Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

thread title please

If we're going to change the title it should be "You are free." tbh.

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Anyone suggest yet that all this can be fixed if fans send in enough death threats and outrage to the author/publisher until they make a new bitter ending? Maybe call it End of Attack on Titan?

GimmickMan posted:

I'm going to give this a few days (the official release hasn't even happened yet) to see if Bessatsu announces a web exclusive final chapter or there's a movie in the works or something before I pass on judgment because this just doesn't feel real.

I imagine this is how a lot of people felt about the end of the Evangelion TV series. Ironic, given what I've heard about Rebuild 4. :v:

:v:

Man I sure could use Rebuild 4 right now. I need an ending that's actually satisfying in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Vanderdeath posted:

Eren just lightly mentions that the Rumbling destroyed most of the world's forests which means that Earth's ecology is hosed for a longass time before everything can regrow. Between 80 percent of humanity being dead and Paradis likely being one of the few governments left on the planet, this is pretty much the worst possible outcome. Not to mention there's likely millions of century-old Eldians that will likely die horribly now too after being turned back.

Eren Jaeger commits genocide, gets thanked for it, dies and then turns into a bird. What the gently caress, man.

Man, I just cannot let go of the fact that Grisha let himself get eaten just for a future where the choices are between the 1/5th of society left either destroying itself, or the planet eventually does it for them because just imagine how much critical plant/animal life the rumbling made extinct probably

But hey I guess Paradis is okay for now I guess

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

We never got to see Connie’s mom return to her normal self

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Vanderdeath posted:

Eren just lightly mentions that the Rumbling destroyed most of the world's forests which means that Earth's ecology is hosed for a longass time before everything can regrow. Between 80 percent of humanity being dead and Paradis likely being one of the few governments left on the planet, this is pretty much the worst possible outcome. Not to mention there's likely millions of century-old Eldians that will likely die horribly now too after being turned back.

Eren Jaeger commits genocide, gets thanked for it, dies and then turns into a bird. What the gently caress, man.

So, I read the official release earlier today. Was hoping "Armin thanking Eren for the genocide" or the general tone of "everything's hosed, but maybe that's ok, even if not perfect, if we militarize uwu" or Mikasa's whole deal would be translation issues, but nah. The 1 thing official translations make less awful is the ecologic part. He says he would have ended up doing that if he wasn't stopped, that he would've just wanted the world to end if he didn't cook up the plan.

But he probably did gently caress up a ton of forestation. IDK, I only read thsi chapter, and then the last one to see wtf people meant about a space worm that farts titan-making-farts. Turns out there was a giant space worm with farts that made titans.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The United States posted:

Dumb Armin should have read his briefings :colbert:

This is incredibly funny, thank you.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Never posted in the thread before, was following the anime, binged the manga from where the anime left off yesterday after I saw people saying the ending was bad. Oh boy was it. It bizarelly gave off the same energy as an anime that has caught up with the manga and the studio has to make something up. From the moment the Rumbling happens, or specifically from the moment Hange gives a timeframe of "we're already too late", the stakes are set and any chance of exploring or delivering on themes present through the story vanishes.

Like others said, the Marley cast was being set up to take the protagonistic role and that not being delivered upon was probably the biggest letdown. Gabi was a great foil for Eren, going through a similar process of loss and anger and... nothing? The one character best positioned thematically to confront Eren and she never gets to. And that's just one example among many where the story had easy outs. Something as corny as the wall titans being ultimately used to make a bridge between Paradis and the mainland would have been so much better than "thanks for committing genocide and planting the seeds of eternal hatred".

I am glad this is momentarily entertaining, at the very least.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
The best thing I can say for this ending is that at least it made the guy who carried out genocide look like a total moron manchild.

That the smartest character in the series (who seems to have actually left behind that characterization in the pre-timeskip world) then thanks for being a total moron manchild so I dunno.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

This is the first time Ive wanted an anime only ending

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Lol fans are rewriting the chapter and it still isn’t great

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

hatty posted:

I'm glad that Armin finally read his briefing

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

hatty posted:

Eren, I'm sorry...here is a poop emoji, for your final chapter

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah i've been meaning to ask, what is up with that poo poo?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

MorningMoon posted:

Yeah i've been meaning to ask, what is up with that poo poo?

Its the Attack on Titan final chapter

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Bread Set Jettison posted:

This is the first time Ive wanted an anime only ending

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the terror group EREN. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

ARMIN MUST CONDEMN

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

The World Inferno posted:

issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the terror group EREN. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I thought we'd get more fighting but it seems to just sorta end out of nowhere.

What a huge letdown.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

How the gently caress did Eren manage to change Mikasa's memories? I thought the Ackermanns were supposed to be immune to the Founding Titan mind fuckery?

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
It's honestly astonishing how Historia was completely excluded from the story after the great Uprising arc, and it's something i can't blame solely on the ending.

I kept expecting she would have something do at the ending, any agency whatsoever. This coupled with the bafflingly gross conclusion of Founder Ymir's arc are my biggest disappointments

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 9, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Attack Off, Titan.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

I thought fantasy England got rumbled but theres a shot of fantasy England at the end so I dont know.

In addition to all the forests, think of all the factories and livestock and farms and infrastructure that were rumbled. The remaining population is totally hosed lol

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Gantolandon posted:

How the gently caress did Eren manage to change Mikasa's memories? I thought the Ackermanns were supposed to be immune to the Founding Titan mind fuckery?

Lmaooo good question

"Mikasa kind of forgot she was an Ackermann"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Frionnel posted:

It's honestly astonishing how Historia was completely excluded from the story after the great Uprising arc, and it's something i can't blame solely on the ending.

I kept expecting she would have something do at the ending, any agency whatsoever. This coupled with the bafflingly gross conclusion of Founder Ymir's arc are my biggest disappointments

Yeah, there was a lot of setup for there to be a point in Historia being put offscreen (even aside from the baby stuff, it seemed pretty clear that she was being positioned to sweep things up after the Jaegerists were gutted) but no. None of it mattered.

Similarly, there's a scene where the Yeagerist cadet Surma realized that they were in the wrong and almost took up arms to protect Shadis, but Shadis told him to hold off and wait for an opening, seemingly setting up the removal of the Yeagerists, especially with their command decapitated at the port.

...But no. That whole plotline got ditched too.

This last chapter is just so bad at paying things off.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I think this could have maybe worked if the author didn't want to end it on 139. Like 1 chapter exploring Eren's messed up serial killer/selfishly devoted to his friends at the cost of everything else/went crazy when confronted with nonlinear time mindset talking with Armin Evangelion style while exploring Ymir's abusive relationship. Eren was always kinda fun as a deconstruction of an idiot shonen protagonist, someone who really was not up for the task given to him. I kinda think that's what they were going for with him and Armin's conversation? Then 1 chapter of the immediate aftermath and epilogue. Instead they crammed it into 1, and it was all poo poo.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

My gut that it was weird that Historia disappeared from the narrative? Spot on cause it was weird in the finale where she doesn't even get a speaking line.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If they replaced ten chapters full of mindless bombastic friend and foe teaming up action and spent them doing anything else it would have been an improvement. Even the big worm ended up being pointless, unless I'm reading it wrong Ymir just wanted to watch some girl kiss a decapitated head and decided to dust the worm?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

hatty posted:

If they replaced ten chapters full of mindless bombastic friend and foe teaming up action and spent them doing anything else it would have been an improvement. Even the big worm ended up being pointless, unless I'm reading it wrong Ymir just wanted to watch some girl kiss a decapitated head and decided to dust the worm?

I guess she just wanted to know that it's okay to let someone go if you loved them cause they were in fact a poo poo person. 2000 years not a single example, but man that girl with the scarf and her necrophilia really got the point across.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Frionnel posted:

Why was my mom eaten by a titan that day, Reiner? Oh wait because i sent the titan there, nevermind my bad

OH gently caress, I had forgotten about that scene.

Seriously, how many flaws can this chapter have. It hasn't been disappointing in one or two points, it's almost every page had an issue. It's like Isayama has been kidnapped and the editor was obligated to hire someone else to write the last chapter.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

This might also be the result of me binging 20+ chapters at once coming in from the anime, but it felt like there were too many scenes that were panel 1 character looking at imminent death panel 2 someone who was off screen jumps in and kills the threat. Was it always like this?

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

It really feels like he wanted to end it on 139 and was going to make that happen even if it didn't make any sense.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

OH gently caress, I had forgotten about that scene.

Seriously, how many flaws can this chapter have. It's like Isayama has been kidnapped and the editor was obligated to hire someone else to write the last chapter.

I know, right?

137 and 138 were flawed too, but they felt flawed in ways that fit the manga. It felt like the same writer, just less on his game.

This... was just confusing.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
no panel of yelena? even if she was just rotting in prison? she was a pretty major character!

anyone remember how the final tokyo ghoul chapter totally omitted two of the most important characters from the first part of the series (amon and his waifu) from the where are they now summary

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

*chanting*
ANIME ONLY ENDING

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Attack on Titan: Conqueror of Shamballa

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I never posted much in this thread but reading the discussion here helped me so much in making sense of all the twists and turns of the story and hype me for more. It feels bad that i'm only posting now to mock this absurd ending instead of appreciating a good one.

I think i'm getting comeuppance for mocking the people who watched GoT.

Edit: Poor anime thread, they don't know what's coming to them.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 9, 2021

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Captain Invictus posted:

Eren, I'm sorry...here is a poop emoji, for your final chapter

Oh is that the fan translation? What's the official translation say?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Implying Eren had a hand in his mother’s death is completely unnecessary and insane, I had been totally fine just assuming Dina was abnormal and special because royal blood.

somebody please provide answers to these dumb questions

bees x1000 posted:

Where Historia ends up is so weird. Why have all these scenes hinting at some connection or plan between her and Eren only for it to be nothing? Parallels with them and Grisha and Dina? Why does Eren confide in her? Why is he involved in her decision to have a child? Why is he there when she approaches the farmer? Why is the farmer an unperson? Why does she look so miserable about the whole thing? Why is her marital status brought up? Why juxtapose scenes of her labor with the rumbling?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
The only answer I can think of is that something must have happened behind the scenes that resulted in a dramatic change in the ending. That's the only way to make sense of the final chapter - and, indeed, much of the final arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

this means nothing