Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it comes from the tv

because the medium isnt growing its gettin consolidated to a few corps spewing out 40 channels each with a formula

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Panfilo posted:

The fish bait thing goes back a ways; Larry the Cable Guy said it in one of his movies, and I think Crocodile Dundee had a joke about it. But basically having a joke that is funny to a specific group of people and offensive to others seems to give it a kind of 'power' I guess which is why they repeat it so much.

im gay

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Food issues are one of those things that are usually rooted in some kind of trauma or abuse as a child.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Bonzo posted:

Food issues are one of those things that are usually rooted in some kind of trauma or abuse as a child.

I can tell you that living at home again has murdered my ability to portion control and lose weight because my mom cooks way too much food and then complains about it going to waste. No matter what I tell her, even if she agrees, she factory defaults to "more food = better". It's insane, and no wonder I was a fat kid, because she still expects four people to consume the equivalent of 10 farmhands working in the fields for 14 hours a day. She used to tell doctors that she had no idea how I was overweight, because all she cooks is "good wholesome Polish food, and not that processed junk".

Only way I'll be able to survive living at home is waiting for the pandemic to clear so I can get back in the gym and weightlift. If I have to live with weak willpower, I might as well lean into it and gain muscle.

I've also hypothesized that she keeps being fruit (even if it's out of season and tastes like poo poo) because it was hard to get most types of fruit in Eastern Europe in the mid-20th century. She bought tasteless strawberries a few weeks ago, which were obviously going to taste like poo poo because the tops were solidly white. I told her all of this, and she said, "I know, I know." One week later, a new batch of un-ripe strawberries. The rest of us are not fruit-eaters, but she still insists on buying bags of apples and oranges, and bunches of bananas, and blueberries and grapes all at the same time.

I know that growing up on a farm in a Communist country wasn't exactly the paradise they said, but she has yet to adjust to the overabundance of caloric nutrition in the world.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

ben shapino posted:

it's not purely american either. people just don't like admitting that they aren't perfect, so they pre-emptively deflect their own guilt onto other people. it's like a defensive mechanism for a lot of people and applies to so many things.

you don't have to actually criticize them at all to trigger it. they know there is a criticism to be made at some level, and they want to get out ahead of it.

Same thing happens when you tell people you don't drink, or you're vegan. An insecure person will hear that and launch into a defense of their habits or an attack on yours.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

limp_cheese posted:

I'm not sure if being fat and unhealthy to own the libs is a boomer thing or just an American thing. I had people making fun of me at work a few years ago because I would drink water instead of soda all the time. Having a vegetarian friend also showed me the way people say "rabbit food" with a sneering condemnation because how dare someone not eat meat and potatoes for every meal. Work bought donuts and you're only having one? Clearly I'm judging everyone else for being fat.

I'm not saying there is fit discrimation in this country but too many people have a weird hang up when it comes to someone trying to eat healthy or take care of themselves, like its a personal slight against them.

I've faced all kinds of hostility from people because I don't eat meat. I stopped when I was a kid so I've had a lifetime of this poo poo. It seems to have died down in the last several years but that probably comes from less and less exposure to boomers and everyone I know being in their 30s and no one giving a gently caress about poo poo like that anymore.

ben shapino posted:

they also generally believe they could knock someone out in one good punch as long as the other guy "doesn't like sucker punch me or some pussy poo poo" and would still talk poo poo even after getting their rear end beat. it's just dumb ego poo poo distilled in all it's pathetic glory.

Thinking a fight has rules is the boomerest poo poo.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

This is the tagline for a potentially incredibly badass revenge flick

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Boomers love to watch YouTube videos on their desktop computer in the default small window at the (now) lovely 720p resolution (or even 480p) instead of at least theater mode or full screen in 1080p or higher.

Then they piss and moan that the screen is too small.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

mojo1701a posted:

I can tell you that living at home again has murdered my ability to portion control and lose weight because my mom cooks way too much food and then complains about it going to waste. No matter what I tell her, even if she agrees, she factory defaults to "more food = better". It's insane, and no wonder I was a fat kid, because she still expects four people to consume the equivalent of 10 farmhands working in the fields for 14 hours a day. She used to tell doctors that she had no idea how I was overweight, because all she cooks is "good wholesome Polish food, and not that processed junk".

This might be way off the mark but I've had to deal with a pushy inconsiderate boomer who only thinks about their calcified viewpoint my whole life. It probably won't help but anyway:

You might not realise it but ignoring other people's wants and needs in favour of your own values and wants is emotional abuse. Very low level and ingrained to hell and back but it is what it is. Couple that with 'I know I know' deflection and a refusal to act like a rational adult means you can't win with reason.

Who serves your plate? If you do it give yourself exactly what you know you need. If she tries to give you more stand up and dump it in the trash.

If she serves your food stand up and scrap the excess into the trash.

Meet any anger or complaints with a literal childish tantrum. Seriously, you can't argue with crazy, fight bullshit with bullshit.

I got the 'I know I know' bullshit from my mother and the only time I've ever managed to make her actually listen to me was saying gently caress it and having a screamingly insane tantrum of my own. Suddenly they have to be the sane one and the entire dynamic changes. It makes no loving sense but neither does buying tasteless white strawberries.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

CPL593H posted:

I've faced all kinds of hostility from people because I don't eat meat. I stopped when I was a kid so I've had a lifetime of this poo poo. It seems to have died down in the last several years but that probably comes from less and less exposure to boomers and everyone I know being in their 30s and no one giving a gently caress about poo poo like that anymore.

I’ve never met a militant vegan in the flesh once in my life. Listening to boomers, you’d think they were everywhere and on the cusp of taking away everyone’s steaks.

I’ve met plenty of people irl who openly bully vegans or try to trick them into unknowingly eating meat, though.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Literally every vegan I’ve known irl has been super chill and low key about it

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Over the last 20 years my attitude towards vegans went from 'what a bunch of whiny assholes' to 'yeah okay you do you' to 'actually veganism is probably necessary for the planet and we do need to eat less meat, good on them' to 'gently caress I can't cook anything they'll eat how the gently caress is this dinner going to work?'.

If vegan cooking was easier I'd have zero issues wth it so really it's about convenience.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

the concept of veganism was first conveyed to me by learning about Sir Paul McCartney and then “Weird Al” Yankovic, two notably nice and well respected people as I recall them

I only learned about Morrisey later in life, and of course there’s got to be one shithead to prove the rule of chill vegan folks

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have known some seriously un-chill Vegans over the years. Like, the preachy and judgy type who are the basis of the "How can you tell if someone is Vegan? Just wait, they'll tell you."

Some of them were Boomers, but it cut across generations.

I don't really give a poo poo if someone wants to be Vegan, but I also don't want to hear about their morally-superior super-diet every time I see them, either.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Tighclops posted:

This is the tagline for a potentially incredibly badass revenge flick

John Wick already exists

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

CPL593H posted:

There was an MMA fighter years ago who said something advising people to never, ever get into fights because even if you're just punching with fists, poo poo can go bad quick and you can easily kill someone/ die unintentionally. I wish I could find the quote, because I tell young people who view fist fighting as a harmless and manly act from time to time.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
A vegan with a sea of holier than thou yard signs is just as asinine as a trumptard with a sea of pig lives matter yard signs imo

They both project a certain personality type that I want nothing to do with

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

HD DAD posted:

Literally every vegan I’ve known irl has been super chill and low key about it

A few years back, my friend comes back from Japan and we go to a pizza place we love. He asks if he could bring his friend who I've never met. The more the merrier. So we're deciding which pizza to get and it's four fat guys so I suggest the meat pizza. We're all drinking and having a good time and the pizza arrives and his friend isn't eating any of it, and I ask why, trying to be a gracious host. He says he's vegetarian and I immediately feel like a big rear end in a top hat. He was pretty chill about it though. I would have totally been fine ordering a vegetarian friendly pizza had I known ahead of time.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Lib and let die posted:

A vegan with a sea of holier than thou yard signs is just as asinine as a trumptard with a sea of pig lives matter yard signs imo

They both project a certain personality type that I want nothing to do with

Combining the name of something you don't like with a slur is pretty boomery.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Combining the name of something you don't like with a slur is pretty boomery.

Yeah, sorry, my apologies to the actual pigs that provide pork and bacon of the world.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Outrail posted:

This might be way off the mark but I've had to deal with a pushy inconsiderate boomer who only thinks about their calcified viewpoint my whole life. It probably won't help but anyway:

You might not realise it but ignoring other people's wants and needs in favour of your own values and wants is emotional abuse. Very low level and ingrained to hell and back but it is what it is. Couple that with 'I know I know' deflection and a refusal to act like a rational adult means you can't win with reason.

Who serves your plate? If you do it give yourself exactly what you know you need. If she tries to give you more stand up and dump it in the trash.

If she serves your food stand up and scrap the excess into the trash.

Meet any anger or complaints with a literal childish tantrum. Seriously, you can't argue with crazy, fight bullshit with bullshit.

I got the 'I know I know' bullshit from my mother and the only time I've ever managed to make her actually listen to me was saying gently caress it and having a screamingly insane tantrum of my own. Suddenly they have to be the sane one and the entire dynamic changes. It makes no loving sense but neither does buying tasteless white strawberries.

That's the really awful part is that I end up hating myself for it because I know it's ultimately my decision about what goes into my body and I'm responsible for no one but myself. On the other hand, I would assume that there is allowance for emotional manipulation, guilt, etc.

I'm not that overweight. I'm still technically at the border between overweight and obese on the BMI (<210lbs at 5'10"), but I like to think I have some level of muscle mass from going to the gym.

The problem is that what's worked for me (combined with regular gym-going and weightlifting) is keeping a calorie budget in MFP, and sticking to it. I need it quantified, because unsurprisingly, I cannot trust my senses to discover how much is enough. I need pure numbers (unsurprisingly, I am now an accountant :v:).

Then again, almost everyone I know who I tell this to does a, "Well, can't you just...?" A walk around the block is not going to burn an excess 500 calories per day.

This gets more e/n than I'd like it to. I'd like to move out again ASAP, but I paid about 35% of my take-home pay towards an apartment that ended up having a roach problem, and I really don't want to have to go through that again.

mojo1701a fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 9, 2021

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

mojo1701a posted:

That's the really awful part is that I end up hating myself for it because I know it's ultimately my decision about what goes into my body and I'm responsible for no one but myself. On the other hand, I would assume that there is allowance for emotional manipulation, guilt, etc.

I'm not that overweight. I'm still technically at the border between overweight and obese on the BMI (<210lbs at 5'10"), but I like to think I have some level of muscle mass from going to the gym.

The problem is that what's worked for me (combined with regular gym-going and weightlifting) is keeping a calorie budget in MFP, and sticking to it. I need it quantified, because unsurprisingly, I cannot trust my senses to discover how much is enough. I need pure numbers (unsurprisingly, I am now an accountant :v:).

Then again, almost everyone I know who I tell this to does a, "Well, can't you just...?" A walk around the block is not going to burn an excess 500 calories per day.

This gets more e/n than I'd like it to. I'd like to move out again ASAP, but I paid about 35% of my take-home pay towards an apartment that ended up having a roach problem, and I really don't want to have to go through that again.

No, I feel you here. Both my parents and grandmother (two boomers and a silent) gave me a ton of poo poo when I lost weight as a teen and got into shape. They had the best intentions, but my parents would get slightly offended if they saw me going for a smaller single portion of dinner, or turning down dessert. My grandmother would pull me aside and give me a stern “if you don’t start eating your body is going to shut down and you will die”.

It’s like, guys, I’m a fat 14 year old boy that’s getting made fun of for having bigger tits than some girls in our grade. I just went cold turkey on my excess snacking, cut out sugar, and got some kids in PE to help me use the gym equipment at school. But apparently this meant I was depressed, hated myself, and didn’t appreciate what I was provided. I really think it’s some echo of Depression mentality at work there.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Lib and let die posted:

Yeah, sorry, my apologies to the actual pigs that provide pork and bacon of the world.

Doubling down on it is extra boomery.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

HD DAD posted:

No, I feel you here. Both my parents and grandmother (two boomers and a silent) gave me a ton of poo poo when I lost weight as a teen and got into shape. They had the best intentions, but my parents would get slightly offended if they saw me going for a smaller single portion of dinner, or turning down dessert. My grandmother would pull me aside and give me a stern “if you don’t start eating your body is going to shut down and you will die”.

It’s like, guys, I’m a fat 14 year old boy that’s getting made fun of for having bigger tits than some girls in our grade. I just went cold turkey on my excess snacking, cut out sugar, and got some kids in PE to help me use the gym equipment at school. But apparently this meant I was depressed, hated myself, and didn’t appreciate what I was provided. I really think it’s some echo of Depression mentality at work there.

That's the frustrating thing, though. I KNOW my mom hated that I was the fat kid. We'd go to the store to buy clothes, pants wouldn't fit me, and she'd just let out this audible sigh. Now that I'm 34, I'm cognizant of what needs to be done to lose weight, but at 14, I was constantly made to look like it's my fault because I didn't want to join her on her half-hour walks (which she just used to constantly complain about anything -- usually my father, and how I'm "just like him").

The food is not that unhealthy, per se. I mean, cabbage rolls are just rice and ground pork with spices and rolled up in a steamed cabbage leaf. But goddamnit, I don't know how much is too much, because it's either I eat until I feel is enough, or I sit there fighting hunger without knowing if I actually need more food or if I just need to power through and distract myself.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I've actually lost a lot of weight since February. I hit 228 lbs and haven't been that high before. I didn't want to hit 230 so I figured gently caress it and started that noom thing.
Overall it's just a restrictive calorie counter (that does teach some good lessons about why to eat certain foods) but I don't find the whole psychological aspect of it all that mind blowing.

But anyway I went to my mom and dads house a couple of weeks ago.
My mom (at 3:45 in the afternoon) never stopped offering me food, and when I politely declined each time, she just ended up putting a plate of food out anyway. It's like what the gently caress?
My dad is overweight and my mom was saying that the noom thing wouldn't work for my dad because he wouldn't log his food, and I'm just thinking, that's totally not the problem.

Anyway I'm below 200lbs for the first time in over 6 years so that's pretty awesome.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 9, 2021

Truniht
Jan 10, 2019

HD DAD posted:

A lot of this came from their parents who grew up in the depression I think.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Truniht posted:

I agree. My grandparents (GGs) were born in like 1913 and 1917 and both got married/came of age during the depression. They were legit poor as gently caress. They also worked hard as gently caress and once things got better and they even had some money to spare, they still saved the poo poo out of it, were always canning stuff from their garden even though they could just go to the store and buy fresh stuff.
Its hard to shake habits like that, when you grow up a certain way.
I think another part of it is: Eat as much as you can because you never know what will happen, and this might be your last good meal for a while. And the starving kids thing is probably because you should appreciate that you have so much and not waste it, because starving (third world) kids would break their fuckin legs running so fast to get the scraps that you didn't eat.

Poor people in first world countries are still way richer than poor third world people.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Truniht posted:

My mom's specifically came from growing up in Poland during the Communist era on a farm. They wasted nothing.

Problem is that times have changed, and you don't need to show me parental love by spending 10 hours a day in the kitchen.

You can even see it in her constant need to bake, but because sugar was scarce, all of the stuff she bakes has very minimal sugar in it. I don't disagree that sugar is overused in the modern Western diet, but no, almost any dessert she ever tries that she didn't get from someone like-minded, "Oh, it's too sweet. Too sweet."

She also almost always refused to ever go out to eat anywhere. The only time she ever does is if someone else (eg. whatever ladies' group she's a part of) pays, or if it's my parents' wedding anniversary, and even then all she'll ever order is the main course. No appetizers, no dessert, maybe a glass of wine if she's not the only one. Other than that, just a glass of water.

I know that it was her childhood circumstances because everyone in either her family or my dad's family of a certain age is the same way. My dad and I were in Poland about 8 years ago visiting his family, spending the entire day on the town seeing sites. "Hey, I'm hungry. Let's grab a bite to eat." "What? No, no no. Let's go home. If you're hungry, I'll cook you something."

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

https://allhiphop.com/news/dmx-hit-with-lawsuit-over-dog-clothing/

#NotAllBoomers
Rest in Power, Dark Man

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Outrail posted:

Over the last 20 years my attitude towards vegans went from 'what a bunch of whiny assholes' to 'yeah okay you do you' to 'actually veganism is probably necessary for the planet and we do need to eat less meat, good on them' to 'gently caress I can't cook anything they'll eat how the gently caress is this dinner going to work?'.

If vegan cooking was easier I'd have zero issues wth it so really it's about convenience.
Buy some lentils and seal them in a jar. Lentils and rice with some spices and a tin of chopped tomatoes is vegan easy mode and they're all stuff you can shove in a press and forget about for months.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Splicer posted:

Buy some lentils and seal them in a jar. Lentils and rice with some spices and a tin of chopped tomatoes is vegan easy mode and they're all stuff you can shove in a press and forget about for months.

I learned how to make a basic red lentil dal, and it's wonderful.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

wesleywillis posted:

I agree. My grandparents (GGs) were born in like 1913 and 1917 and both got married/came of age during the depression. They were legit poor as gently caress. They also worked hard as gently caress and once things got better and they even had some money to spare, they still saved the poo poo out of it, were always canning stuff from their garden even though they could just go to the store and buy fresh stuff.
Its hard to shake habits like that, when you grow up a certain way.
I think another part of it is: Eat as much as you can because you never know what will happen, and this might be your last good meal for a while. And the starving kids thing is probably because you should appreciate that you have so much and not waste it, because starving (third world) kids would break their fuckin legs running so fast to get the scraps that you didn't eat.

Poor people in first world countries are still way richer than poor third world people.

There’s also the fact that a lot of families are used to cooking huge meals for the working men of the family who slave away on farms and in mines for ten hours every day and really need the calories. Most folks don’t work jobs as physically exhausting anymore but the portion sizes have stayed the same size due to force of habit.

An older friend of mine’s grandmother came from Galicia and he told me her family would mostly eat bread and lentils and vegetables day in and day out and only have meat once a year on Pascha (usually chicken) - if they were lucky. Feeling like you gotta eat up while times are good might definitely be ingrained in there too, as you said.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I've had "friends" trick me into eating meat by saying there's no meat in their meals when on first bite it's obvious that there is. No idea why you'd want to do that, worst case scenario you could cause someone some health complications if they stopped eating meat for health reasons.

This group was also the same group that gave me poo poo for wanting to cut back on drinking. They just took everything as a personal attack.

I still remember their smug looks turning into panic when I put the fork down and left after their prank.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Fried Watermelon posted:

I've had "friends" trick me into eating meat by saying there's no meat in their meals when on first bite it's obvious that there is. No idea why you'd want to do that, worst case scenario you could cause someone some health complications if they stopped eating meat for health reasons.

This group was also the same group that gave me poo poo for wanting to cut back on drinking. They just took everything as a personal attack.

I still remember their smug looks turning into panic when I put the fork down and left after their prank.

Hell even if it wasn't for health reasons you could make someone pretty sick if they haven't eaten meat in a few years.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

ProperGanderPusher posted:

There’s also the fact that a lot of families are used to cooking huge meals for the working men of the family who slave away on farms and in mines for ten hours every day and really need the calories. Most folks don’t work jobs as physically exhausting anymore but the portion sizes have stayed the same size due to force of habit.

An older friend of mine’s grandmother came from Galicia and he told me her family would mostly eat bread and lentils and vegetables day in and day out and only have meat once a year on Pascha (usually chicken) - if they were lucky. Feeling like you gotta eat up while times are good might definitely be ingrained in there too, as you said.

The abundance of meat in the modern era is one of those things people really don't realize. The ability to be one of those "I'm a carnivore. For every animal you don't eat, I'll eat two :smug:" is a very specific privilege that ironically, is now doing more harm than before.

Not to say that I don't think people shouldn't eat meat, but we have to be cognizant of how much effort it requires to sustain such a lifestyle, and the additional nutritional drawbacks (although if all you're doing is eating empty grain and sugar calories, you're doing yourself a disservice as well).

What I'm trying to say is that you should eat your veggies. You don't have to like all of them, but it's well worth learning to cook at least a few of them well. I really like sauteing thin strips of bell pepper in a little bit of oil with salt, pepper, and whatever spices I have. Spices really complement the sweetness in a red or orange bell pepper. They go well with almost any dish I make.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah I especially like that song where he advocates for hate crimes.

DMX posted:

I show no love, to homo thugs
Empty out, reloaded and throw more slugs
How you gonna explain fuckin a man?
Even if we squashed the beef, I ain't touchin ya hand
I don't buck with chumps, for those to been to jail
That's the cat with the Kool-Aid on his lips and pumps
I don't gently caress with n***** that think they broads
Only know how to be ONE WAY, that's the dog
I know how to get down, know how to BITE
Bark very little, but I know HOW TO FIGHT
I know how to chase a cat up in the tree
MAN, I GIVE Y'ALL N***** THE B'INESS FOR FUCKIN WIT ME, IS YOU CRAZY?!?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fried Watermelon posted:

I knew someone who would very guiltily describe how they thought their partner was just being difficult about avoiding gluten so they snuck wheat or something into a meal and were dismayed when their partner started getting hives or some other obvious reaction to it.

I've luckily run into less of that weird peer pressure to drink than I used to, but have definitely run into it. "Do you want a drink? Why don't you have a drink? You should have a drink. One drink won't hurt. Are you sure you don't want a drink?"

I quit drinking over a decade ago, and drank enough for a lifetime already, thanks.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Chitin posted:

Hell even if it wasn't for health reasons you could make someone pretty sick if they haven't eaten meat in a few years.

I've heard this, but I don't think it's a real issue, at least for most people. I ate a vegan diet for a few years, and eventually relented and am just a vegetarian now. I had absolutely zero issues with adding cheese, eggs, yogurt, etc. back into my diet after years without them. I didn't have to introduce them slowly. Also, every now and then I accidentally eat a bite or two of something with meat in it. Like when I get takeout, occasionally my order gets messed up and I bite into what should be a veggie bowl that has a piece of pork in it or whatever. It's never made me sick. I don't think it's just me. There are plenty of examples of historical populations where eating meat was a rare thing you did, like once or twice per year on holidays or special occasions. They probably wouldn't have done that if it always caused them to vomit blood or have terrible diarrhea afterward.

Apart from actual food allergies, tricking someone into eating something they didn't want to eat one time isn't a health problem, it's just a dick move.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I don't think eating a small quantity of meat would make anybody sick (outside of allergenic foods like shellfish.) It's not like milk where your body stops producing the enzyme that digests it. Meat has been a rare delicacy in many places historically (and still is) and people eat it rarely but don't get ill from a lack of meat exposure or whatever. People in the last few pages have talked about relatives who got meat once or twice a year on holidays. Sneaking meat into the food of a vegetarian is rude and lovely on its own terms, but it isn't going to kill someone.

Edit: ^^ yeah what they said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Buckwheat Sings posted:

The Villages.

If you're having a slow Easter Monday, here's a fun article on basically the Boomer retirement dream of living in the Villages. A retirement community of 100,000 in a privatized neighborhood in Florida.

From a few pages/a week back, but I gotta post about the Villages.

I've been a resident of Canada for over a decade now, but my whole family is back in the States and my last visit to the Villages was back in February 2020, to visit my grandfather (he's in his 90s so not really a boomer, but close enough for the thread). He seemed pretty close to death with cancer, so I figured I should head down asap, especially since I figured this pandemic thing might be a thing and while I didn't see it being as big as it was, I was worried travel might be restricted and wanted to see him before things went real south.

I had been there a few times before, when he had his own house (he sold it to live in a condo). It's loving weird and lovely. The only young people you see are the ones working in restaurants/banks. The residents told me they weren't allowed to live in town, and one trip when I went on a liquor run for my granddad's birthday (otherwise they drink only cheap vodka and seagram's seven), my granddad's friend drove me past the lovely prefab suburb that apparently a lot of them live in. They volunteered, I guess before I asked, that people lived and worked there because the locals all paid to have a great magnet school put in nearby, for the kids of the workers. He couldn't understand why I thought that was not the best thing ever.

Every street has golf carts lining it. The main reason, according to the dudes my gd knows, to drive cars is apparently to go to a nearby barbeque restaurant or the casino (my granddad is a lifelong poker player and after he dumped his girlfriend he apparently mostly just gambled).

His ex-girlfriend was bonkers and super racist, as were a lot of the folks I talked to. We met her at my cousin's wedding, where she found out my future wife was Canadian. Her response to that fact was to ask her if she, as a Canadian, was as upset as she was that America was going to become Sharia law because we let Muslim kids pray in school. I guess maybe she thought America is lenient towards Muslims or something? Anyway, that was back in 2008 and why I first realized Fox News was super brain poison. On a later trip she gleefully told us that the Villages had a higher incidence of STDs than anywhere else in America.

On that last trip it was just me and my parents there. The hotel was next to an Applebee's, and as a snobby bartender I was actually kind of delighted to go to a real lovely chain and actually watch the SEC tournament on TV at a bar. Beer was insanely cheap but 20 minutes into the game, around 9, they last called the whole bar and I had to watch most of the second half sober, in my hotel room.

A lot of people move there because there are a ton of doctors, but there are actually so many dying old people that care isn't any better than anywhere else in the US. I went to a bank to close out my US account and the associate quizzed me for over ten minutes about the Canadian health care system. Even the younger people there are Fox brain poisoned by osmosis, she was super incredulous that I didn't have to wait weeks for every medical appointment.

Anyway, we ended up moving my granddad into my cousin's place in Tampa a couple months later and they were able to get him some quality of life surgery and stuff, even during the pandemic, so he's against the odds still here. I've spent a couple weeks there over several trips, gone to a bunch of terrible outdoor concerts and stuff, and the big takeaway is it must be the perfect place for the people who live there, because it's Hell's Perfect America. Everyone constantly asked me if I thought it was great, like an ancient Stepford sales force.