Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I don't have an active Twitter account so I can't post whatever announcements they've made there, but I've been seeing on FB that Jakob is currently writing/recording a new album. It's been 7 years since their last one (Sines). I'm really looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
GY!BE track listing for the LP release:

12"
A1 A Military Alphabet (five eyes all blind) (4521.0kHz 6730.0kHz 4109.09kHz) / Job’s Lament / First of the Last Glaciers / where we break how we shine (ROCKETS FOR MARY) 20:22
B1 “GOVERNMENT CAME” (9980.0kHz 3617.1kHz 4521.0 kHz) / Cliffs Gaze / cliffs’ gaze at empty waters’ rise / ASHES TO SEA or NEARER TO THEE 19:48

10"
A1 Fire at Static Valley 5:58
B1 OUR SIDE HAS TO WIN (for D.H.) 6:30

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Hot Diggity! posted:

GY!BE track listing for the LP release:

12"
A1 A Military Alphabet (five eyes all blind) (4521.0kHz 6730.0kHz 4109.09kHz) / Job’s Lament / First of the Last Glaciers / where we break how we shine (ROCKETS FOR MARY) 20:22
B1 “GOVERNMENT CAME” (9980.0kHz 3617.1kHz 4521.0 kHz) / Cliffs Gaze / cliffs’ gaze at empty waters’ rise / ASHES TO SEA or NEARER TO THEE 19:48

10"
A1 Fire at Static Valley 5:58
B1 OUR SIDE HAS TO WIN (for D.H.) 6:30

I do ham radio and SWL so I’m wondering what the significance of the frequencies is

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Probably numbers stations

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Yeah I guessed so. There’s a few seemingly running on a couple of those frequencies, but the opening of the album sounds like the US HFGCS but the frequencies listed aren’t matching any in the track listing.

Perhaps the frequencies are meaningless

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

thehustler posted:

Perhaps the frequencies are meaningless

new thread title?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

funkybottoms posted:

new thread title?

Definitely

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

65dos are doing an AMA right now https://www.reddit.com/r/postrock/comments/mh6wrb/this_is_65daysofstatic_ask_us_anything/

also lol I’d be honoured

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

funkybottoms posted:

new thread title?

:agreed:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I know I already mentioned it but GOD drat I'm so stuck on the most recent Grails, Chalice Hymnal. It covers so much ground, there's a song on it that legit sounds like Portishead

Edit: and pursuant to Arab Strap chat, holy gently caress "Another Clockwork Day" is brutal:

For the second time this week, he plugs in the external drive
He clicks through his archive to find the folder he needs
He knows this path well

He was bored with himself, tired of routine
Free Live Cams left him limp
The sounds of commerce, a complete turn off
And the films these days, with their surgery scars and bad tats
And it's all stepmoms and stepsisters now
What the gently caress's all that about?

So ends another clockwork day
Of worn out luck and waning click
The last awake, a door shut time
So ends another clockwork night

No, he needed something real
And now he knows where to find it

IMG4329, the flushed flesh of new love in summer
The curtains drawn, the sun secluded and a gift that fits
IMG4378, fastening the strap of a sharpened shoe on a hotel table
The puckish promise of a bended knee
IMG4398, a borrowed hoodie and a bruised thigh
The absent eyes of afternoon afterglow
And the suspense of more to come

IMG4457, wearing nothing but a new postcode
Statuesque on the bedspread plinth in reddened room
As family smiles from fresh IKEA friends
IMG4564, the sleeping Venus in a half-painted kitchen
As hopeful spermatozoa race to an oval's open arms
IMG4382, an intimate closeup of a solitary act
Sent like a love letter long, long ago

Secretly sated once again
He softly ascends to the bedroom
And slips gently under covers to join a snoring spouse
In the almost dark, she's hardly aged a day
When he removes his glasses
She looks just the same as she does in the pixels of those old JPEGs
Those low-res memories buried in folders within folders

Simone Magus fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 31, 2021

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Simone Magus posted:

Edit: and pursuant to Arab Strap chat, holy gently caress "Another Clockwork Day" is brutal:

seems more cute than brutal!

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

New Godspeed kicks rear end, out already if you bought it on bandcamp

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
job's lament is so insanely catchy

HOT4DREMELS
Aug 25, 2018

YES!!!!!!!
It's pretty good. GOVERNMENT CAME is a favorite

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It's all real good IMHO! Not to reiterate empty praise too much, I just never cared much for any release after Yanqui UXO until now.

I really enjoyed Our Side Has To Win, but I will not deny that context plays a notable part of it.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
It's really good. I preferred the first two tracks to the second two, but potentially I'd drifted off a bit and not paid as much attention later as I did earlier. It's all wonderfully competent though - great to listen to something that I knew I was going to enjoy and just being entirely satisfied that it was as good as expected.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, the album's great. I've listened twice and it's very cinematic, as Godspeed albums usually are. I wish I could see them play it live :(

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Probably gonna break in my new sound card with this record

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
the last track on the new godspeed almost sounds a little blade runner-ey

solid album, maybe my favourite since the reunion

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Job's Lament is such a banger. Maybe the closest they've come to recapturing the opening two movements of Storm

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Yeah, I'm surprised I like it as much as you goons do. Probably the best post-hiatus one yet.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

WaryWarren posted:

Yeah, I'm surprised I like it as much as you goons do. Probably the best post-hiatus one yet.

I'd rather have had two more ASMZ/Fly Pan Am/Do Make Say Think albums than the first two reunion ones, but yeah this new one is an instant classic. Towers was very good too.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I’ve liked all of their releases. There’s less filler in Towers and this new one but I love mladic so much that redeems that album. Behemoth as a whole is also a good piece of music.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Simone Magus posted:

I'd rather have had two more ASMZ/Fly Pan Am/Do Make Say Think albums than the first two reunion ones, but yeah this new one is an instant classic. Towers was very good too.

poo poo, it's already been 7 years since the last ASMZ record.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
You all seemed to enjoy my last release and at this point I'm about halfway through writing and recording a new album. This section is the centerpiece of the first part and is like 97% finished, just making tiny mixing edits at this point. I'd be curious to hear what some post-rock fans think if you want to check it out. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AXJs4UW86gnoTxlCcFmy9xIuuVLk1HvY/view?usp=sharing

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
A friend of mine's band just released their debut full-length - post-rock with elements of black metal (more in the vein of Deafheaven, though, so maybe blackgaze?). It's really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8kU1LpD9eA

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
GY!BE to hold worldwide superspreader events in early 2022. :)

https://pitchfork.com/news/godspeed-you-black-emperor-announce-2022-world-tour

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

hell yes

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m gonna hopefully live somewhere closer to one of those shows by next year!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
already called a day off so i can see them in DC and Richmond

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I have never seen them live so you better believe I'm gonna be at one of those

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I've seen them twice and both times were excessively weird shows. Awesome twinkly post rock is divine but post rock crowds are the laziest sleepiest most low energy crowds in existence. You have like 1,200 people squished shoulder to shoulder in the Starland Ballroom like it's a fuckin' brostep show but no one is moving, no dancing, just a giant mass of people listlessly floating to heavy noise and vibing like a kelp bed at the bottom of the ocean.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I saw them inside this gorgeous church with maybe 150 people in the crowd, that was a pretty amazing show.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Johnny Truant posted:

I saw them inside this gorgeous church with maybe 150 people in the crowd, that was a pretty amazing show.

Is that the Chicago chapel one? I had tickets but was incredibly sick and couldn't go.

Caught them a few years later at the Metro though.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Hot Diggity! posted:

Is that the Chicago chapel one? I had tickets but was incredibly sick and couldn't go.

Caught them a few years later at the Metro though.

Spot on! Was a great fuckin show. A bit pricey but absolutely worth it.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
I saw em in a festival immediately after Herbie Hancock and it loving ruled

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm bummed that they aren't coming anywhere near me on this tour :(

faptown
Dec 6, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

I've seen them twice and both times were excessively weird shows. Awesome twinkly post rock is divine but post rock crowds are the laziest sleepiest most low energy crowds in existence. You have like 1,200 people squished shoulder to shoulder in the Starland Ballroom like it's a fuckin' brostep show but no one is moving, no dancing, just a giant mass of people listlessly floating to heavy noise and vibing like a kelp bed at the bottom of the ocean.

Oh you were at that Explosions in the Sky show too?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Genuinely curious, what kind of whole-crowd dancing would make a post rock show more enjoyable to you?

I totally get what you mean, most shows are just a few hundred people with beards swaying but, like, what's the alternative? poo poo like everybody sit down and jump up at the drop in Fear Satan? Actually, that would be pretty hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I would love to see a mosh pit spontaneously happen at like, a GY!BE show.