Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

pseudanonymous posted:

Is France...is France heaven?

Can I get a legal opinion on that?

I found out in November 2016 that France had a right of return for descendants of French Huguenot exiles . . . until 1950ish when they revoked it

so, so bitter about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

France is a racist neoliberal hell. Which makes it like a lot of other counties. Don’t be Muslim there I guess.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

France is great if you are established there and don't like change.

Or if you are a left wing radical and like performative violence then rioting is a weekend national pastime.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Alchenar posted:

France is great if you are established there and don't like change.

Or if you are a left wing radical and like performative violence then rioting is a weekend national pastime.

Weekend? Sir, you insult the French. They are riot professionals.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Phil Moscowitz posted:

But when you’re in the mood for bread, wine, cheese, pastries, fresh meat and produce, doing nothing, and being sarcastic and overly critical for no good reason, France is perfect.

gently caress, I need to move. And learn to speak french slightly well.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Is this thread being paid to sell France? Cause you're doing a good job, like drat.

Except the racism part, but maybe that'll just make it feel like home.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1366166246224519173?s=20

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I understand you have to provide the best defence you can while representing your client, but fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck...

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
How dare he resist impending death from asphyxiation by pleading for his life, truly criminal stuff

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

How dare he resist impending death from asphyxiation by pleading for his life, truly criminal stuff

If you make a juror laugh with a bad argument do they get dismissed

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

toplitzin posted:

I understand you have to provide the best defence you can while representing your client, but fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck...

Isn't that a first amendment issue then?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Motronic posted:

It's a lot more realistic than most people think. You just need to get out of the mentality that someone willing to hire you is doing YOU a favor.

That very much depends on your line of work and seniority. I could do that as a senior computer toucher. Someone applying as a fry cook? Come on now.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

feedmegin posted:

That very much depends on your line of work and seniority. I could do that as a senior computer toucher. Someone applying as a fry cook? Come on now.

Long John Silvers must have changed their employment contract to add the IP and patent requirements since the last time I was recruited

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

feedmegin posted:

Of course there's a limit to this. My point is more people are capable of this than they think. And it's also a tragedy of the commons the lower on the ladder you go.....since very few do it........wait....it's almost like if there were some method of collectively doing this as labor with the people hiring labor. Someone who could bargain for you........

Also it's laughable you'd bring this up in the context of this particular contract.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Motronic posted:

Of course there's a limit to this. My point is more people are capable of this than they think. And it's also a tragedy of the commons the lower on the ladder you go.....since very few do it........wait....it's almost like if there were some method of collectively doing this as labor with the people hiring labor. Someone who could bargain for you........

Also it's laughable you'd bring this up in the context of this particular contract.

Alternatively then someone applying for their very first programming job, but you did pretty much claim everyone has this leverage in general. We are privileged to be in this position.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

feedmegin posted:

Alternatively then someone applying for their very first programming job, but you did pretty much claim everyone has this leverage in general. We are privileged to be in this position.

Nice try capitalist, you already took your mask off

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Devor posted:

If you make a juror laugh with a bad argument do they get dismissed

Only the ones who aren't asleep in the juror's box.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I’ve been dealing with one about a succession since my dad died almost two years ago. When they aren’t on vacation (which is like 1/3 of the year) they take forever to get back to me and don’t answer my questions. For the first 18 months or so I was very French and wrote the emails like a French lawyer (flowery “business” language and salutations etc). Now I write like an American client/lawyer with specific bullet point questions and still can’t get basic questions answered like:

- what have you done so far
- is the succession closed? Is the succession open?
- what percentages will the estate be split among the heirs?
- what is the process and how much of it is left?
- can we sign documents electronically or do we have to be there in person?
- are there documents to sign?
- what is your fee?
- how much money can I wire you to pay you to get this thing finished?

It’s just so alien compared to my practice and that of American lawyers I’ve dealt with. But what am I going to do, fire them? Not like I can travel to France at the moment even if I wanted to. It’s just frustrating.

I hope everything goes well, because my retirement plan is to become a garden hermit on your demesne.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Is persuing libel as difficult as I seem to find in my research? State is OR/US.

EDIT* Answer is of course yes and consult being pursued based on feedback. Thank you!

the spyder fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 8, 2021

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

the spyder posted:

Is persuing libel as difficult as

Yes

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

If you have to ask if you should delete your giant post in this thread you should probably delete it.

Also

Is correct.

Go get an attorney consult.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

feedmegin posted:

you did pretty much claim everyone has this leverage in general.

If that's the level of nuance you are capable of understanding, sure....that's exactly what I claimed.

Eminent Domain posted:

P.S. Unless you have and are willing to spend a lot of money on this with little chance of a favorable outcome no one will take your case. Perhaps not even then.

This likely begins at "uncontested divorce"-level money and just snowballs from there. Hope you can show damages and he's not judgement proof.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Apr 8, 2021

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
Maybe I missed it in the post but, why not just get a restraining order?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Prior restraint is a hard bar to clear

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Edited and thank you.

What does "uncontested divorce" start at?
Is this a $10k, $50k or $100k outlay? Assuming my answer is however far you want to take it.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

the spyder posted:

Edited and thank you.

Is this a $10k, $50k or $100k outlay? Assuming my answer is however far you want to take it.

I'm in Texas. Around 2014/15 i knew a case where a crazy guy was posting crazy things on facebook. The aggrieved party sued him for damages and an inunction preventing him from making any more crazyposts. They paid their lawyer somewhere around $2,000 to file the lawsuit and show up to Court for and get the Temporary Restraining Order (lasts for 14 days). They crazyman figured out how to file an answer and show up. They probably spent another $3 to $5k getting a Temporary Injunction (lasts until judgment day), which the crazy man ignored multiple times, and they spent another $2-$3k getting contempt sanctions against the guy for ignoring the TI. One time the guy got thrown in jail for the weekend.

After about 6 months of dicking with it, the crazy man got a lawyer and they settled - I don't believe they ever got a penny out of the crazy man, because he had zero pennies to pay them with. I also don't think he ever bothered them again on facebook.

This is completely inapplicable to your situation, and has no bearing on what your costs, potential relief, or other hurdles might be. This is only my story.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
But who was that crazy man?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
And what username does he post under?

Fake edit: is it... Blarzgh?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

blarzgh posted:

I'm in Texas. Around 2014/15 i knew a case where a crazy guy was posting crazy things on facebook. The aggrieved party sued him for damages and an inunction preventing him from making any more crazyposts. They paid their lawyer somewhere around $2,000 to file the lawsuit and show up to Court for and get the Temporary Restraining Order (lasts for 14 days). They crazyman figured out how to file an answer and show up. They probably spent another $3 to $5k getting a Temporary Injunction (lasts until judgment day), which the crazy man ignored multiple times, and they spent another $2-$3k getting contempt sanctions against the guy for ignoring the TI. One time the guy got thrown in jail for the weekend.

After about 6 months of dicking with it, the crazy man got a lawyer and they settled - I don't believe they ever got a penny out of the crazy man, because he had zero pennies to pay them with. I also don't think he ever bothered them again on facebook.

This is completely inapplicable to your situation, and has no bearing on what your costs, potential relief, or other hurdles might be. This is only my story.

:hmmyes:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

I am legally prohibited from answering this question, other than to say, "there was a dispute at one time, and the parties have reached an amicable resolution."

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I know it's a page back but I just wanted to mention that France is fine as long as you look European, are male, and don't look in any way vaguely Arab or Muslim. If you're a woman, non-white, or Muslim then get ready for a totally different ride (especially if you check off all three).

When we lived in Switzerland my wife took a day trip to France to give a talk at a university, and living in Switzerland her danger sense was completely off so she just took a train there by herself. The degree of racism and sexual harrassment she experienced was absolutely ridiculous, and actually traumatized her a bit. And this was from a woman that started college in the US days before 9/11. Saying France is "racist" is such an understatement that I think most Americans can't picture how bad it is there.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

My attorney unexpectedly answered my email on vacation.

Clause 4.1 there is intended to convey that "if Employee makes something off-work that Employee thinks is IP, then Employee needs to let Company know that it is off-work IP and will not be assigned to Company."

He also told me that having my own LLC for off-work stuff makes the assignment of IP a non-issue.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Nice piece of fish posted:

"It was me, Hgzralb!"

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Foxfire_ posted:

"It was me, Hgzralb!"

I appreciate all the effort that went into this.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I'm asking this question for my FIL who was recently contacted by a lawyer. I know the suggestion will likely be lawyer up, but I'm unsure what to look for and what the potential risks are. I'm going to try to keep it vague, but will provide details if necessary (and I can get them).

From what I understand:
1. FIL previously owned a small, local business in Ohio which he created a patent for a piece of machinery that the company used and/or sold.
2. Business sold this piece of machinery to another person/company over 20 years ago.
3. FIL sold the business ~15 years ago and the patent was included in the sale.
4. The company that purchased this piece of machinery was using it within the past 6 months using it and someone was injured. I believe the machinery was being used in Vermont.
5. The injured party has hired a lawyer and deposed my FIL about the patent and the piece of machinery (that's all I know at the moment)

FIL is near 80 years old, lives only off social security, has no business insurance (or whatever that would be) since he sold the business. He is getting worried and keeps asking questions about what will happen/I have no money/why are they asking me questions about this/do I have any liability since I sold the business and the patent 15 years ago/etc etc. I told my wife he should be asking his lawyer that he hires for this these questions, but he doesn't have the money to hire a lawyer.

I know enough to know that the other lawyer is trying to build a case and I assume it's against the current business that he no longer owns and holds the patent. What kind of lawyer should we be looking for and/or what kinds of questions should he be asking? I told my wife he never should have agreed to a deposition without his own lawyer, but too late now. I think he originally thought "I don't have anything valuable, why would they come after me" and now he's thinking "Can they come after me and if they do, I don't have anything, so what can they take".

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

if your father in law was already deposed, then there's not much more to do besides sit around and wait and to not say anything further without a lawyer

he probably should have gotten the lawyer first but the plaintiff lawyer isn't going to be trying to go after someone who is judgement-proof: their goal is to go after the company and/or its insurers.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

evilweasel posted:

if your father in law was already deposed, then there's not much more to do besides sit around and wait and to not say anything further without a lawyer

he probably should have gotten the lawyer first but the plaintiff lawyer isn't going to be trying to go after someone who is judgement-proof: their goal is to go after the company and/or its insurers.

I figured, got it, thank you. Well have him look for a lawyer and have him keep him mouth shut otherwise!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

the spyder posted:

Edited and thank you.

For my wife and I in Michigan it was about $500 iirc, but neither of us hired lawyers.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Eminent Domain posted:

If you have to ask if you should delete your giant post in this thread you should probably delete it.

Also

Is correct.

Legal Questions: The answer to "should I delete my post" is YES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In many states If the parties agree they can do the divorce themselves for filing fees

This is dumb tho don’t do this