Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

TheDK posted:

With an NVIDIA GPU that is 10xx series or older, you should be able to use a FreeSync monitor.

Just correcting a typo: 10 series or newer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

With everyone making GBS threads on curved displays in this thread, is the new trend with gaming monitors is beyond 27 inches everything has to be curved? I was thinking... maybe 34 would be a nice bump in size, but everything seems to be curved. I should just shut the gently caress up and get the nano IPS suggested earlier. I'll do that. lol

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

sigher posted:

With everyone making GBS threads on curved displays in this thread, is the new trend with gaming monitors is beyond 27 inches everything has to be curved? I was thinking... maybe 34 would be a nice bump in size, but everything seems to be curved. I should just shut the gently caress up and get the nano IPS suggested earlier. I'll do that. lol

Issue is VA panels are terrible and curved ips are the cost of a new computer/a cheap car.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

TheDK posted:

With an NVIDIA GPU that is 10xx series or older newer, you should be able to use a FreeSync monitor. Those that have been officially certified by NVIDIA as G-SYNC Compatible should be better, in theory. List here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

For curved, those are most likely VA panels which tend to have problems with ghosting/smearing/poor response time. A curved IPS would be better but those are hella expensive.

Ffycchi posted:

I second this. Don't get a curved panel. They are absolutely rubbish. Personal experience here.
Thank you!! Glad my bias against them wasn't totally unfounded. I have a 2070 Super so I should be fine with FreeSync.

Poking around a bit, it looks like the Acer Nitro XV340CK Pbmiipphzx may be my best bet: 34" IPS 1440p/144 Hz, not curved, is G-SYNC-compatible (though not certified by NVIDIA). Going by this review, the cons would be a not-so-great contrast ratio and brightness, but I think I could live with those. Some 32" options I found were the LG 32GN650-B and LG 32GK650F-B, but those are both VA panels.

Any reason I shouldn't go with that Acer?

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
Having just got one last week (I went with the LG34GP83A, to match my existing 27" LG panels), I'd agree that the curve doesn't really add anything. Maybe on the 49" super crazy wide monitors it makes sense.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

I have a curved 34" monitor for personal use, and a flat 34" for work. Sitting at the work one, the lack of curve is clear, and compared to the curved one (an x34p) the lack of curve feels... Weird.

Using the curved monitor feels natural and I can hardly actually notice the curve sitting at it. Whereas with the flat screen the far sides of the monitor are far enough away that I notice the perspective shift and it doesn't look as nice or as 'comfortable' to my eye. Everything is still totally legible, its not unusable in the least. It just feels better to have a curve with an ultrawide imo. Up to you if the cost difference between otherwise comparable monitors is worth it.

That said curved 16x9 or 10 monitors are still dumb, agreed.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I wonder if a curve would help with IPS glow in corners. Because the glow disappears if I look at it up close, head on.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Rinkles posted:

I wonder if a curve would help with IPS glow in corners. Because the glow disappears if I look at it up close, head on.

In my experience, it does not.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

Biodome posted:

I'm considering getting the 48" LG C1 when it comes out and using it as a gaming monitor. I've seen a few setups on Youtube of people using it on a desk. It looks big but manageable.

I found this desk on Amazon with 31.5" depth, which I think will give enough space if I want to play.

https://www.amazon.com/TOPSKY-Surfa...den&sr=1-8&th=1

Anyone else have experience using a 48" as a desk monitor? Any other go to desk picks for something like this?

My only hold up about the C1 is the ppi. I want the wow factor of oled and hdr for games but will browsing the web look blurry compared to my 27inch 1440p monitor?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Rinkles posted:

IPS glow is directly related to off-angle viewing so it will be significantly reduced when sitting at the sweet spot of the curve and probably a lot less noticeable anywhere in front of the sweet spot, but be aware that curved displays are much more likely to have backlight bleed issues caused by pressure applied to the edge of the panel.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Yeah the real issue with irregularity on IPS is due to edge backlighting and inevitable bleeding at the corners. A larger screen is going to tend to be worse. It's actually one of the reasons I dislike ultrawides - any time you're looking at dark 16:9 content, it looks worse than it would on a 16:9 screen, because you've got this really noticeable corner bleed outside the dark image.

ACValiant posted:

My only hold up about the C1 is the ppi. I want the wow factor of oled and hdr for games but will browsing the web look blurry compared to my 27inch 1440p monitor?

As to PPI on the C1 and clarity, that's a function of how far you sit from it. If you have a setup where you can wall mount a TV 4-5' away from your eyes, you can get a decent PPI. The real problem is that this prevents you from putting it side by side with another monitor, and I will never, ever, ever go back to single monitor. If you don't mind the two being physically disjointed from each other, it's probably fine.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I was kinda shocked when I noticed it on the LG, cause I was lead to believe IPS panels had great viewing angles. And yeah they do but that should come with a big loving disclaimer about IPS glow.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

ACValiant posted:

Well, I just ordered the C1 and it'll be here next week so I'll let you know. 🥴

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Just got the LG 27GN950-B 27 Inch UHD (3840 x 2160) Nano IPS Display Ultragear Gaming Monitor with 1ms Response Time 144Hz Refresh Rate and G-SYNC Compatibility, and it's surprisingly not too bad. All the display modes are some horrid "gamer" mode, with FPS mode as far as I can tell being a rather lame cheat method for brightening everything. It apparently has a fan which is common to this type of screen, but haven't heard it yet.

With an nVidia RTX 4000 I'm seeing 100-120fps at 4K. Hilariously I had to increase crosshair size because at 4K it was way too small.

Replaces a 20 year old Sharp 20", which is about 18" widescreen equivalent.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

MrMoo posted:

Just got the LG 27GN950-B 27 Inch UHD (3840 x 2160) Nano IPS Display Ultragear Gaming Monitor with 1ms Response Time 144Hz Refresh Rate and G-SYNC Compatibility, and it's surprisingly not too bad. All the display modes are some horrid "gamer" mode, with FPS mode as far as I can tell being a rather lame cheat method for brightening everything. It apparently has a fan which is common to this type of screen, but haven't heard it yet.

With an nVidia RTX 4000 I'm seeing 100-120fps at 4K. Hilariously I had to increase crosshair size because at 4K it was way too small.

Replaces a 20 year old Sharp 20", which is about 18" widescreen equivalent.

Workstation card, nice. In my experience, ALL built-in 'modes' are garbage. Calibrate the screen to your liking and then never change it.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Biodome posted:

Well, I just ordered the C1 and it'll be here next week so I'll let you know. 🥴

Yeah please do!

I didn't really consider the fact that having a second monitor would be sort of taken out of the picture. I really want something with HDR on it and this seems like really the only viable option without putting 5k into a monitor.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Kind of a weird question. I have a Dark Matter by Monoprice 34" ultrawide monitor. Long story short, bought it in October, stopped displaying anything this morning, did all of the troubleshooting I can and the TLDR is that it's dead, can't even bring up the OSD. Backlight turns on but the display remains black.

Of course I reached out to Monoprice and set up an RMA... but the box for this monitor was huge. I certainly didn't have room to store it in my house anywhere, so I pitched it pretty quick.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to mail a big ol' curved ultrawide monitor without the original box? I have a big roll of the anti-static bubble wrap, and that's about it. I'd think about using something like a small TV box, but with the monitor being curved I don't know if that will work out great.

Ignore that question, I ended up asking Monoprice the same thing. They are just going to ship me the replacement first so I can send the defective one back. :toot:

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 2, 2021

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Finally managed to snag an RTX 3070 today! I'm probably going to hold off on a new 1440 monitor for a couple months still. My current and kind of old 1080 monitor (BenQ XL2411Z) only supports 144 Hz over DVI Dual Link which poses a problem with the new GPU's outputs. Someone said I can just get an adapter to go from DisplayPort -> DVI Dual Link. A quick google search pulls up a bunch of results for this product but does anyone have a particular recommendation or things to look out for when buying?

Edit: After some more poking around and seeing this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-connect-to-a-120-hz-display.3268285/#20840967 it seems that the proper active adapter needed is kind of pricey. If that's really the case guess I'll just live with 60 Hz until I do a monitor upgrade :)

SeXTcube fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 2, 2021

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Nevermind, I got it!

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 3, 2021

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Is this the right place to ask about 4K TVs? I want an OLED screen and have heard the LG CX series is the way to go

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

TV chat goes in IYG unless you're wanting to use it as a monitor

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523461

Mokhu
Mar 3, 2004

NCAA Hopesman Winner 2008
Fallen Rib
Will they ever release a 4k/144hz ultra wide monitor? Something along the lines of 32-34"? It seems like we're able to get larger screens (43-49") with those specs, but not when going ultrawide. Is this due to the overall resolution being different?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
LG are making 5120x2160 ultrawides so it seems like only a matter of time before they go high refresh rate.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Mokhu posted:

Will they ever release a 4k/144hz ultra wide monitor? Something along the lines of 32-34"? It seems like we're able to get larger screens (43-49") with those specs, but not when going ultrawide. Is this due to the overall resolution being different?
I suspect you won't start seeing that till DisplayPort 2.0 and HDMI 2.1 reach widespread adoption.

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

Mokhu posted:

There are a handful of 38" 3840x1600 @ 144hz if that's the resolution you're referring to (not 5k2k).

Dell AW3821DW and LG 38WN75C

Rebus fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 3, 2021

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

hbag posted:

where can i get a cheap colour CRT tv (or monitor with a coaxial input)
and i do mean cheap

I have found crt’s for sale at both pawn shops and Goodwill stores. Back when Tie Fighter was cutting edge I bought a 27” color crt at a pawn shop in Nashville (I’m outside of Memphis). I drove down and the guy was complaining not only about the gouges on the plastic but also how loving unwieldy and heavy it was. I got it for $150, because he just wanted it gone! I had to wedge a custom measured 2x4 under the monitor hutch on my computer desk, and although it fit left-to-right, I had to remove the shelf above to allow it to fit. I gave it to my brother-in-law in a trade for an entire flight sim setup in 2015, and last I saw he was running a full Unix-from-the-80s desktop (his Ph. D is in CompSci). Still chugging along to this day AFAIK.

Pawn shop, charity/vintage shop, or even a big local business or hospital.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Thanks to all the helpful info here, I finally stepped up from 1080 to 1440, and high refresh rate. Got a MSI MAG274QRF-QD.

Generally like it except it seems like it's got poor gray balance? Most of the right side of the screen, is a slightly warmer color temperature than the left side. With the exception of the far right two inches, which seem to both cool off again and also dim down. I tried to take a photo of this, but honestly it's too subtle for a cell phone camera to pick up. This isn't apparent during games or video but when you have a light gray or white background, say for instance while wasting too much time on SA, it's kinda annoying.

Basically, I can't tell if I'm being Midwestern polite here by not immediately rejecting this. Is what I am describing totally a send it back defect, or something that's just kinda marginal and acceptable? I have never owned anything I'd remotely call a fancy monitor before.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
sounds like a uniformity defect

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

A monitor is not a disposable product. You haven't purchased a budget product either, or one that you might reasonably expect to be compromised in that particular way. You need to make sure you have something that will make you happy long-term.

One quick thing I do recommend is checking it with just one eye at a time. It's possible you have a color imbalance between your eyes, I had one for a few years as a result of an eye injury and it eventually went away.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Thank you both - Just tried the eye switch thing with no difference, so back it goes.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
The LG 27GN800-B is down to $297 on amazon. I'm really tempted but I can't justify buying a second 1440p/144hz monitor while I'm still struggling to get a GPU at non-scam prices.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LLD2QXJ

These panels are still time-dithered HDR, correct?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Ffycchi posted:

Issue is VA panels are terrible and curved ips are the cost of a new computer/a cheap car.

Neither of these statements are really true anymore. VA isn't great but the decent ones are legit not terrible anymore. And while the good high-hz IPS ultrawides are indeed expensive, you're not even getting a freakin' 3060 off eBay for the price of one anymore, let alone the rest of the computer, and if you're buying a car for $1,000 I hope you don't expect to need it to actually work for long.

High-hz ultrawides rock, if you can afford them.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Basically only the highest end Samsung VA's have reasonable transitions, the rest of the market is no different than before, and they have their own problems with flickering and adaptive sync

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Any OLED 4k 120hz 24" - 30" PC monitors on the market yet? I'm not too concerned about price as long as we aren't talking $2000+

I'm willing to compromise on the 120hz part.

I probably won't be worried about any FPS games newer then TF2 and I'm more then happy to run at <4k resolution, or letter boxed or whatever. My videocard is a bit old at a Nvidia 970, but since that is impossible to replace right now, I figure I can get a good monitor and then upgrade the video card later.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 8, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Dell had a 30" 4K60 monitor but it was discontinued with no replacement AFAIK

LG has 27" and 32" 4K60 OLEDs launching soon, but they'll probably be >$2000

https://www.notebookcheck.net/LG-s-first-32-inch-and-4K-OLED-monitor-gets-a-release-date-and-an-eye-watering-price-tag.526414.0.html

There aren't any 4K120 OLED monitors so the closest you can get is an LG OLED TV (minimum 48")

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Yea I saw that Dell. Was hoping there was a replacement for it but alas :/ And yea looks like the others aren't actually shipping yet. Dang. My current monitor is dying so I was hoping ot get a replacement in the next week or so, but I may be SoL, or have to get a non OLED one :/

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Fats posted:

Having just got one last week (I went with the LG34GP83A, to match my existing 27" LG panels), I'd agree that the curve doesn't really add anything. Maybe on the 49" super crazy wide monitors it makes sense.

I was just looking at this monitor, having just scored a 6700XT. How is it? Have you noticed any issues at all?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Yea I saw that Dell. Was hoping there was a replacement for it but alas :/ And yea looks like the others aren't actually shipping yet. Dang. My current monitor is dying so I was hoping ot get a replacement in the next week or so, but I may be SoL, or have to get a non OLED one :/

OLED is probably never going to be a thing for PC monitors outside of large TVs. And the good news is, it's looking increasingly likely that MicroLED will never be a real thing either! Enjoy LCDs for another 20+ years!

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

K8.0 posted:

OLED is probably never going to be a thing for PC monitors outside of large TVs. And the good news is, it's looking increasingly likely that MicroLED will never be a real thing either! Enjoy LCDs for another 20+ years!

I hate this. I'm probably going to get a LG C1, a 48 inch beast, just because the alternatives in the monitor space are just not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

ACValiant posted:

I hate this. I'm probably going to get a LG C1, a 48 inch beast, just because the alternatives in the monitor space are just not great.

Have you tried using a normal monitor? There are some pretty good ones out there.