed some good poo poo this week and boy howdy.

I think I audibly gasped when I saw Luffy with the black lightning. gently caress yess.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

blizzardvizard posted:

Conqueror's Haki is actually just Nen

You mean special nanomachines

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So since Luffy got his mid-fight upgrade I guess he's not gonna awaken his devil fruit this arc huh.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

When it cut back to Hyogoro explaining the advanced haki, that was when you knew the big turnaround was here, and it did not disappoint. So I guess that's the question of how Luffy could completely surpass people like Katakuri and beat Kaido answered, then. Not sure how he'll deal with the fire without Zoro, but it should still be a challenge to take down Kaido even if he's learned the secret to beating him.

God, I love this series so, so much.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'm kind of confused what exactly he learned... the difference is he's coating his body in conqueror's Haki (which is invisible?) rather than just armament haki?

Art looked great this chapter.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

No Wave posted:

I'm kind of confused what exactly he learned... the difference is he's coating his body in conqueror's Haki (which is invisible?) rather than just armament haki?

Art looked great this chapter.

Yup that’s exactly it. The black lightning effect is conquerors haki and it’s what Roger and Whitebeard used too. Apparently it makes it appear as if they aren’t even making contact.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Yeah I think the idea is that Kaido was previously able to bypass Luffy's armament haki entirely using conqueror's, so now matter how prepared he was he was still taking a ton of damage. Presumably now that he's figured out how to focus the conqueror's haki on himself he will be taking less damage and dishing more out.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
That shot of the uppercut was jaw-droppingly great. Woo!

...Is Conqueror's Haki the same one that Luffy has used to make dozens of mooks just pass out? This new technique is like a more focused weaponization of it?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Conquerer's pretty much allows you to enforce your will over others with weak wills, I guess this extends to being able to damage them no matter what and forcing them to take the main brunt of the damage compared to armanent which just enhances your own strike and allows you to hit incoporeal/use blunt attacks on people like Luffy.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
not a huge fan of haki becoming more and more integral to fights, particularly the Special Kind of Haki Only One In A Million Have, but everything else was brilliant

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's basically super haki so that the biggest hitters can be in a league of their own, like concentrating psychic force into physical damage.

How far you care for that particular ginmick is up to you, but I think it's fine, its main use until now has been to not need Luffy to deal with pointless mooks, and at this level it lets him overcome a strong physical defence in a way that isn't just punching so hard it destroys planets, which is something that other shonen could learn from; if your enemy is strong, fast and can breathe fire then you're still in a lot of trouble, and all the existing rules about physical exertion still apply.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

So the final match up looks to be

Luffy vs. Kaido

Kidd, Killer, Law, and Zorro vs BIG MOM. Literally JRPG boss fight with a Mage (kidd) two Warriors (zorro and Killer. 1 tank and 1 high speed dps) and a Healer/Mage (Sorry Law you are the healbot, accept your fate)

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I love that nobody really put the conqueror halo together but it makes at least 85% sense that’s so impressively

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

zoro is going to almost die and law is going to use some ope ope technique on him at the cost of his own life...

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Sheeeiit that's some good one piece

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Literally a 1010 chapter, Oda does it again

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Luffy's an emperor now, baby oh boy oh boy :toot:

The haki stuff has never bothered me much, largely because it's established early on that it's 'willpower'. It's basically magic, but being explicitly tied to will makes more sense to me than say, DBZ power levels, where pumping iron makes you better at punching. And will is something Luffy's been consistently shown to have in strides.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 9, 2021

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Holy poo poo I usually try to wait for the official release but this was worth it. Incredible.

And yeah I don't have too much of an issue with the conqueror's haki thing. This series has always been about willpower and dreams. It's just Luffy putting his literal willpower behind his punches now. I have more of an issue with the other two types of haki, they're more explicitly magical.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I've completely lost track of what kinds of haki there are and what they do but I like it when Luffy punch bad guy hard

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 9, 2021

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

tbp posted:

not a huge fan of haki becoming more and more integral to fights, particularly the Special Kind of Haki Only One In A Million Have, but everything else was brilliant

i think of it less that one in a million people happen to have it, and more that only one in a million people are determined and motivated to develop it because it means throwing your life into situations where you might die literally every ten seconds

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

anime was right posted:

i think of it less that one in a million people happen to have it, and more that only one in a million people are determined and motivated to develop it because it means throwing your life into situations where you might die literally every ten seconds

Yeah that's how I read it. Anyone can develop even conquerer's haki if they're determined and tough enough, it's just insanely hard to reach that point and some people are naturally more suited to it than others.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Holy poo poo I was hoping Zoro would pull out Asura AND HE DID :swoon:

Holy poo poo I can't believe how obvious it was all along. "Oh, you're coating yourself in Conquerer's Haki, yeah ok I'll do that now." Then he makes Kaido look like a chump.

Absolutely amazing.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Let's be fair now, most of the Straw Hats don't have any haki at all, or one specific type in Usopp's case, and they're pulling their weight just fine. Kaido's crew seem to rely almost solely on their fruits as well, as they're all super powerful ancient zoan types. It's cool seeing Luffy deal with people like Crocodile and Enel in creative ways, but he was never going to be an emperor if he had to pull out a creative solution to every other fruit he came across, as fun as that would be. Without haki he technically still has no counter to Smoker, unless he happens to have the Battle Franky Pocket Vacuum conveniently on him at all times. Kizaru would be functionally unbeatable without tricking him into some kind of obscure system of prisms or something.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 9, 2021

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

It kinda got overshadowed by Luffy and Zoro but I really liked the panel of Kidd running after Big Mom and all the metal stuff following him. :3:

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Let's be fair now, most of the Straw Hats don't have any haki at all, or one specific type in Usopp's case, and they're pulling their weight just fine. Kaido's crew seem to rely almost solely on their fruits as well, as they're all super powerful ancient zoan types. It's cool seeing Luffy deal with people like Crocodile and Enel in creative ways, but he was never going to be an emperor if he had to pull out a creative solution to every other fruit he came across, as fun as that would be. Without haki he technically still has no counter to Smoker, unless he happens to have the Battle Franky Pocket Vacuum conveniently on him at all times. Kizaru would be functionally unbeatable without tricking him into some kind of obscure system of prisms or something.

The power levels between the beast pirates and SHs/armada is pretty similar. The big bads have haki, the mooks don’t.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Thanks everyone for being part of this crazy ride, and it ain't over for many years yet. What a loving manga!

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I love that no matter what people think of Haki or how many of the types you remember of even if you don't understand it at all, this chapter is still just as awesome :allears:

My hot haki take is that it's just a mediocre concept, but made to fit the manga story very well by being based on willpower, and then executed superbly by Oda. And even if it was bad, we would not be having chapters like this without it or something to fill its shoes, so i'm Just Good With It.

"It'll leave a scar... That should be enough for you!" This whole exchange is just, the mix of shock, repulsion and respect in Kaido's speech is incredible.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 9, 2021

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Oh, hell yes. Luffy's taking the one-inch punch to new extremes.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Chapter provides some resolution to a bunch of odd things (actually went all the way back to see if Whitebeard / Shanks’ weapons actually made contact, which it seems like they did so Oda didn’t quite do it again) while being reminiscent of one of my favorite fights, Luffy vs Blueno. This kicks so much more rear end than heroes locking themselves in a room, training.

Thank you Oda.

mabels big day posted:

Luffy's finishing blow to Kaido 20 chapters from now is gonna hit him right on the scar that Zoro left

Right where Zoro and Oden’s scars overlap ... X marks the spot

derra fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
I've always thought the gears are cool in concept but Luffy looks weird and gross in them. Sometimes that silliness helped, sometimes it felt barely above DBZ style power creep. Katakuri was an exception where Snakeman just leveled the field in terms of having unpredictable attacks. The absolutely iconic look Luffy has going right now is way better than any gear.

It probably won't last, unless annual action figures stopped being a thing they are going to need a new transformation to sell.