Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Don’t understand the infield fly rule? What happens when a batter who hits a home run passes a runner on the base path? This is the thread for you.

MLB rules: https://content.mlb.com/documents/2/2/4/305750224/2019_Official_Baseball_Rules_FINAL_.pdf

I’ll start. What’s the ruling when a batter would have hit a sac fly, but reaches on an error? Is it an at bat? Does he get the RBI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Are children allowed to play in MLB if they are good enough and have their guardians' consent?

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!
Always wondered about this - If a line drive clocks a pitcher and carries into the stands over the dugout, is that a homer or a foul ball?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

thisusedyet posted:

Always wondered about this - If a line drive clocks a pitcher and carries into the stands over the dugout, is that a homer or a foul ball?
It's a ground rule double, if it somehow actually clears the outfield wall without touching the grass then it would still be a ground rule double.

5.05(a)(9)

quote:

(9) Any fair fly ball is deflected by the fielder into the stands,or over the fence into foul territory, in which case the batter shall be entitled to advance to second base; but if deflected into the stands or over the fence in fair territory, the batter shall be entitled to a home run. However, should such a fair fly be deflected at a point less than 250 feet from home plate, the batter shall be entitled to two bases only.

I hope answering questions is ok.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

BgRdMchne posted:

Don’t understand the infield fly rule? What happens when a batter who hits a home run passes a runner on the base path? This is the thread for you.

MLB rules: https://content.mlb.com/documents/2/2/4/305750224/2019_Official_Baseball_Rules_FINAL_.pdf

I’ll start. What’s the ruling when a batter would have hit a sac fly, but reaches on an error? Is it an at bat? Does he get the RBI?

It's up to the official scorer. If he thinks the runner would have scored if the ball was caught, it's a sac fly (so the batter gets an RBI and it's not an at bat). If not, it goes down as a regular error (so no RBI and an at bat). Either way the fielder gets an error, of course.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It's a ground rule double, if it somehow actually clears the outfield wall without touching the grass then it would still be a ground rule double.

5.05(a)(9)

I hope answering questions is ok.

This would be what I guessed after reading their question.

...what happens in the case of multiple players being involved (assuming there is no intent)?
i.e. Ball is a screamer to the SS who instinctively raises his glove to protect himself. It strikes him pretty far out there, but still within the 250 foot boundary, but the ball remains air-borne and live. It heads out towards left field, where Johnny Doofus, blinded by the sun, starts waving for it. In so doing, he baps it wickedly up and out and into the stands. Johnny was well more than 250 feet out, and the ball was live, but initially struck a player that was within the 'ground rule dbl' range.

..or are we not doing 'almost impossible' hypotheticals?
My own guess would be the ruling is since it first struck someone within the 250 ft range, it's still a ground rule double. Thoughts?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

If a player throws his glove and the glove catches the ball, then the player catches the glove, is that an out

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
If a foul pole started falling over while a ball was in air, like if the wind blew it over or someone in the crowd detached it and pushed really hard, and it was falling into foul territory and the ball hit it would it be considered fair and a home run or does it have to be anchored on the wall for it to count

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

If a foul pole started falling over while a ball was in air, like if the wind blew it over or someone in the crowd detached it and pushed really hard, and it was falling into foul territory and the ball hit it would it be considered fair and a home run or does it have to be anchored on the wall for it to count
I remember somewhere in one of umpire Ron Luciano's books where he mentioned stuff you have to deal with in the low minor league parks, and one of them was what do you call when the foul "pole" is a rope blowing in the wind, and an obviously foul ball flies past the rope on the fair side for a homerun.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

what's supposed to happen if the bat breaks on a hit and then flies into someone on the defence and incapacitates them?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

AndrewP posted:

If a player throws his glove and the glove catches the ball, then the player catches the glove, is that an out

Throwing the glove at the ball isn't allowed; if you manage to make contact with the ball it's 3 bases for everyone including the batter (this technically goes for any part of your uniform so no throwing hats at it either). However if you already have the ball in your glove you may then throw it as seen here and it's completely legal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P97YGzkCRj4

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Katana_Warrior posted:

what's supposed to happen if the bat breaks on a hit and then flies into someone on the defence and incapacitates them?

The ball is live. My guess is that something drastic would cause the players on a field to find a stopping point. As soon as the runners stop, an umpire can call time. Assuming the hitter saw what happened, my guess is they'd stop running after they reached a base as long as they didn't hit someone like Trevor Bauer.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

tadashi posted:

The ball is live. My guess is that something drastic would cause the players on a field to find a stopping point. As soon as the runners stop, an umpire can call time. Assuming the hitter saw what happened, my guess is they'd stop running after they reached a base as long as they didn't hit someone like Trevor Bauer.

Anyone remember when a bat splinter impaled Tyler Colvin in the chest?

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

tadashi posted:

If the bat segment hit a runner between first and second, would the batter be able to take second base? If the runner on first is still touching first base after being incapacitated by the bat, is it an automatic double out?

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

fast cars loose anus posted:

Throwing the glove at the ball isn't allowed; if you manage to make contact with the ball it's 3 bases for everyone including the batter (this technically goes for any part of your uniform so no throwing hats at it either). However if you already have the ball in your glove you may then throw it as seen here and it's completely legal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P97YGzkCRj4

No way, I saw Bugs Bunny draw himself up to the top of the Empire State Building flagpole, then throw his glove into the air to catch a ball, and the umpire called the batter out.

If you're trying to say that cartoon lied to me then I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to step outside, good sir. :colbert:

Edit: sorry, the Umpire State Building

https://youtu.be/U9oFCU2iW_s?t=146

Presto fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 9, 2021

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Presto posted:

No way, I saw Bugs Bunny draw himself up to the top of the Empire State Building flagpole, then throw his glove into the air to catch a ball, and the umpire called the batter out.

If you're trying to say that cartoon lied to me then I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to step outside, good sir. :colbert:

Edit: sorry, the Umpire State Building

https://youtu.be/U9oFCU2iW_s?t=146

This play is why they implemented the rule, duh :rolleyes:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Is there anything in the rules saying a dog can't play baseball?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

DJExile posted:

Is there anything in the rules saying a dog can't play baseball?

There's a misconception the "bud" didn't refer to a dog but actually a particularly high grade strain of marijuana the dog smokes while he played professional sports

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

R.D. Mangles posted:

Anyone remember when a bat splinter impaled Tyler Colvin in the chest?

Yeah he was about half way home when the splinter clearly stuck him. Missed anything important.

Still scored on the play.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I've long contented that the runner should be safe if he gets to first base before the ball is caught by the defense.

That combination of speed and launching it up there should be rewarded

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I remember reading about the Browns sending out a dwarf to pinch hit it a game in the 50s and that he drew a walk in one plate appearance. IIRC, whenever I’ve read this tidbit, there’s mention that the league banned the practice soon thereafter. My question is this- what was the actual wording of that rule, and is the rule still on the books? Is there a minimum batter height for MLB?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

General Dog posted:

I remember reading about the Browns sending out a dwarf to pinch hit it a game in the 50s and that he drew a walk in one plate appearance. IIRC, whenever I’ve read this tidbit, there’s mention that the league banned the practice soon thereafter. My question is this- what was the actual wording of that rule, and is the rule still on the books? Is there a minimum batter height for MLB?

Basically the only reason Bill Veeck (who owned the Browns) was able to get Eddie Gaedel (the dwarf) on the field was that he sent the contract in at the end of the day on a Friday and the league office was in the habit of just rubberstamping such things and not bothering to pay attention until Monday if they got a contract in that late. The next day, the president of the AL voided the contract as a "mockery of the game" and they also stopped letting people play until their contract had been fully vetted. There isn't actually a height requirement, and it might not even be legal for them to have one now that the ADA is a thing, but no one's gonna use a roster spot on a guy who gets one walk a game and has to be pinch run for immediately anyway.

It also led to this good line from Veeck:

quote:

American League president Will Harridge, saying Veeck was making a mockery of the game, voided Gaedel's contract the next day. In response, Veeck threatened to request an official ruling on whether Yankees shortstop and reigning American League MVP Phil Rizzuto, who stood 5 feet 6 inches (1.68 m), was a short ballplayer or a tall dwarf.

Sash! posted:

I've long contented that the runner should be safe if he gets to first base before the ball is caught by the defense.

That combination of speed and launching it up there should be rewarded

I remember reading a story from someone, might have been Craig Biggio, of a coach offering him money or dinner or something if he ever managed to be standing on second on one of those when it was caught (or better yet dropped)

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 15, 2021

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Basically the only reason Bill Veeck (who owned the Browns) was able to get Eddie Gaedel (the dwarf) on the field was that he sent the contract in at the end of the day on a Friday and the league office was in the habit of just rubberstamping such things and not bothering to pay attention until Monday if they got a contract in that late. The next day, the president of the AL voided the contract as a "mockery of the game" and they also stopped letting people play until their contract had been fully vetted. There isn't actually a height requirement, and it might not even be legal for them to have one now that the ADA is a thing, but no one's gonna use a roster spot on a guy who gets one walk a game and has to be pinch run for immediately anyway.

If a batter with dwarfism could get on base every time in the modern game, someone with a 1.000 OBP who has to be subbed out would absolutely be worth a roster slot. I calculate that would be worth about 6 WAR. The problem is that for it to work as a non-gimmick, opposing pitchers would be prepared for him, and even a man with a tiny zone can be struck out by a pitcher who isn't laughing at the situation.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Chamale posted:

If a batter with dwarfism could get on base every time in the modern game, someone with a 1.000 OBP who has to be subbed out would absolutely be worth a roster slot. I calculate that would be worth about 6 WAR. The problem is that for it to work as a non-gimmick, opposing pitchers would be prepared for him, and even a man with a tiny zone can be struck out by a pitcher who isn't laughing at the situation.

Is that 6 war in the DH spot?

Also to what extent does "clogging the base paths" become a real thing with a truely slow base runner?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Chamale posted:

Right if ever there were a hitter you wouldn't fear grooving a fastball to...

You also have to consider it's actually at least 2 (if you pinch run with your regular DH after his first at bat) if not three (if you pinch run with someone else and then replace that guy with your regular DH) roster spots you're using

although I suppose you could just start him as the starting <position of your fastest player> leadoff hitting and let that guy pinch run instead of DH if you wanted. In any case the reason it won't work is he definitely won't walk every time, yes.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I remember reading a story from someone, might have been Craig Biggio, of a coach offering him money or dinner or something if he ever managed to be standing on second on one of those when it was caught (or better yet dropped)

Now that's awesome.

A couple years ago, I was at a Nats game and someone put one into orbit (Trea Turner, maybe?). Whoever it was had time to run through first, stop, turn around, and watch it come down for a second or two. He'd have been most of the way to second if it had been dropped. It was something to see.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Here is an example of a guy getting two bases on one of those popups but to be fair it wasn't the batter. Gotta respect the hustle though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYWlV1EPMtM

Franko
Apr 25, 2007
Given in Baseball the crowd gets to keep any balls that land in the stands has there ever been a game where they have come close to running out of replacement balls at the game because of batters fouling them off / hitting dingers? What happens if they run out do they start asking the fans to give them back? Break into a sorts supply store in whatever city they are in? Or is it a case of lost ball go home?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Franko posted:

Given in Baseball the crowd gets to keep any balls that land in the stands has there ever been a game where they have come close to running out of replacement balls at the game because of batters fouling them off / hitting dingers? What happens if they run out do they start asking the fans to give them back? Break into a sorts supply store in whatever city they are in? Or is it a case of lost ball go home?

This happened during a Cubs / Yankees game back in like 2017 that ran 18 innings, they realized in maybe the 17th that they were running out of balls. It's the home team's responsibility to provide the game balls, so the Cubs' clubhouse crew had to raid nearby stores while front office people were on the phone with store owners pleading with them to send someone to actually open the doors in the middle of the night and let the clubhouse people buy balls. If they weren't able to procure balls to continue play, the Cubs would have been forced to forfeit.

Balls.

Timby fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 17, 2021

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Is there some reason passed balls aren't considered errors? I get why wild pitches are because of what the pitcher is trying to do with the ball, but a passed ball is supposed to be a ball that is catchable by a standard catcher.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Is there some reason passed balls aren't considered errors? I get why wild pitches are because of what the pitcher is trying to do with the ball, but a passed ball is supposed to be a ball that is catchable by a standard catcher.

Errors are specifically defined as a fielding mistake, whereas passed balls are considered to be part of pitching. It seems to be a razor thin difference but is supposed to be in line with the determination that wild pitches are not considered errors either.

My interpretation is that there has to be a distinction between a catching mistake made during the act of pitching and a catching mistake made on a live ball (such as an errant throw to a base in the process of being stolen, though the MLB does specify that an errant throw can only be charged as an error if it results in the stealing runner taking an extra base)

barnold fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Apr 18, 2021

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Why don't teams swap pitchers during an at-bat, is it against the rules? Say you're on a hitter's count, would a fresh pitcher be more likely to get out of it?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i want to say i've seen a few people get substituted for e.g. coming in relief, giving up a hit, and immediately running a 3-0 count, i think it's just rare

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

You can swap players mid at bat. Usually it's only done for injury reasons, since it's usually not worth the risk of a new pitcher trying to find their control right away. Working the count is a big part of the rhythm of pitching and players like starting fresh.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I know that the shift works because batters are allergic to learning new tricks, but has anyone bothered with the Baltimore Chop since Mike Lowell retired? Or does the TTO nature of modern baseball make it irrelevant?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Shrecknet posted:

I know that the shift works because batters are allergic to learning new tricks, but has anyone bothered with the Baltimore Chop since Mike Lowell retired? Or does the TTO nature of modern baseball make it irrelevant?

I mean changing your top 100 in the world skill is more complicated than changing how you format your excel tables.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nevermind Buxton did a chop today

https://twitter.com/jjcoop36/status/1387483804563017731

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

If a batter hits a liner off the pitcher and is thrown out by the third baseman is it a 5-3 or a 1-5-3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

BgRdMchne posted:

If a batter hits a liner off the pitcher and is thrown out by the third baseman is it a 5-3 or a 1-5-3?

The official scorers’ rules say that you get an assist if you “throw or deflect the ball in such a way that a putout results” but not if the contact is “ineffective.” So if you knock it down or intentionally deflect the screaming liner with your glove on the reaction, you get an assist. If a comebacker hits you, deflects to the first baseman and he gets the out at first, that’s not an assist because it wasn’t intentional.