Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

IncredibleIgloo posted:

When the tourist dlc drops, do I have to start a new game or can I just add it in?

Every DLC so far has allowed you to add it into an existing game. You cannot go back though, if you for whatever reason wanted to disable it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

So I’ve had this game since it came out and kept buying the DLC seasons passes but I haven’t been *playing* it.
I’m really intimidated by the min/max optimization of farm fields and production chains to make the most use of your space. I find myself googling those pixel guides that show you how to cram everything into a tight space and I don’t think that kind of stuff is fun at all.

Is there a way to just play the game without having to worry about that stuff? I want to do well in it but I don’t want to constantly alt tab to check what things are supposed to be.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

So I’ve had this game since it came out and kept buying the DLC seasons passes but I haven’t been *playing* it.
I’m really intimidated by the min/max optimization of farm fields and production chains to make the most use of your space. I find myself googling those pixel guides that show you how to cram everything into a tight space and I don’t think that kind of stuff is fun at all.

Is there a way to just play the game without having to worry about that stuff? I want to do well in it but I don’t want to constantly alt tab to check what things are supposed to be.

Unless you want to absolutely jam pack an island with as many investors as possible it is not at all necessary to do any min/maxing. You can easily get to the end game content/sessions with unoptimized islands and whatnot. Perhaps play without any AI competition and just chill out and build however you want to. Some of the end game items and buildings can make your production buildings and farms so powerful that it can make up for being very unoptimized.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Kraftwerk posted:

Most of the time, the game will tell you what you need, so no need for min/maxing. I will note that if your income starts careening wildly it means that somewhere you have a shortage so look at your houses and they'll tell you what you need. Avoid true shortages of workforce, which can be done by paying attention to how many people you need to work a building before building it.

Agree with playing without NPC AI's, however be sure to include Clarence, Madame, et al because they can be key sources of resources when you get short.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Kraftwerk posted:

There's definitely nothing tying you to play like that, in fact I'd make points to the opposite:

- The pixel guides are stupid because now that you paint out farm fields making the most of your space has more to do with painting farms into every corner of an island vs the old stupid perfect squares. You 1000% do not need layout guides to succeed, and I'd argue the opposite for all but like the endgame max-investor-per-power-plant areas.

- There are now so many modifiers to how production chains will develop in the late game that you almost cannot min/max effectively before you get to engineers, oil and commuter piers. Honestly the "correct" way to play I'm finding is just develop organically from farmers to late artisans, but once you get to engineers and commuter piers be ready to kind of rethink everything from that point forward. This is pretty much inevitable no matter how min/max you play since you just don't know what trade union guys you're going to roll in the first 10-20 hours of the game that can very easily make you completely rethink a layout, and oil/electricity is very likely going to make you rework quite a bit of your current towns. Might as well just push that to new islands instead vs tearing everything down and starting over.

- The in-game production screen gives you all the info you need, click on the population or money tabs at the top right, and select production. You can then sort by category and you'll see the supply/demand for resources in real time. You'll have to keep an eye on this regularly but at least it's in game and easy to use.

- The only min/maxy I do recommend when you have the time/space for it is building excess capacity right from the start with any production chain and doing it in an organized fashion. You pretty much always know that you're going to grow out of the 2 potato farms you just laid down so if you have the space on hand why not just put down 8 and throw a trade union in the middle, but leave most in blueprint mode. This way as you grow in population you can just add or modify capacity as needed. Put the schnapps plants right next to them to reduce warehouse pathing, throw a couple warehouses on the end, and you won't have to gently caress with potatos for a while.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 3, 2021

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mazz posted:

- The pixel guides are stupid because now that you paint out farm fields making the most of your space has more to do with painting farms into every corner of an island vs the old stupid perfect squares. You 1000% do not need layout guides to succeed, and I'd argue the opposite for all but like the endgame max-investor-per-power-plant areas.

This is something I absolutely enjoy because other than a handful of animal pastures the old "Put down X modules, each with dimensions AxB" is gone. The "Put down 120 1x1 farm tiles" makes farms far more natural so you don't have 1404's "Hemp Swastikas".

But yeah, Kraftwerk you're absolutely overthinking everything here. The game gives you more than enough space and you only have to get anywhere close to Mazz's level of madness in late game if/when you're trying to fill up Cape Trelawny with investors. Even then you're more likely to be limited by gold unless you're using the Docklands. Also the Docklands absolutely breaks the game as it lets you do silly things like trade finished products for all of the raw materials you could ever want. You don't need to worry about having enough land for grain farms if you're trading bread and/or beer for that wheat.

...Also Tourism DLC when?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Alkydere posted:

This is something I absolutely enjoy because other than a handful of animal pastures the old "Put down X modules, each with dimensions AxB" is gone. The "Put down 120 1x1 farm tiles" makes farms far more natural so you don't have 1404's "Hemp Swastikas".

But yeah, Kraftwerk you're absolutely overthinking everything here. The game gives you more than enough space and you only have to get anywhere close to Mazz's level of madness in late game if/when you're trying to fill up Cape Trelawny with investors. Even then you're more likely to be limited by gold unless you're using the Docklands. Also the Docklands absolutely breaks the game as it lets you do silly things like trade finished products for all of the raw materials you could ever want. You don't need to worry about having enough land for grain farms if you're trading bread and/or beer for that wheat.

...Also Tourism DLC when?

I have thought a couple times about going back and playing 1404 and 2070 again just to remember them but the farm field thing makes that impossible. It's the best change in the entire world and I cannot go back to the old style.

The funny thing about it is while my end result will always end up like this it's not a pure statistical min/max mindset; it's that I absolutely hate wasting island space, especially when that means offloading production to a different island. I hated how the optimal layouts often meant anything but squares were hard to use in 1404 and that's probably reason #1 I can't go back.

It's definitely works in my favor that trade unions kind of benefit from the same kind of cattle-car building I like to do regardless.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 3, 2021

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah starting a game with no expanding ais is my preferred way to the play.

You know what's really fun though and fully breaks you out of worry about what you "should" have? Don't set up steel beam production. Not even joking. Just set up a buy order and save yourself the manpower. Makes getting to the artisans so much easier when you don't need to keep 200 spare workers, plus more workers and farmers for the goods they need, and even more farmers for the goods the farmers need.

Costs money yes, but instead of 200 workers to get 1.5 a minute you can just make more soap and sell that to eli and get 50 ever 3 minutes or however long it's takes the ship to make the trip plus a minimum the ai ships will sell you at yourbdoxks

Breaks down once you start laying down rails but by that point you can get electricity which makes the steelworks worth the price more and let's you open up enough manpower to place it down with less issues.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mazz posted:

I have thought a couple times about going back and playing 1404 and 2070 again just to remember them but the farm field thing makes that impossible. It's the best change in the entire world and I cannot go back to the old style.

The funny thing about it is while my end result will always end up like this it's not a pure statistical min/max mindset; it's that I absolutely hate wasting island space, especially when that means offloading production to a different island. I hated how the optimal layouts often meant anything but squares were hard to use in 1404 and that's probably reason #1 I can't go back.

It's definitely works in my favor that trade unions kind of benefit from the same kind of cattle-car building I like to do regardless.

Oh I absolutely agree. I just wanna paint all the tiles in a chunk of land as farmland and take up every bit of space. Which gets a big messy during the transition to farm automation as you build up enough steel and steam engines for the next tractor shed, but it's still so nice to just see an area filled up.

And yeah, not sure I could go back to 1404/2070. 2205 wasn't that bad: if you run out of space to build a module you just build another base building and suffer a mild power/workforce/cost efficiency hit. However 2205 has all the personality of a loaf of wonder-bread.

Agean90 posted:

Yeah starting a game with no expanding ais is my preferred way to the play.

You know what's really fun though and fully breaks you out of worry about what you "should" have? Don't set up steel beam production. Not even joking. Just set up a buy order and save yourself the manpower. Makes getting to the artisans so much easier when you don't need to keep 200 spare workers, plus more workers and farmers for the goods they need, and even more farmers for the goods the farmers need.

Costs money yes, but instead of 200 workers to get 1.5 a minute you can just make more soap and sell that to eli and get 50 ever 3 minutes or however long it's takes the ship to make the trip plus a minimum the ai ships will sell you at yourbdoxks

Breaks down once you start laying down rails but by that point you can get electricity which makes the steelworks worth the price more and let's you open up enough manpower to place it down with less issues.

I feel once you get into artisans (at least past setting up windows and either canned food or sewing machines) you should have steel. That being said, its absolutely a valid and even great idea to not build your own steelworks right away: it gets so much easier to staff one when your Worker houses are actually fully fed to produce 20 workforce (not to mention you skip out on the issue of your workers being all grumpy about not having beer as you spend all that time freaking out trying to get the workforce for your steel mills). Just buy your steel from the AIs via a buy order and/or buying from Archie.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Yeah I totally agree about not producing steel initially. It's an expensive production chain (both in maintenance and manpower), and early on you don't need that much of it. Once you've got a couple of higher pop tiers with luxuries and rolling in cash, then go back and start setting a chain or two up.

And re-iterating what everyone else has said: with 1800 you really don't need to follow production layouts or guides. Beyond the first couple of tiers, the building chains don't line up (2x minute, 3x minute etc). It feels wasteful, but there's no point following a building guide and building a perfectly efficient triple-size beer chain or whatever, because you're going to be passing maintenance out the arse and receiving no benefit.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Also there are so many permutations of items + industry + geography that following the WWW's optimal solution is a manly task not befitting of the circumstances, imo

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Omnicarus posted:

Also there are so many permutations of items + industry + geography that following the WWW's optimal solution is a manly task not befitting of the circumstances, imo

Especially when you start adding stuff that adjusts the amount of space a farm or pasture uses (Though I think the "uses less pastures" stuff is only in Enbessa) or gives bonus resources or outright switches out what a resource chain uses.

I think my favorite is Canned Food for how many ways you can get that scramble what they're made out of. Uses Iron Ore and Goulash, the latter uses Red Peppers and Beef.

Well Beef can be swapped out with Pigs...or you get rid of the entire cannery and have your Butcheries produce their Sausage with a side of Goulash out of Beef instead of Pigs. Alternatively Goulash as a whole can be swapped out for Pigs (which is the best because you suddenly don't need Beef, Peppers or Goulash and can clear all those out) and Iron Ore can be swapped out for Flour which means you're now selling Calzones (and you have more iron to use for everything else that requires iron)

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I think my current favorites are the guy who lets schnapps plants make rum and the fur dealer who lets fur coats use wool. Just straight up remove 2 of the early annoying new world chains. Also the actor town hall lady that gives rum and canned food with theater access.

I know there are even crazier legendary ones out there but you can roll these at the prison relatively common and put off the new world for the entire artisan tier

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 4, 2021

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Alkydere posted:

Alternatively Goulash as a whole can be swapped out for Pigs (which is the best because you suddenly don't need Beef, Peppers or Goulash and can clear all those out) and Iron Ore can be swapped out for Flour which means you're now selling Calzones (and you have more iron to use for everything else that requires iron)

No, those are pretty clearly pork pies, not calzones.

Mazz posted:

I think my current favorites are the guy who lets schnapps plants make rum and the fur dealer who lets fur coats use wool. Just straight up remove 2 of the early annoying new world chains. Also the actor town hall lady that gives rum and canned food with theater access.

I definitely use those, but I feel like they're a bad feature meant to paper over the shortage of new world planting space/insane coffee requirements of investors.

I built one of the optimal pig producing layouts and half-assed a similar one for wool, then quickly discovered that cargo loading times are the biggest bottleneck, underscoring the point someone made earlier about supplying more of your islands' needs locally if you can. Piers and level 1 harbours take load 2 ton of goods per second, so a full cargo ship unload + load takes a whopping 5 minutes. An upgrade harbour takes that down to 2 minutes, but chances are you still need at least a couple of piers on your busier islands. The most you can do to minimize this is stack the two best ship loading time people (+45% and +60%) to cut these times to a little less than half, and I suppose there's a rather expensive pier upgrade available with Land of Lions but I don't have that DLC.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Mazz posted:

I know there are even crazier legendary ones out there but you can roll these at the prison relatively common and put off the new world for the entire artisan tier

Docklands does this for me. I just make a bunch of sails and get all the workclothes I could ever use.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

eXXon posted:

No, those are pretty clearly pork pies, not calzones.

I definitely use those, but I feel like they're a bad feature meant to paper over the shortage of new world planting space/insane coffee requirements of investors.

I built one of the optimal pig producing layouts and half-assed a similar one for wool, then quickly discovered that cargo loading times are the biggest bottleneck, underscoring the point someone made earlier about supplying more of your islands' needs locally if you can. Piers and level 1 harbours take load 2 ton of goods per second, so a full cargo ship unload + load takes a whopping 5 minutes. An upgrade harbour takes that down to 2 minutes, but chances are you still need at least a couple of piers on your busier islands. The most you can do to minimize this is stack the two best ship loading time people (+45% and +60%) to cut these times to a little less than half, and I suppose there's a rather expensive pier upgrade available with Land of Lions but I don't have that DLC.

I would agree you shouldn’t aim to ship any good that isn't explicitly necessary; either stuff off map or on a hellworld production island with no population where you are cranking worker misery up via commuter pier. Shipping just introduces more plates to spin that are ultimately unnecessary pre-Engineers.

This is at a basic level is what makes the costume designer and actor so good; you can support a pretty sizable artisan population on an island (as long as it has hunting lodges) without any shipping required, and especially not the 10 minute bullshit that is new/old world transit. You effectively move your entire shipping requirement a whole tier forward, which also lines it up with commuter piers.

I have a bit of a effortpost in mind for my newest game to go over stuff I'm doing since it was generally well received last time; I basically just finished my 6000 farmer/6000 worker/1500 artisans island that is entirely self sustained via this exact strat. I planned to just downgrade the artisans back to workers but realized they take no effort to actually keep around with an actor and designer active and I have the capacity to produce a lot of excess beer, soap and fur to send to the various AI. At this point (or as soon I as upgrade some houses to engineers and then back down) I'm free to head to another island or Trelawney and take my time laying everything out without having to think about farmers or workers for effectively the rest of the game (I might add more in Trelawney depending on how things shake out).

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 4, 2021

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

eXXon posted:

Docklands has a harbor district module that will give +50% load/unload speed for an island. Of course you can only build the harbor districts in the Old World and in Cape Trelawny maps but it's better than nothing. Upgrading your main island warehouse on any island in any map will also upgrade at least that pier's load rate.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
So I had this game just sitting in storage for probably years because I'm a basic bitch and couldn't find where to get all the DLC on Steam.

But, thankfully, I finally thought to look in the community section and some helpful person posted links! So now I'm going to start working through the season passes.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Mazz posted:

I’ve decided to jump back in after popping in here today; playing the campaign again to feel out all the changes and then I’ll find a seed I like and aim for a 100k investor game. I always struggle when the pops get that large but 1800 is the first to really let you break the game in half with all the trade union and other bonuses so I think I’ll enjoy puzzling that together more than I did in like 1404/2700.

Also holy poo poo do silos own but man it puts even more emphasis on getting your grain and hops fields min/maxed early. Terrified of the impending tractor rework as noted; I assume the same route of getting commuter docks and then restructuring is still probably the safest play, if time consuming.

Tractors are insane. One fuel station (which uses a negligible amount of workers/obreros) takes up a single oil derrick and can supply 20 barns. Every farm with a barn requires 50% more fields, but halves its workforce and gets +200% productivity. You save so much space (and farmer/jornalero workforce) with it, it's great. Like, pre-GH trade union setups have nothing on this poo poo.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Magni posted:

Tractors are insane. One fuel station (which uses a negligible amount of workers/obreros) takes up a single oil derrick and can supply 20 barns. Every farm with a barn requires 50% more fields, but halves its workforce and gets +200% productivity. You save so much space (and farmer/jornalero workforce) with it, it's great. Like, pre-GH trade union setups have nothing on this poo poo.

Yep I just got to that stage on my most recent game and I realized I am massively overbudgeted on farmland now between trade union buffs and tractors. I can produce a simply insane amount of excess grain and hops with the space I alloted, working on getting Pirate Lady to accept trade rights then I’m going to drown her rear end in beer.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 5, 2021

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Just a reminder that tomorrow the Vehicle Liveries pack drops for Amazon Prime members (for free).

If you're not subscribed to Bezo's gold toilet fund, you can grab it at an unspecified time later this year for an unspecified amount of money.

Details!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Magni posted:

They also give one extra resource every 3 or so cycles, so it's even higher than what the percentages suggest.

What's the tractor rework? They're not getting nerfed are they :ohdear:

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Kris xK posted:

Just a reminder that tomorrow the Vehicle Liveries pack drops for Amazon Prime members (for free).

If you're not subscribed to Bezo's gold toilet fund, you can grab it at an unspecified time later this year for an unspecified amount of money.

Details!

This is now out. Overall some decent ship skins and a lot of trains.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Omnicarus posted:

This is now out. Overall some decent ship skins and a lot of trains.

Yeah, those are some slick skins. Especially approve of the airship ones. Love how there's now a whopping nine train skin/models now.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

How do you claim it?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Mayveena posted:

How do you claim it?

link your Prime account to your Ubi account and it shows up

the free trial will allow this, as well, if you don't have Prime

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Mayveena posted:

How do you claim it?

https://gaming.amazon.com/loot/anno1800

I wasn't able to get it to work on my phone but on desktop it went through no problem.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Thanks folks!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

How do I get the building powered? The power plant has oil

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
It needs an adjacent road for the power lines to run over. All of them do, I mean -- so you need roads next to the power plant too.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Redeye Flight posted:

It needs an adjacent road for the power lines to run over. All of them do, I mean -- so you need roads next to the power plant too.

Thanks, so simple :sigh:

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Mayveena posted:

Also brick roads conduct power better for some reason which can be very helpful in getting everything covered with the fewest possible plants

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Mayveena posted:

Yeah it's an easy to make mistake. I generally lay a road on either side of my rails (with regular crossings) to prevent moments like this. Also right now you're gonna wanna shove every single refinement building there. Anything that takes a raw or intermediate product and turns it into an intermediate or final product. Everything from your expensive Canneries and Sewing Machine factories to the workshops making linen garments. Though you might want to make a separate block for your Schnapps Distilleries surrounded by fire stations: 200% or more production tends to make them explode. But yeah, suddenly you're gonna have a bunch of money and workforce.

You absolutely want to put your iron and steel refineries in the power zone.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

blackmongoose posted:

Also brick roads conduct power better for some reason which can be very helpful in getting everything covered with the fewest possible plants

You should upgrade to brick roads everywhere as standard practice; they improve travel time for warehouse carts and extend the range of all road based buildings, which is everything in the game but trade unions and town halls.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Are there any obstacles to just using a free trial amazon prime account to claim the new skins?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Davincie posted:

Are there any obstacles to just using a free trial amazon prime account to claim the new skins?

nope :)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Why don't the Engineer buildings get electricity? Thanks for the previous help!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

great, thanks

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Mayveena posted:

Why don't the Engineer buildings get electricity? Thanks for the previous help!

When you have the power plant selected it should highlight any powered roads green. You're likely missing a short enough path. Railroads do not transmit power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Eschatos posted:

When you have the power plant selected it should highlight any powered roads green. You're likely missing a short enough path. Railroads do not transmit power.

The streets around the Engineers are highlighted green when I click the power plant.