Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Notorious ZSB posted:

You've mentioned multiple films where the human plot is certainly serviceable, esp in the showa era where it was basically "chase down the aliens/uncover the mysterious information". That doesn't equate to good for most viewers because you still have no real attachment to the humans and what they're doing. A lot of those plots were literally just tools to transport the characters to a new place to see the monsters appear again (Sea Monster, Terror of Mecha G, at least one of the Ghidorah films).

Are you really including Ebirah on that list? It stands out to me as the Showa Godzilla film in which Godzilla plays second fiddle to the humans. It's an adventure movie featuring Godzilla. Hell, Godzilla would've slept through the whole movie if the humans hadn't decided to wake him up to help them escape the island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Japanese release of Godzilla vs Kong will feature a theme song by MAN WITH A MISSION, the genetically enhanced Antarctic super wolves band that did the theme song for Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans

https://twitter.com/GodzillaMovieJP/status/1380294387838685188?s=20

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Gripweed posted:

The Japanese release of Godzilla vs Kong will feature a theme song by MAN WITH A MISSION, the genetically enhanced Antarctic super wolves band that did the theme song for Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans

https://twitter.com/GodzillaMovieJP/status/1380294387838685188?s=20

My flag is raised.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I hope the Japanese version also has an alternate ending.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Gripweed posted:

Are you really including Ebirah on that list? It stands out to me as the Showa Godzilla film in which Godzilla plays second fiddle to the humans. It's an adventure movie featuring Godzilla. Hell, Godzilla would've slept through the whole movie if the humans hadn't decided to wake him up to help them escape the island.

Maybe it's just my memory of the film, but as a kid it seemed to me that the humans were explicitly there to get Godzilla into some action. It's a solid plot to do so! But they literally lead godzilla from thing to thing across the island to gently caress poo poo up? Their entire adventure from the 1/3rd point on is them going places so that you can then have a scene where Godzilla does something. It's fun, I love that film, I just never perceived the human story as being really any deeper than the adventure across the island for zilla set pieces. I think one of the last lines in my post explicitly defends this kind of film as fine and good. I just don't think it's an example of a kaiju film that's exploring more than the set pieces. Which again is explicitly okay if you do it right and make it fun.

I'll grant you I do think fondly of Ebira and its certainly one of the easier to enjoy human plots from the era.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 9, 2021

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

Easter Sunday, but it's APEX wondering where Ghidorah's head has gone

Drake and josh must have got real weird in its later seasons

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/rhyschryspies/status/1380279594536689669?s=21

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I think it's less that they're "lovely" per se and more that they are often threadbare vehicles to transport the viewer from one monster fight to the next. Which imo is really all the people in this film are here to do. If anyone but maybe the little girl got stomped I wouldn't care, and I didn't care when (oh name drop you're related to the bad guy/good guy) gets got in this film. I feel like it has less to do with the quality of the story than their place in us engaging with it.

You've mentioned multiple films where the human plot is certainly serviceable, esp in the showa era where it was basically "chase down the aliens/uncover the mysterious information". That doesn't equate to good for most viewers because you still have no real attachment to the humans and what they're doing. A lot of those plots were literally just tools to transport the characters to a new place to see the monsters appear again (Sea Monster, Terror of Mecha G, at least one of the Ghidorah films).

We know this is horse-poo poo because Ishiro Honda has directed plenty of scifi movies with few or no monsters at all, and they all slap in the same way. The Human Vapour, The H-Man, Dogora, Matango, etc.

Imagine watching Gorath and tuning out “the human plot”, just to see your favorite kaijus. Gorath is an inanimate ball of matter. Maguma is onscreen for like three minutes.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

How was Cranston a bait and switch?? gently caress man I hate hearing that poo poo. Sorry he didn’t go Walter White in Godzilla.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Vintersorg posted:

How was Cranston a bait and switch?? gently caress man I hate hearing that poo poo. Sorry he didn’t go Walter White in Godzilla.

Cranston was very prominently featured in the advertising but was only in the first like ten minutes of the movie. And his character was the one with the most drive and clearest overall goal and motivation and was the most entertaining to watch. So you go in expecting a lot of Cranston, and at first it seems like you're gonna get a lot of Cranston and it's gonna be great, but then you don't.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

people were expecting a good lead actor and instead got stuck with a bad lead actor nobody likes

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Man, whatever. To each their own. Cranston wasn't integral to the movie and the Brodie character carried the rest of the movie giving the audience a view from below. Something the other movies totally lack minus Skull Island which knew how to use it's human ensemble.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ford Brody is still the funniest character name

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
You have to remember that Breaking Bad was huge, and Cranston hadn't really done any big movie work up to that point. So this was his first major role post-Breaking Bad where people were like "oh cool, let's see what Cranston can do in a blockbuster movie!" and the marketing absolutely played off of that.

I saw the movie with my father and when Cranston died we both looked at each other and rolled our eyes as if to say ahhh we got bamboozled.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You did and that’s good.

My favorite thing is the movie fucks with you. And it’s hilarious.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Oh yea I'm not even complaining. It's like Seagal in Executive Decision.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

mandatory lesbian posted:

Drake and josh must have got real weird in its later seasons

I'd be down for Drake & Josh's Excellent Adventure

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I hate getting hosed with at the movies.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's great and directors owe you nothing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gripweed posted:

It’s great and powerful

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

We know this is horse-poo poo because Ishiro Honda has directed plenty of scifi movies with few or no monsters at all, and they all slap in the same way. The Human Vapour, The H-Man, Dogora, Matango, etc.

Imagine watching Gorath and tuning out “the human plot”, just to see your favorite kaijus. Gorath is an inanimate ball of matter. Maguma is onscreen for like three minutes.

Sounds like those are far more in the former camp of Kaiju films (human issue exploration with monsters) than the latter (monster punching spectacular). Both are good and fine. I don't think that invalidates my position that some kaiju films use the human element almost exclusively to setup monster bits.

I think GvK is way more the latter than the former. I like both kinds, whats the issue here SMG?

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I do like the idea that Papa Brody's family was torn apart and so Brody Jr's journey is an attempt to prevent history repeating itself with his own family. It adds real emotion to his reunion with his wife and Desplat reprises the theme for when Binoche died to great effect. It is good, it largely works, it is just that Brody Jr's character is kind, stoic and focused which makes him a great aspirational figure in some respects but means he doesn't really conflict with anyone or have much drama to play with other than the geographical journey of getting from Hawaii to San Francisco.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Vintersorg posted:

It's great and directors owe you nothing.

I don't think I ever said Gareth Edwards owes me something.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Gripweed posted:

I love it. A perfect getaway and atonement are a couple of my favorite movies for this reason. The super hero boom has really placated viewer expectation into bite sized easily digestible moments of tension and mystery. Rian Johnson got a ton of hate for doing what generations of directors did before him, look at what he's seen and expects from a genre and swerving. That's how cinema thrives.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Gripweed posted:

I don't think I ever said Gareth Edwards owes me something.

No but I was kidding around because you dont like being messed with. :cheeky:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Cranston takeout wasn't even a creative decision, the expectation of lots of Cranston was created by the marketing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Cranston was a big deal regardless of the marketing.

People were still hungry for him, and breaking bad JUST ended

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

bushisms.txt posted:

I love it. A perfect getaway and atonement are a couple of my favorite movies for this reason. The super hero boom has really placated viewer expectation into bite sized easily digestible moments of tension and mystery. Rian Johnson got a ton of hate for doing what generations of directors did before him, look at what he's seen and expects from a genre and swerving. That's how cinema thrives.

:rolleyes:

People will defend any amount of poo poo if it even slightly fits with what they like. Scream or Nightmare killing the perceived main character early in the movie is not the same as in a Godzilla movie. I'm not really here to see humans so if I have to see them I would want it to be great actors like Cranston. To then do the opposite just pisses me off. Not even gonna get into that other tired take.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

imo marketing has nothing to do with it, the blunder of Cranston's character dying was that he was the only well-developed and interesting character, nothing more.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt was wanted for the army dude "to carry the movie". However, I doubt this would have magically fixed anything because the writing was poor. Didn't Frank Darabont doctor the first third of the script which made Cranston accept his part? His portion of the movie was stellar, the rest, not so much.

They did a great job with the monsters though.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cranston served his purpose and did it well. He was never a main character. You made him that in your head.

E: Ignoring hindsight I do not get ANY vibes he was the main character and you were bamboozled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjMuvAHgx5E

Also this trailer is so loving good still.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 9, 2021

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Cranston dies around the 40 minute mark and until then he absolutely dominates the narrative. It’s not exactly the fleeting cameo people love to pretend it is to fit their argument that we were somehow robbed of a larger Cranston role.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Well there's a good sub of Singular Point episode 2 out now so I suggest y'all watch that if you want some good Godzilla content.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Well there's a good sub of Singular Point episode 2 out now so I suggest y'all watch that if you want some good Godzilla content.

Do we know if/when it’s hitting the US? I don’t mind waiting if it’s been announced.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Cranston dies around the 40 minute mark and until then he absolutely dominates the narrative. It’s not exactly the fleeting cameo people love to pretend it is to fit their argument that we were somehow robbed of a larger Cranston role.

And when he dies he just gets replaced by godzilla! And his story is over at that point anyway, he’s found “the truth” and showed his son he wasn’t (just) a crazy, lovely dad - all that’s left is revenge on the MUTO, which is impossible without...becoming godzilla

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Do we know if/when it’s hitting the US? I don’t mind waiting if it’s been announced.

Yeah, I thought this was coming this month to NA too. And my places don't have it for some reason. :(

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Nothing specific yet; iirc they simply said it would be later this year.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah and there's no doubt the opening is entirely presented from his POV. It's his perspective you're invited into initially, plus he has the tragic scene which typically sets up a final act catharsis - I think the film more than suggests he is the lead, and deliberately so. That catharsis still happens, just not with him.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Ford Brody is still the funniest character name

It's good but Frank Grillo's new joint calls his character "Roy Pulver" and that is in that league, to me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCgSq4Io4B0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's good but Frank Grillo's new joint calls his character "Roy Pulver" and that is in that league, to me.

what in the world