Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

rabidsquid posted:

twelve weapons, you forgot the chainsaw and the car
You only get to use them once, so they probably don't count for this. Otherwise we'd have to put the prologue hatchet on the list as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

If you include the DLC there’s even more including Uncle Joe’s Bare Fists

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The GDQ RE marathon is up on Youtube now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC5xCCCmESk

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Yesterday someone said to me that OG Albert Wesker looks like Johnny Bravo and now I can't unsee it. Whoa mama!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cardiovorax posted:

Yesterday someone said to me that OG Albert Wesker looks like Johnny Bravo and now I can't unsee it. Whoa mama!

Wesker has a son which means he's actually more successful with the ladies than Johnny Bravo

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
https://designyoutrust.com/2021/03/worlds-tallest-supermodel-and-olympian-breaks-internet-with-lady-dimitrescu-resident-evil-cosplay/

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Gotta admit, she makes it look good.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I can't explain how happy I am that they aren't reusing the weapon sound effects from RE4.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
PlayStation people, the spring sale is on and pretty much all RE stuff is on sale. I got REmake, 0, and the bonus items for RE2make for a total of about $12

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

punk rebel ecks posted:

Gamesradar just did a great interview with Mikami.

I had no idea that Resident Evil saved Capcom from bankruptcy. I was under the impression that the company was in good shape during the mid-90s with all of those fighting games.

I guess that'd make sense, now that you mention it. Capcom went all in on the Saturn.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Capcom really struggled with the switch to 3D and RE was one of its few breakout hits of the time. Arcades were dying and sales of home console versions of 2D fighting games had dropped way off since the SF2 heyday and yeah the Saturn lol

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
In Revelations 2, is there a way to swing the knife when you have a Molotov on your person? I keep going to smack a crate open and hucking firebombs.

e: you just click without aiming. SMRT.

UltraShame fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Apr 6, 2021

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Was there ever a part of OG RE3 that dangled the idea of the government calling of the strike, even in a text (besides the project supervisors getting told to bug out)? I think it really works nicely with the new doc and the changes done with Tyrell. I mean we all know it isn’t getting stopped, but I still think it’s a neat little addition that keeps the story moving nicely.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

No, the original game portrays the nuking of Raccoon City as a last measure of desperation because the government has decided that there's no other way to salvage the situation anymore and the virus has to be purged at all costs. The idea of calling it off is never brought up.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
wasnt the nuke t-rex dude's decision from 6?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m going to give the RE:VERSE beta a try today, even if it is probably going to be heavily disliked. I get people want Outbreak and I’d be fine with that, but I’m not opposed to this either. I like something a little more straight forward then Resistance, although I thought it was a cool concept.

Edit: well whenever the hell maintenance is done.

Also does anyone have a controller type selection recommendation for the RE4 port you can get on the Xbox? I don’t recall the controllers feeling so jank, back in the day when I played the demo.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

i tried playing reverse this morning but couldnt even get matched up, so i only did the tutorial. feels weird.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vikar Jerome posted:

i tried playing reverse this morning but couldnt even get matched up, so i only did the tutorial. feels weird.

Yeah, I’m expecting as much, but I’m willing to give it a try. I couldn’t even get on, due to maintenance.

Also I figured RE4s controls a little better in that I should be using the analog control stick to move…which…it’s been a while.

I’m even trying RE7 since it’s on game-pass, no clue how far I’ll get, but man it’s funny how the faces in the game, while generally great, are just a little off, well compared to both remake games, but even with that RE2 still has an slight odd shine to Claire’s face, just like Mia’s (though less overall uncanny valley), but by RE3 the faces all look great. It’s amazing what they’ve been able to do with photogrammetry and improvements to the RE Engine.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Vikar Jerome posted:

i tried playing reverse

Read this as reverse, like backwards

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Yeah, I’m expecting as much, but I’m willing to give it a try. I couldn’t even get on, due to maintenance.

Also I figured RE4s controls a little better in that I should be using the analog control stick to move…which…it’s been a while.

I’m even trying RE7 since it’s on game-pass, no clue how far I’ll get, but man it’s funny how the faces in the game, while generally great, are just a little off, well compared to both remake games, but even with that RE2 still has an slight odd shine to Claire’s face, just like Mia’s (though less overall uncanny valley), but by RE3 the faces all look great. It’s amazing what they’ve been able to do with photogrammetry and improvements to the RE Engine.

Re4 controls will always feel weird on anything but a GameCube controller for me. I finished it on PS4 but it was definitely not always ideal. The little I played on Xbox felt better by comparison but that could just be my preference for the Xbox controller.

Some day I'll get through more than half an hour of RE7 before putting it down because I'm a giant baby when it comes to FPS horror.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

joylessdivision posted:

Re4 controls will always feel weird on anything but a GameCube controller for me. I finished it on PS4 but it was definitely not always ideal. The little I played on Xbox felt better by comparison but that could just be my preference for the Xbox controller.

Some day I'll get through more than half an hour of RE7 before putting it down because I'm a giant baby when it comes to FPS horror.

Did you play the Wii version? Motion controls were hit and miss in general but RE4 feels so good with them.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Convex posted:

Did you play the Wii version? Motion controls were hit and miss in general but RE4 feels so good with them.

I did not. I played the OG gamecube at release (probably the first game I ever pre-ordered lol) and then played through about 10 minutes of the PS2 port when that came out and hated how it felt.

After that it was more of a "Huh, RE4 got ported to that? Go on then Capcom" and I didn't much think about it until it was on sale on PS4 and I grabbed it and replayed it a couple years back. I've since picked it up on Xbox so I have all the main line RE games on one system.

Did the motion controls get added for the Switch version? because I can absolutely see myself buying that game again just to play it with motion controls with my lovely joycons.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

joylessdivision posted:

Did the motion controls get added for the Switch version? because I can absolutely see myself buying that game again just to play it with motion controls with my lovely joycons.

Yeah, they're a little bit weird because you still use the stick to control the overall view while the motion controls move within that (if I recall correctly, it's something odd anyway). But once it clicks, it's much better than standard aiming.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, they're a little bit weird because you still use the stick to control the overall view while the motion controls move within that (if I recall correctly, it's something odd anyway). But once it clicks, it's much better than standard aiming.

Time to wait for it to hit sale on switch again (so like two weeks probably)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

joylessdivision posted:

Time to wait for it to hit sale on switch again (so like two weeks probably)

Oh poo poo, my brain turned off and I totally misread that, I'm not aware of them beingthey added to the Switch version :blush:

e: seriously, I don't think I've ever misread a post so badly :dumb:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

joylessdivision posted:

Re4 controls will always feel weird on anything but a GameCube controller for me.

I broke it out on the Wii not too long ago and still don't have it down.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I havent been able to play re4 decently since the wii version because the ability to make headshots every single time ruined me

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

As a big fan of Mercenaries I really cannot recommend this months free PS plus game Zombie Army 4 more highly. It really just ticks a lot of those same boxes while having gameplay that feels super similar to modern RE imo. I usually just bounce off Co op zombie shooters but this one totally got it's hooks in me for that reason.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
Just finished REV:2 and now I realize that Leon, Barry, and Moira are the chief heroes of the series. Bad writing my rear end, a Dramaturgical Triad if you will.

The Resident Evil games left on my list are 6, Zero, Nemesis, and Code Veronica. I don't feel like emulating, so Code Veronica, and Nemesis are off the table.

Zero has a thread reputation for being tedious, but I did play the HD REmake with "modern" controls and really liked it - despite doing quite a bit of backtracking and head scratching to figure out where the hell I was. I think I enjoyed it more as "this is the first one of its kind but without being 100% jagged pixels and sans tank controls." It was repetitive and ugly, but the game world seemed very compact and folded in on itself for the most part. I liked that it had downtime, storage boxes, and the ability to pre-plan what might come next. Zero lacks storage, and some pre-planning.

6 Has a thread reputation for being TOO OVER THE TOP and\or "stupid". That puzzles me for this game series. It's like asking "has John Woo finally gone too far?" lovely gameplay tutorials and apparently some pretty mechanically heinous campaign sections?

I'm assuming since I had fun with REV:2 that I'll like 6 if I read a guide on it beforehand. Hyperbole aside, is Zero really that bad when it comes to tedium?

REV:1 was a fun time-waster, but mechanically boring. The only one of the series that I've hated was 5. No breathing room, super self-serious. I made it maybe halfway through before I was just not having any more fun with it. I would love to say it's because I played it single player but hoo boy it would have been awful even with a partner. Just terrible imo. Tiny-rear end inventory to micromanage? Pretty racist but they plopped some white guys in there too?

I own them all from some Fanatical insane-o sale from a while ago. (RE3Make is the one I don't own and will play after 8).

UltraShame fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Apr 9, 2021

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

UltraShame posted:

Just finished REV:2 and now I realize that Leon, Barry, and Moira are the chief heroes of the series. Bad writing my rear end, a Dramaturgical Triad if you will.

The Resident Evil games left on my list are 6, Zero, Nemesis, and Code Veronica. I don't feel like emulating, so Code Veronica, and Nemesis are off the table.

Zero has a thread reputation for being tedious, but I did play the HD REmake with "modern" controls and really liked it - despite doing quite a bit of backtracking and head scratching to figure out where the hell I was. I think I enjoyed it more as "this is the first one of its kind but without being 100% jagged pixels and sans tank controls." It was repetitive and ugly, but the game world seemed very compact and folded in on itself for the most part. I liked that it had downtime, storage boxes, and the ability to pre-plan what might come next. Zero lacks storage, and some pre-planning.

6 Has a thread reputation for being TOO OVER THE TOP and\or "stupid". That puzzles me for this game series. It's like asking "has John Woo finally gone too far?" lovely gameplay tutorials and apparently some pretty mechanically heinous campaign sections?

I'm assuming since I had fun with REV:2 that I'll like 6 if I read a guide on it beforehand. Hyperbole aside, is Zero really that bad when it comes to tedium?

REV:1 was a fun time-waster, but mechanically boring. The only one of the series that I've hated was 5. No breathing room, super self-serious. I made it maybe halfway through before I was just not having any more fun with it. I would love to say it's because I played it single player but hoo boy it would have been awful even with a partner. Just terrible imo. Tiny-rear end inventory to micromanage? Pretty racist but they plopped some white guys in there too?

I own them all from some Fanatical insane-o sale from a while ago. (RE3Make is the one I don't own and will play after 8).

code veronica is on psnow (thus pc) and its the ps3 widescreen version too

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

UltraShame posted:

"Barry Burton: Father of the Year" was what I called Barry every time I played him in Rev 2. Haven't finished it yet but man did that game really make me fall in love with Barry as a character.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the only guide you need for 6 is a melee system tutorial. everything else about the game is perhaps too straightforward.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the only guide you need for 6 is a melee system tutorial. everything else about the game is perhaps too straightforward.

Pretty much. Part of the issue is when it first came out, it didn’t even have a printed manual, but a link to a pdf.

Oh and much to my pleasant surprise, RE:Verse is a pretty fun time waster, is it going to replace Warzone or Fortnite...lord no, but it’s fun and playable and enjoyable overall. I like the short rounds and also the suicide bomb on the fat molded. It’s nice and simple, which is kind of a fun change of pace from a lot of games today.

Obviously everyone wants a new Outbreak, but it’s not happening as of now, so I’m okay with Re:Verse.

Part of me wonders if the goal isn’t to build upon the death match with new modes eventually and keep growing the game...which I think is a good idea and could potentially lead to an RE Engine outbreak...which I love.

The RE Engine is so amazing and it’s continued to evolve (look at how faces have improved and lost some of the shinny uncanny valley issues. Honestly I don’t think I’ve cared about an engine as much since Carmack stopped and Unreal and Unity took over.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Pretty much. Part of the issue is when it first came out, it didn’t even have a printed manual, but a link to a pdf.

Oh and much to my pleasant surprise, RE:Verse is a pretty fun time waster, is it going to replace Warzone or Fortnite...lord no, but it’s fun and playable and enjoyable overall. I like the short rounds and also the suicide bomb on the fat molded. It’s nice and simple, which is kind of a fun change of pace from a lot of games today.

Obviously everyone wants a new Outbreak, but it’s not happening as of now, so I’m okay with Re:Verse.

Part of me wonders if the goal isn’t to build upon the death match with new modes eventually and keep growing the game...which I think is a good idea and could potentially lead to an RE Engine outbreak...which I love.

The RE Engine is so amazing and it’s continued to evolve (look at how faces have improved and lost some of the shinny uncanny valley issues. Honestly I don’t think I’ve cared about an engine as much since Carmack stopped and Unreal and Unity took over.

RE Engine kicks rear end and it seems super scalable too. MHR looks and runs great on Switch

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
To quote my friend on the RE Engine:

"One thing I loving love seeing, and I see it super often especially now Is how people were fans of the RE Engine for a bit already thanks to Resident Evil and DMC5

Like people were already 'drat, these games look absurdly good, this engine is doing drat well'

And now with the release of Rise, it's gone from that to 'Okay the engine is just actually magic now, this should not be running graphics this good with this performance with this consistency on a Switch'"

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah honestly in terms of engine tech, stability, scalability, and the ability to continue to be improved. RE Engine is arguably the best out there. I mean stuff like Decima and others are great too. I think part of what helps is the RE Engine is internal, so you’re never going to see poo poo shovel ware being made with it.

Though, at the same time, I’d love to see them license it out. MT Framework was also really good too and apparently it was kept internal due to all the support stuff being in Japanese only, or so I’ve heard.

But seriously nerding out about engines seemed to die out by Doom 3, and I’m happy it’s back.

Hell I was excited for Doom 3, not even to play as it was too scary, but because I thought it would be the backbone of a whole new generation of games. It’s a shame Idtech started staying internal or only partners using it.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

UltraShame posted:

Actually seems more likely you're going to dislike RE6 and be okay with zero.

RE6 is very much 5 but even more bloated and linear. I've beaten it once and every time ive tries to go back just to see how it was, I've quit from being just boring as hell.

RE0 has actually grown on me since its at least classic RE style. Most people really harp on the backtracking because of the hookshot. But being able to drop items is super nice too and they're always marked on the map where you left what. It's not so bad keeping little stashes as needed, and rotating them forward as you're done with areas.

The hookshot thing is a problem because after the train it's one of the items you don't use for ages and people forget about it. Even though it comes with you after the train no matter what, they tend to leave it in that starting zone. (And during the train you can get away with leaving the hookshot literally right after you use it initially, iirc). By the time people need it again in late game, they've got to backtrack all the way to that first post-train area. Just make sure to move it up with your stash from time to time as you progress areas.

Only thing I'd really clarify aside from that is explaining the train item thing. When you're ready to get off the train, you'll get to keep everything in bill-beccas inventory plus ten items (prioritized by importance) from the train will be on the ground. So it's best to carry as much as possible before that act break, and actually its more important stuff you want to leave. Still, combine as much as you can to maximize how much you've got in your inventory, and focus on less essentials like ammo/healing/saves since the game will ditch all keys etc you dont need. But if you need space leave every 2 slot item/weapon on the ground since that'll count as one item still. Meanwhile you might end up getting some miscellaneous items you missed or ignored in the train showing up as the non essential items carried over slots if you pack well enough.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is the re verse beta for preorderers only?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
My biggest problem with Zero is actually Rebecca's story in it. It didn't tie into the first game at all, and ultimately, has no importance to, well, anything. Don't get me wrong, it's nice that she got a game and some story of her own, but they ultimately didn't do poo poo with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Sakurazuka posted:

Is the re verse beta for preorderers only?

This one is an open beta, but I think it got shut down because matchmaking wasn't working.